Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 19th, 2012 (08:06 AM).
LugiaMZ

Quote originally posted by Banjora Marxvile:
I don't work 100% on Firered, best bet is to look at what VoiceGroup the town track plays and go from there.

Anvil Studio 2012 runs perfectly fine on Windows 7 for me, so I have no idea what the problem is, best bet is to look on their site for a troubleshoot or something.
Thanks for your reply.
Old August 19th, 2012 (09:13 AM).
Smallbirdie
Lurker Extraordinaire!

Nature: Quirky
Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can give me a bit of help with AMap! I'm making a FR/LG hack using AdvanceMap v1.95. I've got the basics down, I can get warps, events, connections... yadda yadda, easy stuff when rules are followed. Where I'm having trouble is that for no apparent reason, things break.

One example, my Pokemon centers are all messed up. In AMap you can double click the warp in the event page of the town, go to the inside PC map, double click the stair warp, go to the upstairs map. Everything clicks perfect in AMap. But open the Rom, walk onto the warp, black screen. Freezes. No idea why, especially since it was working perfectly in the emulator before, no apparent reason for it to suddenly not work.

It's not even the same for all centers, on my Route 2, in the emulator, you can walk inside the center, but can't go upstairs, black screen. Opens fine in AMap. In Citrine City when walking on the "Cloudy" (map with weather set to cloudy) map, you can enter the "Cloudy" Center, walk upstairs to the "Cloudy" room, but when you try to get back to the non-Cloudy Center- BAM blackscreen. Eton city, can't access Cloudy or regular. OTL

I keep backups of my map files, and I've tried to overwrite the inside PC map with the backup but I get the "Frage: Save changes?" box then "Frage: Save connections?" These two boxes pop up continuously until you select No. Then it doesn't save and next thing you know I've got an "Invalid pointer to map footer" error.

A few of my maps have suddenly given me that "Invalid pointer to map footer" error as well, even though they HAD been working just fine. Some I've just replaced with the backup maps, but other keep appearing.

I'd be happy to upload my rom if anyone can possible give me a hand. Or can anyone tell me an alternative to AMap? I really like it but it's just giving me so much trouble I hardly want to open my hack for fear of what's gone wrong now. Any response would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

~Birdie

"My Microsoft is broken!" When you fix computers and hear the sweet old lady say this one to you, be afraid.
Old August 19th, 2012 (09:28 AM). Edited August 19th, 2012 by c3pu.
c3pu
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
NSE is completely and utterly compatible with Emerald...if you're having problems opening it, then your ROM is either messed up, your NSE is messed up, or you're doing something wrong.

If all you want to do is change the color from red to green in the OW, a simple palette change will suffice. Ruby and Emerald use the exact same sprites, just different palettes.

For the Males:
Ruby: 0x310F48
Emerald: 04987F8

For the Females:
Ruby: 0x31B7A8
Emerald: 0x4A3078

Simply use APE or a hex editor, and transfer the colors.

Commands are cross-compatible between all three games, except for one or two commands (like "setworldmapflag and signmsg"). If you're having errors, i suggest redownloading XSE, since it sounds like the command database got deleted.
nse classic is indeed compatible with emerald i was using nse 2.x wich only work with ruby and fire red

how do i change the trainer back sprite always in emerald?
Old August 19th, 2012 (10:44 AM).
Flannery Lue
Soul Sister

Nature: Rash
Okay. The script that I was given is not compatible, because there are quite a few strange errors. When I click the A button to talk to Flannery, my bag pops up. After I press B, and exit my bag, she does say the things that I wanted her to, but when the battle starts, its a Hiker, and in the text box it says:

PMANTRAINER ÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎ Ê BN
Would like to battle!

The next creepy bug is that he sends out an "unknown" pokemon. This weird black and white circle with a question mark in the middle.

You know what, I'll record my screen and post it.

