Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2012 (05:59 AM).
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by DarkRisingGirl:
Hey Everyone, I have a Question about using Unlz.gba for introduction hacking.

I've looked through tutorials and I see the number to edit the fire red hero in Unlz.gba is 341 & clicking the black/white box. However, when I go to that number in my rom, he does not appear. In an un-edited fire red rom, I went to 349(it wasn't in 341 in this one either) and I saw the fire red hero there. So what gives? All I did in my Edited rom was add pokemon and change a few maps/created scripts.

My question is, do the number for the introduction hero sprite change? I never tried to change the hero before until now in my edited rom, so I don't understand why it was not in 341 or 349.
Is there any way for me to find it so I can change it? It's pretty much one of the very few things preventing me from releasing a beta of my rom and I would appriciate any help in finding where it is in unlz.gba. Thank You.
You said you "added" POKéMON and change a few maps.
That would mean that you have assigned the new inserted graphics to your ROM, and they are now holding new numbers instead of their default.
If you haven't touched the main character yet, then I am sure it's still there, but you'll have to find it for yourself.

In my current hack (Ruby hack), I replaced the old PKMN with new poses, and of course, I need to repoint them.
Repointing them can change the images' order in Unlz-GBA.
So, before, Bulbasaur was around 800+, but now, he moved in 200+ or so.

Just look for the one you're looking for.

FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old May 30th, 2012 (06:20 AM).

Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
You should be able to get that start menu option back by making a script in XSE with the command 'setflag 0x828'. Interact with that script n-game and the option will reappear.

In your first picture, the tile behaviours don't appear to be correct. Open the tileset editor in advance map, select the tile that is obscuring the player's head, open the 'background byte' selection bar and scroll down to/ select "Block is covered by hero".

As for the second picture, you shouldn't use the Movement Permission 0 throughout your map - C is the standard permission for regular ground.
I'd like to add that this flag must be given by a npc rather than a tile. Stumbled upon this problem a while ago so I thought I'd share :p
Old May 30th, 2012 (06:36 AM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Mallowigi:
I'd like to add that this flag must be given by a npc rather than a tile. Stumbled upon this problem a while ago so I thought I'd share :p
Nope, it can be activated either way.
Old May 30th, 2012 (11:25 AM).
Order Must Be Restored

Nature: Relaxed
`
Quote originally posted by destinedjagold:

You said you "added" POKéMON and change a few maps.
That would mean that you have assigned the new inserted graphics to your ROM, and they are now holding new numbers instead of their default.
If you haven't touched the main character yet, then I am sure it's still there, but you'll have to find it for yourself.

In my current hack (Ruby hack), I replaced the old PKMN with new poses, and of course, I need to repoint them.
Repointing them can change the images' order in Unlz-GBA.
So, before, Bulbasaur was around 800+, but now, he moved in 200+ or so.

Just look for the one you're looking for.
It worked! I looked thru all of the numbers & it was 448. Thank you So Much!
Old May 31st, 2012 (05:33 AM).

i was redirected here by and admin/mod for my request.

I am brand friggin new, and honestly, only joined to get help with hacking.

I can do just about everything except script. Making people talk is easy. There's like a thousand youtube videos on it.

My request is: Can anyone sit down with me and teach me script from the ground up.

I have been working on a completely new gen of pokemon and have been working on replacing pokemon in the pokedex with them. However, i want to have my own story events at the beginning.

I am also working on a digimon spin-off lol. It'll be awesome. I haven't found a decent digimon ROM hack yet, so i want mine to be perfect!

That's about it.
Old May 31st, 2012 (07:12 AM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by hughrock:
i was redirected here by and admin/mod for my request.

I am brand friggin new, and honestly, only joined to get help with hacking.

I can do just about everything except script. Making people talk is easy. There's like a thousand youtube videos on it.

My request is: Can anyone sit down with me and teach me script from the ground up.

I have been working on a completely new gen of pokemon and have been working on replacing pokemon in the pokedex with them. However, i want to have my own story events at the beginning.

