Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2012 (06:15 PM).

I'm reading metapod23's tutorial about adding new OW sprites, but it all seems very confusing at the moment. But I'll try to get it through trial and error.

I've tried the bicycle again a few times, but no matter what I try, I keep the same error. And with the Running Shoes, what are the r0 and r1? I don't understand where they came from.
Old April 14th, 2012 (06:29 PM).

In regards to ds games playing slow in an emulator, I use an R4 flash cart to get the best result.
Is there a size limit for GBA games? I want to add Hoenn and Johto to Fire Red, but if there's a limit I might use Heart Gold.
One other thing, is it possible to give pokemon more than one ability, like in the Mystery Dungeon games?
Old April 14th, 2012 (08:51 PM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by Rumille:
I'm reading metapod23's tutorial about adding new OW sprites, but it all seems very confusing at the moment. But I'll try to get it through trial and error.

I've tried the bicycle again a few times, but no matter what I try, I keep the same error. And with the Running Shoes, what are the r0 and r1? I don't understand where they came from.
The r0 and r1 aren't important, what is important is the value of the "Show name on entering" byte. Just set it to one of the values I said earlier, and it should be fine. Of course, the alternative route is to just make Running Shoes work everywhere, which is described in the self-same tutorial. You might want to check it out.

Quote originally posted by farmerluk:
In regards to ds games playing slow in an emulator, I use an R4 flash cart to get the best result.
Is there a size limit for GBA games? I want to add Hoenn and Johto to Fire Red, but if there's a limit I might use Heart Gold.
One other thing, is it possible to give pokemon more than one ability, like in the Mystery Dungeon games?
The Pokemon games are already 16 MB, but can usually be expanded to 32 MB. However, Keep in mind that there are 37 cities, 82 routes, not including the underwater ones, and at least 53 landmarks, bringing the total to 172 names required for your game. Firered itself only has 109 possible names, without expanding. Additionally, you'll need to add 17 fly spots, which is also possible. But, if you want, I believe it could work. Good luck!

And for the abilities, it's possible, but not easy. I doubt anyone has tried it before, but feel free to go ahead!

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old April 15th, 2012 (09:26 AM).

So I was making an Advanced Map map and I try to make it so I can exit the cave, and I can't! Help?
Old April 15th, 2012 (09:33 AM).

This might sound like a very dumb question, but on the risk of sounding like an idiot: How do I set the value of the 'Show name on entering' byte? Hex editor somewhere?
Old April 15th, 2012 (09:42 AM).
Kariyai.
CS

Quote originally posted by Rumille:
This might sound like a very dumb question, but on the risk of sounding like an idiot: How do I set the value of the 'Show name on entering' byte? Hex editor somewhere?
The header section of A-Map?

Quote originally posted by bensgraphicdesign:
So I was making an Advanced Map map and I try to make it so I can exit the cave, and I can't! Help?
The best way is to copy the tiles from a pre-existing cave, or at least look at one for reference. You will need to use specific tiles (depending on whether the exit it up or down) as well as a 'warp' event.
art by Churaka
Old April 15th, 2012 (09:45 AM).

Hey, I tried making a script for a guy that will trade his Fire Stone for a Petaya Berry. (I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby)

I applied that script to a Pokeball npc.

But I tested it and this works kinda wrong, before getting Pokedex and starter Pokemon it doesn't work.

After getting starter Pokemon but not Pokedex this works wrong, that takes away my Petaya Berry and gives me Fire Stone, but text isn't showing except the one that says that I obtained Fire Stone.

After getting starter Pokemon and Pokedex this doesn't work again.

I hope you will explain what I did wrong

The script:
Spoiler:

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @lol

lock
faceplayer
msgbox @petaya 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @eeyup
if 0x0 goto @nope
release
end

#org @petaya
= This is DUSK STONE, I can give you\nthat for a PETAYA BERRY, do you\lhave one?

#org @eeyup
checkitem 0xAB 0x1
if 0x1 goto @give
if 0x0 goto @goaway
release
end

#org @give

msgbox @takethat 0x6
removeitem 0xAB 0x1
giveitem 0x5F 0x1 0x0
end

#org @goaway
msgbox @sorry 0x6
end

#org @takethat
= Oh, you have the PETAYA BERRY, give\nme that, and take the DUSK STONE.

#org @sorry
= Hey! You don't have the PETAYA\nBERRY, come back with it if you\lwant the DUSK STONE.