Capture_20120819.avi

Watch that video. It can explain ALOT better than I ever could. I would really appriciate it if someone could please tell me what I am doing wrong, because I am totaly lost. ='(
Old August 19th, 2012 (11:42 AM).
EHero70

Nature: Bold
Ok I am gonna post this one more time. In my hack, in this cave I made there is theese ladders that apparently arn't wanting to work! There is no level script and the ladders have a unknown value of is set to 4. This also happens when I try to exit out of my cave. Anyway what happens is that when I try to go up by walking on the ladder I just go through the ladder. nothing happens at all. The warps go to another warp but they arn't working! Please can someone help!
Old August 19th, 2012 (11:45 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Whenever I use the "20 - Block is Covered by hero" or whatever it is. The tile messes up with random tile pieces? Any help with this, it's kinda of an essential behaviour byte.

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 19th, 2012 (12:27 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by c3pu:
nse classic is indeed compatible with emerald i was using nse 2.x wich only work with ruby and fire red

how do i change the trainer back sprite always in emerald?
NSE 2.X also works fine with Emerald...if it didn't, why would it have BPEE bookmarks

If you were able to find the back sprite in TileMolestor, or a similar program, then you should know it's offset. You can then use NSE Classic to open it up and edit it at will.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old August 19th, 2012 (12:53 PM).
c3pu
Beginning Trainer

NSE 2.X also works fine with Emerald...if it didn't, why would it have BPEE bookmarks

If you were able to find the back sprite in TileMolestor, or a similar program, then you should know it's offset. You can then use NSE Classic to open it up and edit it at will.
yep your right that was me being thick

going to try that what you said

also is it possible to use d/pe/pl overworld in gba roms or not
Old August 19th, 2012 (03:36 PM).
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
yep your right that was me being thick

going to try that what you said

also is it possible to use d/pe/pl overworld in gba roms or not
It is possible, although there's two things that'll cause a problem:

1. Certain sprites absolutely MUST be 16x32 to have them work properly. I tried expanding the sitting down/surfing sprite to be 32x32, and it makes you face the wrong way when jumping on and off the sprite. I'm not 100% sure, but the other hero and heroine sprites might do the same thing when expanded.

2. Doorways in D/P/Pt are larger, to accommodate the size increase. Doors in Firered have to be 16x16, and doors in Ruby must be 16x32, but neither roms increase in size.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old August 19th, 2012 (03:50 PM).
c3pu
Beginning Trainer

It is possible, although there's two things that'll cause a problem:

1. Certain sprites absolutely MUST be 16x32 to have them work properly. I tried expanding the sitting down/surfing sprite to be 32x32, and it makes you face the wrong way when jumping on and off the sprite. I'm not 100% sure, but the other hero and heroine sprites might do the same thing when expanded.

2. Doorways in D/P/Pt are larger, to accommodate the size increase. Doors in Firered have to be 16x16, and doors in Ruby must be 16x32, but neither roms increase in size.
right now im trying to make them fit in the 16/32 frame wich looks alright but i cant manage to index it every single time the palet gets reset in the final step i know other people using win7 have ad that problem before but i could not find a fix if you have an idea i am all ears
Old August 19th, 2012 (04:50 PM).
redriders180

right now im trying to make them fit in the 16/32 frame wich looks alright but i cant manage to index it every single time the palet gets reset in the final step i know other people using win7 have ad that problem before but i could not find a fix if you have an idea i am all ears
I forgot to mention...those earlier limitations I mentioned are for Firered specifically. Ruby and Emerald use 32x32 surfing sprites and pulling-pokeball-out-of-pocket sprites, but I still don't know about walking or running.

Gimp or Photoshop will preserve indexed graphics, and allow you to edit them easily enough. You can also do some searching, and download the old style of paint, which preserves the index as well.

Old August 19th, 2012 (05:14 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
anybody know where i can find 4th generation icons? (for advanced icon editor)

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old August 19th, 2012 (05:19 PM). Edited August 19th, 2012 by redriders180.
redriders180

Quote originally posted by PokemonMasters:
anybody know where i can find 4th generation icons? (for advanced icon editor)
Spriter's Resource has a big sheet of 'em. They're under the "Heartgold/Soulsilver" section.