I am also working on a digimon spin-off lol. It'll be awesome. I haven't found a decent digimon ROM hack yet, so i want mine to be perfect!

That's about it.
When you say "new gen", do you mean you're hacking a newer gen, i.e. Gen V or Gen IV, or are you "creating" your own gen, i.e adding completely nonexistant and designed by you Pokemon and region and everything, by hacking a Gen III or lower game? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to help you, so long as it's Gen III. Anything higher (or lower) I cant help you with, because I don't know how to script with it. Send me a PM if you need a scripting teacher for Gen III, otherwise, I won't be able to help.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old May 31st, 2012 (09:13 AM).
ModeratorCS

So it appears removeitem doesn't work for Key Items. How would one go about removing a key item?
I'm using FireRed, if that is of any consollation.
Old May 31st, 2012 (09:16 AM).

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
So it appears removeitem doesn't work for Key Items. How would one go about removing a key item?
I'm using FireRed, if that is of any consollation.
I just did a very quick test, and I was able to use removitem to remove both the Good Rod, which is a sort of minor item, and the TM Case, which is a sort of major item, and it worked fine. What are you trying to remove?

Edit: I was able to answer your question 3 minutes after you asked that...I think that's concrete proof I spend way to much time here...meh XD

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old May 31st, 2012 (09:36 AM).
ModeratorCS

...nevermind, I made an extremely dumb mistake...

...that is, I left out the removeitem command. Ehe... Yeeeeeeah...

Thanks for the help anyway, aha... ^^'
Old May 31st, 2012 (01:58 PM).

Quote:
When you say "new gen", do you mean you're hacking a newer gen, i.e. Gen V or Gen IV, or are you "creating" your own gen, i.e adding completely nonexistant and designed by you Pokemon and region and everything, by hacking a Gen III or lower game? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to help you, so long as it's Gen III. Anything higher (or lower) I cant help you with, because I don't know how to script with it. Send me a PM if you need a scripting teacher for Gen III, otherwise, I won't be able to help.
Sorry. I meant "recreate" gens 3 and below.

Also, i attempted to IM you from your profile page, but it gives me a URL ERROR
Old May 31st, 2012 (11:55 PM).
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
I'm at a loss as to using the feature in jpan's hacked engine to change where you end up when you whiteout, can anyone explain how to set this up?
Old June 1st, 2012 (06:23 AM). Edited June 1st, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote originally posted by itman:
I'm at a loss as to using the feature in jpan's hacked engine to change where you end up when you whiteout, can anyone explain how to set this up?
JPANs hack engine no longer provides use to the "sethealingplace" command, using three variables instead. All you have to do is use setvar on three variables, and you'll whiteout in any place you want. The variables are set up like this:

Variable 0x405A is the map and bank, laid out like 0xMMbb, with MM being the map number and bb being the bank number, in hex of course. For example, if you want to white out at map 5, in bank 6, you would use setvar 0x405A 0x0506. Or, if you wanted to white out at map 3, in bank 7, you would use setvar 0x405A 0x0307.

Variable 0x405B is the X coordinate of where you wipe out, as seen in Advance Map.

Variable 0x405C is the Y coordinate of where you wipe out, as seen in Advance Map.

All you have to do is set those variables in a level script in a Pokemon Center or any other place you want to wipe out at. Because of this, Variables 0x405A, 0x405B, and 0x405C shouldn't be used at all in other scripts.

Old June 1st, 2012 (02:04 PM). Edited June 1st, 2012 by YogiBerra.

Hello. I am making a hack of Pokemon FireRed and I have just started. I began with trying to add a new floor into the player's house in Pallet Town. So basically, instead of the player going downstairs and coming in the first floor of the house, they would come down to a hallway with another staircase at the end that takes them all the way downstairs.

