The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Maximo v.2
my walking sprites and....

Advertise here
Rom freezing problem...

Sooo yeh I'm having to write this on my phone and inbox it to my facebook then copy and paste it to here since a cup of tea happened to fall on my keyboard, so I would really appretiate a straight answer so I can avoid such a long process to reply...

Anyway I've been in the process of hacking a fire red rom for my brother as a christmas present, I've easily enough figured out how to map and change movement permissions also how to set up warps for new house's so I'm not a total noob but after a test run I make it up to the point just after the man teaches you how to catch a pokemon and try yo walk up to the next route but the game freeze's...any explanation why? Would really really appretiate it!...

Thank you...

Arr he likes you
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hyper Chibi Absol
The Chibiest Absol ever :3

Nature: Naive
>.<+ Ok um.. Can I please have some help with my XSE? I'm still trying to fix the problem I have with my "pokeball" item because I was trying to change a PP UP to a Sunstone but now it won't do anything. I'm trying to change the script and offset (I looked up the free space and came up with this script)

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800100

#org @start
giveitem 0x5D 0x1 0x0
end

But for some reason when I go to click debug, it says "Unknown keyword "end" at line 5". I looked up someones tutorial on how to make scripts (though they were for Fire Red/Leaf Green and I'm using Ruby but I didn't think that mattered)

Can someone please help?

Bliss is love
Yin and Yang
Yang and Yin

We are one in the same...

Heart and Soul
Soul and Heart
You and me
Me and you

Let our lives be more than this game...

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Hyper Chibi Absol x TheUmbreonMaster
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Sudeki
Can you feel it?

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Chibi Absol View Post
>.<+ Ok um.. Can I please have some help with my XSE? I'm still trying to fix the problem I have with my "pokeball" item because I was trying to change a PP UP to a Sunstone but now it won't do anything. I'm trying to change the script and offset (I looked up the free space and came up with this script)

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800100

#org @start
giveitem 0x5D 0x1 0x0
end

But for some reason when I go to click debug, it says "Unknown keyword "end" at line 5". I looked up someones tutorial on how to make scripts (though they were for Fire Red/Leaf Green and I'm using Ruby but I didn't think that mattered)

Can someone please help?
I don't see any problem with what you are using, I don't know why it would not know what "end" is. It lets me compile your script just fine without errors. What version of XSE are you using? It sounds like its an issue on your end.

Last edited by Sudeki; November 21st, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph92411 View Post
I've been having trouble with my emerald hack. How do I change the posistion of the Mom when you first go into your house and she shows you the TV.
Your mother's position is set by a levelscript when you enter that map so all you have to do is change it. You can open the level script by going into the header tab of that map in Advance Map, select the appropriate map script (it should have the script type 03 with an offset of 0x1F77A4). Change the command 'movesprite2 0x1 0x4 0x5' to whatever you want, where 0x4 and 0x5 are the X and Y coordinates respectively (eg 'movesprite2 0x1 0x1 0x3' if you want her to be in front of the sink).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo v.2 View Post
Rom freezing problem...

Sooo yeh I'm having to write this on my phone and inbox it to my facebook then copy and paste it to here since a cup of tea happened to fall on my keyboard, so I would really appretiate a straight answer so I can avoid such a long process to reply...

Anyway I've been in the process of hacking a fire red rom for my brother as a christmas present, I've easily enough figured out how to map and change movement permissions also how to set up warps for new house's so I'm not a total noob but after a test run I make it up to the point just after the man teaches you how to catch a pokemon and try yo walk up to the next route but the game freeze's...any explanation why? Would really really appretiate it!...

Thank you...
It sounds like that specific map has been corrupted in some way so it is hard to correct unless there is detailed information. The easiest way that I find to 'fix' a map which has become unplayable yet you don't know what's wrong is to follow these steps:
  • Open it in AdvanceMap
  • Goto 'File > Map > Save Map As' and save it as a .map file
  • Reopen the map from that .map file by going 'File > Map > Open Map'
  • Insert the map by going 'File > Map > Insert Map'
  • Input the map bank and map number that the map originally had under the 'replace map' section - In your case if it is is Route 2 then it would be map bank 3, map number 20
  • Click 'replace' and you should get a message saying it has been replaced successfully

A side effect of this is that is placed into the Pallet Town map folder, but this can be easily corrected:
  • Open the map and go into the header tab
  • Open the dropdown box of town/ route names at the top and select where you want to move it to
  • Refresh Advance Map (F5) and now it should be in its chosen loacation

Hopefully all of this helps. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't too hard - Just be sure to make a back up of your game before trying this out for the first time.

