Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old July 7th, 2012 (10:37 AM).

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
1.0.9?!?!? That's super out of date o-o. Versions 1.92 and 1.95 are out right now, you should try and download some.
I didnt work. Only caterpie lvl 5 and weedle lvl 8 show up out of alot of pokemon
Old July 7th, 2012 (10:45 AM).

Quick question, how come when I move certain sprites to different location in a city, they still stay in their original spots? For example, the woman in Cerulean that has the Slowpoke/Slowbro in from of the mart, I moved them and then when I tested the map, she was still in the same spot.
Old July 7th, 2012 (11:54 AM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by SpadeEdge16:
Quick question, how come when I move certain sprites to different location in a city, they still stay in their original spots? For example, the woman in Cerulean that has the Slowpoke/Slowbro in from of the mart, I moved them and then when I tested the map, she was still in the same spot.
Level scripts check a flag, and if that flag is active/deactive, it uses movesprite2 to change the location of a NPC, such as the Slowpoke/Slowbro girl, among others.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old July 7th, 2012 (12:53 PM).

I'm currently playing Pokemon Black on DesMuMe 0.9.8x86 and...I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this question in, but it kinda relates to hacking I suppose...anyways, I can't get my friend code :/ I've gone in and tried to manually set up WFC settings in the main menu of the game, each time it says that there is no access point nearby. I've looked throughout my house :/ I even looked up tutorials on YouTube and couldn't find anything of much help :/ is there some way to fix it? Is there some sort of hack out there I can learn to use?
Old July 7th, 2012 (02:32 PM).

Okay, so I tried hacking about two years ago, but I ran into the problem that unLZ wouldn't work. No matter what I did, it wouldn't change the ROM. Now I that I'm trying again, I thought I would stand a chance with NSE 2.0. It did alter the title screen text, but when I tried to change the rival in the intro for Fire Red, it said the data was too big so I got a new offset and it said everything was fine. But when I go in the emulator nothing is different.

I'm fed up with this. Why can't unLZ or NSE alter the Oak intro with the PC and the rival? Should I just give up hacking again?
Old July 7th, 2012 (04:03 PM).
巨大なトロール。
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Yoshi-kun:
Okay, so I tried hacking about two years ago, but I ran into the problem that unLZ wouldn't work. No matter what I did, it wouldn't change the ROM. Now I that I'm trying again, I thought I would stand a chance with NSE 2.0. It did alter the title screen text, but when I tried to change the rival in the intro for Fire Red, it said the data was too big so I got a new offset and it said everything was fine. But when I go in the emulator nothing is different.

I'm fed up with this. Why can't unLZ or NSE alter the Oak intro with the PC and the rival? Should I just give up hacking again?
You need to adjust the pointers as well. Simply adding a new picture to the ROM will do nothing. Read the tutorials more carefully, they should explain this.
Old July 7th, 2012 (04:19 PM). Edited July 7th, 2012 by redriders180.

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180

As long as you make sure that, when you Write to Rom, "Automatically Fix Pointers" is checked. If it always is, you'll have to do it manually with a hex editor. Convert the pointer of the original image and the new image into little-endian (0x123456 -> 56 34 12 08), and use the hex editors find and replace tool.

If you're truly dedicated to your ROM hack, then never give up. The road to hacking is rough, and you shouldn't quit if there's a little roadbump. There's a solution to every problem, and overcoming them makes the experience that much richer.

Edit: Ninja'd again...

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old July 7th, 2012 (04:29 PM). Edited July 7th, 2012 by Yoshi-kun.

Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
You need to adjust the pointers as well. Simply adding a new picture to the ROM will do nothing. Read the tutorials more carefully, they should explain this.
Adjust the pointers? In NSE it already has "Automatically Fix Pointers" checked. And if I change it to a new offset it will say "The Bookmarks: Boy, Gary, have been automatically adjusted. To see changes, re-open the Navigate window." Which I did, and the old offset for the rival was scrambled, and the image that I wrote over it was at the new offset.

Or I could be completely misunderstanding it.

EDIT:

As long as you make sure that, when you Write to Rom, "Automatically Fix Pointers" is checked. If it always is, you'll have to do it manually with a hex editor. Convert the pointer of the original image and the new image into little-endian (0x123456 -> 56 34 12 08), and use the hex editors find and replace tool.

