< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012 (5:11 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Well, I know the problem...your script is too complicated. When you mark a trainer as a "trainer" in A-map, that is, give it a view radius and check the "trainer" checkmark, the game does a few things. When you enter the view radius, the game checks the first command in the script, and it it isn't "trainerbattle blahblahblah", then it glitches up. Trainers don't need flags...all you need is this script:

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
trainerbattle 0x0 TRAINER_NUMBER 0x0 @battleme @lose
msgbox @talk MSG_FACE
release
end

#org @battleme
= Hey.

#org @lose
= Well, I didn't see that coming.

#org @talk
= The gym leader is over there.

The game automatically ends the script once you win, so while the script above may seem to cause a trainerbattle, then a message, it actually just does the trainerbattle and thats it. Talking to the trainer after battling will just skip the "trainerbattle" and go to the msgbox command.

PS: Flags above 0x84B may run the risk of muddling up data you don't want muddled up. At least, my list of all flags in-game ends at 0x84B. Tread with caution...
When you say put a checkmark, do you mean the $01 next to trainer? Because I feel like I'm missing something. :p. The only part of that script that I don't understand is the "MSG_Face" and I'm assuming it's something like the 0x6 boxset but I'm probably wrong. And that flags information is going to be helpful in the future, thanks.

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 22nd, 2012 (6:18 PM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggs View Post
When you say put a checkmark, do you mean the $01 next to trainer? Because I feel like I'm missing something. :p. The only part of that script that I don't understand is the "MSG_Face" and I'm assuming it's something like the 0x6 boxset but I'm probably wrong. And that flags information is going to be helpful in the future, thanks.
In A-map 1.92, it's a checkbox, while in 1.95, it's an $01. So they are synonymous.

I also assumed you had the newer version of XSE that doesn't use boxsets. Boxset 0x2 is the same as MSG_FACE, I think. MSG_FACE will include lock and faceplayer automatically, so you don't have to put lock and faceplayer in the script. Boxset 0x6, MSG_NORMAL in the newer XSE, doesn't lock or faceplayer automatically.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old May 22nd, 2012 (6:25 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
So I finally find some new and different Moemon sprites in some hacked games somewhere online, and now unLZ GBA shows their sprites in a weird, kindof like negative color.
I had to use the 'Pocket Monsters' japanese version of Fire Red- could that be making this happen?
When I play the game the sprites look fine- none of this strange coloring. I just want to get the sprites out and have a set of sprites made up of my favorite Moemon customs. Any tips anyone?

Here's an example of what I see:

[IMG]

(Really sorry if the images are too big... I don't know all of the workings of this particular forum yet.)
Old May 22nd, 2012 (7:02 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
In A-map 1.92, it's a checkbox, while in 1.95, it's an $01. So they are synonymous.

I also assumed you had the newer version of XSE that doesn't use boxsets. Boxset 0x2 is the same as MSG_FACE, I think. MSG_FACE will include lock and faceplayer automatically, so you don't have to put lock and faceplayer in the script. Boxset 0x6, MSG_NORMAL in the newer XSE, doesn't lock or faceplayer automatically.
Ahh, MSG_FACE seemed to work just fine for me. It's just become habit to type that stuff in though. Thanks for your help. You got me past my road blocks. :D
Old May 22nd, 2012 (10:44 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWolf View Post
So I finally find some new and different Moemon sprites in some hacked games somewhere online, and now unLZ GBA shows their sprites in a weird, kindof like negative color.
I had to use the 'Pocket Monsters' japanese version of Fire Red- could that be making this happen?
When I play the game the sprites look fine- none of this strange coloring. I just want to get the sprites out and have a set of sprites made up of my favorite Moemon customs. Any tips anyone?

Here's an example of what I see:

[IMG]

(Really sorry if the images are too big... I don't know all of the workings of this particular forum yet.)
Try messing with the pallets. Search up some pallet tutorials, we have some good ones.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old May 22nd, 2012 (10:57 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Thom View Post
Hello you guys,

Today, I wanted to start some editing, since I played a few hacks every now and then and I wanted to try to make one myself. Well, I downloaded Advance Map, and for the scripts XSE. The problem here is, once I click 'Choose script editor' and choose XSE.exe, Advance Map suddenly comes with a note 'The program file does not exists or is not executable'.

