The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 3rd, 2012 (08:19 PM).
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
oh, i see, so it is possible...
let me see if i understand it now: in order to get the tiles into the game properly, i would have to recolor them to colors that exist in one of FireRed's palettes?

also, nice video! i hope to be doing something like that in the project i'm starting soon.
Old July 3rd, 2012 (08:36 PM).
Daikoru
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
The way compressed images work is, instead of mapping each byte out one by one, it maps out how long one of each color is. For example, if you had a single line of red pixels, uncompressed, the data would read "red, red, red, red, red, red...", while compressed would read "red sixteen times".

But that's beside the point. To save the picture somewhere else, you need to repoint it, basically, put it in free space and tell the game to look there instead of the original sprite. Both the Classic version and the 2.X version do repointing, although the error message usually reads something like "X bytes is too long. Would you like to repoint to $YYYYYY?" Which version are you using?
I'm using version 2.X. I just tried saving without the option "Auto-abort if data is too big", thinking it would ask me to repoint. However, it didn't ask anything, and afterwards, I've had problems: the Palette somehow broke (I saved sprite as Bitmap before, in case something would happen). I just struggle to unglitch it, and I'm not sure how I managed to do it.

I'm not sure what exactly I've done wrong. Any idea?
Old July 3rd, 2012 (08:58 PM).
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
This is getting ridiculous.

AdvanceMap 1.95, almost all of the time when I make a map, it asks if I want to save. I click yes, and try to go to a different map, but it asks if I want to save again, over and over. Closing out of the program bugs the map, not letting me see it. Any help?
Just use 1.92, since 1.95 is currently a beta. Make sure to report that to LU-HO though so he can fix that, that used to happen to me sometimes.
Old July 3rd, 2012 (09:32 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikoru View Post
I'm using version 2.X. I just tried saving without the option "Auto-abort if data is too big", thinking it would ask me to repoint. However, it didn't ask anything, and afterwards, I've had problems: the Palette somehow broke (I saved sprite as Bitmap before, in case something would happen). I just struggle to unglitch it, and I'm not sure how I managed to do it.

I'm not sure what exactly I've done wrong. Any idea?
By turning off auto-abort, it'll just write the image wherever it started...even if it was bigger than the original. That means the data immediately after the game was overwritten, messing up things. By your post, I assume it messed up the palette, and possibly some more images. At this point, you'll need to boot up a backup, since you've already done damage. Also, check under "Options" and see if the last two options are checked.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old July 3rd, 2012 (09:43 PM).
Nara567
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by itman View Post
Just use 1.92, since 1.95 is currently a beta. Make sure to report that to LU-HO though so he can fix that, that used to happen to me sometimes.
Made the switch, no errors so far. Thanks.

Two more questions.
The starting town I'm setting is Four Island. What storyline issues does this come up with? Just so I know what to watch out for. I attempted to remove Gary and that script, but it crashed my ROM last time, so I'm hesitant to do it again.
Is there a way to create a script that will activate after a certain amount of steps? Something like the Safari Zone.
Old July 3rd, 2012 (10:07 PM).
MSeiz5
Beginning Trainer

How can i change the pokemons of a trainer battle?

Note: Pokemon Ruby
Old July 3rd, 2012 (10:51 PM).
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Quote:

Two more questions.
The starting town I'm setting is Four Island. What storyline issues does this come up with? Just so I know what to watch out for. I attempted to remove Gary and that script, but it crashed my ROM last time, so I'm hesitant to do it again.
Is there a way to create a script that will activate after a certain amount of steps? Something like the Safari Zone.
Hmm...I would suggest just removing all the scripts on the map. Just click the even and press delete event on the right hand column that comes up when you click an event. To delete level scripts (if there are any on four island), you need to go to headerview and press "remove map scripts" until they're all gone.

