Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2012 (07:21 PM).
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
Hello, something is really bothering me.

In Hackmew's "StartMapCA" tool, is it possible to change the Y Coordinate? I'm using a FireRed ROM. Also, is it possible to enter 2 digits into the start position coordinates?

Thanks.
It's really meant for beginner hacks that don't change the starting room but just want the player a few spaces over...I wouldn't suggest using it really.

The best thing you can do is just move the map to fit where you want to start. Like grosser block the whole thing and paste the map a few spots down for the y and over for the x. Method credited to Redriders.
Old June 24th, 2012 (07:57 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by itman:
It's really meant for beginner hacks that don't change the starting room but just want the player a few spaces over...I wouldn't suggest using it really.

The best thing you can do is just move the map to fit where you want to start. Like grosser block the whole thing and paste the map a few spots down for the y and over for the x. Method credited to Redriders.
Hmm. I thought of doing that earlier. Ok then, thanks.
Old June 25th, 2012 (12:28 AM).
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Silver Tier

Nature: Serious
Using PET my ROM crashes when I try to battle YOUNGSTER TOMMY in the RUSTBORO GYM in a RUBY HACK I'm making...

The problem: After he does his speaking part, the battle screen blacks out and he music is heard but nothing can be seen or done beyond that. How do I fix this.
Old June 25th, 2012 (12:33 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Trainer Timothy:
Using PET my ROM crashes when I try to battle YOUNGSTER TOMMY in the RUSTBORO GYM in a RUBY HACK I'm making...

The problem: After he does his speaking part, the battle screen blacks out and he music is heard but nothing can be seen or done beyond that. How do I fix this.
Use A-Trainer. PET is really buggy.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 25th, 2012 (04:22 AM).
I know who you are.

One thing I really want to is be able to give the player in a hack a random Pokemon.

I know the basic givepokemon script, for example, a level 5 Bulbasaur is

Givepokemon 1 5 0

However, I want to be able to give the Player a random level 35 Pokemon from ALL the Pokemon in a Firered ROM, including evolutions and legendaries. Is there such a script?

Demo coming soon!
Old June 25th, 2012 (04:45 AM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by DaleH771:
One thing I really want to is be able to give the player in a hack a random Pokemon.

I know the basic givepokemon script, for example, a level 5 Bulbasaur is

Givepokemon 1 5 0

However, I want to be able to give the Player a random level 35 Pokemon from ALL the Pokemon in a Firered ROM, including evolutions and legendaries. Is there such a script?
You can make the command utilise a variable which holds a random number and then give you the Pokemon that corresponds to it. It would look like this in XSE:

Code:
random 0x0181
copyvar 0x8004 0x800D
addvar 0x8004 0x1 // This is to shift the variable, otherwise it will have a result of 0 at times
compare 0x8004 0xFB
if 0x2 call @HoennPokemon // Skipping the empty Pokemon slots between Celebi and Treecko
givepokemon 0x8004 0x23 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0

#org @HoennPokemon
addvar 0x8004 0x1A 
return
Old June 25th, 2012 (05:45 AM).
I know who you are.

Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
You can make the command utilise a variable which holds a random number and then give you the Pokemon that corresponds to it. It would look like this in XSE:

Code:
random 0x0181
copyvar 0x8004 0x800D
addvar 0x8004 0x1 // This is to shift the variable, otherwise it will have a result of 0 at times
compare 0x8004 0xFB
if 0x2 call @HoennPokemon // Skipping the empty Pokemon slots between Celebi and Treecko
givepokemon 0x8004 0x23 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0

#org @HoennPokemon
addvar 0x8004 0x1A 
return
Thank you!

My second question!

I have created a third of a new region for my new hack on a ROM, however as I have done a complete tile revamp I have inserted new tilesets multiple times and I believe this has bugged the ROM, crashing it whenever I goo to a different map IN GAME.

I saved the maps, tilesets, Block palettes and colour palettes into organised folders and transferred them over to a clean Firered ROM. Everything has gone over except when I try and load the blocks for what is currently set as Tileset 2, it instead loads the top blocks from tileset 1 (Nature tileset).

How dfo I do it so it actually loads tileset 2 rather than keep giving me tilesets 1 blocks? As creating the blocks all over again will take hours...

Demo coming soon!
Old June 25th, 2012 (07:43 AM).
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
Is there a list somewhere of ALL of the specials that can be use in XSE for Fire Red? Also a tutorial that covers movement scripting in XSE? I've looked in a few of the scripting tutorials and noene seem to cover these.
Old June 25th, 2012 (07:54 AM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by DaleH771:
Thank you!

My second question!