So I inserted the new map by clicking the "Insert Map" shortcut at the top and I changed the size to suit my needs and then did all the mapping, changed the movement permissions, put all of my new warps in (Warps are the only events in the new map) and I linked the warp between the bottom of the stairs here, and the top of the stairs up in the player's room. I'm almost positive that everything is linked correctly and I've tried several different tile behaviors on the top and bottom of the stairs, but I'm still getting the problem.

The problem is that when I go down the stairs, I get a black screen, as if the map didn't load. The music still plays, but I'm pretty sure I can't move (even though I couldn't see if I could). I have tried linking the player's room (which is currently unchanged, though I plan to change it) to the bottom floor (which is also unchanged, but it will be changed again) and that works, but going to the created floor does not. Everything links up right in Advance Map and everything, but just not when I play through it in VBA.

Thank you to anybody who can help, I'm sorry about my long-windedness but I wanted to give as much information as possible. If you have any questions or if I should make a new topic or move this or anything, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks again!

Edit: I am using Advance Map by the way, I forgot to mention that.
Old June 1st, 2012 (04:18 PM).

Alright, I've searched the thread and I don't think my particular issue has been asked about before.

Information about what I'm using:
FireRed Rom (English)
VisualBoyAdvance
Pokemon Editor (From the GBA Pokemon Game Editor by Gamer2020 and 0xRH) (I've also attempted YASE with no luck).
A-Starter
A-Trainer

Issue:
I am unable to change how some pokemon evolve. To describe my issue, I am will use an Eevee.
I used A-Starter to change one of my starters to an Eevee, and set my starter to hold a Moon Stone.
I then used Pokemon Editor to change Eevee to evolve into Umbreon with a Moon Stone, and Espeon with a Sun Stone.

I immediately upon entering game attempt to use the Moon Stone to evolve Eevee. It begins the animation for evolution, but then halts and declares "...huh?" and I am returned to the item inventory screen.

I attempted to solve this myself by using a clean FireRed ROM, making the change to an Eevee Starter, and then use YASE to attempt the changes; this time fully deleting the evolution options for Eevee, and then reattaching them with the appropriate flags in YASE. Again, I start the ROM from a clean save and attempt immediately, before facing my rival; same issue occurs.

I continue the save file and attempt after I receive the Pokedex, as well.

Can someone please advise me of what I've done wrong, or suggest any possible fixes?
Old June 1st, 2012 (04:51 PM).

Quote originally posted by Nikose:
Alright, I've searched the thread and I don't think my particular issue has been asked about before.

Information about what I'm using:
FireRed Rom (English)
VisualBoyAdvance
Pokemon Editor (From the GBA Pokemon Game Editor by Gamer2020 and 0xRH) (I've also attempted YASE with no luck).
A-Starter
A-Trainer

Issue:
I am unable to change how some pokemon evolve. To describe my issue, I am will use an Eevee.
I used A-Starter to change one of my starters to an Eevee, and set my starter to hold a Moon Stone.
I then used Pokemon Editor to change Eevee to evolve into Umbreon with a Moon Stone, and Espeon with a Sun Stone.

I immediately upon entering game attempt to use the Moon Stone to evolve Eevee. It begins the animation for evolution, but then halts and declares "...huh?" and I am returned to the item inventory screen.

I attempted to solve this myself by using a clean FireRed ROM, making the change to an Eevee Starter, and then use YASE to attempt the changes; this time fully deleting the evolution options for Eevee, and then reattaching them with the appropriate flags in YASE. Again, I start the ROM from a clean save and attempt immediately, before facing my rival; same issue occurs.

I continue the save file and attempt after I receive the Pokedex, as well.

Can someone please advise me of what I've done wrong, or suggest any possible fixes?
This problem actually happens extremely often, and I think it's been asked alot on here. In Firered, the only Pokemon that evolve are Pokemon from Gen I, unless you have the National Dex. This is to prevent Golbat evolving into Crobat, Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon, etc. etc. To fix, enable the National Dex.

Old June 1st, 2012 (05:04 PM).