If you're truly dedicated to your ROM hack, then never give up. The road to hacking is rough, and you shouldn't quit if there's a little roadbump. There's a solution to every problem, and overcoming them makes the experience that much richer.

Edit: Ninja'd again...
Like I said, yeah it's checked, but thank you mentioning the hex editor. I'll go try that and see if it works.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It just felt wrong to let everything sit there untouched, that's why I picked it back up.
Old July 7th, 2012 (04:51 PM).

Nature: Careful
With hacking FireRed, in theory, I can have four regions, correct? Due to the four region maps. How limiting in freespace is this? IE, would I only be able to have, say, four cities in one region if the others are rather large?
Old July 7th, 2012 (05:21 PM).

Quote originally posted by Nara567:
With hacking FireRed, in theory, I can have four regions, correct? Due to the four region maps. How limiting in freespace is this? IE, would I only be able to have, say, four cities in one region if the others are rather large?
Space for maps and stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem, depending on how big your maps are. Think about it...The entirety of Firered, including all the code that controls things like displaying images, making the player move, and all that, is all contained in less than half the possible space. You could fit an entire copy of the game in the free space, and you'd STILL have a couple thousand bytes to spare. That being said, if you did do that, you'd be able to have doubles of the 18 cities of Kanto/Sevii islands...basically, you'd have 36 cities. Since roughly half the coded area is ASM-related stuff, you'd have enough space for maybe 50 cities, if you budget your space correctly. You'd also be hard-pressed for scripting space, if you ended up doing 50 cities, although you can always expand to 32 MBs, giving you ample space for both more cities and more scripts.

However, you'll need to do some work. Firered only has 109 possible place names...and while that seems like alot at face value, that's really only enough for two regions and a baby region (Believe me, I know...I'm completely out of names, and I've got two regions and a baby region). You'll need to expand the possible names, which is documented somewhere around here (I believe in the Research and Development thread).

PS...To whoever asked about the Vs. screen that can be called in any battle, I recommend checking the first two or three pages of the Research and Development thread. The info you want is there

Sorry I had to make that so big...I just needed to get his attention.

Old July 7th, 2012 (06:04 PM).

Alright, another question. I'm hacking emerald and i've been progressing through the hack as the game itself progresses. I'm at the point where you finally get "fly". I moved the location of a few of the maps, and so the locations are completely different, so the maps, of course, changed; in this case, i've basically moved Ever Grande City and Route 128 up north a ways. I have two issues:

1) Despite having used the Advance Map 1.92 program to move the data for the location, the Pokedex will still say pokemon caught at Route 128/Victory Road are at its original location.

2) Using the Advance Map 1.92 program to move the data for the location, the graphic to show that a location has yet to be visited on the fly map has not moved (basically, there's a black graphic hanging out down south and not on top of the new location).

How would I go about fixing these issues?
Old July 7th, 2012 (06:12 PM).

So I've tried the hex editor (Hex Workshop), and I took the rival image offset from unLZ of 0046244C, and I searched for 084C2446 and 084C244600 (this is still new to me). I found 084C2446, but when I tried to replace it with 08BCB671 (offset 71B6BC) and I got the specified search string was not found. I tried searching for 08BCB671 and 08BCB67100 neither were found. Then I tried searching a new offset from FSF that I haven't used, and it wasn't found either. It seems any new offset found by NSE or FSF isn't found by the editor. Now what?
Old July 7th, 2012 (06:22 PM). Edited July 7th, 2012 by redriders180.

Hi everyone, I've got an ASM-related question I hope someone can help me with. Does anyone have any info on a routine that might be used for displaying text? I want to make a small cutscene with ASM, but I need a textbox to appear at the end, and say some text.

Secondly, does anyone know of a routine that loads the tiles of the current map into the VRAM? After running the cutscene, the tiles stay permanently in the VRAM, and I need the tiles to revert back to normal, so the player can continue playing.

Thirdly, does anyone know how to run scripts from an ASM routine? We have callasm to run ASM from a script, but I can't fathom how to start up the script engine and run a script.

I hope someone can answer these...I feel like ASM definately doesn't fall under the classification of a "Simple" question, but I'd rather post here than muck up the Quick R&D thread.

