Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2012 (08:03 PM).
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Could someone here give me a link to a tutorial or something along that line that teaches me about the wonderful world of Hex Editing? I just figured out how important it was...
Old January 2nd, 2012 (09:32 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Yay, another question from me. Basically, I'm making some deep mud in my game, and I need it to look like the player is half under the mud. I set the behavior byte to "Hero halfway underwater", which looks fine, except the rectangle covering the lower half of the player is blue. How can I change the color of this?

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:24 PM).
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote originally posted by Teh Blazer:
Could someone here give me a link to a tutorial or something along that line that teaches me about the wonderful world of Hex Editing? I just figured out how important it was...
I would recommend this one. There's more to learn by yourself than with a measly tutorial when it comes to hediting, though.

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
Yay, another question from me. Basically, I'm making some deep mud in my game, and I need it to look like the player is half under the mud. I set the behavior byte to "Hero halfway underwater", which looks fine, except the rectangle covering the lower half of the player is blue. How can I change the color of this?
Test it on a new ROM and mess with palettes? If you're talking about FRLG, the palettes 6 and 9 have a lot of blue blocks, and palette 7 has a really tinting one. Just saying.
Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:38 PM).
MTH13007
Beginning Trainer

Ok, so I searched all of the posts with unLZ gba in them and didn't find anything related to my issue. Lead me in the right direction if I was mistaken.

But I'm rather new to hacking, and right now I'm doing a couple basic hacks in Pokémon Ruby. Mostly just adding in my own pokémon here and there. I've already replaced the sprites for a few and have that method down. Or so I thought..

Right now I'm trying to add in my own pokémon in one of the free Hex offsets in the game but I'm having major issues.

1: While working on one of my roms, unLZ must have crashed or something because now every single sprite in the rom shows up as a big black square inside unLZ (they're fine in-game). I can no longer work off this rom, or any rom with the same name (I copied a pre-crash version of the file to the folder I'm working in and replaced the broken one, but the same error occurred until I changed the name.) This may be because I tried to add a sprite to one of the "??" spaces on unLZ. But like I said, I deleted the file I did that with and still have the problem on the replacement.

2: With a second rom I'm working with, I'm trying to add an evolution to Mawile using a free Hex offset. But the sprite isn't cooperating. When I import it, the image is fine on the top half, but the bottom is all random pixels. Secondly, the sprite imports itself to the next two sprites after it for some reason. All the sprites I'm working with have already been indexed to 16 bit... I'm at a loss here.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Yes I know that's a problematic OS). And I can provide some screens if needed.

Any suggestions??
Old January 3rd, 2012 (01:00 AM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by MTH13007:
Ok, so I searched all of the posts with unLZ gba in them and didn't find anything related to my issue. Lead me in the right direction if I was mistaken.

But I'm rather new to hacking, and right now I'm doing a couple basic hacks in Pokémon Ruby. Mostly just adding in my own pokémon here and there. I've already replaced the sprites for a few and have that method down. Or so I thought..

Right now I'm trying to add in my own pokémon in one of the free Hex offsets in the game but I'm having major issues.

1: While working on one of my roms, unLZ must have crashed or something because now every single sprite in the rom shows up as a big black square inside unLZ (they're fine in-game). I can no longer work off this rom, or any rom with the same name (I copied a pre-crash version of the file to the folder I'm working in and replaced the broken one, but the same error occurred until I changed the name.) This may be because I tried to add a sprite to one of the "??" spaces on unLZ. But like I said, I deleted the file I did that with and still have the problem on the replacement.

2: With a second rom I'm working with, I'm trying to add an evolution to Mawile using a free Hex offset. But the sprite isn't cooperating. When I import it, the image is fine on the top half, but the bottom is all random pixels. Secondly, the sprite imports itself to the next two sprites after it for some reason. All the sprites I'm working with have already been indexed to 16 bit... I'm at a loss here.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Yes I know that's a problematic OS). And I can provide some screens if needed.

Any suggestions??
UNlz can be a bit iffy at times when it comes to editing sprites. Try using Wichu's Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor as it can change the Pokemon effortlessly and even synchronise the normal/ shiny palettes being used.
Old January 3rd, 2012 (02:27 AM). Edited January 3rd, 2012 by jdthebud.
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Okay, I just want to try something simple for Emerald. I would like to change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally. Is there a way to do that? I couldn't find anything here that dealt with that specifically, and everything I looked at for editing trainers just talked about sprites and stuff.

