Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2012 (10:02 AM).

Nature: Quiet
Hi people. I have two questions.
1) Is whackahack unsafe? McAfee site advisor doesn't recommend it. Also people on the internet say it is, but I need to download a-text editor...
2) I'm hacking Ruby. Is the Pokenav Match Call hackable, like rematching Gym Leaders and it would be awesome to add new trainers for rematches (Here's lookin' at you Maxie and Archie).
Thanks
Old November 6th, 2012 (08:22 PM).

I have a problem, i'm new here and i do not know if this type of help goes here, anyway..
I'm editing the FireRed title screen..

I found a tutorial but wasn't correct in some parts (palette offsets for example)

By tring over and over my result is that:

''''I can't post images or link''' Just change hxxp and view the image

hxxp://img805.imageshack.us/img805/7316/titler.png

It have palette problems and it's hard to sort out what change, i tried all day to fix it..
Also at the bottom there is a Glitchy line, and i don't know how to fix it..
So i'm asking if you have a link to a complete tutorial, or just help me..

Thank you.
Old November 6th, 2012 (08:50 PM).
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Alaka-Z:
1) Is whackahack unsafe? McAfee site advisor doesn't recommend it. Also people on the internet say it is, but I need to download a-text editor...
2) I'm hacking Ruby. Is the Pokenav Match Call hackable, like rematching Gym Leaders and it would be awesome to add new trainers for rematches (Here's lookin' at you Maxie and Archie).
Thanks
Whackahack is safe, many MANY hackers use that site, including me. I believe it's because of all the attachments and such on that site that makes McAfee spaz. :P

And as for the match call, I believe with ASM it can be accomplished, but that's very advanced hacking. You could, however, do it with scripting and JPAN's hacked engine if you know what you're doing. ;)
Old November 7th, 2012 (12:57 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
McAfee is a crap, it always says that something is unsafe even though it is perfectly safe.
Don't believe everything it says.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old November 7th, 2012 (04:12 AM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Alaka-Z,

I actually wrote a script that sets every trainer flag in the game so that you can rebattle any trainer that still appears on the map. For example, you wouldn't be able to rebattle May/Brenden, however you can fight Wally again at the end of Victory road. The only problem, it resets your Match Call data. However, it still can be a pretty useful script and I'm willing to share it.
Old November 7th, 2012 (09:26 AM).

Cheers KarateKid. I was thinking of putting Maxie and Archie somewhere on the overworld and rebattle them and gym leaders. Does the script work better on PKSV or XSE (I find PKSV easier)?
And thanks. Could you PM me it thx
I could theoretically rematch May/Brendan if I put them somewhere on the map where they don't appear otherwise.
Old November 7th, 2012 (11:27 PM).

How do i change a Pointer to point to a new routine Offset?
Old November 8th, 2012 (03:38 AM).
Pokemon Moon Creator

How do I make the PRESS START flash on the title screen?
Old November 8th, 2012 (10:49 AM).
Watcher

Quote originally posted by wwmb:
Hello! So.... I don't know if it is just that I haven't looked enough or what, but I can't find enough info to get this done: I'm trying to edit the world map in Pokemon Emerald (Later I'll be working on RS too... but that's beside the point.) I've found the three tilsets (245, 328, 330) and tilemaps (246, 390, 331) in unLZ. I've decompressed them all to .raw and .png files (256 for tilesets and 16 for maps.) (for backups, comparison, experimentation etc.)

I also made my own map in GIMP, using the exact same colors as the tileset in the game (taken with VBA); then I used Sphere to remove duplicate tiles in the tileset. I PrtScreen-nd that back into gimp indexing it with the same colors too (.png, both a 0compression and a 9-or-something/max compression version.) Made the .raw tilemap in NTME (8bpp). I noticed in VBA that the world map is square (512x512) and that NTME's Emerald World Map setting isn't, so I made three different sizes (in tiles): a 32x32, a 64x32, and a 64x64 sized map.

Going back to the tileset, I opened up TileMolester-Alt 8bpp linear, imported the bg.pal I got from VBA when looking at the world map, Pasted in my tiles (same dimensions as the tileset I got from #328) and saved it as .raw.

unLZ doesn't want to overwrite the tileset even though the .raw is using the same colors (if I open it back up in TileMoleset-alt it goes to 2bpp planar, and after turning it back its colors are different until I reload the pallet) it's the same size (I even opened it up with a hexeditor and deleted all of the unused tiles at the end... so now my tileset .raw is 2to3 8x8 tiles smaller in filesize).
unLZ won't even compress and put the original tilesets back into the rom, claiming they are too big when compressed too.

So any help would be awesome in finding a way to replace the files. (I don't want to use any free space when I'm not using ANY more data than the game is, AFAIK.)
Can someone point me in the right direction? *Hopes that he has waited long enough to bump his post*

Thank you in advance, to whomever it is that can help me resolve this!
Old November 8th, 2012 (01:22 PM).

