Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 16th, 2012 (11:50 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Sark:
I'm now wondering why there's blank space between Celebi and Treecko. :/
For us, hackers, to find them and use them to have more Pokémon and for developers as a matter of debugging and preventing ROMs from crashes.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 17th, 2012 (10:30 AM).
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
In Pokemon Fire Red is it possible to replace each Unown palette? Like if I wanted to put clone Pokemon in would I be able to have each one with it's own individual colors by replacing Unown?
Old June 17th, 2012 (04:35 PM).
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

I was wondering if anyone had really tried tampering with the in-battle textbox (on an extensive note). It seems any time I try to do anything with it (besides editing the palettes) it just makes the game crash when I enter into battles.

Note: I know Frostbite did this in Azure Horizons which tells me that it's possible but I don't think I'll get a response from him.
Old June 17th, 2012 (06:16 PM).
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I'm just starting to hack Pokemon games, and I'm wondering about this whole scripting thing, which I know very little of at the moment. Which program would you recommend to work with for a beginner like me? I've know of three: Pokescript, XSE, and PKSV.
Old June 18th, 2012 (12:17 AM).
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote originally posted by Darkrai Lv.1000:
I'm just starting to hack Pokemon games, and I'm wondering about this whole scripting thing, which I know very little of at the moment. Which program would you recommend to work with for a beginner like me? I've know of three: Pokescript, XSE, and PKSV.
XSE because It's the widely use scripting program for us...
Old June 18th, 2012 (12:28 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
XSE is most used here so you will have the biggest chance that someone answers your question if you encounter some problems.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 18th, 2012 (02:15 AM).
lJdudel
Beginning Trainer

Hey guys,
I hack on a Mac, so I use crossover to hack my Pokemanz. Well, I can only use A-Map and PKSV for scripting. When I try to open A-Mart, A-Text, A-Starter, or any other hacking utilities, they simply wont open up. No errors or anything, just nothing. What should I do about this, since it severely hinders my hacking abilities.
Old June 18th, 2012 (02:30 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Quote originally posted by lJdudel:
Hey guys,
I hack on a Mac, so I use crossover to hack my Pokemanz. Well, I can only use A-Map and PKSV for scripting. When I try to open A-Mart, A-Text, A-Starter, or any other hacking utilities, they simply wont open up. No errors or anything, just nothing. What should I do about this, since it severely hinders my hacking abilities.
I don't use a Mac, however remember that some programs are shortcuts rather than necessities.

A-Mart: Marts can be written using scripting.
A-Text: The beginning text can be changed easily through hex editing, of which there are several tutorials for on this site.
A-Starter: Scripting again to edit which Pokémon you can pick, with some A-Trainer (or hex editing if that doesn't work) to change the rival's battle teams.

There is always a way around using tools - it might not be as quick but it'll give the same result and ultimately you'll be more hands on with your hack!
Old June 18th, 2012 (03:01 AM).
lJdudel
Beginning Trainer

Thank you!
I also have another question. How would I script it so that when you choose a Pokemon, the "Pokemon" option is available in the start menu. Without it, the game freezes when I pick the pokeball. My script doesn't work.

Spoiler:

#org 0x874029F
'-----------------------------------
lock
checkflag 0x200
if true jump 0x87402D9 ' Flag is set
setflag FR_POKEMON
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x6
if == jump 0x87402DB ' Equal To
setflag FR_POKEMON
setflag 0x291
addpokemon LARVITAR 5 NONE 0x0 0x0 0x0
setflag 0x200
storepokemon 0x0 LARVITAR
message 0x874030F ' You got a \v\h02!
release
end

#org 0x87402D9
release
end

#org 0x87402DB
msgbox 0x87402E5 ' You don't have enoug...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
release
' Release commands close any open messages
end

#org 0x874030F
= You got a \v\h02!

#org 0x87402E5
= You don't have enough room in your party.
Old June 18th, 2012 (03:12 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Quote originally posted by lJdudel:
Thank you!
I also have another question. How would I script it so that when you choose a Pokemon, the "Pokemon" option is available in the start menu. Without it, the game freezes when I pick the pokeball. My script doesn't work.

Spoiler:
#org 0x874029F
lock
checkflag 0x200
if true jump 0x87402D9 ' Flag is set
setflag FR_POKEMON
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x6
if == jump 0x87402DB ' Equal To
setflag FR_POKEMON
setflag 0x291
addpokemon LARVITAR 5 NONE 0x0 0x0 0x0
setflag 0x200
storepokemon 0x0 LARVITAR
message 0x874030F ' You got a \v\h02!
release
end

#org 0x87402D9
release
end

#org 0x87402DB
msgbox 0x87402E5 ' You don't have enoug...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
release
' Release commands close any open messages
end

#org 0x874030F
= You got a \v\h02!

#org 0x87402E5
= You don't have enough room in your party.
"setflag 0x828" will activate the Pokémon menu for you, although I'm sure the lack-off doesn't normally cause freezing.

Remember if you have further problems you can ask in the Script Help Thread (a few below this one).
Old June 18th, 2012 (12:37 PM).
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
I've been trying to get bridges into a Fire Red rom and through following a few guides I've inserted some bridge tiles from emerald and edited the block behavior data along with using '3C' as the movement permission. For some reason though the character still walks over the bridge when it should walk under, everything else works as it should though.
Old June 18th, 2012 (01:34 PM).
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
I've been trying to create stairs using Advance Map for awhile now, but they don't seem to work. I made sure that the warp was set to the right location and I've put it on the same block used by other stair-warps, but it just doesn't work. Do I need to set a certain movement permission for stairs?
Old June 18th, 2012 (02:18 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by Robert Conley:
I've been trying to get bridges into a Fire Red rom and through following a few guides I've inserted some bridge tiles from emerald and edited the block behavior data along with using '3C' as the movement permission. For some reason though the character still walks over the bridge when it should walk under, everything else works as it should though.
The bridge tiles need to have a background byte of 00, so that they cover the hero when they walk normally under it, and not $20, block is covered by hero. The bridge itself needs to be covered in 3C movement permissions, of course. The upper part of the bridge, on both sides of the bridge, needs to have movement permissions of 10. Example in the spoiler.