EDIT: I was able to change the trainer names with A-Trainer, but I'm not sure how to change the names in dialogue, as A-Text, which I think should be able to do that, isn't working for me with Emerald, the text that comes up has symbols and stuff, and apparently all that's there is the start up to Route 102, which kind of surprised me, considering how long Emerald has been around.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old January 3rd, 2012 (02:54 AM).
armanr
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
There is no tool to do this. You would have to edit the games engine with ASM, which is no easy task.
Thanks. Is it possible to modify existing abilities (make iron fist do 1.5X instead of 1.2X)? Also is it possible to alter frenzy plant/grass pledge etc. move tutor to teach more moves?
Old January 3rd, 2012 (04:54 AM).
SKRoy
Pokémon Hacker

I made a script:

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
cry 0x246 0x0
wildbattle 0x246 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fadescreen 0x1
fadescreen 0x0
hidesprite 0x4
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @1
= LARVITAR: Lar lar!

When I talk to the Larvitar in the game the whole game freezed (I don't know how to say that in good English, but I think you understand me). How can I fix this?!
Old January 3rd, 2012 (08:50 AM).
MTH13007
Beginning Trainer

Thanks a lot for the reference! It seems to have done all I needed it to!
Old January 3rd, 2012 (09:15 AM).
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by Truality:
I would recommend this one. There's more to learn by yourself than with a measly tutorial when it comes to hediting, though.

Test it on a new ROM and mess with palettes? If you're talking about FRLG, the palettes 6 and 9 have a lot of blue blocks, and palette 7 has a really tinting one. Just saying.
I tried using APE to search for the specific blue that the rectangle is, but it found many pallates, and I don't want to mess them up. What do you mean by Pallate 6, 9, and 7? What are their offsets?

Quote originally posted by SKRoy:
I made a script:

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
cry 0x246 0x0
fadescreen 0x1
fadescreen 0x0
hidesprite 0x4
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @1
= LARVITAR: Lar lar!

When I talk to the Larvitar in the game the whole game freezed (I don't know how to say that in good English, but I think you understand me). How can I fix this?!
Your problem is:
Code:
cry 0x246 0x0
When a number begins with "0x", That means the number is in hex. 0x246 is a hexidecimal number, that equals 582 in our normal counting system. Since there arent 582 Pokemon, this explains the freezing. Just replace "0x246" with 0xF6 (0xF6 is 246 in hex)

Edit: I don't know if your version of XSE does this, but you can also input numbers in decimal by not typing in the "0x". For example:
Code:
cry 246 0
wildbattle 246 5 0 0 0 0

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:06 AM).
SKRoy
Pokémon Hacker

I tried using APE to search for the specific blue that the rectangle is, but it found many pallates, and I don't want to mess them up. What do you mean by Pallate 6, 9, and 7? What are their offsets?

Your problem is:
Code:
cry 0x246 0x0
When a number begins with "0x", That means the number is in hex. 0x246 is a hexidecimal number, that equals 582 in our normal counting system. Since there arent 582 Pokemon, this explains the freezing. Just replace "0x246" with 0xF6 (0xF6 is 246 in hex)

Edit: I don't know if your version of XSE does this, but you can also input numbers in decimal by not typing in the "0x". For example:
Code:
cry 246 0
wildbattle 246 5 0 0 0 0
Thanks it works!
Now I have another problem, wich is bigger... I'm making a hack... I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:22 AM).
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

I had a few questions here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6994516&postcount=409
and here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6994776&postcount=75

Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:37 AM).
SKRoy
Pokémon Hacker

I'm making a hack, but I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:39 AM).
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Quote originally posted by SKRoy:
I'm making a hack, but I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
What have you done to the game so far?

It's always good to have a back up file every time you do an edit so you can go back if you mess something up.

Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:14 AM).
AustinWolff
has left

Nature: Brave
hello! I have a question about tile molester alternate:

Spoiler:
When I click the button "paste from" I choose my tile map I made in NTME for my ruby world map, but when I choose it, it says "Error Loading Bitmap Null"

any help?
Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:51 AM).
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by jdthebud:
Okay, I just want to try something simple for Emerald. I would like to change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally. Is there a way to do that? I couldn't find anything here that dealt with that specifically, and everything I looked at for editing trainers just talked about sprites and stuff.