Nature: Brave
Okay I have a simple problem with no solution so far.
In A-trainer, I make a "Champion" battle, but the champion has a new name, sprite and opening.

The trainer appears fine and the champion battle theme plays, but the game still says "Champion Gary wants to battle" instead of "Champion *insert trainer here* wants to battle" :/

Um...help?
Old November 8th, 2012 (01:33 PM).
Collecting dust since 1898

What's the simplest way to replace Zigzagoon and Ralts with, for example, Rattata and Mareep in the Wally script in Emerald? I know it requires ASM, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it.
It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
Old November 8th, 2012 (06:07 PM).

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by xoax:
What's the simplest way to replace Zigzagoon and Ralts with, for example, Rattata and Mareep in the Wally script in Emerald? I know it requires ASM, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

Actually, you can do it right in Advance Trainer. Just open up Emerald and search for Wally. Go into his pokemon data, change those Pokemon to what ever you want and save it. Do this for each time he appears. (I just found 6 separate battles, but double check my counting)

Have fun!
Old November 8th, 2012 (07:43 PM).
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Naruto200:
Okay I have a simple problem with no solution so far.
In A-trainer, I make a "Champion" battle, but the champion has a new name, sprite and opening.

The trainer appears fine and the champion battle theme plays, but the game still says "Champion Gary wants to battle" instead of "Champion *insert trainer here* wants to battle" :/

Um...help?
The "CHAMPION" trainer class has some things attached to it so it makes anything with that class, nomatter what name it may have, have its name reverted to the rival's name. So, for instance, if you changed Young Trainer Joey to Champion Joey, when you battle him his name would be "Champion [Insert the name of your rival here]". The easiest way to remedy the situation is to override another trainer class with the name "Champion" (Like, take out an unused class like Aroma Lady in Fire Red/Leaf Green since that class was only used in Ruby/Sapphire) and use that new, overridden one instead of the old, actual Champion class.
Old November 9th, 2012 (01:13 AM). Edited November 9th, 2012 by Truality.
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Actually, you can do it right in Advance Trainer. Just open up Emerald and search for Wally. Go into his pokemon data, change those Pokemon to what ever you want and save it. Do this for each time he appears. (I just found 6 separate battles, but double check my counting)

Have fun!
Uh, I think xoax meant the 'catch the pokemon' script.
Quote originally posted by xoax:
Doesn't necessarily involve ASM, hex editing will do. I only remember the line, though-It's on 0xB0870, dunno which bytes, but you can change the values until you find the one that changes the pokemon.

EDIT: Ralt's dex number is 280, so search for a byte with the number 118.
Old November 9th, 2012 (04:00 AM).

Quote originally posted by Truality:
Uh, I think xoax meant the 'catch the pokemon' script.
Doesn't necessarily involve ASM, hex editing will do. I only remember the line, though-It's on 0xB0870, dunno which bytes, but you can change the values until you find the one that changes the pokemon.

EDIT: Ralt's dex number is 280, so search for a byte with the number 118.
Yes, I would like to apoligize. I forgot that you help Wally catch his first Pokemon. The comand for the battle is special 0xA0. My limited knowledge ends here as I have absolutely no idea how to edit specials.
Old November 9th, 2012 (08:01 AM).

Nature: Brave
[QUOTE=Teh Blazer;7402705]The "CHAMPION" trainer class has some things attached to it so it makes anything with that class, nomatter what name it may have, have its name reverted to the rival's name. So, for instance, if you changed Young Trainer Joey to Champion Joey, when you battle him his name would be "Champion [Insert the name of your rival here]". The easiest way to remedy the situation is to override another trainer class with the name "Champion" (Like, take out an unused class like Aroma Lady in Fire Red/Leaf Green since that class was only used in Ruby/Sapphire) and use that new, overridden one instead of the old, actual Champion class.[/QUOTE

is there a way to make the champion battle theme play in a non-champion battle?
Old November 9th, 2012 (10:21 AM). Edited November 9th, 2012 by Alaka-Z.

I regret getting a ROM. I'm paranoid that it will be tracked, and it's my dad's internet so I'm really worried.
My brother wants to keep them though, but I am really really worried. What will happen? Can someone who uses a shared family PC please give me some advice? Thanks. EDIT:My dad is a doctor, so do they track people like him?
Old November 9th, 2012 (10:36 AM).
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
I regret getting a ROM. I'm paranoid that it will be tracked, and it's my dad's internet so I'm really worried.
My brother wants to keep them though, but I am really really worried. What will happen? Can someone who uses a shared family PC please give me some advice? Thanks. EDIT:My dad is a doctor, so do they track people like him?
Chill! You won't get "tracked". Nintendo doesn't even care that you're using ROMs. They stated it themselves. As long as you don't make any money off of your fan game, they don't care.