Quote:

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800100

#org @start
giveitem 0x5D 0x1 0x0
end

Can someone please help?
That sounds like a textbook case of using an outdated version of XSE - Anything below v1.1.1 is pretty buggy and has trouble with even basic commands like what you're experiencing. Here's a link to a better version.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Zaerosz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo v.2 View Post
Rom freezing problem...

Thank you...
Only thing I can think of offhand is that if the point where it freezes is where a script tile is supposed to be, make sure the "Var number" in AdvanceMap is set to 4051.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys.
I'm having an issue with XSE version 1.11.
Every time I try and open it, I get "Runtime Error 9 - Subscript out of range."
I have tried replacing it with another copy several times but the same message keeps appearing.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
If I can't get this fixed, my hacking days are over =/

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Azure
» We might aswell be lovers on the sun
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate VonGrimm View Post
Hey guys.
I have tried replacing it with another copy several times but the same message keeps appearing.

That's exactly why I came here, I'm having the same issue whenever I try to open a script. It must be something gone wrong with the programme.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Hey guys.

You should read some previous posts before posting things like this...

All you need to do is go into your XSE folder and open "setting.ini". From there, scroll down until you find the line that says "AdvancedUpdateCheck = 1". Change that number to 0.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
You should read some previous posts before posting things like this...

All you need to do is go into your XSE folder and open "setting.ini". From there, scroll down until you find the line that says "AdvancedUpdateCheck = 1". Change that number to 0.
I tried looking for the answer to this issue but I couldn't find it. I had been looking around the forums for 2 days..
But thanks a million. This worked wonders. =]

Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:58 PM
UlcisGodofChains
Unhatched Egg

I saw that someone more or less asked this question before, but I was wanting to find out whether or not someone had come up with a script for this already:

I was curious whether or not it would be possible to make the player able to choose from 5 starters rather than 3. I think someone said that it could happen, but it would require rewriting the pokemon giving script.

Also: I was curious how one would go about making more slots for attacks, items, abilities, etc on a FireRed hack. Thanks in advance.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlcisGodofChains View Post
I saw that someone more or less asked this question before, but I was wanting to find out whether or not someone had come up with a script for this already:

I was curious whether or not it would be possible to make the player able to choose from 5 starters rather than 3. I think someone said that it could happen, but it would require rewriting the pokemon giving script.

Also: I was curious how one would go about making more slots for attacks, items, abilities, etc on a FireRed hack. Thanks in advance.
If the Pokemon selection doesn't have an animation, then it is very much possible.
All you do is add 2 more pokeballs onto the map, then you just place the give pokemon script into those balls and there you go. You would obviously need to tell the player what Pokemon they make their choice on it. You could use the picture and cry commands to fit with it.
I don't know the script for this myself but you would get an answer from the Script Help Thread.

As for the extra attack slots, That isn't possible with scripts.
I don't think you can do that with ASM hacking. But I don't know a lot about ASM so I'm not 100% sure about it.
Might be worth looking into.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hyper Chibi Absol

Quote:
That sounds like a textbook case of using an outdated version of XSE - Anything below v1.1.1 is pretty buggy and has trouble with even basic commands like what you're experiencing. Here's a link to a better version.
Well thank you for the link but it gave me a RAR file and when I click on it it, it says Windows can't open it. I have to chose a program to open it. :s

Bliss is love
Yin and Yang
Yang and Yin

Heart and Soul
Soul and Heart
You and me
Me and you

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Well thank you for the link but it gave me a RAR file and when I click on it it, it says Windows can't open it. I have to chose a program to open it. :s
You need either Winrar or 7Zip to open .rar files.
WinZip can't open .rar files unfortunately.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Sudeki
Can you feel it?

Quote:
.Rar files are pretty much the superior version of .zip files. You need a program to open them as windows does not support them by default. I suggest getting 7Zip as its a free alternative to something like winrar and works just as well if not better.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hyper Chibi Absol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeki View Post
.Rar files are pretty much the superior version of .zip files. You need a program to open them as windows does not support them by default. I suggest getting 7Zip as its a free alternative to something like winrar and works just as well if not better.
My Fiance showed me we had 7Zip so that problem was fixed but when I open the program I get an error message "Subscript out of range" and the program closes. Bleh... Programs don't like me lol

Bliss is love
Yin and Yang
Yang and Yin

Heart and Soul
Soul and Heart
You and me
Me and you

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Quote:
My Fiance showed me we had 7Zip so that problem was fixed but when I open the program I get an error message "Subscript out of range" and the program closes. Bleh... Programs don't like me lol
You should read some previous posts before posting things like this... (Cuz I literally just answered this question)

Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hyper Chibi Absol

Thanks guys for everything. I just have one little question before I log off for bed. Why does the script not stop when I get the Sunstone? I get one and it says I put it in my bag then it says I get another one right after that and its like looped.