I have created a third of a new region for my new hack on a ROM, however as I have done a complete tile revamp I have inserted new tilesets multiple times and I believe this has bugged the ROM, crashing it whenever I goo to a different map IN GAME.

I saved the maps, tilesets, Block palettes and colour palettes into organised folders and transferred them over to a clean Firered ROM. Everything has gone over except when I try and load the blocks for what is currently set as Tileset 2, it instead loads the top blocks from tileset 1 (Nature tileset).

How dfo I do it so it actually loads tileset 2 rather than keep giving me tilesets 1 blocks? As creating the blocks all over again will take hours...
I believe that importing and exporting blocks from Tileset 2 accidentally imports and exports Tileset 1s blocks in A-map. It's probably a bug or something. The only thing you can do is make them by hand, or copy paste in a hex editor, but I don't know where that kind of data is stored, or even HOW it's stored. If you make the tiles as you go, it isn't so bad, at least.

Quote originally posted by Robert Conley:
Is there a list somewhere of ALL of the specials that can be use in XSE for Fire Red? Also a tutorial that covers movement scripting in XSE? I've looked in a few of the scripting tutorials and noene seem to cover these.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=184273 for Specials, and http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276 for Movements.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old June 25th, 2012 (07:55 AM).
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
This document covers almost all of the known specials in FireRed, and the "applymovement" section of this tutorial covers scripting movements.

edit: i dun got ninjad

@ Dale, for loading .bvd files, use AMap 1.92. 1.95 just glitches it up.
Old June 25th, 2012 (08:01 AM). Edited June 25th, 2012 by Robert Conley.
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
Thanks to both of you!

One more thing, how do you change the language in Amap and have it stay changed? For some reason the language it opens in isn't english, even though that's what I set it to. I try using the settings menu but every time I close and reopen it it changes back. I'm not sure what language it is but palette is called alabastia.
Old June 25th, 2012 (09:49 AM).
Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
Hey, does anybody know where the script for the TV is at the beginning of the game in Ruby, where your mom brings you over to it and goes through a few messages? I've been trying to find the script for it on Advance Map, but I can't seem to. :/
Old June 25th, 2012 (10:06 AM).
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by thanethane98:
Hey, does anybody know where the script for the TV is at the beginning of the game in Ruby, where your mom brings you over to it and goes through a few messages? I've been trying to find the script for it on Advance Map, but I can't seem to. :/
Download a table file and a hex editor.
Search for the text that is displayed during that script and a pointer to that text which leads you to the script command of "msgbox @text" in which that @text displays the text that is shown during the script. The rest of that script is located before and after the msgbox code.

This sounds probably quite difficult but it's much more simple than you realize. There are bound to be some text editing tutorials here so check one out and see how it's done.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 25th, 2012 (12:26 PM).

I know I am reposting this but switching to a different scripter was not helping me...

Hello, not sure if anyone read past the thank you on my last post so I'm just gonna explain my new problem here haha...

When I leave a map via a warp or etc, and then return to said map the items all 'respawn' if you will. How do I stop this? Is it one of the unknowns on A M or a scripting problem?

Here is the exact script generated by pokescript...

#org 0x874015A
'-----------------------------------
copyvarifnotzero 0x8000 TM03
copyvarifnotzero 0x8001 0x1
callstd MSG_FIND ' PLAYER found one XXXXXX!
end
Old June 25th, 2012 (01:15 PM). Edited June 25th, 2012 by redriders180.

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by JBawls:
I know I am reposting this but switching to a different scripter was not helping me...

Hello, not sure if anyone read past the thank you on my last post so I'm just gonna explain my new problem here haha...

When I leave a map via a warp or etc, and then return to said map the items all 'respawn' if you will. How do I stop this? Is it one of the unknowns on A M or a scripting problem?

Here is the exact script generated by pokescript...

#org 0x874015A
'-----------------------------------
copyvarifnotzero 0x8000 TM03
copyvarifnotzero 0x8001 0x1
callstd MSG_FIND ' PLAYER found one XXXXXX!
end
I believe you switched to XSE, so the above script won't accomplish anything. In XSE, you just need to use this script:

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
giveitem ITEM_TM03 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
end

and give the Item Ball OW a unique person ID.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old June 25th, 2012 (02:00 PM). Edited June 25th, 2012 by JBawls.

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
I believe you switched to XSE, so the above script won't accomplish anything. In XSE, you just need to use this script:

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
giveitem ITEM_TM03 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
end

and give the Item Ball OW a unique person ID.
I was going to but xse is kind of a pain in the butt so I would prefer to stick with pokescript if possible.

And just for the record when I put in what you said to put in on XSE I get a mismatch error...

