The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM
DrFuji
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWURMPLES! View Post
I'm using XSE, but I'm not sure if it's 1.1.1...
EDIT: Found 1.1.1
One of my overworlds refuses to show up at all... The script attached to him looks like this:
Code:
#dynamic 0x900000
#org @start2
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @Swedenbeauty 0x6
release
end

#org @Swedenbeauty
= SWEDEN is so pretty \nthis time of year!
The overworld just... doesn't show up. At all.
Make sure that the OW in question isn't sharing its 'person event number' with any other OWs on the map. Also make sure it isn't set to hidden in its movements/ ensure the flag matching its 'Person ID' hasn't been set.

Also, I made a few changes to your script:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start2
msgbox @Swedenbeauty 0x2 // The msgbox type 0x2 automatically includes the lock and faceplayer commands
release
end

#org @Swedenbeauty
= SWEDEN is so pretty\nthis time of year!

Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
--As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
Make sure that the OW in question isn't sharing its 'person event number' with any other OWs on the map. Also make sure it isn't set to hidden in its movements/ ensure the flag matching its 'Person ID' hasn't been set.

Also, I made a few changes to your script:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start2
msgbox @Swedenbeauty 0x2 // The msgbox type 0x2 automatically includes the lock and faceplayer commands
release
end

#org @Swedenbeauty
= SWEDEN is so pretty\nthis time of year!
Oh, I see.

It has not been set as hidden as its movements, nor does it share any "Person Event Number with any other person on the map.
It still does not show up. :/
I also have a warp tile that refuses to work.

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden
Team Sealand! Now recruiting

Old April 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Rumille
Togepi

Is it possible to have your hero have a different look in the beginning of the game and then change after a certain event?
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Clacla
officer friendly

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Clacla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
Is it possible to have your hero have a different look in the beginning of the game and then change after a certain event?
Yes, it is possible, using JPAN's Fire Red hacked engine, although I've never used it for more than one hero OW, it is included in this.
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Dero
Beginning Trainer

Hey Community,
I have a question.
I want to load a picture with 256 colours.
Like the worldmap I think.
So I want to know how i must insert this picture and then how can I display it on the screen. I am not the best in ASM, so I don't want to see a complete code or something, I just want an explanation how I can do it and how it works. After that I had thinked of another way like. I want to load a graphic as background, then there are objects which I can select and if I push a another site will be opened with informations.
I hope you can help me, sorry for my bad english and also I hope you can understand me.
Dero
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

I have a warp tile that refuses to work right, even though the connections are all fine and stuff...
What can I do to fix this?

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden

Old April 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
I have a warp tile that refuses to work right, even though the connections are all fine and stuff...
Has the tile got the right behavior bite that says "Use warp" in Block Editor?

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old April 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Magic
vulpesvulpesvulpesvulpes

Quote:
Warp events need to on/next to specific warp tiles (EG. in a house the pink box that's on the floor has special behavioural bites that activate the warp) so my guess is you need to change that .
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:12 AM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
Has the tile got the right behavior bite that says "Use warp" in Block Editor?
Ah, that might explain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
Warp events need to on/next to specific warp tiles (EG. in a house the pink box that's on the floor has special behavioural bites that activate the warp) so my guess is you need to change that .
Yeah, that makes sense.

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden

Old April 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Rumille
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clacla View Post
Yes, it is possible, using JPAN's Fire Red hacked engine, although I've never used it for more than one hero OW, it is included in this.
Hmm, thanks. Seems very complicated though, I don't think I really understand the method. Do I need to patch my Fire Red rom first?

If I understand correctly I can, after applying the patch, easily change my hero sprite by just using this simple script:
Quote:
#org @start
Setvar 0x4054 0x107
Setvar 0x4055 0x108
Setvar 0x4056 0x109
Setvar 0x4057 0x10a
Setvar 0x4058 0x10b
Setvar 0x4059 0x10c
End
However, what are the 0x107, 0x108, 0x109 etc? I can't seem to find that part explained. Also, I've been taught that when I use setvar, I use variables higher than 4000. That doesnt seem possible anymore then apparently.

Help with this is much appreciated!
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Something seriously went screwy. I tried to edit something, backed up the ROM, and now AdvanceMap refuses to open up any of the maps of anything. I think I've just lost all of my progress...

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden

Old April 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Well, just keep it for reference, and if you ever find a way that you can fix it, then fix it. But until then start over is the only way you can go.

could you ····ing not
·
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:29 AM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Well, just keep it for reference, and if you ever find a way that you can fix it, then fix it. But until then start over is the only way you can go.
It might have been the way I backed it up.
Is there a correct way besides just copy and pasting the ROM? I've noticed that when I do that, then AdvanceMap refuses to open up the copy.

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden

Old April 14th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Rumille
Togepi

You could just use 'Save as' in Advance Map and change the filename.
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
farmerluk
Beginning Trainer

Hi, I'm new here, my name is Luke.
I have a couple of questions I really hope I can get help with.
1) Is it easier to hack fire red, adding the special/physical divide, certain Sinnoh pokemon, and adding Hoenn and Johto, or hacking Heart Gold, and adding Hoenn. I want to spend a few months/years making a hack where you travel through Kanto, Johto and Hoenn.
2) Is there a list of hacking tools that people recommend. I really don't want to annoy anyone, just this site is a little intimidating, though I will get used to it.
3) I can backup my own GBA/DS games to make roms (fire red, ruby, Heart Gold, and White), would I need to patch them before hacking?

Thank you for your time, it's really appreciated.
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:42 AM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
You could just use 'Save as' in Advance Map and change the filename.
It does not allow me to do that.
"File was not saved!"