The script looks like this.

Spoiler:
'---------------
#dynamic 0x1B3465

#org @start
giveitem 0x5D 0x1 0x0
end

It has "end" in it. I thought that ended the script. I shouldn't need release because I checked the other scripts that were actually in the game for the water stone and stuff but they were just like what I had only with slightly different offsets and item number of course.

Bliss is love
Yin and Yang
Yang and Yin

Heart and Soul
Soul and Heart
You and me
Me and you

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
Sudeki
Can you feel it?

Quote:
Thanks guys for everything. I just have one little question before I log off for bed. Why does the script not stop when I get the Sunstone? I get one and it says I put it in my bag then it says I get another one right after that and its like looped.

The script looks like this.

Spoiler:
'---------------
#dynamic 0x1B3465

#org @start
giveitem 0x5D 0x1 0x0
end

It has "end" in it. I thought that ended the script. I shouldn't need release because I checked the other scripts that were actually in the game for the water stone and stuff but they were just like what I had only with slightly different offsets and item number of course.
What is with your Dynamic address? You should really stick to using 800000+ unless you know exactly what you are doing. Its going to try to force your script into places it really shouldn't be. Like earlier you said you were using Ruby, and in Ruby that address is full of information already. Which could be messing up your script while also messing up a lot of other things in the game.

Looping can also depend on how you are actually setting it up in advance map.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
UlcisGodofChains
Unhatched Egg

Thanks for the answer. Another question for you guys, then:

Which seems to be the preferred method of Pokemon Fangame making? ROM Hacking or some other form of game creation (i.e. RPG Maker or GameMaker)? By this I mean which do people prefer to play.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlcisGodofChains View Post
Thanks for the answer. Another question for you guys, then:

Which seems to be the preferred method of Pokemon Fangame making? ROM Hacking or some other form of game creation (i.e. RPG Maker or GameMaker)? By this I mean which do people prefer to play.
ROM Hacking will get the most recognition on here.
Not many people like Pokemon Hacks done with RPG Maker.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
UlcisGodofChains
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
That's what I thought, thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
Just like word "hack" says, rom hacks are modifications of existing programs, in this case, pokemon games. Hack can be pretty much made of anything; you can do your own hack of Microsoft Word to make it function in a way it couldn't have before.

Pokemon hacks are modifications of pokemon games to make them function in a way different way they did before; may this be done by redoing the build-in maps or totally re-writing the engine and making pokemon a mario-type platform game (this is something no sane person will ever done).

Felt like saying this, don't take anything in personal

RPG maker is a program that can be used to build games which is different from making hack (new program <--> program modification) . As for how the "most recognition" goes, yes, people tend to play rom hacks more than games made with game making programs. This is pretty much because the build in programs (pokemon games) are already fully functioning; have their own battle system, music, moving and events work, new scripts can be created easily etc.

It's a long process to do the same for a game made from scratch with a tool like RPG Maker. The games made with game making programs often turn out bad (my personal opinion) and that's why rom hacks are preferred to them.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

I have a question. Hope someone can answer.

What are all of the berry ids in Pokemon Ruby in Advanced Map? Also, how do I make a person event with the "Plant-id" value box?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited by Renegade; November 24th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Cory2012
The Great Detective~

Hey there...I wanna ask one question..How to change the prof birch sprite at the first intro??any help will be appreciated...

Even if I were holmes it'd still be impossible to figure it out.The heart of the girl whom one like..How can one accurately deduce that..

Zero is where everything started.Nothing would ever be born if we didn't depart from there...and nothing would ever be archieved..

Old November 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
QuartierGenerale

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've a question: how can i change the rivals name in my hack? I want when i use \h06 in my script the new name appear instead of old.

I do this with thingy, and it works. The problem is i can't change the numer of letters of names...since i'm using Ruby, the female name is only 3 letters long!

thanks a lot
Quote:
\h06? That's wrong it should be \v\h06... Instead of using that you should just input the name that you want. So instead of \v\h06 you can just put Gary in the script so it will look like a new name for the Rival.
I'm hacking Ruby. The name of rival change depending of gender of player...if i play with a boy, the rival name is MAY, otherwise is BRENDAN. Any one have another idea?

After, another important question: i'm using PKSV for scripting. How can i insert special char like * or arrows (arrows are useful in signpost for example)

Thanks a lot
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here