So I've tried the hex editor (Hex Workshop), and I took the rival image offset from unLZ of 0046244C, and I searched for 084C2446 and 084C244600 (this is still new to me). I found 084C2446, but when I tried to replace it with 08BCB671 (offset 71B6BC) and I got the specified search string was not found. I tried searching for 08BCB671 and 08BCB67100 neither were found. Then I tried searching a new offset from FSF that I haven't used, and it wasn't found either. It seems any new offset found by NSE or FSF isn't found by the editor. Now what?
Of course the second search wouldn't pull up anything, because nothing in the game points to that location. You need to put 08 BC B6 71 in the same spots that 08 4C 24 46 show up. That will yield the results you want.

Old July 7th, 2012 (06:23 PM).

Space for maps and stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem, depending on how big your maps are. Think about it...The entirety of Firered, including all the code that controls things like displaying images, making the player move, and all that, is all contained in less than half the possible space. You could fit an entire copy of the game in the free space, and you'd STILL have a couple thousand bytes to spare. That being said, if you did do that, you'd be able to have doubles of the 18 cities of Kanto/Sevii islands...basically, you'd have 36 cities. Since roughly half the coded area is ASM-related stuff, you'd have enough space for maybe 50 cities, if you budget your space correctly. You'd also be hard-pressed for scripting space, if you ended up doing 50 cities, although you can always expand to 32 MBs, giving you ample space for both more cities and more scripts.

However, you'll need to do some work. Firered only has 109 possible place names...and while that seems like alot at face value, that's really only enough for two regions and a baby region (Believe me, I know...I'm completely out of names, and I've got two regions and a baby region). You'll need to expand the possible names, which is documented somewhere around here (I believe in the Research and Development thread).
Would this be a sufficient "tutorial" on adding new map names? I'm planning on adding at least Hoenn into it.

I also wasn't aware of how much free space was in the game, so that's helpful, thanks. Though, is there a "risk" on expanding the ROM?
Old July 7th, 2012 (06:57 PM).

Of course the second search wouldn't pull up anything, because nothing in the game points to that location. You need to put 08 BC B6 71 in the same spots that 08 4C 24 46 show up. That will yield the results you want.
Do you mean just type the new offset on top of the same spot as the old one? Because when I do that the game will crash. Sorry, I've never hex edited before.
Old July 7th, 2012 (07:01 PM).

What are the beginning of hacking? Is there a certain thread I should be in? And can I hack DesMuMe 0.9.8x86 itself? Like, earlier I asked about WiFi stuff. I guess 9.8 can't connect? Is there a way to hack that?
Old July 7th, 2012 (07:07 PM).

Would this be a sufficient "tutorial" on adding new map names? I'm planning on adding at least Hoenn into it.

I also wasn't aware of how much free space was in the game, so that's helpful, thanks. Though, is there a "risk" on expanding the ROM?
That tutorial seems fine...EXCEPT for the fact it isn't finished The section on repointing and limiting bytes hasn't been done yet, so you won't be able to actually use the names.

I've heard from the people here that there is no danger at all to expanding a ROM. If anyone had a bad experience with it, I hope they share it with us, otherwise, it's fine. But only expand as a last resort!

Old July 7th, 2012 (07:14 PM).

That tutorial seems fine...EXCEPT for the fact it isn't finished The section on repointing and limiting bytes hasn't been done yet, so you won't be able to actually use the names.

I've heard from the people here that there is no danger at all to expanding a ROM. If anyone had a bad experience with it, I hope they share it with us, otherwise, it's fine. But only expand as a last resort!
Oh, haha, I didn't notice that. So there's currently no way to increase the number of names? Oh well.

How would one go about with expanding, by the way?
Old July 7th, 2012 (07:17 PM). Edited July 7th, 2012 by redriders180.

Do you mean just type the new offset on top of the same spot as the old one? Because when I do that the game will crash. Sorry, I've never hex edited before.
If your game crashes when you replace a single pointer to an image, then you've either done something wrong, or your ROM is bad. "Repointing" is when you find all the pointers to one image and replace them, by typing over them, thereby telling the game to load a new image, instead of one of the original images. EVERY ROM hacker has to do this at one point or another.

In any case, the offsets of all the intro images are as follows:
460F14 - Girl
46163C - Boy
461D14 - Oak
4623EC - Gary
And none of these match the offset you gave previously, which means you repointed the wrong image. Try one of these and see if anything happens.