Also, I'm having troubles with overworlds not being where they're supposed to be... Is there a way I can fix this? (again)
Like, I'll put one in at say, 0003 and 000A, but it'll be in a random place other than that when I actually test the game.

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden

Old April 14th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Rumille
Togepi

Quote:
It does not allow me to do that.
"File was not saved!"

Also, I'm having troubles with overworlds not being where they're supposed to be... Is there a way I can fix this? (again)
Like, I'll put one in at say, 0003 and 000A, but it'll be in a random place other than that when I actually test the game.
Sounds like a corrupt rom actually with the not-being-able-to-save and mixed up OW. I suggest starting over (and trying to recover your maps) if you're not too far.
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
Sounds like a corrupt rom actually with the not-being-able-to-save and mixed up OW. I suggest starting over (and trying to recover your maps) if you're not too far.
jLFAJSDFKSD This would be my 3rd time starting over, then.
It allows me to save, but just not save as...
Would turning into a compressed file ---> unzipping work as backup?

Berwald Oxenstierna.
'Lion of the North'
Konungariket Sverige
Sweden

Old April 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
sakuto0129
Noob

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to sakuto0129
I am in the process of making a hacked version of Pokemon Ruby. I was using Advanced Maps fine until one time I got on and the Header screen looked like this. (Look at attachment) I really need to use the Header page and am really confused with this. Please tell me how to change it back if there is a way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture111.JPG‎ (151.2 KB, 6 views)
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Spherical Ice

Press Ctrl+H to exit Professional View, sakuto :D
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM
newmexico
College Student

Nature: Brave
My apologies if this question was already asked but I somehow missed it when I searched...

This is a hardware/software program rather than a question about hacking programs, hex, and all that jazz. I'm working from a laptop, and it's also my computer for school. Are the tools, programs, pictures, and other hacking data going to interfere with my school things on this machine? Or, framed differently, does game hacking require a ton of space or a spectacular image card? Or will I be alright using my little laptop?

Thanks, folks.

#105 Ketzachil

Pokemon Oasis Version -- Coming (relatively) soon to computer screens near you!
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Woah, lots of questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dero View Post
Hey Community,
I have a question.
I want to load a picture with 256 colours.
Like the worldmap I think.
So I want to know how i must insert this picture and then how can I display it on the screen. I am not the best in ASM, so I don't want to see a complete code or something, I just want an explanation how I can do it and how it works. After that I had thinked of another way like. I want to load a graphic as background, then there are objects which I can select and if I push a another site will be opened with informations.
I hope you can help me, sorry for my bad english and also I hope you can understand me.
Dero
Loading pictures larger than 64x64 sprites requires tilemaps. And using tilemaps requires ASM. I don't personally know how to do it, but feel free to look up the GBATEK and teach yourself.

Quote:
Hmm, thanks. Seems very complicated though, I don't think I really understand the method. Do I need to patch my Fire Red rom first?

If I understand correctly I can, after applying the patch, easily change my hero sprite by just using this simple script:

However, what are the 0x107, 0x108, 0x109 etc? I can't seem to find that part explained. Also, I've been taught that when I use setvar, I use variables higher than 4000. That doesnt seem possible anymore then apparently.

Help with this is much appreciated!
If you read the manual, you'd know what you're setting the variables to. You set them to be what you want your overworld to change in to. It's set up like: 0xTTPP, with TT being the table number, and PP being the picture number. So, if you wanted to change the players OW to be picture 17, set variable 0x4054 to 0x0017. Also, if you don't know what I'm talking about with "table number", just make it 00.

Quote:
It might have been the way I backed it up.
Is there a correct way besides just copy and pasting the ROM? I've noticed that when I do that, then AdvanceMap refuses to open up the copy.
File > Create Backup. It'll save it as a .bak file. When you need to use it, change the .bak into a .gba, open both in a hex editor, and copy the entire contents of the backup onto the original. Thats what I do, since using the backup after you turned it into a .gba, it doesn't work on emulators for whatever reason.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Spherical Ice

@newmexico I've hacked on really, really bad computers and as long as the programmes are compatible with the OS you're using, you should have no trouble. Though I dont know if having ROMs on a school computer is the best idea, you might get into trouble. Maybe lol.
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:53 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico View Post
My apologies if this question was already asked but I somehow missed it when I searched...

This is a hardware/software program rather than a question about hacking programs, hex, and all that jazz. I'm working from a laptop, and it's also my computer for school. Are the tools, programs, pictures, and other hacking data going to interfere with my school things on this machine? Or, framed differently, does game hacking require a ton of space or a spectacular image card? Or will I be alright using my little laptop?

Thanks, folks.
I was able to successfully hack a ROM on my previous computer, which was a tiny little netbook, and I had nearly 30 tools installed on it. My emulator worked smoothly as well, at least for GBA games and below. DS games lagged like nuts, though.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old April 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Rumille
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Woah, lots of questions!
If you read the manual, you'd know what you're setting the variables to. You set them to be what you want your overworld to change in to. It's set up like: 0xTTPP, with TT being the table number, and PP being the picture number. So, if you wanted to change the players OW to be picture 17, set variable 0x4054 to 0x0017. Also, if you don't know what I'm talking about with "table number", just make it 00.
I don't know what you mean with table number. But I think I get it. I read the 0x107 as 107, but it's actually a 1 and 07, where 1 is the table number?

Also: I gave myself a bicycle very early in the game but now I can't seem to use it, even though I am outside. I get the OAK: You can't blabla message. I checked the header but the outside maps have the same options as in the regular Fire Red rom. Cave: Regular, Weather: Regular weather, Type: Route, Fight Type: Random.

What causes this? Do you need to have a Pokémon or something. I can't seem to use my Running Shoes either.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links