#org @nope
msgbox @lolnope 0x6
release
end

#org @lolnope
= If you don't have the PETAYA BERRY,\ngo away and don't bother me.
Old April 15th, 2012 (09:57 AM).
Kariyai.
CS

Quote originally posted by brzoza55:
Hey, I tried making a script for a guy that will trade his Fire Stone for a Petaya Berry. (I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby)

But I tested it and this works kinda wrong, before getting Pokedex and starter Pokemon it doesn't work.

After getting starter Pokemon but not Pokedex this works wrong, that takes away my Petaya Berry and gives me Fire Stone, but text isn't showing except the one that says that I obtained Fire Stone.

The script:
Spoiler:

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @lol
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @petaya 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @eeyup
if 0x0 goto @nope
release
end

#org @petaya
= This is DUSK STONE, I can give you\nthat for a PETAYA BERRY, do you\lhave one?

#org @eeyup
checkitem 0xAB 0x1
if 0x1 goto @give
if 0x0 goto @goaway
release
end

#org @give
msgbox @takethat 0x6
removeitem 0xAB 0x1
giveitem 0x5F 0x1 0x0
end

#org @goaway
msgbox @sorry 0x6
end

#org @takethat

#org @sorry
= Hey! You don't have the PETAYA\nBERRY, come back with it if you\lwant the DUSK STONE.

#org @nope
msgbox @lolnope 0x6
release
end

#org @lolnope
Ideally you should use 'compare 0x800D 0x1' to check the item like:

checkitem 0xAB 0x1
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x4 goto @GIVE
if 0x0 goto @goaway

This checks whether the player has one or more Petaya berry.

Have you edited this script after decompiling it at all? It sounds like your other scripts may be overlapping, as this has no reason not to work (there aren't even any flags).

I recommend recompiling, in the future direct scripting troubles to the script help thread (below this one).
art by Churaka
Old April 15th, 2012 (01:02 PM).

Okay, I fixed the running shoes problem. I can run outside now, I don't need to run inside .
But the Bicycle problem still persists. I have no idea how to fix it, because I have the bicycle in my bag and I really am outside.
Old April 15th, 2012 (02:14 PM).

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by brzoza55:

The script:
Spoiler:

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @lol

lock
faceplayer
msgbox @petaya 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @eeyup
if 0x0 goto @nope
release
end

#org @petaya

#org @eeyup
checkitem 0xAB 0x1
if 0x1 goto @give
if 0x0 goto @goaway
release
end

#org @give

msgbox @takethat 0x6
removeitem 0xAB 0x1
giveitem 0x5F 0x1 0x0
end

#org @goaway
msgbox @sorry 0x6
end

#org @takethat

#org @sorry

#org @nope
msgbox @lolnope 0x6
release
end

#org @lolnope
Additionally, using giveitem will provide the obligatory "[player] received a Dusk Stone" message, but removeitem won't use any script of that sort. It does just that, removes an item. If you want it to say something like "[player] traded a PETAYA BERRY for a Dusk Stone", you'll have to use additem, and make a msgbox that specifically says that.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old April 15th, 2012 (04:12 PM).

I'm editing some maps in Emerald for fun. I was just wondering how to make water divable and then connect it to another map when you dive. Do you just use a warp?

~Dark Breloom
Old April 15th, 2012 (05:25 PM).

Hey guys, I need help!!
I made an extension to Altering Cave, BUT when I tried to enter it, the screen just went black. Why is this? Any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Chaos Control!! *warps away*
Old April 15th, 2012 (05:57 PM).

Quote originally posted by Dark Breloom:
I'm editing some maps in Emerald for fun. I was just wondering how to make water divable and then connect it to another map when you dive. Do you just use a warp?

~Dark Breloom
From what I can tell, there are two ways. The first is a simple connection, like when doing connections left, right, up and down. There is also dive and emerge, which work in RSE. Also, some tiles work by using the warp4 command. But the dive/emerge connection only works on certain tiles, while the warp4 method works only on other tiles. Compare to a clean Emerald to see what I mean.

Old April 16th, 2012 (01:07 AM).

Hi.

I'm currently making a hack, and have run into a problem. For reference I'm using Fire Red with JPAN's hacked Fire Red patch.

For some reason, Pallet Town has messed up Map Connections. When you go north to exit, the normal path out is blocked by the border tiles, and there are infinite trees like the rest of the border. Same goes down south where you would normally surf south.

I've looked at the map connections and they are fine and lined up properly. You can even get into Pallet Town by setting a warp to Route 1 and walking back down, but once you get in Pallet Town you get locked in again.

Anyone heard of this before?

Thank you
Old April 16th, 2012 (03:35 AM).
Kariyai.
CS

Quote originally posted by Nikolai Fox:
Hi.

I'm currently making a hack, and have run into a problem. For reference I'm using Fire Red with JPAN's hacked Fire Red patch.

