Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2012 (11:57 PM). Edited August 13th, 2012 by Banjora Marxvile.
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by redriders180:
I don't believe A-Map 1.92 has support for adding more tiles, but A-Map 1.95 does. Simply open up the block editor, and go Blocks>Change Amount. Then, enter any number of blocks. Max is 384 for Firered, though...I think Ruby offers support for more in the secondary, but it has less in the primary tileset (In Ruby, town tilesets have the same max amount of blocks as the main one, while in Firered, the main one has more, but the town tilesets have less).
Incorrect, Advance Map 1.92 has that exact same option. Ruby allows a max of 512 blocks in the Secondary to Firereds 384

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 13th, 2012 (01:03 AM).

Nature: Bold
I have a problem. In advance Map I have a route with a entrance to a cave. I put a warp on the cave entrance leading to the inside of the cave but it wont let me walk into the cave. I dont get how to fix it
Old August 13th, 2012 (01:48 AM). Edited August 13th, 2012 by mrjimi16.

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
I can give you somewhat of an impromptu list, although it's not necessarily complete.

For traditional "On entering map"-type level scripts, your best bet is to use flag setting, unsetting, and checking commands, as well as their respective variable counterparts. Additonally, setworldmapflag for Firered works fine, as well as movesprite2, spriteface, and spritebehave should work fine as well.

For "setmaptile"-type level scripts, you can use the flag commands, variable commands, setmaptile, and special 0x8E. I'm not too sure what else can be used, since I only use this type for setmaptile. I believe it differs from the above because it's executed sooner after entering a map.

For type [02] level scripts, you can use pretty much any command you want that works for, say, a signpost or an OW. These differ from the above two because they execute once warping has finished, and they're also toggled on and off by variables.

For type [04] level scripts, you can pretty much only use spriteface and end. I've also found a few specials will work as well, such as the turn-hero-into-surfing OW, as well as the turn-hero-into-biking OW. These differ because they're executed before warping finishes, meaning they execute before the screen fades from black to normal.
So, can you see any reason other than implementation why this set of scripts won't work:
Spoiler:
#org 0x80106C
special 0xCE
msgbox 0x8800F7E MSG_NORMAL
setvar 0x5000 0x0
setvar 0x5001 0x1
warp 0x4 0x3 0x1 0x0 0x0
compare 0x5000 0x7
if 0x1 goto 0x880106C
end

#org 0x801065
special2 0x5000 0xB4
end

Quote originally posted by EHero70:
I have a problem. In advance Map I have a route with a entrance to a cave. I put a warp on the cave entrance leading to the inside of the cave but it wont let me walk into the cave. I dont get how to fix it
Are you sure that the tile that you are using is set up to be used as a warp (if you haven't inserted tiles, this is not why)? To make sure, click the puzzle piece button or tools>block editor or Ctrl+B. Find the tile you are trying to use for the cave entrance, click it and check its behavior byte. If the behavior byte doesn't say something like 'Use warp,' that would be why it doesn't work. Just look around for that and it should work, providing that is the trouble.

If that isn't your problem, I don't know what the trouble is.
Old August 13th, 2012 (03:02 AM).
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
ok so i've looked in about 10 pages and i wanted to ask some questions.
1. how do you change the textbox in firered?
2. how do you make the player look at the person thats gonna challenge you in firered?
3. how do you change the colors in the intro for firered?
I couldnt find any tutorials on these on the tutorials section)

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old August 13th, 2012 (05:05 AM).

Quote originally posted by mrjimi16:
So, can you see any reason other than implementation why this set of scripts won't work:
Spoiler:
#org 0x80106C
special 0xCE
msgbox 0x8800F7E MSG_NORMAL
setvar 0x5000 0x0
setvar 0x5001 0x1
warp 0x4 0x3 0x1 0x0 0x0
compare 0x5000 0x7
if 0x1 goto 0x880106C
end

#org 0x801065
special2 0x5000 0xB4
end

Are you sure that the tile that you are using is set up to be used as a warp (if you haven't inserted tiles, this is not why)? To make sure, click the puzzle piece button or tools>block editor or Ctrl+B. Find the tile you are trying to use for the cave entrance, click it and check its behavior byte. If the behavior byte doesn't say something like 'Use warp,' that would be why it doesn't work. Just look around for that and it should work, providing that is the trouble.