As for the steps thing...yes it's possible. It can be done by putting a script tile on every space. The first tile sets a variable. Then every tile after that adds a number to the variable until the number you want is hit. Then, when it's hit, the script will do something else and deactivate the rest. The better way, however, would be to make an ASM routine that counts steps...I'm not sure how the safari zone works though, sorry. My method works, although its definitely not ideal or the best way to do it.
Old July 3rd, 2012 (10:54 PM).
Darkrai Lv.1000

Quote:

Two more questions.
i believe something like that can be done using the FR Hacked Engine.
Old July 3rd, 2012 (11:23 PM).
KhaosKnight
The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:

Two more questions.
I think the commands to start a Safari Game in FireRed and Ruby are "special 0xCD" and "special 0xCE" and for Emerald they are "special 0xD0" and "special 0xD1". One is for the Safari Balls and the other is for the steps I think. You can play around with those specials to make something work.

Old July 4th, 2012 (12:44 AM).
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

How do I change the sprites for the people you see just before the Pokémon come out in battles? All I know is how to change overworld sprites.
Old July 4th, 2012 (12:51 AM).
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Da_Boss View Post
How do I change the sprites for the people you see just before the Pokémon come out in battles? All I know is how to change overworld sprites.
You can edit those in UNLZ they're usually after the pokemon sprites...

They're the same as the pokemon sprites they have to be in 64x64 and indexed
you can edit those at paint or view them in either UNLZ or NSE 2.X...

If you want to learn how to insert sprites try going to the tutorials section... :D
Old July 4th, 2012 (06:23 AM).
boslerk2
Beginning Trainer

Hi there! For a while now, I have been searching for a GSC evolution editor. I finally found one from Poke Hack Masterz called EVOEDIT (on website, link says Evolution Editor).

I am having problems running the program, as I get compatibility errors when it attempts to execute. My OS is a 64-bit Windows 7 and I have tried running the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service packs 2 and 3), Vista, and even 98/ME modes to no avail.

For anyone on here who uses this program, how can I make it work? Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2012 (09:18 AM).
Daikoru
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
By turning off auto-abort, it'll just write the image wherever it started...even if it was bigger than the original. That means the data immediately after the game was overwritten, messing up things. By your post, I assume it messed up the palette, and possibly some more images. At this point, you'll need to boot up a backup, since you've already done damage. Also, check under "Options" and see if the last two options are checked.
I see. That's what I thought, but none of the other Trainer Sprites were damaged (I reckon they're all next to each other in the data). Also, at one point, it wasn't the palette but the picture that broke (only on the bottom). I don't know if I somehow I got it fixed because I managed to relocate it.

Also, yes, the two last options are checked. I've let every option on default.
Old July 4th, 2012 (02:34 PM).
Nara567
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Careful
Thanks for the answers. But I still have more questions. :cer_confused:

-Regarding JPAN's patch, is there a way to patch it without removing all of the scripts?
-Regarding the FR 649 patch, when finished, would it have to be patched to a clean ROM?

-More mapping stuff; I've created several maps and set the border block to the black tile, but when I see it ingame, it's a different tile. How would I fix this?
Old July 4th, 2012 (05:17 PM).
JBawls
Beginning Trainer

Can someone assist me with inserting a pokemon battle onto a custom map. By battle i do mean like when you find mewtwo, moltres, etc etc. I have it working up to where running away or beating it or losing all make the pokemon go away but if I catch it I can battle it again. Anybody got a quick fix?
Old July 4th, 2012 (06:31 PM).
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
Hey everyone, looks like I'm back with yet another question! While going through and test my rom, I noticed that whenever I step into tall grass the animation for it uses the old tall grass. Is there a way that I can edit this? If so, how?
Old July 4th, 2012 (07:34 PM).
Scorpiopt

Is it possible to edit and make new types of Pokemon ?

i was thinking of bring back ??? type arceus to Pokemon black and giving it a proper name

Old July 4th, 2012 (11:13 PM).
aablmd82
Beginning Trainer

I need some help with mapping. I changed up Veridian City a bit and everything was fine. I made it so that the connection to Route 2 was more to the right, but it was working out fine, as were the other two connections. However, when I entered the city from either the north or south entrances, some of the map tiles would mess up and change to a different tile.

