Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Telwen
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
My question is about the scripts regarding connectivity of players in Emerald. I've noticed that, for some odd reason in some areas of my ROM certain sections has been corrupted for some reason or another (Battle tent and the starter dialogue you have with your rival when you try to pick up their pokeball in their room are some examples), and I fix them by setting the script to default (really not sure why this happens, but it does, I almost want to blame A-Text since everything else has just been graphical edits in pure free space located at the end of the ROM). However, I believe this has gotten to online play. I've tested it several times, and this is what i've noticed: The joining script is messed up. Or at least its possible such a script is somehow messed up.

If I connect two emulators with the same modified ROM and try to do, say, a single battle, the host walks into the room alone and waits for the joiner. However, the joiner never leaves the "[Player] has given the OK!" dialogue, so the game never moves on. Interestingly, if I connect the original ROM with the modified one and the modified ROM is the host, there are no problems and the game plays as normal. When I switch the roles (Modified ROM joins the Original ROM's game), the same issue happens in which the joiner does not move past the "[Player] has given the OK!" dialogue and the game is stuck. To make sure this is not an emulator issue, playing with two original ROMs results in the game playing as normal regardless of who hosts. Which suggests to me that something about that section of the ROM is corrupted.

In short, i'm asking for offsets for online play, or at least how I can look at the scripts for online play beyond the dialogue of the pokemon center NPCs (going into a script editor shows a pointer to a "special", which may be it, but I have no idea how to change that specifically). This way I can see what changed and correct it, because honestly changing the word "Pokemon" for three days straight again sounds like more work than just fixing this.

EDIT: Uh, surprisingly, I just fixed it. I kind of realized that the beginning of the ROM is really a big stability factor for the game. There's no reason why there should be any difference between the original and a modified ROM close to the beginning. However, there was a glaring issue, an entire line was different...for no reason. And I never touched the beginning of the ROM, either. After modifying the line in HEX Workshop, it worked.

Last edited by Telwen; May 24th, 2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Resolved my own question.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
vanillagfx
Togepi

How do you insert (overworld)trainer sprites on a sprite sheet into a rom?

Youtube Channel.

Last edited by vanillagfx; May 23rd, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Mallowigi
Beginning Trainer

Basically what I want to do is to display the description of my moves in game, to see if they fit since the tools don't provide it. Therefore I need to change my pokemon's attacks independently of the Pokemon in order to see the changes.

I've looked for a GS (Gameshark) code but haven't found nothing that works so far, so I'm asking if it is possible to edit it myself in hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
How do you insert (overworld)trainer sprites on a sprite sheet into a rom?
Ummm... A sprite sheet is for editing uses I think, you can't insert it directly onto the rom, you must insert them one after another (correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by Mallowigi; May 23rd, 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWolf View Post
I played with the pallets and stuff but that didn't seem to work. In the rom the game plays fine and none of the pokemon seem to have anything wrong with them at all.
On some of the numbers where you can shift through the colors and pallets on unLZ GBA i can find the original colorings of the pokemon sometimes, but usually it's just varying shades of weird. I looked around for unLZ tutorials, but it's mostly just how to use the thing, and not how to fix or get around my problem.
Are there any other things I could do to figure this out or get around it?

Again, here's an example of my issue, I'll only use one this time:
You could always try searching for the palette. There are most likely tutorials about how to use APE to search for a palette around here, because it's a useful skill. You'll then have the offset of the Image and Palette, so you can use NSE to open it up, and you'll be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
Basically what I want to do is to display the description of my moves in game, to see if they fit since the tools don't provide it. Therefore I need to change my pokemon's attacks independently of the Pokemon in order to see the changes.

I've looked for a GS (Gameshark) code but haven't found nothing that works so far, so I'm asking if it is possible to edit it myself in hex
This is doable, insofar as you have VBA and the links I showed you previously. At the bottom of the link for Gen III, you'll see the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
A trainer's team starts at the following addresses in the GBA's RAM (for US games?):
  • Ruby: 0x03004360
  • Sapphire: 0x03004360
  • Emerald: 0x02024190, 0x020244EC for US games
  • FireRed: 0x02024284
  • LeafGreen: 0x020241e4
There are 6 Pokémon per team, so the whole team continues for 600 bytes afterward.