Spoiler:

Quote originally posted by thanethane98:
I've been trying to create stairs using Advance Map for awhile now, but they don't seem to work. I made sure that the warp was set to the right location and I've put it on the same block used by other stair-warps, but it just doesn't work. Do I need to set a certain movement permission for stairs?
What exactly is going wrong? Freezing, black screen, refusing to warp?

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old June 18th, 2012 (02:52 PM).
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
What exactly is going wrong? Freezing, black screen, refusing to warp?
It's refusing to warp. I've tried searching for a way to solve it, and I've tried quite a few different things to resolve the issue, but nothing's worked. The warp isn't working. Also, I've set up warps for things such as doors without any issues. I'm only having a problem with stairs.
Old June 18th, 2012 (04:02 PM).
Darkrai Lv.1000

Thanks guys, getting XSE now.

I've started opening some tools I already downloaded, but there's this one that refuses to open: CyclonePrototype. I get an error everytime. I've tried every solution I've searched for, but none of them work. Is there a way someone can reupload it with the right files it needs to run (the one I downloaded had just the program), or tell me if there's another program that does everything Cyclone does?
Old June 18th, 2012 (04:43 PM).
SpadeEdge16

Hey guys, when I open Overworld Editor it says "Error loading INI settings for this game" when I load my FR Rom. Why is it doing this and is there any way to fix it?
Old June 18th, 2012 (05:01 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by thanethane98:
It's refusing to warp. I've tried searching for a way to solve it, and I've tried quite a few different things to resolve the issue, but nothing's worked. The warp isn't working. Also, I've set up warps for things such as doors without any issues. I'm only having a problem with stairs.
There are some special tile behaviours that facilitate you going up and down stairs. When you hover your mouse over a tile in an untouched FR map in Advance Map you can see that specific tile's number. In a map with stairs you should be able to notice that the tile number changes when you compare the tile at the foot of the stairs to the rest of the similar looking tiles in the map. For example,on the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion - Instead of being tile 0x282, the tile next to the stairs is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C when you view it in the tileset editor. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, either make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte or use one already in the tileset and place it next to the stairs.

Thanks guys, getting XSE now.

I've started opening some tools I already downloaded, but there's this one that refuses to open: CyclonePrototype. I get an error everytime. I've tried every solution I've searched for, but none of them work. Is there a way someone can reupload it with the right files it needs to run (the one I downloaded had just the program), or tell me if there's another program that does everything Cyclone does?
Nameless Tile Map Editor does the same thing as Cyclone and is more up to date so you should use that.

Quote originally posted by SpadeEdge16:
Hey guys, when I open Overworld Editor it says "Error loading INI settings for this game" when I load my FR Rom. Why is it doing this and is there any way to fix it?
In a lot of the tools you download there should be a small configuration file that provides data which is necessary for the ROM to work - It tells the ROM where to start looking for/ loading information. If you've deleted or moved this file from its original location then that would explain your problem. You may have also changed your ROM header, but if that was the case then the majority of tools would not work.
Old June 18th, 2012 (05:21 PM).
SpadeEdge16

Yeah, I don't think the header is the problem, all my other programs work. But there aren't any files with my the editor, so I guess I'll download another one. Thanks.
Old June 18th, 2012 (05:36 PM).
Darkrai Lv.1000

Found it, thanks bro.
Soon I shall start on my new project, unless I have another question. xD
Old June 18th, 2012 (07:17 PM).
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
There are some special tile behaviours that facilitate you going up and down stairs. When you hover your mouse over a tile in an untouched FR map in Advance Map you can see that specific tile's number. In a map with stairs you should be able to notice that the tile number changes when you compare the tile at the foot of the stairs to the rest of the similar looking tiles in the map. For example,on the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion - Instead of being tile 0x282, the tile next to the stairs is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C when you view it in the tileset editor. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, either make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte or use one already in the tileset and place it next to the stairs.
Thanks! I managed to get it working with that information. I thought that I had the correct tile set up for it, but apparently I didn't!
Old June 18th, 2012 (11:25 PM).
Jake 53
noob hacker

This may be a dumb question, but this really is the only thing bothering me. Everthing else I can work with. Is it possible to start completely from scratch using advance map?
Old June 19th, 2012 (12:06 AM).
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote originally posted by Jake 53:
This may be a dumb question, but this really is the only thing bothering me. Everthing else I can work with. Is it possible to start completely from scratch using advance map?
Why start everything over again when you can replace the maps and inset new ones?
Old June 19th, 2012 (01:25 AM).
KF
Beginning Trainer

Which offset is Bill's level script in Cinnabar Island?
Old June 19th, 2012 (03:28 AM).
Ferox
Beginning Trainer

Is there a limit to how much you can change or add to a pokemon rom? I mean, is there a limit for how many new maps I can insert or how many trainers there can be?
Old June 19th, 2012 (03:53 AM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Ferox:
Is there a limit to how much you can change or add to a pokemon rom? I mean, is there a limit for how many new maps I can insert or how many trainers there can be?
You can have a maximum of 0x100 map banks (0x0 - 0xFF inclusive) with 0x100 maps in each (0x0 - 0xFF inclusive), giving you a maximum limit of 65,536 maps in the game.

Quote originally posted by KF:
Which offset is Bill's level script in Cinnabar Island?
0x166F88

Sponsored Links