(I can't link in pictures yet, but I'll attach it, so refer to that picture.

That's the northern entrance. For the southern entrance I just redrew the map tiles, and it fixed the problem. The same thing worked for the northern entrance as well, but map tiles that I drew from the secondary map tile set (tile set 7) still glitch out. Then for some reason one of the sprites gets moved to where that one is. I got rid of all the map scripts, then just added some person sprites, and it only moves the sprite over when I have 9 or more sprites.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png‎ (97.4 KB, 14 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 5th, 2012 (01:38 AM).
Darkrai Lv.1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBawls View Post
Can someone assist me with inserting a pokemon battle onto a custom map. By battle i do mean like when you find mewtwo, moltres, etc etc. I have it working up to where running away or beating it or losing all make the pokemon go away but if I catch it I can battle it again. Anybody got a quick fix?
do you have a checkflag/setflag command anywhere in your script? i believe you can put one at the end to prevent it from reappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post

i was thinking of bring back ??? type arceus to Pokemon black and giving it a proper name
this question was answered for me a page back, i think.
iirc, you can't add completely new types without some form of ASM, unless you want to overwrite another existing type.
but i believe the ???-type still exists in BW (at least through the move Curse), so maybe there's an editor tool that will let you "bring out" the type for using.
Old July 5th, 2012 (04:32 AM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. But I still have more questions. :cer_confused:

-Regarding JPAN's patch, is there a way to patch it without removing all of the scripts?
-Regarding the FR 649 patch, when finished, would it have to be patched to a clean ROM?

-More mapping stuff; I've created several maps and set the border block to the black tile, but when I see it ingame, it's a different tile. How would I fix this?
JPANs patch also includes a special tool that adds the ASM into a ROM hack that's already been extensively modified. The FR 649 Patch will probably have to be patched to a clean ROM, unless they make a similar tool. Most black tiles, especially in the outdoor tileset, aren't actually black, but transparent. You need to make a palette have a completely black color that isn't in the first slot to make black border blocks. Indoor Palette 5 is what Indoor maps use to make black border blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanethane98 View Post
Hey everyone, looks like I'm back with yet another question! While going through and test my rom, I noticed that whenever I step into tall grass the animation for it uses the old tall grass. Is there a way that I can edit this? If so, how?
Open up NSE Classic, go to Tools>Bookmarks, and one of the bookmarks contains all in-game grass animations. NSE Classic also has Ruby's, while NSE 2.X doesn't, so if you're hacking Firered, NSE 2.X can be used instead. The frames are somewhat out of whack, and mixed with others, so just use your intuition on which order the go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post

The ??? Type no longer exists, as of BW. It isn't even programmed anywhere. Curse is now a Ghost-type move. To add the ??? Type to your game, you'll need extensive ASM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aablmd82 View Post
I need some help with mapping. I changed up Veridian City a bit and everything was fine. I made it so that the connection to Route 2 was more to the right, but it was working out fine, as were the other two connections. However, when I entered the city from either the north or south entrances, some of the map tiles would mess up and change to a different tile.

(I can't link in pictures yet, but I'll attach it, so refer to that picture.

That's the northern entrance. For the southern entrance I just redrew the map tiles, and it fixed the problem. The same thing worked for the northern entrance as well, but map tiles that I drew from the secondary map tile set (tile set 7) still glitch out. Then for some reason one of the sprites gets moved to where that one is. I got rid of all the map scripts, then just added some person sprites, and it only moves the sprite over when I have 9 or more sprites.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?
Only two tilesets can appear on the screen at a given time. The only way to remedy this problem is to use gatehouses, and remove connections between then, or places tiles that appear only in Tileset 2 either six spaces away from the top or bottom of a map, or eight spaces away from the left or right of a map (This is because the GBA's screen is wider than it is tall). If you absolutely have to have those tiles there, give both maps the same tileset 2, and transfer tiles from the original tileset 2.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old July 5th, 2012 (05:01 AM).
Ark_Silvanos

i was going through the threads when i saw Jambo's 649 patch where he added the new abilities and i thought it would be fun to figure out how they worked so i could make my own.

