The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
vanillagfx
Togepi

Advertise here
What tools would edit the moves at which level a pokemon will learn.

Youtube Channel.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
What tools would edit the moves at which level a pokemon will learn.
Just a simple YAPE can do that.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
YogiBerra

Now I'm having a different problem with the same warp as before. I go to the warp at the top of the stairs in the player's room, which I have changed to go downstairs to a hallway-like floor which has stairs at the other end to take the player down to the main floor (I have attached a picture of this map). When I try to go down the stairs, the game freezes. I can't move or open the menu or do anything, it's just frozen. I have checked tile behaviors, made sure the warps connect, made sure all other events in both maps are good, but it still doesn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map1.JPG‎ (4.2 KB, 10 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Waggs
Beginning Trainer

I managed to fix my size issue but now I have another problem. I changed the intro sprite in both NSE & UnLZ (Because the change wasn't working in UnLZ). NSE & UnLZ both show the same sprite but the in game sprite is the old one. Anyway I can fix that?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru Eagle View Post
I keep getting the same error code over and over again any time I try to use a map editing program. "Component COMDLG32.OXC or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid." Now before you ask, I have located said file and have tried everything I can think of to make it register with the program, placing it in the same folder is the most obvious of choices BUT it doesn't work. Plain and simple.

Suggestions?
You need to take the file, and register it with Windows. I'd suggest looking up how to register .OCX files online, since I can't really explain it well. It involves using the command prompt, and a little logic, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBerra View Post
Now I'm having a different problem with the same warp as before. I go to the warp at the top of the stairs in the player's room, which I have changed to go downstairs to a hallway-like floor which has stairs at the other end to take the player down to the main floor (I have attached a picture of this map). When I try to go down the stairs, the game freezes. I can't move or open the menu or do anything, it's just frozen. I have checked tile behaviors, made sure the warps connect, made sure all other events in both maps are good, but it still doesn't work.
Just as clarification, is it freezing when you step on the warp, or is it warping to a black screen, then freezing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggs View Post
I managed to fix my size issue but now I have another problem. I changed the intro sprite in both NSE & UnLZ (Because the change wasn't working in UnLZ). NSE & UnLZ both show the same sprite but the in game sprite is the old one. Anyway I can fix that?
Here is what I think happened:
You inserted a smaller sprite over a larger one. Since it was smaller, you were able to successfully overwrite the larger one with it, so it showed up in-game just fine. You then attempted to put a larger sprite over a smaller sprite. If you do this in most programs, the image will be placed somewhere in free space, and not overwrite the smaller sprite. Basically, your new, large sprite is at a different offset than the smaller one. The game, when it runs the intro sequence, probably loads the image from the smaller one's offset. The solution would be to change the hex code to load the image from the larger one's offset. You could do this by searching for the smaller images offset in a hex editor, and replacing it with the larger image's offset.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
YogiBerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Just as clarification, is it freezing when you step on the warp, or is it warping to a black screen, then freezing?
It freezes as soon as I step on the warp. I even tried linking it back to the downstairs like it normally is, and the same thing happened.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Waggs
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
The solution would be to change the hex code to load the image from the larger one's offset. You could do this by searching for the smaller images offset in a hex editor, and replacing it with the larger image's offset.
How would I find the smaller images offset? It was 46163C (Something similar I have it saved in notepad) but I was able to overwrite that with an image with an image with less kb. So when I go to where the smaller image was it's replaced but in game its still the old one.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Kaith
Hacker of Fire

Nature: Relaxed
So I applied a patch to my firered rom, (found here:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=146) for new tiles since i suck at manually adding new ones in or creating them. But the problem is that whenever a door is used the tiles for the house get messed up. (Just apply the patch to a clean fire red rom and play it. you'll see what I mean)

Hacks I support:
FloralSky

Old June 4th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Ark_Silvanos

Quote:
The solution would be to change the hex code to load the image from the larger one's offset. You could do this by searching for the smaller images offset in a hex editor, and replacing it with the larger image's offset.
I thought he would have to change the pointer to the offset? not the actual offset. i dunno i could be wrong

neway dude, lets assume ur sprites are named orig, replaced by sprite1, replaced by sprite2. if u want to change the pointer, just open up ur rom in a hex editor, split the offset of sprite1 up into bytes, reverse them and add 08 (so 46 16 3C would become [3C 16 46 08] <--- thats a pointer) use the find function to find where ever the sequence showed up. Take the offset of sprite2, make it a pointer and replace the pointers (note the position of it tho). Check if it changed, if not, go back, change the sequence back and find the next instance of the sequence. Thats assuming the intro sequence loads the pointer (which i'm pretty sure it does)

but thats really complicated... just start over with a fresh rom. When i first tried changing the intro hero, when i used the 'automatically fix pointers' it only changed the first time, when i inserted a new image after that for the intro hero, it didn't. So i think UnLZ only checks for the pointer 1 time. so back up ur rom each time u try, and restart the process if it messes up.