Open up the game in VBA viewer, and pull up the Memory Viewer. Go to the offset, as shown above, and that's the beginning of the first pokemon in the party. Look around, using the data structure link as a guide, for it's moves (use this to help). Once you locate the moves, you can use the Memory viewer to change the values to each move. You'll have to close out of the Pokemon summary page each time, though, to "refresh" your changes.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Last edited by redriders180; May 23rd, 2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Jcscheper
Beginning Trainer

When I try to open my hacked version of FR, it says 'Unsupported ARM mode00'. How can I fix this? I really want to know if my hack was a succes.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Mallowigi
Beginning Trainer

Quite complicated for use (need to decrypt and such).

But I found this, it's a shame that it isn't in the Toolbox:

http://www.tjsdaily.com/2011/01/ciro...d-working.html
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Quite complicated for use (need to decrypt and such).

But I found this, it's a shame that it isn't in the Toolbox:

http://www.tjsdaily.com/2011/01/ciro...d-working.html
That'd probably be your best bet, because I just realized the method I posted won't work...The moves are in the encrypted data part, which is regulated with a checksum. You'd have to change the moves and the checksum, otherwise you'd be getting a bad egg. So I guess the method I mentioned is still viable, as long as you know what your doing.

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Valentin
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Do you mean that using Nidoran[m] doesn't work? How weird...
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
If I understand what you mean, [m] and [f] will allow you to display gender in a script.
Well yes, using Nidoran[m] does work, what i mean is that i replaced Nidoran[m] with the pokemon starly and the gender icon for starly isn't there because Nidoran[m] is genderless. I tried using YAPE and i made
STARLY:
male 50% female 50%
and it still gendeless in a pokemon battle or stats.
can anyone help me please.
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Kaith
Hacker of Fire

Nature: Relaxed
So I have a road blocked by two trainers and their two Pokemon having a battle. I have it set to remove the Pokemon after you get the first badge, but does anyone know how to set it to move the two trainers to different spots on the map?
Hackers, Hacker everywhere.

Hacks I support:
FloralSky

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaith View Post
So I have a road blocked by two trainers and their two Pokemon having a battle. I have it set to remove the Pokemon after you get the first badge, but does anyone know how to set it to move the two trainers to different spots on the map?
Applymovement will move the trainers temporarily, while movesprite2 will permanently move an OWs to another location, if put in a level script.

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM
vanillagfx
Togepi

Advanced map 1.92 what does this mean? "Error (enotapointer) advancemaperror(5): value $ffffffff is not a pointer! please contakt [email protected]" Fire red Also I keep finding high level sunfloras even tho I didn't add any pokemon in the game yet.

Youtube Channel.
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Aruaruu

okay. so I got Fire Red Omega and I don't really like having elekid, smoochum and magby as starters so I want to change them myself. I have done this but my rival uses smoochum/magby/elekid still... How do I change them? A-Trainer won't work, Trainer Editor doesn't even open....*sigh*

the thing i'm afraid of is that if I change rivals pokemon to say squirtle which he uses if you choose charmander he will use squirtle no matter what you pick...

excuse my lack of capitals.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I used A-starter to return defaults, thinking that was the problem...didn't work as mentioned above....