Due to this I can't script (though I have no idea how to yet, but that is of later issue :p), does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Thom
Someone have a solution for this? It's really annoying for me.. ;_;
Old May 23rd, 2012 (1:14 AM).

I'd go to download the last version of xse (1.11) ; if you already have it, so it may be a folder rights problem from windows. Just click right on you advance mal folder, properties and uncheck the read only checkbox if it is checked.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (5:35 AM). Edited May 23rd, 2012 by LugiaMZ.

Hello everyone ! I having a problem , can I use Pokemon Shiny Gold X Tileset 1 ?
I can't get premission , DP tileset is beautiful , I need a Dp tileset rombase or a tileset 1 and .bvd , .pal file ( Important : DP PokeCenter , DP PokeMart , DP GYM and DP Tree Tileset ) . Everyone can give me a download link ? Please...Thank.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (7:40 AM).
ModeratorCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
Hello everyone ! I having a problem , can I use Pokemon Shiny Gold X Tileset 1 ?
I can't get premission , DP tileset is beautiful , I need a Dp tileset rombase or a tileset 1 and .bvd , .pal file ( Important : DP PokeCenter , DP PokeMart , DP GYM and DP Tree Tileset ) . Everyone can give me a download link ? Please...Thank.
You cannot use a ROM hack's tileset without the permission of the original owner, if you intend to publish it. Technically if you are just building something for your own amusement than it is allowed.

Have a look in the ROM Hacking Resources (a sticky in this forum section) for existing ROM-Bases which you may use, if you give the owners credit. If there you can't find one you can always insert your own tiles - there are tutorials in the 'Tutorial' forum.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (8:31 AM). Edited May 23rd, 2012 by Capitalist Ness.
człowiek charakterny

Nature: Adamant
@EDIT
Fixed.
But I'd like to know why it's happening.

Hello, Pokecommunity.
I have an another serious problem.
I wanted to test the battle in my hack.
It freezes at that moment.

I checked A-Trainer, and look what happened!

Help! What does it mean? It crashes my A-Trainer. I checked things again, and I realized that there are two trainers that have this error!

This is a serious problem, I don't know how to fix it.
If it's impossible to fix, then maybe a hint how to not make this glitch happen.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (9:51 AM).

I want to let pokemon evolve when they level up with a certain item.

so if somebody knows an easy way or can explain how, please tell me.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (10:52 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
I want to know how to make Nidoran(M) and Nidoran(F) have a gender icon, I can't get the gender icon to appear. Can anyone please help me.
I have searched for this problem and i can't find it, does anyone know how i can make the gender icon appear?
Old May 23rd, 2012 (10:59 AM).

Do you mean that using Nidoran[m] doesn't work? How weird...

Someone: How can I change a move of a pokemon in my team (in hex)? I can't find a GS code to do this and i need to do this to make sure that move descriptions fit...
Old May 23rd, 2012 (12:26 PM).
French chic ♪

Hi everyone!
I'd want to know what the "spritebehave" XSE command is. What does it exactly do?
Thank you in advance.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (1:33 PM).

How would I change the intro hero + the names for the rival & hero?
Old May 23rd, 2012 (2:30 PM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean LaFlame View Post
Hi everyone!
I'd want to know what the "spritebehave" XSE command is. What does it exactly do?
Thank you in advance.
It sets a sprite's default behaviour outside of the script in which you set it. It's useful for adding, or changing a sprite due to a completed event.
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old May 23rd, 2012 (4:01 PM).

Forgive me if this is fairly obvious, but, unless I've been searching with the wrong terms, there's (almost) nothing even remotely about this.