EDIT: I was able to change the trainer names with A-Trainer, but I'm not sure how to change the names in dialogue, as A-Text, which I think should be able to do that, isn't working for me with Emerald, the text that comes up has symbols and stuff, and apparently all that's there is the start up to Route 102, which kind of surprised me, considering how long Emerald has been around.
Try this post.

Quote originally posted by AustinWolff:
hello! I have a question about tile molester alternate:

Spoiler:
When I click the button "paste from" I choose my tile map I made in NTME for my ruby world map, but when I choose it, it says "Error Loading Bitmap Null"

any help?
Why are you using Tile Molester to insert a tile map? Tile Molester is for editing & inserting graphics. Tile maps are not graphics (more like data/metadata) and can be inserted with a hex editor or even unLZ if it needs to be compressed.

Brother of Vrai
Old January 3rd, 2012 (12:02 PM).
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
You don't need offsets. I was referring to the palettes shown in the palette editor on A-Map (from Block editor).
Old January 3rd, 2012 (02:48 PM).
Itcheeee

Alright, I can't find this asked before. I want to have one Pokemon of the same species look different, but through breeding the Pokemon look normal. Example, lets say the Spiky-eared Pichu. Lets say you would encounter it, and catch it. However if you breed it (I know Pichu cannot breed, but *if* you could I'm saying, in my hack I'm using another Pokemon I do not wish to reveal yet who is breed-able), you would get normal Pichu and the Spiky-eared Pichu would still register in the dex as a Pichu. Hopefully you get what I'm saying here, and, is this possible to do in Firered? Basically have a certain Pokemon look different in one area (even if only one can be encounter-able, that's all I need anyways) but if you breed it the Pokemon would be normal unlike the parent? I know this has worked in HGSS, but I need this to work in Firered. Thanks for any answers or suggestions, I'm new at hacking but eager to get working on my new hack =)
Old January 3rd, 2012 (03:30 PM).
SKRoy
Pokémon Hacker

Old January 3rd, 2012 (03:51 PM).
redriders180

Quote originally posted by Truality:
You don't need offsets. I was referring to the palettes shown in the palette editor on A-Map (from Block editor).
I also failed to mention I'm hacking Firered. Pallates 7 and 9 change depending on the map.

Additionally, the hero halfway underwater is a sprite, and not tile related at all. If I could locate this sprite, perhaps I could recolor it as well.

Old January 3rd, 2012 (06:31 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by armanr:
Thanks. Is it possible to modify existing abilities (make iron fist do 1.5X instead of 1.2X)? Also is it possible to alter frenzy plant/grass pledge etc. move tutor to teach more moves?
Both of these things are possible with the use of ASM. But there are no tools to do these specific things.
Old January 3rd, 2012 (09:15 PM).
movieguy12
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Question, if I were to replace all 386 pokemon in Pokemon ruby with 386 fakemon, would I be able to trade them to pearl and they keep their sprites? So for example let's say in ruby I replace bulbsaurs sprite/name with (for argument sake lets just say bob) lol. Now would since it's not really bob anymore persay, could I transfer bob to pearl and it still look like Bob and not bulbsaur? Hope this makes sense...
Old January 3rd, 2012 (09:35 PM).
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by movieguy12:
Question, if I were to replace all 386 pokemon in Pokemon ruby with 386 fakemon, would I be able to trade them to pearl and they keep their sprites? So for example let's say in ruby I replace bulbsaurs sprite/name with (for argument sake lets just say bob) lol. Now would since it's not really bob anymore persay, could I transfer bob to pearl and it still look like Bob and not bulbsaur? Hope this makes sense...
Nope. They'll show up as real Pokemon in Pearl.
Old January 3rd, 2012 (09:39 PM).
movieguy12
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Aw man. Right on. Is there any way to replace pearl pokemon yet?
Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:41 PM).
Truality
Left for good

I also failed to mention I'm hacking Firered. Pallates 7 and 9 change depending on the map.

Additionally, the hero halfway underwater is a sprite, and not tile related at all. If I could locate this sprite, perhaps I could recolor it as well.
How is it not tile-related if it's a behavior type? What are the behavior bytes on the tile you altered this to?

Sponsored Links