The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
G33K
The guy you will someday work

Nature: Naughty

Advertise here
How might i reset that offset that hinkage mentined? (0x80000000)

Last edited by G33K; December 20th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33K View Post
How might i reset that offset that hinkage mentined? (0x80000000)

Just click "Open Script" in A-Map without assigning anyone a script.

You can edit it, but there's no real point -- in script form it's just nonsense, and changing anything will brick your game.
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
G33K
The guy you will someday work

[SIZE="a"]thanks for the quick reply. and i needed this info because it got screwed up and it wont open in vba so i need to replace it with the script from an un-edited rom.[/SIZE]
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:55 AM
Seppi
Sparkle sparkle

I'm trying to hack Firered, and I'm wondering, is there an easy way to change the order that Pokemon appear in the Pokedex? I tried using the tool from here but it just screwed the Pokedex up.
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Sky93

Is it possible to change wild pokemon found a route after you get the national dex? In other words, is it possible to have one set of pokemon in a specified route with the regional dex, and a different set for that same route once the national dex is gained?

ROMs I Support:
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky93 View Post
Is it possible to change wild pokemon found a route after you get the national dex? In other words, is it possible to have one set of pokemon in a specified route with the regional dex, and a different set for that same route once the national dex is gained?
Yes, but you would need to find that block of data in the RAM, and then make a routine/script changing that block, and set up a script to activate said routine or script when certain conditions are met as an enter-the-map type script.

Yeah, I don't know where any of that is either. But it's in there somewhere, so you can certainly do that.

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
gameguru

Nature: Careful
In Fire Red Is there any way to make tm's permanent like they are in Pokemon White\Black?
Like, If you use a TM it doesn't go away, because it can be used an infinite number of times.
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
raekuul
Team Anorith Grunt

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to raekuul Send a message via Yahoo to raekuul
I'm trying to do a simple "fix" for Yellow, fixing the type matchups to be more similar to how they are in later generations. I've gotten so used to having a ghost take down a psychic on its own that going back to the Gen 1 type matchups is jarring. I've been looking through the thread, but I can't seem to find anything that's close enough to what I'm looking for (the closest match was a type matchups editor... for Gen 3).

Is there a tool I can use for this? If not, what do I look for in the hex addresses?

No longer doing Monotype Challenges
I support the following names: Coppereon, Wyrmeon, Scorpeon, Skarmory, Watelp
Hex Addresses for type information
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru View Post
In Fire Red Is there any way to make tm's permanent like they are in Pokemon White\Black?
Like, If you use a TM it doesn't go away, because it can be used an infinite number of times.
ASM, probably. I don't know if there's an easier way.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:12 AM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by liladeel11 View Post
I need help with nicknaming pokemon. For the starter pokemon.
A typical code for nicknaming the starter pokemon would look like this:

Code:
setvar 0x8004 0x0
fadescreen 0x1
special 0x9E
waitstate
with the ... signifying code you write before and afterward. This should work for either Firered or Ruby.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Last edited by redriders180; December 22nd, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
neosiotype
Beginning Trainer

My question back in May has gone unheard. :/ Which is surprising considering it's a really simple question. Help me out guys.

I noticed that when giving new and longer text to npcs sometimes different npcs may say parts of that text. Also sometimes entire routes of trainers would mysteriously disappear.

To elaborate I think it has to do with data modification and over writing in places that weren't free. Can you guys please tell me a little about that and the free space finder in advance map? I completely had to start a new hack because of it and so far I've just done map editing since then.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosiotype View Post
My question back in May has gone unheard. :/ Which is surprising considering it's a really simple question. Help me out guys.

I noticed that when giving new and longer text to npcs sometimes different npcs may say parts of that text. Also sometimes entire routes of trainers would mysteriously disappear.

To elaborate I think it has to do with data modification and over writing in places that weren't free. Can you guys please tell me a little about that and the free space finder in advance map? I completely had to start a new hack because of it and so far I've just done map editing since then.
I think what happens is part of the hex in the game is overwritten by the words the character says. This overwrites all the code that follows it, making other characters say what they're supposed to. The easiest thing to do would be to use the dynamic offsets XSE provides. Dynamic Offsets (if you don't know) are nice because XSE will look for free space automatically, and stick the code in there, with pretty no chance of overwriting anything. To do it, you just start all your code with the following:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
The start writing the code. Instead of using 0xOFFSET to define msgbox and stuff, you use an @, followed by a sort of "nickname" for the offset. For example, you'd say:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
msgbox @message MSG_FACE
release
end

#org @message
= Hi there!
When you compile, it tells you all the offsets that XSE puts in. The first one (@start in this case) is the one you want. Copy and Paste the offset it gives you for @start and put it in your event. I hope this wasn't too complicated, and I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosiotype View Post

This happens because you compile an already compiled script with new data that exceed the old one in size. As in, if you write new text in a dialogue script but the new text is more than the old one and compile, even one extra space makes the difference in bytes and scrambles up other dialogues. So when you're recompiling a script, you can only augment it by repointing. You will need to know how to hex edit in order to do that, though.