Nintendo has better things to do than to track people who download ROMs.
Old November 9th, 2012 (10:55 AM).

Ok thank you. I'm just a REALLY jittery worrying person.
Old November 9th, 2012 (11:57 AM).

Hi this is for Fire Red, when you get certain gym badges it enables the use of certain HM's. Is there a script controlling this? As i am removing FLASH and instead want to enable the use of ROCK SMASH with a gym badge. Thanks.
Old November 9th, 2012 (01:39 PM).

Help! I tried playing my rom hack of FireRed and whenever I leave the starting house the game resets to the title screen! Does anyone know why this happens?
Old November 9th, 2012 (03:57 PM).

Alright. Kinda frustrated here. I am attempting to hack Pokemon Gold. I am using JohtoMap, PKSV, and Translhextion. I am attempting to do things through hex editing, not scripting. Here's my question: Why is it that I can edit pre-placed events text and functions for the most part, but whenever I try to edit in another event of my own, the game just melts down? For example:

Selected: 3
Picture: 1
Face/Type: 3
Movement: 10
Time Type: FF
Time Value: FF
Sight Range: 0
Palette: 0
Type: 0
Script: 65A0
Flag Index: FF
Flag Bit: FF

This is the info that JohtoMap shows for my person that I added to New Bark Town that I want to say "Hi." Next is a my hex editing that I did to make this happen. On the start of offset x1225A0:

51 A4 65 00 87 A8 E8 57 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

That is all that I've edited. That is starting at the beginning of offset x1225A0, and finishes halfway through. All i want him to do is turn to you and say "Hi." And then let the game resume. This is what his script looks like in PKSV:

#org 0x1225A0
'--------------------------------------------
jumptextfaceplayer 0x65A4 ' 0x1225A4

#org 0x1225A4
#raw 0x87
#raw 0xA8
#raw 0xE8
#raw 0x57
= \h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00\h00

It repeats the \h00 part over and over forever. I don't understand. Whenever I try to do anything text related, the infinite \hoo comes up, along with the #raw. I just have no idea what to do. I've tried tutorials, but I guess I'm just inept. Any help please? Thanks in advance.
Old November 9th, 2012 (07:06 PM). Edited November 10th, 2012 by Hyper Chibi Absol.
The Chibiest Absol ever :3

Nature: Naive
Hi everyone. I'm having issues moving a very important event in Pokemon Ruby to route 103. Its the event where you save the business man from the first Team Magma grunt you see in the game. When I moved the event like I did with other events, I stepped on the script tile, he spoke as did the grunt, however, neither of them moved even after the script had ended. I however could move (not during the time they were talking of course)

I'm unsure if I can just erase this event all together because that could cause a chain reaction so it won't trigger the event which takes place in Rustboro City where you have to save him again and then (if I recall correctly) he takes you to the Devon HQ and that's where you have to get the Devons goods to give to Steven. I need to know how to move these events properly because the way I set up my map, you go from Oldale town straight to route 103 to route 110 because I blocked off route 102. I intended Slateport to be the first city with a gym. I'm sure by now you can see my dilemma.

Also, another problem I've been having is with Petalburg forest which I intended to be moved to route 110. I moved the warps like any other warp where they should be, however, when I tested the warps, 1 warp in the entrance sent me to the first warp of the exit inside the forest but when I left the forest through the same warp, I was at the exit, but when I went back in through that warp, I was in the entrance part of the forest, and then back to the entrance from r110.

>____<+

Does Petalburg forest just hate me or something? Or is there just some random Hex code or whatever in it that I don't know about?

Thank you guys.

EDIT: If it matters at all, I'm using AdvanceMap 1.90 I would imagine this is the latest version, am I correct? I got it off Whack a Hack and I dunno if that site updates. :p

Bliss is love
Yin and Yang
Yang and Yin

We are one in the same...

Heart and Soul
Soul and Heart
You and me
Me and you

Let our lives be more than this game...

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Hyper Chibi Absol x TheUmbreonMaster
Old November 10th, 2012 (05:22 AM).

When and where did Nintendo state that they dont care if you hack? My PC is screwing up but no antivirus programs are saying anything...Because if we have to take the PC for repair or tradh it, they'll find the ROMs...I want to delete them but my brother doesnt and we share a user.Arghh
Old November 10th, 2012 (09:54 AM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
When and where did Nintendo state that they dont care if you hack? My PC is screwing up but no antivirus programs are saying anything...Because if we have to take the PC for repair or tradh it, they'll find the ROMs...I want to delete them but my brother doesnt and we share a user.Arghh
Just chill out! Don't worry about it!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links