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark_Silvanos View Post
When i first tried changing the intro hero, when i used the 'automatically fix pointers' it only changed the first time, when i inserted a new image after that for the intro hero, it didn't. So i think UnLZ only checks for the pointer 1 time. so back up ur rom each time u try, and restart the process if it messes up.
You're partially right in this regard. The first time around, you're replacing the actual hero sprite, and UNLZ.gba would then turn all pointers of the original image into pointers for the new image (Call it Image1). If you then try to change the image again (Call in Image2), you have to turn all pointers of Image1 into the pointers if Image2. So, opening up UNLZ.gba and going to the original original sprite, aka the one of Red or Leaf, putting in a new image, and trying to automatically repoint won't do anything, because nothing points to that image in the first place anymore. And I don't know, maybe you didn't do that, but I just want to make sure everyone who reads this understands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaith View Post
So I applied a patch to my firered rom, (found here:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=146) for new tiles since i suck at manually adding new ones in or creating them. But the problem is that whenever a door is used the tiles for the house get messed up. (Just apply the patch to a clean fire red rom and play it. you'll see what I mean)
When you say mess up, do you mean all the tiles glitch out, or are there little bits and pieces that sort of animate when you open a door? The latter happened to me once, and it's usually because the very last five or so tiles, while they may be invisible when editing tiles, are actually used for doors in games. When I make my tiles, i generally don't put anything in the last row, just to be safe.

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Ark_Silvanos

Quote:
You're partially right in this regard. The first time around, you're replacing the actual hero sprite, and UNLZ.gba would then turn all pointers of the original image into pointers for the new image (Call it Image1). If you then try to change the image again (Call in Image2), you have to turn all pointers of Image1 into the pointers if Image2. So, opening up UNLZ.gba and going to the original original sprite, aka the one of Red or Leaf, putting in a new image, and trying to automatically repoint won't do anything, because nothing points to that image in the first place anymore. And I don't know, maybe you didn't do that, but I just want to make sure everyone who reads this understands.

oh lol... im a dolt... it didnt hit me till u mentioned it... that was like 2 years ago when i didn't kno what i was doing and just following the tutorials and playing around with the tools but it makes so much sense now
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
YogiBerra

Quote:
It freezes as soon as I step on the warp. I even tried linking it back to the downstairs like it normally is, and the same thing happened.
Now none of my warps are working. Even the ones that were existing before I touched anything are broken. I step on the tile and they freeze.
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:40 AM
auramasterXD
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to auramasterXD
Hi
I have problem with my fire red hack that i have been making.
When my cyndaquil should evolve. Evolution animation starts but cyndaquils sprite wont start blinking between quilavas and then animation stops and cyndaquil still as cyndaquil and message says ''?''. what should i do?
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:55 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by auramasterXD View Post
Hi
I have problem with my fire red hack that i have been making.
When my cyndaquil should evolve. Evolution animation starts but cyndaquils sprite wont start blinking between quilavas and then animation stops and cyndaquil still as cyndaquil and message says ''?''. what should i do?
That's because you need the National Dex in order to evolve non-Kanto Pokemon in FRLG. You can activate the national Dex by using the command 'special 0x16F' in a script. Place it in a person event or green script tile and interact with it in-game. The best time to activate this would be when you get your regular Pokedex.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:45 AM
redriders180

First, my question, because I'm honestly stumped on what to do, so forgive me if the answer is straightfoward or not.

For reasons that would just bore anyone if I told why, I need to make a way to make the player dismount their bike. I know there's a special that forces the player onto the bike, and I intend to use it as well, but I need a way to take the player off of the bike, using only a script and nothing else, so no special tile behaviors or anything.

Quote:
Now none of my warps are working. Even the ones that were existing before I touched anything are broken. I step on the tile and they freeze.
Now seems like a great time to boot up your backup. It seems you messed up something inside your game that controls warping or something.

Old June 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Puccio
Green Oak

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Puccio Send a message via Skype™ to Puccio
Hey guys. Does a learning move modifier for GSC exist? I really need to find one. D:
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM
SpadeEdge16

I have two problems with my Fire Red Rom.
First, when I add my new pokemon into the game as starters and I leave my house for the first time, the screen goes black and freezes. I've checked without my new Pokemon in the game and it doesn't freeze until I put them in. Why is this happening?
Second, when I insert a trainer into Advance Map, I try to save it and it won't let me. I used Advance Trainer to make a new trainer, gave it a new script and used that script offset for the trainer, and it won't let me save my work on Advance Map. How do I fix this?
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
MadThrasher
Beginning Trainer

Hi everyone! I'm really new into ROM hacking. Actually, I don't know much about it (I'm not even sure if my post is in the right section), but how hard can it be to translate a game into another language? Apparently, the tool Advance Text works like a charm. But my language always likes to be unique, and the case is the same when we come to writing it.