Last edited by Aruaruu; May 25th, 2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Because I was editing...?
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Mallowigi
Beginning Trainer

Probably hack overriding. A starter and such ate reserved for clean roms, use instead the hacker way and change the Pokemon inside the scripts with xse.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:36 AM
The Void
Rest from pain, and rest from wrong

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruaruu View Post
okay. so I got Fire Red Omega and I don't really like having elekid, smoochum and magby as starters so I want to change them myself. I have done this but my rival uses smoochum/magby/elekid still... How do I change them? A-Trainer won't work, Trainer Editor doesn't even open....*sigh*

the thing i'm afraid of is that if I change rivals pokemon to say squirtle which he uses if you choose charmander he will use squirtle no matter what you pick...

excuse my lack of capitals.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I used A-starter to return defaults, thinking that was the problem...didn't work as mentioned above....
A-Starter works pretty well for the case of editing starter Pokemon and what your rival's, but if that doesn't work, I suggest scripting the event manually with XSE/PKSV or something xD

It's what I always do in this case.
NEMO VIR EST QUI MUNDUM NON REDDAT MELIOREM.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
I generally get that error message if I've just deleted or edited Wild Pokemon data...I think A-map 1.95 changes the pointer you delete to $ffffffff instead of $00000000, but that's just a theory. Whenever I use A-map 1.92, I don't have a problem with editing Wild Pokemon. You can also fix it by opening up your ROM in A-map 1.92 and going to the problem map. Open the Wild Pokemon tab, hit "expand", uncheck everything, and save it. That aught to work, so long as the problem is the Wild Pokemon.

Old May 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Estolle
Beginning Trainer

Does anyone know where I could find the soundfount for Ruby/Sapphire? I've searched all over, and the one that I could find was uploaded to Megaupload..... which is down, like, forever.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Scorpiopt

i am working on my own hackrom for pokemon black i have a few questions:

Is it possible to add a new pokemon to the game if so how?
Is it possible to change what pokemon are allowed in the battle train?
Adding new items is it possible?
Don't take life too serious no one is getting out alive

Old May 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Alex
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I have a big delimma here. In unLZ GBA, when I run a deep scan, I somehow can't go back to normal scan mode afterward, even after closing/reopening the program.

I tried double-running the deep scan to see if it was a toggle menu item, but that didn't work. Because I remember deleting some settings file in unLZ's directory that gets created on opening which held the setting telling unLZ to run deep scans, I tried searching for it around unLZ. I turned off hiding hidden files and forced Windows to display protected operating system files when looking for it, but it was nowhere to be seen.

My last resort came to mind, which was scouting the Windows Registry (I'm familiar enough with it because I often set data for file extensions), because I know its purpose is for storing things ranging from local application settings to the OS's random number generator. I extensively searched through the Software and System subkeys of HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT, and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG—all without any results to speak of.

I'm thinking I could, per chance be overthinking things, but my recollection of searching the unLZ GUI over and over tells me otherwise. Where is this oh-so-illusive deep scan setting so I may kindly turn it back to normal scan mode?

Last edited by Alex; May 25th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:01 AM
LugiaMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post

You cannot use a ROM hack's tileset without the permission of the original owner, if you intend to publish it. Technically if you are just building something for your own amusement than it is allowed.

Have a look in the ROM Hacking Resources (a sticky in this forum section) for existing ROM-Bases which you may use, if you give the owners credit. If there you can't find one you can always insert your own tiles - there are tutorials in the 'Tutorial' forum.
I had a look in the ROM Hacking Resources, the Fire Red D/P ROM Base are only D/P Tree and other, there're no D/P PokeCenter, D/P PokeMart, D/P GYM at tileset 1. I don't know how to insert PokeCenter or every building at tileset 1, I only know how to insert tileset 2, I can't find a editing tileset 1 building tutorial at 'Tutorial' forum.Can you give me a ROM-Bases have D/P PokeCenter, D/P PokeMart, D/P GYM and D/P Tree at tileset 1? Or give me a tutorial to insert tileset 1 building? Thanks you.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
I had a look in the ROM Hacking Resources, the Fire Red D/P ROM Base are only D/P Tree and other, there're no D/P PokeCenter, D/P PokeMart, D/P GYM at tileset 1. I don't know how to insert PokeCenter or every building at tileset 1, I only know how to insert tileset 2, I can't find a editing tileset 1 building tutorial at 'Tutorial' forum.Can you give me a ROM-Bases have D/P PokeCenter, D/P PokeMart, D/P GYM and D/P Tree at tileset 1? Or give me a tutorial to insert tileset 1 building? Thanks you.
I'm pretty sure changing tileset 1 is exactly the same as changing tileset 2, except you're given more space with tileset 1 (128x320) than tileset 2 (128x192).

