Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 25th, 2011 (04:40 PM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Ruizhe:
Can anybody teach me how to create a map where every wild pokemon in it is uncatchable (while the same pokemon can be caught outside this map?)

Much appreciated!
This isn't something easy to do especially for multiple pokemon but for some information you can refer to this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=250580 You could also recreate the pokemon in the 25 empty slots in between Celebi and Treecko and set the catch rate to 0.

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
Old December 25th, 2011 (05:14 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by liladeel11:
So what happens if the pokemon is sent to the box?
The code I gave you works only if it's the starter Pokemon, which usually isn't sent to a box. In the case where it's a gift Pokemon that ISNT a starter, you have to use more creativity. Generally, the following would work:

Code:
... \\give the player the Pokemon
countpokemon \\counts the number of Pokemon in your party
subvar LASTRESULT 0x1 \\explained below
copyvar 0x8004 LASTRESULT \\copies LASTRESULT to the variable 0x8004
fadescreen 0x1 \\turns the screen black
special 0x9E \\nickname special
waitstate \\wait till done nicknaming
... \\rest of the code
The reason you subtract one is because of the following: Suppose you have one Pokemon. countpokemon will return the value 0x1. But the Pokemon itself is in the first slot, which has a value of 0x0. Since you gave the player a Pokemon, it'll be at the bottom of the party. The script counts how many Pokemon you have, and subtracts one, giving the slot number of the final Pokemon, or the Pokemon you gave. It then continues as before.

There is a way to nickname a Pokemon sent to a box though. From what I can tell, the givepokemon code actually returns a value to LASTRESULT. LASTRESULT is 0x0 if its in the party, 0x1 if it goes to a box, and 0x2 if there's no room in the party or in a box. If you really want to put this in, it'll add alot more branches to the code (You'll have to do different scripts is the player knows its 'Someone's PC' vs 'Bill's PC', among others), but it can be nicknamed with the following:

Code:
... \\Give the player the Pokemon, check if LASTRESULT is 0x1
fadescreen 0x1
special 0x166
waitstate
... \\The rest of the code
Of course, the simplest way is to just countpokemon before the gift, and refuse to give it if there's more than six in the party.

Edit: If you need to know more, I suggest getting a clean Firered rom and going to map 10.11, which is in Celadon City. The Pokeball on the desk gives the player an Eevee, and has everything you need to know about nicknaming things that are about to go to a box

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old December 25th, 2011 (06:36 PM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Hello. I have a small question about JPAN's hack engine. I download both versions 1.0 and 1.1 and got the same result. No matter when its on an edited ROM or a clean FireRed ROM when I patch the engine and leave the house I start in I appear stuck in the middle of odd tiles and I can't move. If it at all helps this is what happens when I exit the house:

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
Old December 25th, 2011 (06:43 PM).
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

Quote originally posted by Speedster:
Hello. I have a small question about JPAN's hack engine. I download both versions 1.0 and 1.1 and got the same result. No matter when its on an edited ROM or a clean FireRed ROM when I patch the engine and leave the house I start in I appear stuck in the middle of odd tiles and I can't move. If it at all helps this is what happens when I exit the house:

No worries, just fix the warp frm the house to pallet town again on A-map this shud fix d problem.
Old December 25th, 2011 (09:10 PM).
AustinWolff
has left

Nature: Brave
money script problem
rom: ruby
Script editor: XSE

the show money command doesn't work, making the other moony commands useless! can anyone help?
Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
checkflag 0x212
if 0x1 goto @done
applymovement 0x3 @move
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @1 0x6
showmoney 0x00 0x00 0x00
givemoney 0x1F4 0x00
updatemoney 0x00 0x00 0x00
hidemoney 0x00 0x00
msgbox @2 0x6
msgbox @3 0x6
applymovement 0x3 @move2
waitmovement 0x0
hidesprite 0x3
setflag 0x212
setflag 0x211
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x56
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0xFE

#org @1
= Hi trainer! I feel the need\nto share my money!

#org @2
= [red_rs]\v\h01: Thanks!

#org @3
= [blue_rs]Savings Guy: No problem!
Old December 25th, 2011 (11:55 PM).
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by AustinWolff:
money script problem
rom: ruby
Script editor: XSE

the show money command doesn't work, making the other moony commands useless! can anyone help?
Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
checkflag 0x212
if 0x1 goto @done
applymovement 0x3 @move
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @1 0x6
showmoney 0x00 0x00 0x00
givemoney 0x1F4 0x00
updatemoney 0x00 0x00 0x00
hidemoney 0x00 0x00
msgbox @2 0x6
msgbox @3 0x6
applymovement 0x3 @move2
waitmovement 0x0
hidesprite 0x3
setflag 0x212
setflag 0x211
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x56
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0x16
#raw 0xFE

#org @1
= Hi trainer! I feel the need\nto share my money!