If that isn't your problem, I don't know what the trouble is.
Regarding the first script the problem is scripts end after a warp, so it doesn't do anything after a warp, you'd need to use 2 level scripts.
Old August 13th, 2012 (07:51 AM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I noticed a level script on Route 131 of Pokemon Ruby (you know, the one with Sky Pillar). The level script was:

Spoiler:

#org @start
checkflag 0x???
if 0x1 goto @done
setmapfooter 0x140
end

XSE said it was basically setmaptile except that it replaces the whole map with a map footer. What are the offsets for map footers (if there is any others) and how could I edit them?
Old August 13th, 2012 (08:24 AM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by The_Show:
I noticed a level script on Route 131 of Pokemon Ruby (you know, the one with Sky Pillar). The level script was:

Spoiler:

#org @start
checkflag 0x???
if 0x1 goto @done
setmapfooter 0x140
end

XSE said it was basically setmaptile except that it replaces the whole map with a map footer. What are the offsets for map footers (if there is any others) and how could I edit them?
There's a trick somewhere around here about how to find them, although I've noticed that A-Map 1.95 can display these incredibly easily. Open your ROM in A-Map, and instead of going to "From Header", go to "Connection List". Every single map in the game will appear, and at the end of each, you'll see" (CL:X), with X being that value from setmapfooter. Simply convert the setmapfooter from hex to decimal (320 in your case), and scroll down the list to CL:320 (It should say "Unknown Map"). You can then edit it like any other map.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old August 13th, 2012 (12:42 PM).

Quote originally posted by Korvydaehunt:
Regarding the first script the problem is scripts end after a warp, so it doesn't do anything after a warp, you'd need to use 2 level scripts.
That is weird...that bit after the warp shouldn't be there, didn't really check. In implementation, that variable is the one that starts the script, must have been left over from something. You see, special 0xB4 puts the value of 7 in a selected variable if the last wild Pokemon battle resulted in a caught Pokemon. The first script should only activate after you catch a Pokemon.

And one more question: My world map that I am trying to insert is in the wrong palette and I am unsure how to get it to be in the correct palette. Theoretically, it should be using the same one that the original used, but it looks like . And I can't find the correct palette in unLZ and find myself way outside of my experience trying to figure this out.
Old August 13th, 2012 (01:32 PM).
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

And one more question: My world map that I am trying to insert is in the wrong palette and I am unsure how to get it to be in the correct palette. Theoretically, it should be using the same one that the original used, but it looks like . And I can't find the correct palette in unLZ and find myself way outside of my experience trying to figure this out.
The main palette is at 3EF2DE, and the other ones follow it.

My question: Is there a way to make a game begin with a script (instead of the hero just appearing on a map)?
Old August 13th, 2012 (02:41 PM).

Quote originally posted by shinyabsol1:
My question: Is there a way to make a game begin with a script (instead of the hero just appearing on a map)?
It depends on what exactly you want the script to do. For example, there is already a script to make the player face up in his room. That is just a simple level script. Of course, you are limited in what you can do with it; what do you want to do with it? Also, how do I change the palette that my world map is using?
Old August 13th, 2012 (03:33 PM).
the 1337 lemonmeister

how do i change the starting location in pokemon emerald? I want to move it out of the van into a house.
Old August 13th, 2012 (03:49 PM).

Quote originally posted by lemonzap:
how do i change the starting location in pokemon emerald? I want to move it out of the van into a house.
You could just change the van map to wherever you want the first map to be. The player would probably still start in the same coordinates of the map, but that is easier than doing some more in depth hacking. You would also want to get rid of or replace the level scripts there.
Old August 13th, 2012 (05:54 PM).

1. how do you change the textbox in firered?
2. how do you make the player look at the person thats gonna challenge you in firered?
3. how do you change the colors in the intro for firered?

Old August 13th, 2012 (06:00 PM).
ModeratorCSGT

1. NSE Classic has a bookmark that holds the images for the textboxes which you can edit.
2. I believe there is a discussion on that in the Research and Development subforum.
3. Palette editing; there are many tutorials on it in the Tutorials subforum. Use the Search Function and use key words like "palette" and "edit".
Old August 13th, 2012 (06:36 PM).

oh ok but how do you edit the text in the beginning where it says gamefreak? in firered.

Old August 13th, 2012 (06:40 PM).
ModeratorCSGT

Again, there are tutorials for that :3
Old August 13th, 2012 (07:11 PM).
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

It depends on what exactly you want the script to do. For example, there is already a script to make the player face up in his room. That is just a simple level script. Of course, you are limited in what you can do with it; what do you want to do with it? Also, how do I change the palette that my world map is using?
Well, I was thinking about a "cut scene" sort of thing. So if I put a level script on the hero start map, will it activate as soon as the game starts?
Old August 13th, 2012 (07:25 PM).