I've been working on a ROM hack and I had never really learned how to change the map name. What I want to do is rename a custom map to something like SECRET ROUTE 1, or something similar. I thought I knew how to do this and was going to get to the whole re-naming thing later, but when I typed it into the new field and clicked Change Name it changed the actual entry in the list, EG If it was originally grouped with LITTLEROOT TOWN and I renamed then click change name, everything called LITTLEROOT TOWN would have the new name.

How can I change the name of my map without overwriting a previous map name?

Feed Me!

Adopted from Valenth
Old May 23rd, 2012 (4:54 PM).

Why isn't the map their? I'm attempting to add warps.
Firered.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png‎ (351.7 KB, 5 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Youtube Channel.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (4:57 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2012 by redriders180.

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
I have searched for this problem and i can't find it, does anyone know how i can make the gender icon appear?
If I understand what you mean, [m] and [f] will allow you to display gender in a script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
Do you mean that using Nidoran[m] doesn't work? How weird...

Someone: How can I change a move of a pokemon in my team (in hex)? I can't find a GS code to do this and i need to do this to make sure that move descriptions fit...
Forgive me, but I'm losing track of what everyone is hacking. I've never heard of a GS code, so forgive me for thinking of Gen II. Checking this for Gen II and this for Gen III should give you an idea how Pokemon Data is stored, and thus edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggs View Post
How would I change the intro hero + the names for the rival & hero?
A-text works in this case, actually. Use the search tool to find the names, and change them as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadesminion13 View Post
Forgive me if this is fairly obvious, but, unless I've been searching with the wrong terms, there's (almost) nothing even remotely about this.

I've been working on a ROM hack and I had never really learned how to change the map name. What I want to do is rename a custom map to something like SECRET ROUTE 1, or something similar. I thought I knew how to do this and was going to get to the whole re-naming thing later, but when I typed it into the new field and clicked Change Name it changed the actual entry in the list, EG If it was originally grouped with LITTLEROOT TOWN and I renamed then click change name, everything called LITTLEROOT TOWN would have the new name.

How can I change the name of my map without overwriting a previous map name?
The number of map names is indexed, and as such, it is finite. The game needs each map name to be given a number, for reference in something such as Caught location or the World Map. There is a limiting byte the prevents more from being added. Expanding it requires you to go through the Hex, modifying the limiting bytes, and repointing the name table; something easier said than done. Basically, you're stuck with the same number of names, and you HAVE to write over them. You can change the associates of the map, i.e. which map has which name, by selecting the name you want from the dropbox next to where you enter a name. For example, you could use the dropbox to select "Scorched Slab", then enter "Secret Route 1". All maps with Scorched Slab as a name will be turned into "Secret Route 1".

I recommend doing the renaming as soon as possible, to make sure you don't out of names. Emerald has a very distinct advantage naming-wise; Emerald gives you 212 free names. By comparison, Firered has 109 free names, and Ruby/Sapphire has only 86 free names. Either way, doing the naming now willl save alot of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
Why isn't the map their? I'm attempting to add warps.
Firered.
If there are no events on a map at all, the map doesn't show up on the event tab. It also does this if you start out with 0 events, and add some events. Refreshing should make it show up.

Old May 23rd, 2012 (6:20 PM).

My warps aren't working also any idea what may be wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: png warp.png‎ (132.2 KB, 9 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Youtube Channel.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (6:43 PM).

I replaced Nidoran (male) with Starly, I can't get the gender icon to appear.
Old May 23rd, 2012 (7:24 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2012 by Hadesminion13.

Quote:
The number of map names is indexed, and as such, it is finite. The game needs each map name to be given a number, for reference in something such as Caught location or the World Map. There is a limiting byte the prevents more from being added. Expanding it requires you to go through the Hex, modifying the limiting bytes, and repointing the name table; something easier said than done. Basically, you're stuck with the same number of names, and you HAVE to write over them. You can change the associates of the map, i.e. which map has which name, by selecting the name you want from the dropbox next to where you enter a name. For example, you could use the dropbox to select "Scorched Slab", then enter "Secret Route 1". All maps with Scorched Slab as a name will be turned into "Secret Route 1".