Thing is, i want to know how abilities actually work in game. Like if u had a pokemon with lightning rod, do all electric moves make a check to see if a pokemon has the ability then target that pokemon? also i'm assuming that some, if not all, abilities call routines that are compiled in the ROM as well, where are these routines located and when are they called in battle? also, how are the abilities that are used outside of battle (like illuminate) work?

Old July 5th, 2012 (07:28 AM). Edited July 5th, 2012 by LugiaMZ.
LugiaMZ

Quote:
I don't know about the Champion Vs. screen, but the elite four vs screens are controlled under the "header" tab. Changing the "Fight Type" to one of the four Elite Four settings will make the battle have a Vs Screen, I believe. But I think it only works in certain circumstances, i.e the battler you're currently battling with is an Elite Four member, with an Elite Four sprite, and possibly only one of the original "Elite Four" trainer numbers. I have some ASM in my game, however, that lets you call the Vs Screen animation at will in any trainer battle, although I don't have the ASM on hand, and I can't find the tutorial either...I think it was either erased, or put somewhere else, or I just missed it in my pass through of the tutorial section.
You said you have ASM in your game, then can you find the ASM code from your game? You say you can call the Vs Screen animation at will in any trainer battle mean all trainer have a own VS Screen ( Example like before battle with Brock have a big Brock face at VS Screen animation )? Or can call E4/Champion VS Screen to any trainer?

PS: Can you give me your hacked rom? if you have uploaded. I wan to try it . I guess it will nice to play.

I have many question hope have someone can reply me.

1) Have any webpage have Pokemon anime song/music at midi format?

2) I seen a tutorial( link:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=170502) It insert 80x80 pixel DP sprite to rom. I tried before but when I test at game it looks like a crashed things. But the tutorial dosen't. How do I insert 80x80 pixel Pokemon/Trainer sprite correctly?

3) After I beat the a trainer, then I make a script to rebattle with him. But I try in game I talk to him it nothing happen. How to make a same trainer battle can battle many time(Like E4)?

4) When I use PokecryGUI to import cry at Fire Red Rom, I use F3,F4,F5(The Raikou,Entei,Suicune Poke ID) to import a wave sound, then I test in game It no problem. After that I try to battle with Venesaur, Charizard, Blatoise, Pigeot. They cry sound is same the cry I imported early. How do I fix it?

5) I use Advance map, I create a person in my game, when I test in game goto near the person,

Then I open my bag,

After that I close my bag,

I became the npc that I created, but pallet is same with the npc, why? When I after battle also have a same problem. I don't want to be the npc, How do I fix this problem?

PS: Sorry for my bad english .
Attached Images
File Type: png c1.png‎ (3.3 KB, 99 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png c2.png‎ (3.4 KB, 99 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png c3.png‎ (3.3 KB, 98 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 5th, 2012 (07:49 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Is the NPC's movement set to Face Down? If so, change it to No Movement.
Old July 5th, 2012 (09:39 AM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
The FR 649 Patch will probably have to be patched to a clean ROM, unless they make a similar tool.
They? THEY!? You are right though, the 649 patch will need to be installed on a clean ROM. It's far too interlinked to be able to split it up now.
Old July 5th, 2012 (10:39 AM).
aablmd82
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Only two tilesets can appear on the screen at a given time. The only way to remedy this problem is to use gatehouses, and remove connections between then, or places tiles that appear only in Tileset 2 either six spaces away from the top or bottom of a map, or eight spaces away from the left or right of a map (This is because the GBA's screen is wider than it is tall). If you absolutely have to have those tiles there, give both maps the same tileset 2, and transfer tiles from the original tileset 2.
Alright cool, thanks. I switched over the tileset and that worked out great, but the sprite still moves. It moves the 7th sprite on the map, and I can't figure out how to stop it.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links