Edit: Just occured to me you want pre-made sheets, like the ones made by ChaosRush. If that's the case, I have no idea...I had to use the ones from spriters resource, and manually insert them one by one.

Old August 19th, 2012 (05:40 PM).
c3pu
Beginning Trainer

I forgot to mention...those earlier limitations I mentioned are for Firered specifically. Ruby and Emerald use 32x32 surfing sprites and pulling-pokeball-out-of-pocket sprites, but I still don't know about walking or running.
you mean i could force it to use the more detailled dp sprite instead of shrinking it downto the advance size

Gimp or Photoshop will preserve indexed graphics, and allow you to edit them easily enough. You can also do some searching, and download the old style of paint, which preserves the index as well.
ill try that thanks
Old August 19th, 2012 (07:14 PM).
mrjimi16
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by EHero70:
Ok I am gonna post this one more time. In my hack, in this cave I made there is theese ladders that apparently arn't wanting to work! There is no level script and the ladders have a unknown value of is set to 4. This also happens when I try to exit out of my cave. Anyway what happens is that when I try to go up by walking on the ladder I just go through the ladder. nothing happens at all. The warps go to another warp but they arn't working! Please can someone help!
Why don't you PM me a link to an IPS of your ROM or something and I will take a look at it. My brand of troubleshooting is a bit hard to do over forums like this, but I am genuinely interested in your problem. I'll also need to know which game you are modding, of course.

Quote originally posted by Smallbirdie:
Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can give me a bit of help with AMap! I'm making a FR/LG hack using AdvanceMap v1.95. I've got the basics down, I can get warps, events, connections... yadda yadda, easy stuff when rules are followed. Where I'm having trouble is that for no apparent reason, things break.

One example, my Pokemon centers are all messed up. In AMap you can double click the warp in the event page of the town, go to the inside PC map, double click the stair warp, go to the upstairs map. Everything clicks perfect in AMap. But open the Rom, walk onto the warp, black screen. Freezes. No idea why, especially since it was working perfectly in the emulator before, no apparent reason for it to suddenly not work.

It's not even the same for all centers, on my Route 2, in the emulator, you can walk inside the center, but can't go upstairs, black screen. Opens fine in AMap. In Citrine City when walking on the "Cloudy" (map with weather set to cloudy) map, you can enter the "Cloudy" Center, walk upstairs to the "Cloudy" room, but when you try to get back to the non-Cloudy Center- BAM blackscreen. Eton city, can't access Cloudy or regular. OTL

I keep backups of my map files, and I've tried to overwrite the inside PC map with the backup but I get the "Frage: Save changes?" box then "Frage: Save connections?" These two boxes pop up continuously until you select No. Then it doesn't save and next thing you know I've got an "Invalid pointer to map footer" error.

A few of my maps have suddenly given me that "Invalid pointer to map footer" error as well, even though they HAD been working just fine. Some I've just replaced with the backup maps, but other keep appearing.

I'd be happy to upload my rom if anyone can possible give me a hand. Or can anyone tell me an alternative to AMap? I really like it but it's just giving me so much trouble I hardly want to open my hack for fear of what's gone wrong now. Any response would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

~Birdie
My best bet is that level scripts are an issue. I had the exact same issue with warps going to a blackscreen and the fact that it only seems to happen in certain places only makes me think level scripts more. I don't know what the issue is with the invalid pointer to map footer, it sounds like it is trying to go somewhere that it can't or that doesn't exist, but I wouldn't know how to fix it short of restarting the ROM.