You can always edit a script if the changes you make on it leave the same number of bytes-or lower, but if the number of bytes is higher than the previous number, it will compile but screw up stuff. Otherwise, you can always make new scripts as the poster above me suggests.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
redriders180

In Firered, does anyone know the value of the variable which stores which way the player is facing, and which values of it mean which direction? I think 0x4 means facing right, but not any of the others.

Last edited by redriders180; December 22nd, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
In Firered, does anyone know the value of the variable which stores which way the player is facing, and which values of it mean which direction? I think 0x4 means facing right, but not any of the others.
I think its these values
0x0 = Face Down
0x1 = Face Up
0x2 = Face Left
0x3 = Face Right
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
SwirlyBirds
apparently not quite dead
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryrichardson View Post
can someone use pokemon diamond as a base rom and make everything like emerald
as a remake coment if you can please
First of all, this is not a request thread, so you shouldn't really be asking for someone to make one. However, there is a hack of Diamond which is a remake - or, using the proper term a demake - of Pokémon Sapphire Version. Find it here.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
raekuul
Team Anorith Grunt

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to raekuul Send a message via Yahoo to raekuul
I found the answer to my question ; I just needed to look in the right place. The information is now linked to in my signature.

No longer doing Monotype Challenges
I support the following names: Coppereon, Wyrmeon, Scorpeon, Skarmory, Watelp
Hex Addresses for type information
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Ruizhe
Beginning Trainer

OK. Now i am doing a hack and it includes a friendship system. I figure that i need to use a lot of safety vars to read and write. However I have already searched for a list of used vars and flags but all the info that I can reach is about FireRed. Can anybody show me a list like that for Emerald? Or can anyone tell me another way to modify that friendship system?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Binary
え?

Quote:
The value of the player's facing direction is stored in 0x800C. If I'm correct, the values for the directions are:
0x1 = down
0x2 = up
0x3 = left
0x4 = right

For Example:
Code:
compare 0x800C 0x1 
if 0x1 call @down
Old December 24th, 2011, 06:07 AM
liladeel11
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
A typical code for nicknaming the starter pokemon would look like this:

Code:
setvar 0x8004 0x0
fadescreen 0x1
special 0x9E
waitstate
with the ... signifying code you write before and afterward. This should work for either Firered or Ruby.
What does var 0x8004 0x0 do? Does it have to be that var?
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by liladeel11 View Post
What does var 0x8004 0x0 do? Does it have to be that var?
I believe that var is whatever Pokemon slot the nicknamed Poke is at. Since its the first Pokemon your player gets, it'll be in the first slot of the party, which is 0x0. The special reads from 0x8004, and not any other variables, so it has to be that one.

Old December 24th, 2011, 10:53 PM
kkj1116
New Account: jwibagi

Can anyone tell me how to clear the RAM offset of Pokemon Ruby's Hall of Fame data?
I'd like to know how to clear it so that if I get a win, I could 0x00 a certain offset and have it set as having no hall of fame record.

(If you reply to this, please notify me!)
Be sure to check my new account for my next Generation II hack!
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM
riotorange
Beginning Trainer

I've got a basic understanding of scripting, maybe a little too basic, but I'm just starting out, so bare with me.

I can't figure out how to script how my game actually begins. Of course it begins with the pokemon professor talking to you, and after that's over with you get shoved out into the world of pokemon. What I need help with is what happens after that. I'm using ruby as my base, so after the professor asks me my name and whatnot I end up in the back of a truck on the way to my house. I want to change it to where I start out in my bed.

How do I do this? I'm using AdvanceMap and XSE.

Thanks,

Riot
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
liladeel11
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
I believe that var is whatever Pokemon slot the nicknamed Poke is at. Since its the first Pokemon your player gets, it'll be in the first slot of the party, which is 0x0. The special reads from 0x8004, and not any other variables, so it has to be that one.
So what happens if the pokemon is sent to the box?
Old December 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ruizhe
Beginning Trainer

Can anybody teach me how to create a map where every wild pokemon in it is uncatchable (while the same pokemon can be caught outside this map?)

Much appreciated!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here