Can someone tell me how, or where there's a tutorial, to/on inserting new hero sprites into the opening of the game where you choose your name and all that? I don't mean OWs, and I don't mean regular trainer sprites, I need to know how to change the 256 colors one that's in the intro, and preferably using nse. Thank you.
Old August 13th, 2012 (07:31 PM).

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
no not the bootscreen. the one where it says gamefreak with the stars.

Old August 13th, 2012 (09:22 PM). Edited August 13th, 2012 by mrjimi16.

Quote originally posted by shinyabsol1:
Well, I was thinking about a "cut scene" sort of thing. So if I put a level script on the hero start map, will it activate as soon as the game starts?
Hmm. I am unsure of whether or not that would work. To be sure, I don't see a reason why you couldn't, but unforeseen troubles have a habit of sneaking up on you. I am by no means an expert in level scripts. I know that the third type of level script is the kind that is used to make the player face up before being shown on the screen. The second type is probably the one you want to use and is triggered by a variable that has a specific value. I am going to assume that your cut scene is separated from the main timeline of the game as apposed to one that gives the player control directly after it is over (meaning without moving to a different map - for example, my sister had an idea of using some sort of past event as the reason the hero goes on his adventure and that event would have to be presented as a flashback). If it is not something like that, you could just use a regular script.

Still, if you are set on doing a level script, it is kind of hard for me to determine without knowing exactly what you want to do, almost down to the commands you want to use. The commands you can use depends on which type of level script you use which determines when the script will be started. If it were me, I would just create my script, verify that it works as a regular script, and then try the different types of level scripts. If I can't get it to work, I then try to find a way that I can get it to work. For example, in my flashback script, if I couldn't get it to work, I might try expanding the player room map and use a move camera script to use a different sprite as the hero until I was done. There is a lot of stuff that you can do with scripting. Your creativity with the commands you have is the best tool you have. I would be willing to help you out further with this if you need some help.

There was a guy earlier trying to figure a way to take away a person's Pokemon that I gave some direction to and I'll post this in that post as well, but I found a special that "checks for a pokemon species in the party. pokemon number wanted is stored in 0x8004, returns to given variable 0x1 if there is one," special 0x17c. I am not sure what numbers correspond to which Pokemon, but a few minutes of testing should help with that. To use it, you would set the number of the Pokemon you need to variable 0x8004 (setvar 0x8004 0xXXXX, not sure how many numbers, make sure it is in hex) then follow it up with special2 0xXXXX 0x17C replacing the XXXX with the variable. You would then make the special to remove the Pokemon only continue/activate when that variable has a value of 0x1.
Old August 14th, 2012 (01:03 AM).

Nature: Bold
How can I make it so I can have all 600 something Pokemon in my Ruby hack? Instead of just Gen 3 and below.
Old August 14th, 2012 (02:43 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by EHero70:
How can I make it so I can have all 600 something Pokemon in my Ruby hack? Instead of just Gen 3 and below.
Wait for JPAN/Jambo to complete his patch.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old August 14th, 2012 (02:52 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Ash493:

Wait for JPAN/Jambo to complete his patch.
If I recall, that's only for Firered at the moment. It's Chaos Rush that's doing it for Ruby, and he's started it again so it will take a while.

EDIT: He's refocused to Firered too, so as of this moment, Ruby is an unknown as to whether it will have a patch like this.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 14th, 2012 (09:24 AM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Two questions:

1. What is the Ruby unLZ number for the "HOENN" you see when looking at a pokecenter map? I know 1598 changes the Pokenav "HOENN", but I need a number to change the one on the regular map.

2. If you've played LoG, you know that there are 'signposts' that show you the regular map. I want to duplicate this, but there is no script for the maps you use inside the pokemon center. How would I 'transfer' the pokemon maps inside the center onto certain signposts?
Old August 14th, 2012 (11:37 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Banjora Marxvile:
If I recall, that's only for Firered at the moment. It's Chaos Rush that's doing it for Ruby, and he's started it again so it will take a while.

EDIT: He's refocused to Firered too, so as of this moment, Ruby is an unknown as to whether it will have a patch like this.
I see... well I kinda thought they could try to do it for Ruby as well...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links