#org @2
= [red_rs]\v\h01: Thanks!

#org @3
= [blue_rs]Savings Guy: No problem!
Are you sure it's not running? The way you have the money codes one after the other, it's basically showing the money and then hiding the money very fast. Are the things after the money commands working? If they are, maybe put a pause 0x20 after the updatemoney command.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old December 26th, 2011 (12:01 AM).
Ruizhe
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Speedster:
This isn't something easy to do especially for multiple pokemon but for some information you can refer to this:
You could also recreate the pokemon in the 25 empty slots in between Celebi and Treecko and set the catch rate to 0.
Thanks a lot! The thread that you showed will be very helpful in the future(for i am still a beginner in ASM.)

Actually I need to reserve the 25 slots for some more pokemons, so...errr.. I wouldn't do this in that way.

Thanks again!
Old December 26th, 2011 (12:53 AM).
TheUltimateG.J

I want to make a wild pokemon battle script can any1 help me?

A lover of Pokemon and their Hacks this is no other than?

Only he can be----->G.J
Old December 26th, 2011 (06:21 AM).
liladeel11
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
I believe that var is whatever Pokemon slot the nicknamed Poke is at. Since its the first Pokemon your player gets, it'll be in the first slot of the party, which is 0x0. The special reads from 0x8004, and not any other variables, so it has to be that one.
This is the script I used it didn't work

#org $start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x828
if 0x01 goto $given
message $talk
$talk 1 = Take this Bulbasaur!
boxset 6
givepokemon 1 15 0x8B
message $name
$name 1 = Would you like to rename this \nPokemon?
boxset 5
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 0x01 gosub $nick
fadescreen 0
setflag 0x828
release
end

#org $nick
copyvar 0x8004 0x0
fadescreen 1
special 0x166
#raw 0x27
return

#org $given
message $ey
$ey 1 = I only have 1.
boxset 6
release
end
Old December 26th, 2011 (11:27 AM).
AustinWolff
has left

no, the other money commands aren't showing, and where should I put the pause in between?
Old December 26th, 2011 (03:12 PM). Edited December 26th, 2011 by redriders180.
redriders180

Quote originally posted by liladeel11:
This is the script I used it didn't work
#org $nick
copyvar 0x8004 0x0
fadescreen 1
special 0x166
#raw 0x27
return
I don't know what code language this is (I use XSE), but I think I can decipher it. In XSE, copyvar takes the value of one variable and puts it in another. Since there are no variables called 0x0, you should replace "copyvar 0x8004 0x0" with "setvar 0x8004 0x0", or whatever language you're using's alternative.

Quote originally posted by AustinWolff:
no, the other money commands aren't showing, and where should I put the pause in between?
It'd look a little like this:
Code:
showmoney 0x0 0x0 0x0
givemoney AMOUNT 0x0
updatemoney 0x0 0x0 0x0
pause 0x20 \\about a one second pause
hidemoney 0x0 0x0

Old December 26th, 2011 (03:19 PM).
AustinWolff
has left

thanks!

edit: tried it out in the rom, but still nothing showed. maybe I have to download another XSE
Old December 26th, 2011 (03:50 PM). Edited December 26th, 2011 by Pinta.
Pinta
Beginning Trainer

This should be a simple question I hope.

In pokemon emerald, I am scripting a wild battle.

0= Normal music.
1= legendary battle.
2= Earthquake or something? lol

Does anyone know the numbers for the mew wild battle theme and/or the regis wild battle theme?

Thanks in advance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote originally posted by Ganeshwar:
wildbattle 151 50 1

[pokemon#] [level#] [music#]

for the music

0 = normal
1 = legendary
3 = regi theme on ruby and saphire roms I think

So the example I used [wildbattle 151 50 1] Would be a battle with a level 50 mew and legendary music.
Old December 26th, 2011 (04:48 PM).
redriders180

Quote originally posted by Ganeshwar:
Or, alternatively, if you use XSE, the code is:

wildbattle [Species Number] [Level] [Item #]

For example, wildbattle 0x9C 0x64 0x1 would be a battle against a Level 100 Quilava, holding a Masterball.

Old December 26th, 2011 (06:12 PM).
Flashpoint
→ P e r s i s t e n c e
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Flashpoint Send a message via Skype™ to Flashpoint
I apologize if this does not go here.

I have been watching this youtube clip countless times and following step by step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDwxD2v6RMY

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong? Right after I go to photoshop and click "color table" under image. It won't click. I am very confused as to why this isn't working since I'm following each step. I have CS4 not 3 but I'm not sure if that affects anything.