Quote originally posted by Flannery Lue:
Umm.. lol. I think you misread my post. I am trying to make an "EMERALD" hack, and Diego stated that he does not like emerald, ruby, and sapphire ROM's.
I used the commands from his tutorial, and I think that they are for Fire red, and leaf green. I dont think that they are compatible with emerald, so that is were my problems lay. I need commands for Pokemon Emerald version, if you could help me, I would be very grateful.. I'm sorry for being such a noob.
I had thought that pokescript and XSE used two different scripting languages so compiling with one would mean that you would have to use its language or it wouldn't work. May I ask why you are using Emerald as opposed to Ruby or Firered? I find that Firered stuff is easier to find and I have never seen anything that is too terribly in depth about Emerald or Ruby specials and I use specials in about 40% of my scripts. Also, and maybe it is just me, but could I ask you (in the friendliest tone) to put spoiler tags around your code from now on? When someone intends to read the code it isn't all that bad, but when you are looking for some other post, it can be a bit annoying.
Old August 20th, 2012 (02:16 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Quote originally posted by EdensElite:
Whenever I use the "20 - Block is Covered by hero" or whatever it is. The tile messes up with random tile pieces? Any help with this, it's kinda of an essential behaviour byte.
I know we shouldn't post twice, but I just got flat out ignored because of that convo between redriders and c3pu. I really need help with this guys...It also messes up the computer keyboard tile when I click on it 0.o

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 20th, 2012 (08:36 AM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I know we shouldn't post twice, but I just got flat out ignored because of that convo between redriders and c3pu. I really need help with this guys...It also messes up the computer keyboard tile when I click on it 0.o
Can you please provide a screenshot?
Old August 20th, 2012 (08:41 AM).
mrjimi16
Beginning Trainer

Perhaps a little more information, a lot of the time stuff can seem random, but it decidedly isn't. Make sure you are using it as the background byte and not the behavior byte. The behavior byte 0x20 is identified as reflection in Amap, so I wouldn't think you had done that, but reflection would make the tile appear to change, so I suggest it anyway. Beyond that suggestion, I can't help much. As I have said before, I am much better at fixing things if I can be more hands on.

Even with that most likely unhelpful suggestion, I would ask something of you. I noticed on the hack that you link to in your signature that you have a few new/edited trainer sprites. I would request your permission to use them in my own hack. I am looking to 'copy' Light Platinum (I think) and have more than just one rival who meet up in a tournament at the end, and that requires a few different looking trainer sprites and I really like the look of a few of yours. You will be credit however you wish of course and I would offer you my help in any situation in the future, hoping that I will eventually be able to helpful.
Old August 20th, 2012 (09:07 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
Can you please provide a screenshot?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4875391/wtf.png

Old August 20th, 2012 (09:14 AM).
mrjimi16
Beginning Trainer

I am not sure about the 0x20 byte, but I do know that the computer uses a behavior byte that loads a certain special script that changes the tile to make it look like the computer is turning on. It looks as though you inserted your own tiles, so I would imagine that you put the keyboard tile on the tile that used to be the screen.
Old August 20th, 2012 (10:16 AM).
supershadow64ds
Confused GBA Hacker

Nature: Quiet
I have a question about DayNightSeasons. Well, two, actually.
1. How the heck do I use the seasons function?
2. I installed the RTC and DAN system, and I want to know how to display the time (Hours:Minutes) and the Date (Month/Day/Year) in separate messages. I am a horrible noob at XSE, because I was the one guy who grew up with PokeScript .-.
Old August 20th, 2012 (10:36 AM).
c3pu
Beginning Trainer

that totally worked thanks i ad to slice a couple of them in width to make them fit in the 16x32 frame put i play my rom on psp so it almost doesnt show.

today i tried changing npc to d/p but wen i changed the first one i realised that there is several npc linked to the same pallet so my d/p sprite dont match the same way as the advanced one so am i f***ed or is there a way to make it work and if there is am i looking at a weeks process?
Old August 20th, 2012 (10:46 AM).
redriders180

Quote originally posted by supershadow64ds:
I have a question about DayNightSeasons. Well, two, actually.
1. How the heck do I use the seasons function?
2. I installed the RTC and DAN system, and I want to know how to display the time (Hours:Minutes) and the Date (Month/Day/Year) in separate messages. I am a horrible noob at XSE, because I was the one guy who grew up with PokeScript .-.
As for your second question, unfortunately, it takes a little bit of experience. The DNS system writes the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second in specific parts of the memory (from 0x0300553C to 0x03005544, inclusive). The year is two byes, while the others are one byte, and 0x0300552E and 0x03005540 are empty.