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
#giveitem ITEM_TM03 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
#end Thats what I put and this is the exact error...

"Error 13: Unknown keyword 'giveitem'
Old June 25th, 2012 (02:06 PM).

I was going to but xse is kind of a pain in the butt so I would prefer to stick with pokescript if possible.

And just for the record when I put in what you said to put in on XSE I get a mismatch error...

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
#giveitem ITEM_TM03 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
#end Thats what I put and this is the exact error...

"Error 13: Unknown keyword 'giveitem'
Why do you put the # in front of each command? If you want to stick with Pokescript, then you'll get alot less help. And if XSE is saying giveitem isn't a command, then you must have an extremely old version of XSE...

Old June 25th, 2012 (02:08 PM). Edited June 25th, 2012 by JBawls.

Why do you put the # in front of each command? If you want to stick with Pokescript, then you'll get alot less help. And if XSE is saying giveitem isn't a command, then you must have an extremely old version of XSE...
Can someone provide a more up to date link then because I got this one from the last guy...

I just got the most up to date 1.1.1 and still same errors dude... if I remove the # it tellls me to define it and when I add the # it says giveitem is invalid
Old June 25th, 2012 (02:16 PM).

Can someone provide a more up to date link then because I got this one from the last guy...
Check what version you have first. If it's v1.1.1, then you're up-to-date. If it isn't, then you can get v1.1.1 here. I heard that HackMew's thread has outdated links, so this is my own personal copy. But all credit to HackMew, of course. I didn't have time to copy the std.rbh file, so you'll have to go manual until you get one, so no ITEM_ULTRABALL or PKMN_PLUSLE shortcuts, I'm afraid.

My script works, so it's a problem on your end. Try replacing ITEM_TM03 with it's hex equivalent, and replacing MSG_OBTAIN with 0x0.

Old June 25th, 2012 (02:18 PM). Edited June 25th, 2012 by JBawls.

Check what version you have first. If it's v1.1.1, then you're up-to-date. If it isn't, then you can get v1.1.1 here. I heard that HackMew's thread has outdated links, so this is my own personal copy. But all credit to HackMew, of course. I didn't have time to copy the std.rbh file, so you'll have to go manual until you get one, so no ITEM_ULTRABALL or PKMN_PLUSLE shortcuts, I'm afraid.
I do have 1.1.1 by hackmew and im stilll getting the same exact errors when I try this your way...

No offense to you RedRiders but can I get someone else to assist me on this problem?
Old June 25th, 2012 (02:21 PM).

I do have 1.1.1 by hackmew and im stilll getting the same exact errors when I try this your way...

No offense to you RedRiders but can I get someone else to assist me on this problem?
Call me Lucbui...

I've been hacking for two years, so I know what I'm talking about. You probably don't have an std file, so it's not my fault you're getting errors. Try what I said above, and don't put #s on the giveitem or end commands.

Old June 25th, 2012 (02:21 PM).

Like its nothing past give item the script does not read past the giveitem issue... so changing ITEM_TM03 or MSG_OBTAIN is pointless
Old June 25th, 2012 (02:24 PM).

Like its nothing past give item the script does not read past the giveitem issue... so changing ITEM_TM03 or MSG_OBTAIN is pointless
Did you even try changing it? It's giving a #define error because ITEM_TM03 isn't defined. It's looking for a hex value, and ITEM_TM03 isn't a hex value. I can guarantee anyone else here would say the exact same thing. Just change the values to their hex equivalent, and you'll be fine. And give the item OW a unique Person ID.

Old June 25th, 2012 (02:25 PM). Edited June 25th, 2012 by JBawls.

Call me Lucbui...

I've been hacking for two years, so I know what I'm talking about. You probably don't have an std file, so it's not my fault you're getting errors. Try what I said above, and don't put #s on the giveitem or end commands.
I have these files within the xse folder...
std.rbh
stdattacks.rbh
stditems.rbh
stdpoke.rbh

Did you even try changing it? It's giving a #define error because ITEM_TM03 isn't defined. It's looking for a hex value, and ITEM_TM03 isn't a hex value. I can guarantee anyone else here would say the exact same thing. Just change the values to their hex equivalent, and you'll be fine. And give the item OW a unique Person ID.
Is there a way to simply figure out the hex value through xse because I havent been able to figure it out and I script for a living >.<.
Old June 25th, 2012 (02:30 PM).

I have these files within the xse folder...
std.rbh
stdattacks.rbh
stditems.rbh
stdpoke.rbh

Is there a way to simply figure out the hex value through xse because I havent been able to figure it out and I script for a living >.<.
try inserting the line #include stditems.rbh at the very beginning of the script.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links