I recommend doing the renaming as soon as possible, to make sure you don't out of names. Emerald has a very distinct advantage naming-wise; Emerald gives you 212 free names. By comparison, Firered has 109 free names, and Ruby/Sapphire has only 86 free names. Either way, doing the naming now willl save alot of trouble.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up :D

By free names you mean names currently not in use by Emerald, correct? (Such as Pallet Town, all the other FRLG towns, anything else that isn't in use by Emerald)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
My warps aren't working also any idea what may be wrong?
You must have a tile that allows for warping, for example: a door, fading grass (Such as the tiles leading you to the forest at the beginning of RSE), ladder, etc...
(Open up in-game warps if you don't know what I mean, a good one is the forest entrance I mentioned earlier, but I think you're using FRLG so whatever the alternative is in that game. Sorry, I don't remember much of either of those)

Feed Me!

Adopted from Valenth
Old May 23rd, 2012 (7:42 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadesminion13 View Post
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up :D

By free names you mean names currently not in use by Emerald, correct? (Such as Pallet Town, all the other FRLG towns, anything else that isn't in use by Emerald)
I meant that there are 212 names in total. There are 109 FRLG towns/routes/etc in Emerald, which aren't used in the game at all, except for when trading from FRLG to Emerald, where Emerald can then say exactly where it was obtained. Luckily, Emerald has it so all locations built-in to it can be used. Even though Firered also has RSE route names programmed in, they aren't accessible at all :\

Old May 23rd, 2012 (10:00 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Try messing with the pallets. Search up some pallet tutorials, we have some good ones.
I played with the pallets and stuff but that didn't seem to work. In the rom the game plays fine and none of the pokemon seem to have anything wrong with them at all.
On some of the numbers where you can shift through the colors and pallets on unLZ GBA i can find the original colorings of the pokemon sometimes, but usually it's just varying shades of weird. I looked around for unLZ tutorials, but it's mostly just how to use the thing, and not how to fix or get around my problem.
Are there any other things I could do to figure this out or get around it?

Again, here's an example of my issue, I'll only use one this time:
Old May 23rd, 2012 (10:25 PM). Edited May 24th, 2012 by Telwen.

My question is about the scripts regarding connectivity of players in Emerald. I've noticed that, for some odd reason in some areas of my ROM certain sections has been corrupted for some reason or another (Battle tent and the starter dialogue you have with your rival when you try to pick up their pokeball in their room are some examples), and I fix them by setting the script to default (really not sure why this happens, but it does, I almost want to blame A-Text since everything else has just been graphical edits in pure free space located at the end of the ROM). However, I believe this has gotten to online play. I've tested it several times, and this is what i've noticed: The joining script is messed up. Or at least its possible such a script is somehow messed up.

If I connect two emulators with the same modified ROM and try to do, say, a single battle, the host walks into the room alone and waits for the joiner. However, the joiner never leaves the "[Player] has given the OK!" dialogue, so the game never moves on. Interestingly, if I connect the original ROM with the modified one and the modified ROM is the host, there are no problems and the game plays as normal. When I switch the roles (Modified ROM joins the Original ROM's game), the same issue happens in which the joiner does not move past the "[Player] has given the OK!" dialogue and the game is stuck. To make sure this is not an emulator issue, playing with two original ROMs results in the game playing as normal regardless of who hosts. Which suggests to me that something about that section of the ROM is corrupted.

In short, i'm asking for offsets for online play, or at least how I can look at the scripts for online play beyond the dialogue of the pokemon center NPCs (going into a script editor shows a pointer to a "special", which may be it, but I have no idea how to change that specifically). This way I can see what changed and correct it, because honestly changing the word "Pokemon" for three days straight again sounds like more work than just fixing this.

EDIT: Uh, surprisingly, I just fixed it. I kind of realized that the beginning of the ROM is really a big stability factor for the game. There's no reason why there should be any difference between the original and a modified ROM close to the beginning. However, there was a glaring issue, an entire line was different...for no reason. And I never touched the beginning of the ROM, either. After modifying the line in HEX Workshop, it worked.
Closed Thread Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links