Therefore, I can write some letters without problem (ö, ü, á, é, ó), but some of them can't seem to work. I can understand why ő and ű are not supported, but what about í? It is used in at least the Spanish version as well.

So my question is: how can I get the letters Ő/ő, Ű/ű and Í/í show up in the translation? Please don't forget that I'm still a noob, so most likely I wouldn't understand too deep technical stuff.

(Also, a bonus point is given if you can find out which language I'm talking about.)
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
How would one go about changing which flag activates which HM? Or, how does one change which order the badges appear in the trainer card?
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:46 PM
-xJasonx-
Beginning Trainer

I'm trying to include a charmander give away script into my game....
Anyway that isn't the problem.....
When I receive the charmander it is called "Kachu" and this is the same when I try to modify the wild pokemon.
For bulbasaur there isn't even a name.....

What could be the problem? am I using an outdated version?
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM
YogiBerra

Quote:
Now seems like a great time to boot up your backup. It seems you messed up something inside your game that controls warping or something.
I was worried someone would say that. I've made significant other progress on the hack, but I suppose my backup will have to do. Could size incompatibilities between maps be an issue? I would just really like to know what went wrong.
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
redriders180

Quote:
I was worried someone would say that. I've made significant other progress on the hack, but I suppose my backup will have to do. Could size incompatibilities between maps be an issue? I would just really like to know what went wrong.
If you want, just open up the broken and fixed versions of the game, and transfer the maps and scripts between them. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I guess adding the map messed up the warping capabilities, somehow. I don't think its the size, because I've changed the size of many maps without a hitch so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
How would one go about changing which flag activates which HM? Or, how does one change which order the badges appear in the trainer card?
For Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, all you'd have to do is open up the scripts associated with the OW, and change which flag it checks for. In regards to Surf, Fly, Waterfall, and Dive, the flags are checked in ASM, so they would have to be changed in ASM accordingly. I don't know where or how to go about doing that, however. For changing the badges, there's a picture of every badge in a line somewhere in UNLZ.gba. It shouldn't be too hard to find. All you'd have to do is export it, rearrange it, and re-import it to change which badge appears where. Although I have a nagging feeling you mean you want to change which badge appears in which slot, i.e. make the ThunderBadge appear in the first slot, but keep the capabilities of it setting the able-to-fly flag which can only be done in the third spot. As for that, I don't know how to do it either. Much luck!

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Rokou
» inactive

Nature: Quiet
I need vbalCbEx6.ocx in order to run Sappy. I wonder if anyone can send me a private message or something since the official download from vbaccelerator is not longer aviable.
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
For Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, all you'd have to do is open up the scripts associated with the OW, and change which flag it checks for. In regards to Surf, Fly, Waterfall, and Dive, the flags are checked in ASM, so they would have to be changed in ASM accordingly. I don't know where or how to go about doing that, however. For changing the badges, there's a picture of every badge in a line somewhere in UNLZ.gba. It shouldn't be too hard to find. All you'd have to do is export it, rearrange it, and re-import it to change which badge appears where. Although I have a nagging feeling you mean you want to change which badge appears in which slot, i.e. make the ThunderBadge appear in the first slot, but keep the capabilities of it setting the able-to-fly flag which can only be done in the third spot. As for that, I don't know how to do it either. Much luck!
Haha yeah, I figured it wouldnt be as straightforward as changing a few bytes. oooh well.
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:16 AM
MadThrasher
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadThrasher View Post
Hi everyone! I'm really new into ROM hacking. Actually, I don't know much about it (I'm not even sure if my post is in the right section), but how hard can it be to translate a game into another language? Apparently, the tool Advance Text works like a charm. But my language always likes to be unique, and the case is the same when we come to writing it.

Therefore, I can write some letters without problem (ö, ü, á, é, ó), but some of them can't seem to work. I can understand why ő and ű are not supported, but what about í? It is used in at least the Spanish version as well.

So my question is: how can I get the letters Ő/ő, Ű/ű and Í/í show up in the translation? Please don't forget that I'm still a noob, so most likely I wouldn't understand too deep technical stuff.

(Also, a bonus point is given if you can find out which language I'm talking about.)
OK, so I found a character table for them and got Í/í to work. Meanwhile, I figured out that there are many, many useless letters to replace with Ő/ő and Ű/ű. So now the only question I have: how do I edit the tiles for these letters? What tools do I need? I haven't been able to find information related to this. Thanks in advance!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here