Old December 26th, 2011 (08:02 PM).
aesdeeefjaykayel
Beginning Trainer

Hello! (:

So, I'm thinking this is the place for this question? If not, then feel free to ignore me.

How to explain this... I want to make a hack of a game, but the hack isn't actually going to have any pokemon in it? faskdl;fj It sounds really bad when I say it like that, but I've got an idea that I think is pretty cool and I'd love to see work. (:

Anyways, I was wondering if a few things were even possible with hacking. For example:

Can you change the start menu at all? Like where it says...Pokedex, make it say something else?

And is it possible to edit the animation where a Pokeball is being thrown in to use a Pokemon in a battle?
Old December 26th, 2011 (09:12 PM).
monkeymz1
Beginning Trainer

Sorry if this post isnt in the right spot im not very used to these forums yet. I'm wondering how to add a person that when you talk to them they give you some items? I haven't found a tutorial anywhere and I've seen it in a different rom hack. Sorry if this is a "nooby question" but I can't find my answer anywhere. Thanks, and again sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Old December 27th, 2011 (09:19 AM).
Itcheeee

I don't believe I see this question asked before, but probably because this may not be possible. My question is, simply how to I (in firered) have a tag-along character. For example, In Colleceum/Gale of Darkness a character tags along and is able to speak. In my hack, I want 2 characters (or one, if needs be) to fallow the playable character and at times they would need to say a couple things, that would be the easy part. But I don't believe the tag-along system has been implemented in a main series game before. gbc/gba/ds). But I have a bad memory and haven't played all the games. The pokemon tag-along system (pikachu in yellow, pokemon in heartgold/soulsilver) may be to be edited to suit my need, but again, I am new at hacking and probably want more then is possible. If anyone can help give some info on this I'd be greatful, thank you.
Old December 27th, 2011 (09:27 AM).
redriders180

Quote originally posted by Itcheeee:
I don't believe I see this question asked before, but probably because this may not be possible. My question is, simply how to I (in firered) have a tag-along character. For example, In Colleceum/Gale of Darkness a character tags along and is able to speak. In my hack, I want 2 characters (or one, if needs be) to fallow the playable character and at times they would need to say a couple things, that would be the easy part. But I don't believe the tag-along system has been implemented in a main series game before. gbc/gba/ds). But I have a bad memory and haven't played all the games. The pokemon tag-along system (pikachu in yellow, pokemon in heartgold/soulsilver) may be to be edited to suit my need, but again, I am new at hacking and probably want more then is possible. If anyone can help give some info on this I'd be greatful, thank you.
I've seen the tag-along system implemented before, but it has many bugs. There's alot to it. For example, if you interact with another person or a signpost, the tagging-along person stops following you. Also, using applymovement and waitmovement cause the gameplay to be very jerky, since you have to stop afterwards and wait for the following character to make its step. Either way, it requires ASM and alot of patience.

Old December 27th, 2011 (10:57 AM).
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Itcheeee:
At this time, It is not possible to get it to work efficiently. It is still extremely glitchy and full of bugs. It's still under work now but don't expect it be working any time soon.

Also you would also require to do an ASM hack. A lot more complex then scripting.

If your new to hacking, you'd want to learn everything there is to know about scripting before moving onto ASM hacking.

Old December 27th, 2011 (11:54 AM).
redriders180

Now time for a question from me. I'm hacking Firered, and want to know how to have the player warp while surfing. Usually, if I'm surfing and use a warp, it'll revert my OW to the usual walking one, and I want it to stay surfing. How can I do this?

Edit: This needs to be done via script. Changing the behavior byte won't help, because I need it at a certain one.

Old December 27th, 2011 (12:12 PM). Edited December 27th, 2011 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by WHISBII:
I apologize if this does not go here.

I have been watching this youtube clip countless times and following step by step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDwxD2v6RMY

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong? Right after I go to photoshop and click "color table" under image. It won't click. I am very confused as to why this isn't working since I'm following each step. I have CS4 not 3 but I'm not sure if that affects anything.
For goodness sakes use Paint! Photoshop is used for actual pictures.

Oh, and most importantly you'll need to learn how to actually do it.

And also, this thread has some things you should download (APE should help you somewhat with Tilesets).

Quote originally posted by monkeymz1:
Sorry if this post isnt in the right spot im not very used to these forums yet. I'm wondering how to add a person that when you talk to them they give you some items? I haven't found a tutorial anywhere and I've seen it in a different rom hack. Sorry if this is a "nooby question" but I can't find my answer anywhere. Thanks, and again sorry if this is in the wrong place.
XSE Tutorial

Search Function, you know? A great place to look.

Quote originally posted by aesdeeefjaykayel:
Hello! (:

So, I'm thinking this is the place for this question? If not, then feel free to ignore me.