What you need to do is use copybyte to copy one of the bytes to the memory address of a variable. Variable 0x8004 is stored at 0x020370C0, and is two bytes. So, for example, to store the month into variable 0x8004:

copybyte 0x020370C0 0x0300553F

You can then use the variable in scripts, for comparing, or use buffernumber to store the variable's value into a buffer, for display.

I would provide a sample script, but my post is getting long enough as-is. Just a few precautions: First, the hour is stored in 24 hour format, so 4PM is stored as 0x10, not 0x4. Secondly, buffernumber just makes the number appear, and while this is usually good, it provides a pitfall when time is involved. If it's 4:05, the time will be rendered as 4:5 with buffers. The best solution is to check if the minute is less than 10, and if it is, [buffer1]:0[buffer2], otherwise, [buffer1]:[buffer2]. Thirdly, there's only three buffers, so you'll have to display the time and date in different text boxes.

Good luck!

Old August 20th, 2012 (11:15 AM).
supershadow64ds
Confused GBA Hacker

Nature: Quiet
As for your second question, unfortunately, it takes a little bit of experience. The DNS system writes the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second in specific parts of the memory (from 0x0300553C to 0x03005544, inclusive). The year is two byes, while the others are one byte, and 0x0300552E and 0x03005540 are empty.

What you need to do is use copybyte to copy one of the bytes to the memory address of a variable. Variable 0x8004 is stored at 0x020370C0, and is two bytes. So, for example, to store the month into variable 0x8004:

copybyte 0x020370C0 0x0300553F

You can then use the variable in scripts, for comparing, or use buffernumber to store the variable's value into a buffer, for display.

I would provide a sample script, but my post is getting long enough as-is. Just a few precautions: First, the hour is stored in 24 hour format, so 4PM is stored as 0x10, not 0x4. Secondly, buffernumber just makes the number appear, and while this is usually good, it provides a pitfall when time is involved. If it's 4:05, the time will be rendered as 4:5 with buffers. The best solution is to check if the minute is less than 10, and if it is, [buffer1]:0[buffer2], otherwise, [buffer1]:[buffer2]. Thirdly, there's only three buffers, so you'll have to display the time and date in different text boxes.

Good luck!
Okay... I think I understand. Eh, just, how would I store more than one buffer/which variable should I use, in addition to x8004? I tried using buffernumber 0x0 0x8004, then buffernumber 0x1 0x8004. Only thing this did was make my screen turn colors.
Old August 20th, 2012 (11:25 AM).
redriders180

Quote originally posted by supershadow64ds:
Okay... I think I understand. Eh, just, how would I store more than one buffer/which variable should I use, in addition to x8004? I tried using buffernumber 0x0 0x8004, then buffernumber 0x1 0x8004. Only thing this did was make my screen turn colors.
You first write, say, the hour, to variable 0x8004, then use buffernumber 0x0 0x8004. Then you write, say, the minute, to variable 0x8004, and use buffernumber 0x1 0x8004. Then put in a msgbox that says [buffer1]:[buffer2], or something similar, and it should work (I say should because I've done this before with no hassle in the exact way I just specified).

that totally worked thanks i ad to slice a couple of them in width to make them fit in the 16x32 frame put i play my rom on psp so it almost doesnt show.

today i tried changing npc to d/p but wen i changed the first one i realised that there is several npc linked to the same pallet so my d/p sprite dont match the same way as the advanced one so am i f***ed or is there a way to make it work and if there is am i looking at a weeks process?
The GBA is limited to sixteen OW palettes at a time. Four are reserved for other functions, and can't be used. Two are for the hero (one normal, one slightly faded). This means you only get four palettes for other NPCs (the remaining four are slightly-faded versions of these four, and used for reflections in water). There's also one variable palette, which can be used as well, although you only get one.

So, basically, you'll have to recolor alot of the OWs you insert.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links