For some reason, Pallet Town has messed up Map Connections. When you go north to exit, the normal path out is blocked by the border tiles, and there are infinite trees like the rest of the border. Same goes down south where you would normally surf south.

I've looked at the map connections and they are fine and lined up properly. You can even get into Pallet Town by setting a warp to Route 1 and walking back down, but once you get in Pallet Town you get locked in again.

Anyone heard of this before?

Thank you
Check that the connection is perfect in both directions (ie, go to the route 1 map and check that side of the connection too). If they're both fine then delete and try the connection again, if that then doesn't work... your ROM may well be messed up.

I've heard this is a problem with the latest version of A-Map, I had the same problem for my hack. Best solution is starting again or starting from a backup.
art by Churaka
Old April 16th, 2012 (04:49 AM).

I have two question hope can reply me.
1)I have a scripting question.I use XSE,how to scripting player ow sprite change to another sprite.Like Pokemon Ash Gray Version.

2)How to change pokemon battle background?I dont know.
Old April 16th, 2012 (07:00 AM).

While inserting my personal character of Skyler Gordon for my ROM and to create a tutorial, I encountered a problem... What's happened?

Spoiler:

Please help, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing everything correct!
Old April 16th, 2012 (08:16 AM).

While inserting my personal character of Skyler Gordon for my ROM and to create a tutorial, I encountered a problem... What's happened?

Spoiler:

Please help, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing everything correct!
It looks like the palette for the sprite didn't get changed. Try changing the palette in APE or NSE

Quote originally posted by LugiaMZ:
I have two question hope can reply me.
1)I have a scripting question.I use XSE,how to scripting player ow sprite change to another sprite.Like Pokemon Ash Gray Version.

2)How to change pokemon battle background?I dont know.
1. ASM, or get JPANs hack engine

2. Click

Old April 16th, 2012 (08:20 AM).

Do I have to click anything after I've finished the palette in APE? I did everything and there is no 'Save'...
Old April 16th, 2012 (10:22 AM).

Do I have to click anything after I've finished the palette in APE? I did everything and there is no 'Save'...
Yeah, APE doesn't have a save button. Just make sure it's saved by closing and reopening it, and checking the same offset.

Old April 16th, 2012 (10:51 AM).

Any idea how I could change the palattes for the images of charizard/venasaur/blastoise/pikachu that appear in the ending sequence for fire red? They share the same palettes as their standard pokemon sprite counterparts which I've all changed so they look messed up. It appears that they point to a table of data and not the palette itself, so I'm having trouble finding the pointers. Thanks.

Just reload the palette offset you changed to check if it's saved. The "Replace" button is the save button basically.
Old April 16th, 2012 (01:08 PM).

Quote originally posted by Chaos0:
Hey guys, I need help!!
I made an extension to Altering Cave, BUT when I tried to enter it, the screen just went black. Why is this? Any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

May somebody please answer the above question?
Thank you very much!!

Old April 16th, 2012 (02:07 PM).
Grant me the power of revolution!
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
May somebody please answer the above question?
Thank you very much!!

We're going to need more information on that, there's not really much we can help you with with that information alone. First, what type of tile did you put the warp on? Are you sure you have the right map ID? Is this the Vanilla game you're hacking, or is this a hack that someone else made that you're editing?
Old April 16th, 2012 (04:27 PM).

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
We're going to need more information on that, there's not really much we can help you with with that information alone. First, what type of tile did you put the warp on? Are you sure you have the right map ID? Is this the Vanilla game you're hacking, or is this a hack that someone else made that you're editing?
I am hacking a real emerald (U). Basically, in an unhacked emerald, you go into a really boring altering cave, find a bunch of zubats, and leave depressed. What I did was I edited the altering cave by putting a bunch of mazes, and extending the dimensions. You still enter in the cave the same way as you would in an un-hacked Emerald. I also tried creating a ladder tile in littleroot with a warp tile, but the screen blacked out as well. I'm pretty sure I have the right map ID (24.106). If there's anything else left unclear, please ask.

Old April 16th, 2012 (08:54 PM).

I am hacking a real emerald (U). Basically, in an unhacked emerald, you go into a really boring altering cave, find a bunch of zubats, and leave depressed. What I did was I edited the altering cave by putting a bunch of mazes, and extending the dimensions. You still enter in the cave the same way as you would in an un-hacked Emerald. I also tried creating a ladder tile in littleroot with a warp tile, but the screen blacked out as well. I'm pretty sure I have the right map ID (24.106). If there's anything else left unclear, please ask.

The numbers need to be hex, so 24.106 would be 18.6A
So try warp 0x18 0x6A
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links