How to explain this... I want to make a hack of a game, but the hack isn't actually going to have any pokemon in it? faskdl;fj It sounds really bad when I say it like that, but I've got an idea that I think is pretty cool and I'd love to see work. (:

Anyways, I was wondering if a few things were even possible with hacking. For example:

Can you change the start menu at all? Like where it says...Pokedex, make it say something else?

And is it possible to edit the animation where a Pokeball is being thrown in to use a Pokemon in a battle?
You can change anything text related fairly easily. Go on a hex editor and search for a string of letters that correspond. For example, if I want to search for "AAH BEES" I would use the search function in your hex editor and type in "BB BB C2 00 BC BF BF CD".

Here's a table of all the hex codes for each symbol:
Spoiler:
00=
01=À
02=Á
03=Â
04=Ç
05=È
06=É
07=Ê
08=Ë
09=Ì
0B=Î
0C=Ï
0D=Ò
0E=Ó
0F=Ô
10=Æ
11=Ù
12=Ú
13=Û
14=Ñ
15=ß
16=à
17=á
19=ç
1A=è
1B=é
1C=ê
1D=ë
1E=ì
20=î
21=ï
22=ò
23=ó
24=ô
25=æ
26=ù
27=ú
28=û
29=ñ
2A=º
2B=ª
2C=·
2D=&
2E=+
34=[Lv]
35==
36=;
51=¿
52=¡
53=[PK]
54=[MN]
55=[PO]
56=[Ke]
57=[BL]
58=[OC]
59=[K]
5A=Í
5B=%
5C=(
5D=)
68=â
6F=í
79=[u]
7A=[D]
7B=[L]
7C=[R]
A1=0
A2=1
A3=2
A4=3
A5=4
A6=5
A7=6
A8=7
A9=8
AA=9
AB=!
AC=?
AD=.
AE=-
AF=·
B0=[...]
B1="
B2=["]
B3='
B4=[']
B5=[m]
B6=[f]
B7=$
B8=,
B9=[x]
BA=/
BB=A
BC=B
BD=C
BE=D
BF=E
C0=F
C1=G
C2=H
C3=I
C4=J
C5=K
C6=L
C7=M
C8=N
C9=O
CA=P
CB=Q
CC=R
CD=S
CE=T
CF=U
D0=V
D1=W
D2=X
D3=Y
D4=Z
D5=a
D6=b
D7=c
D8=d
D9=e
DA=f
DB=g
DC=h
DD=i
DE=j
DF=k
E0=l
E1=m
E2=n
E3=o
E4=p
E5=q
E6=r
E7=s
E8=t
E9=u
EA=v
EB=w
EC=x
ED=y
EE=z
EF=[>]
F0=:
F1=Ä
F2=Ö
F3=Ü
F4=ä
F5=ö
F6=ü
F7=[u]
F8=[d]
F9=[l]
FA=\l
FB=\p
FC=\c
FD=\v
FE=\n
FF=\x

And if you're not going to include any Pokémon, then why bother with the Pokéball animation? But if you must, unLZ.GBA can find that image, and you must change each of the frames on Paint or a similar program, using only the 15 colors provided. NSE works too.

And uh, I think the whole point of a Pokémon game is to have Pokémon inside it?

Old December 27th, 2011 (02:08 PM).
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Just today my AdvanceMap stopped letting me save/load tilesets in .bmp format. Instead, it only lets me save as .bvd, which I'm assuming is the extension for some German file, since the description is in German.

Things I've already done:
Tried backup files
Tried different ROMs
Tried A-Map 1.95 instead of 1.92
Tried redownloading A-Map

If you have any idea what the HELL is going on, please share :)
Old December 27th, 2011 (02:16 PM).
redriders180

Quote originally posted by hinkage:
Just today my AdvanceMap stopped letting me save/load tilesets in .bmp format. Instead, it only lets me save as .bvd, which I'm assuming is the extension for some German file, since the description is in German.

Things I've already done:
Tried backup files
Tried different ROMs
Tried A-Map 1.95 instead of 1.92
Tried redownloading A-Map

If you have any idea what the HELL is going on, please share
.bvd files are not German. bvd is a file extension which saves block behavior and data. If, when you're in the block editor, and go to blocks -> save tileset 1, it will save the BLOCKS of the rom, basically which tiles go where, and what their behavior bytes and stuff are. To save bmp, you go to picture -> save tileset 1. Of course, this may not be helpful, but it'll help you know what .bvd files are

Old December 28th, 2011 (12:27 AM). Edited December 28th, 2011 by WintersDreaming.
WintersDreaming

Hey Everyone,
I'm not a new hacker but I'm new to hacking emerald can anyone explain how I remove the
start truck and the earthquake.
When I tried to do it tiles stuff up.
Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links