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
This problem actually happens extremely often, and I think it's been asked alot on here. In Firered, the only Pokemon that evolve are Pokemon from Gen I, unless you have the National Dex. This is to prevent Golbat evolving into Crobat, Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon, etc. etc. To fix, enable the National Dex.
Thank you very much! I'll start looking for how to do that now. (If you know where to link me for that information, could you PM it to me? I appreciate it.)
Old June 1st, 2012 (05:18 PM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Nikose:
Thank you very much! :) I'll start looking for how to do that now. (If you know where to link me for that information, could you PM it to me? I appreciate it.)
In FireRed you activate the National Pokedex by writing a script with the command 'special 0x16F' somewhere in it. Place it in a person event or green script tile and interact with it in-game. The best time to activate this would be when you get your regular Pokedex.
Old June 1st, 2012 (05:37 PM).

Thank you! That makes all this much easier.
Old June 2nd, 2012 (10:27 AM).

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to auramasterXD
Hi everyone!
I have been making rom hack from fire red
and i followed xatokus intro editing tutorial, But i don't know what is rivals intro sprite APE offset palette. And if i just import the sprite with unlz the sprite has wrong colors and red cube surrouding it.

So what i have to do?
Old June 2nd, 2012 (10:34 AM).

Nature: Quiet
I'm trying to find a Pokémon editor for GSC. I'm currently re-playing through Crystal through an emulator and I'm using Geodude and Abra in my team, but I cannot get their last forms without trading, so I'd like to find a simple program that can change the evolution requirements. I have used YAPE for GBA roms, but is doesn't read GBC roms.

I'm thinking of making them evolve around level 36 or maybe even through max friendship.
Old June 2nd, 2012 (10:56 AM).
Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote originally posted by MrTripStack:
I'm trying to find a Pokémon editor for GSC. I'm currently re-playing through Crystal through an emulator and I'm using Geodude and Abra in my team, but I cannot get their last forms without trading, so I'd like to find a simple program that can change the evolution requirements. I have used YAPE for GBA roms, but is doesn't read GBC roms.

I'm thinking of making them evolve around level 36 or maybe even through max friendship.
Time to learn to use a hex editor!
This is a pretty easy thing you're trying to do so there is also a newbie-friendly tutorial for this stuff.
Editing level-up moves and evolutions

If you're having problems, PM me or join Skeetendo and ask on that thread I linked.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 2nd, 2012 (12:23 PM).

Since I'm relatively new to hacking I was messing around with a hack. I was trying to edit the intro hero, but before I knew what I was doing I inserted one that was to small using UnLZ. But now that I want to put in a proper one I can't for some reason. Using UnLZ it just doesn't appear even though I was able to use that way on a clean rom. And using NSE I can't make the sprite 8 x 12 so that I can insert a new one. So my question is, is there anyone to change it back from 8x8 to 8x12 ?
Old June 2nd, 2012 (06:45 PM).

Okay, so I've been learning some asm recently, and, I must say - people make it out to be a lot harder than it really is. It's a bit annoying to remember the syntax, but using it is easy, or at least, far easier than I was expecting.

But, I do have a little question - does pushing registers actually set the value in the register to zero? That may be a silly question, but as far as I can tell, all it does is put the data into the stack.

The reason why I ask is that, I have a routine that actually requires pushing the registers in the middle of it (parts of it need manipulating a lot of registers at once), and I didn't want to have to have a ton of lines of "sub rx,rx,rx" if I don't need them.
Old June 2nd, 2012 (07:49 PM).
Flying Type Master

I keep getting the same error code over and over again any time I try to use a map editing program. "Component COMDLG32.OXC or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid." Now before you ask, I have located said file and have tried everything I can think of to make it register with the program, placing it in the same folder is the most obvious of choices BUT it doesn't work. Plain and simple.

Suggestions?

I'm a big deal bruh. Ya heard?
Pokemon Yellow Version Walkthrough
Pokemon Platinum Version Walkthrough
Pokemon Black Version Walkthrough
Old June 2nd, 2012 (08:58 PM).

What tools would edit the moves at which level a pokemon will learn.

Youtube Channel.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)