Quote originally posted by spider095:
What are the beginning of hacking? Is there a certain thread I should be in? And can I hack DesMuMe 0.9.8x86 itself? Like, earlier I asked about WiFi stuff. I guess 9.8 can't connect? Is there a way to hack that?
If you want to know about ROM Hacking, you're in the right section of Pokecommunity. It's here that we ask about hacking ROMs themselves, but there's sections for tutorials, tools, and research.

In regards to your earlier question, it's my understanding that emulators cannot emulate Wi-Fi connections, because they aren't on a real system. If you absolutely need to connect to Wi-Fi, try purchasing an Acekard or R4 Flash Card. It'll let you load ROMs onto a Micro SD Card, and play them on a DS. They're roughly 25 dollars. I won't link to one here, but googling should help.

Oh, haha, I didn't notice that. So there's currently no way to increase the number of names? Oh well.

How would one go about with expanding, by the way?
I recommend reading the post linked to in that tutorial. It details how to either add more names to the end of the name list, preserving RS Names, or replace and use the RS names. Your choice!

To expand, open up XSE, load up your ROM, and hit Ctrl+R. Then hit that nice big "Expand" Button, and you're all set

Old July 7th, 2012 (08:27 PM).

If your game crashes when you replace a single pointer to an image, then you've either done something wrong, or your ROM is bad. "Repointing" is when you find all the pointers to one image and replace them, by typing over them, thereby telling the game to load a new image, instead of one of the original images. EVERY ROM hacker has to do this at one point or another.

In any case, the offsets of all the intro images are as follows:
460F14 - Girl
46163C - Boy
461D14 - Oak
4623EC - Gary
And none of these match the offset you gave previously, which means you repointed the wrong image. Try one of these and see if anything happens.
Well I tried to see if the rom is bad, and when I used my earlier copy that I hadn't scripted, it didn't work.

But when I tried a clean rom, it worked.

The thing is only thing I had done to earlier copy, was edit the dialog with A-text. A-text messed up my rom, bwuh? I guess I'll stick to XSE.

Thank you so much.
Old July 7th, 2012 (10:49 PM).
巨大なトロール。
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Hi everyone, I've got an ASM-related question I hope someone can help me with. Does anyone have any info on a routine that might be used for displaying text? I want to make a small cutscene with ASM, but I need a textbox to appear at the end, and say some text.

Secondly, does anyone know of a routine that loads the tiles of the current map into the VRAM? After running the cutscene, the tiles stay permanently in the VRAM, and I need the tiles to revert back to normal, so the player can continue playing.

Thirdly, does anyone know how to run scripts from an ASM routine? We have callasm to run ASM from a script, but I can't fathom how to start up the script engine and run a script.

I hope someone can answer these...I feel like ASM definately doesn't fall under the classification of a "Simple" question, but I'd rather post here than muck up the Quick R&D thread.
For FireRed? If so, I can almost definitely help!
Old July 7th, 2012 (11:18 PM).

Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
For FireRed? If so, I can almost definitely help!
Thank you for your help I'll be sending you a PM, if you don't mind, so we can discuss without cluttering up the thread.

Much obliged!

Old July 8th, 2012 (01:02 AM).

Hopefully this is a quick question, but I can't find the answer.

I think I'm almost ready to show my progressing hack, only I don't know how to turn my hacked ROM into a Patch. Are their any guides or tools hidden somewhere?
Old July 8th, 2012 (01:06 AM).
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote originally posted by Ferox:
Hopefully this is a quick question, but I can't find the answer.

I think I'm almost ready to show my progressing hack, only I don't know how to turn my hacked ROM into a Patch. Are their any guides or tools hidden somewhere?
Download LUNAR IPS, search by using google and once you download it just open it and click create IPS patch then select your ROM and that's it! :D

Hope this help! :D
Old July 8th, 2012 (01:44 AM). Edited July 8th, 2012 by LugiaMZ.

I having a question...

1) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

2) I played a hacked rom called "Pokemon Mirage" it Rom base is Ruby I think. At the game started, after the intro, it appeared many full screen sprite to say its story ( In the game, its Arcues and the fakemon at the sprite ), can I make it too? At FR rom also can do it?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)