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
LugiaMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
I'm pretty sure changing tileset 1 is exactly the same as changing tileset 2, except you're given more space with tileset 1 (128x320) than tileset 2 (128x192).
... When I changing tileset 1 PokeCenter to D/P PokeCenter, the size of PokeMart also changed same to PokeCenter. I need a diffrent PokeCenter and PokeMart, how I need to do it? Thanks.

PS: My bad english
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Capitalist Ness

Nature: Relaxed
I think I've asked that before, but...
I want to make the item Stick work for Torkoal, for example. What's the offset for its effect? In Item Manager its Special1 is 66.
Oh, and same with Thick Club. I want it to work for a different Pokemon. It's Special1 is 65.
Oh, and please, no advices like "replace Farfetch'd with x", because I want my game to have a correct Pokedex. If there's no way, then maybe there's a way to set Cubone into Hoenn dex? Is there any program for that, or it needs hex editing?

Sorry for bad English.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
I think I've asked that before, but...
I want to make the item Stick work for Torkoal, for example. What's the offset for its effect? In Item Manager its Special1 is 66.
Oh, and same with Thick Club. I want it to work for a different Pokemon. It's Special1 is 65.
Oh, and please, no advices like "replace Farfetch'd with x", because I want my game to have a correct Pokedex. If there's no way, then maybe there's a way to set Cubone into Hoenn dex? Is there any program for that, or it needs hex editing?

Sorry for bad English.
Truly, the simplest way would be to replace Farfetch'd with x. If the only reason you don't want to is to preserve the Pokedex, I know of at least two Pokedex Order Editors out there. I also know on one of the latter pages of the Research and Development thread details how to use a hex editor to edit the Hoenn Dex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
... When I changing tileset 1 PokeCenter to D/P PokeCenter, the size of PokeMart also changed same to PokeCenter. I need a diffrent PokeCenter and PokeMart, how I need to do it? Thanks.

PS: My bad english
I don't know what method you use, But I just open A-map, click the purple puzzle piece, then go to Picture>Save Tileset 1. Save it somewhere, open it in paint, add the graphics you need, making sure the COLORS MATCH THE ORIGINAL, then put it back in A-map with Picture>Load Tileset 1.

I recommend A-Map 1.95 for this process, since whenever I use A-Map 1.92, it exports the tileset in a strange file type.

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Tanveer
Beginning Trainer

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...95#post7191695

I am looking to learn how to add a new pokemon, moves, edit stats etc.

Coudnt find a good enough guide.
Is there any guide or at least brief info all put together?

thanks

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer View Post
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...95#post7191695

I am looking to learn how to add a new pokemon, moves, edit stats etc.

Coudnt find a good enough guide.
Is there any guide or at least brief info all put together?

thanks
I'm pretty sure there aren't any guides to it, because it hasn't been done flawlessly yet. With the Ruby and Firered 649 Projects, there are still plenty of bugs that need to be solved.

If you think about it, the sheer scope of adding even one Pokemon is massive. You'd need to repoint tons of data, not limited to: Stats table, ability table, learnable moves table, TM/HM learning table, Daycare rules, Pokedex entries, cries, Evolution table, Pokedex data, not to mention completely editing the Pokedex in general to support more than 386 Pokemon, finding all limiting bytes that prevent more than 411 Pokemon from existing, and with potentially editing associated ASM with Pokemon-related coding, such as cry and showpokepic, not to mention anything I can't think of. Feel free to try yourself, but there isn't a guide yet.

Expanding the number of moves, however, IS possible. And there's a tutorial here too. I'd do a search around to find it.

Editing Stats in general can be done with YAPE, or any other Pokemon Editor out there.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here