The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:14 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
We already know how to change the overworld palettes into a greyscale or sepia configuration so if you're looking for how to do that then the beginning of this tutorial will be very useful.
I have been searching everywhere for "monochrome", "black and white" and so on, but it never crossed my mind to search for greyscale. Thank you so much Dr. Fuji!

Paired with Simba
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I'm looking to isolate how FireRed makes the "previously on your quest" in black and white. This way, we could use it in other things from making flashbacks to making a whole hack about restoring color. How would I go about trying to do that?

I know that there are several special commands that it uses to make the "previously on your quest", but I haven't been able to find where it is in the rom by searching for them. Any help is welcome, even if it's just a guess.

I've had this problem before once or twice, never quite figured out what caused it, but I ended up just creating a new map bank and transfering those maps into there and it worked fine.
Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Krika
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krika View Post
Right. I know that there is a patch somewhere for Emerald that makes all the Pokemon names (and possibly moves and abilities, I don't remember all that well) all in titlecase (so Pikachu instead of PIKACHU). I cannot find it again.

Does anyone have any idea where it might have hidden itself?
Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?
Just the ones with the problems. There is probobly a better fix, but I don't know it and as long as you aren't tight on space in your rom, it shouldn't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krika View Post
Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.

You do realize that we answer these questions out of our own free will because we want to, right? You also realize that we are not payed to do this, we just like helping people, right? You also realize that a mod should have deleted your post because it is against the rules to demand answers, right?

Now that we have an understanding and can talk civilly,
we did not ignore your post. We just have no clue an therefore didn't answer. I know that when HackMew left the scene (hoping he will return) he took down his website and now all of his links are broken. The same could have happened with the emerald patch. It's not difficult to make one like it, just time consuming. Maybe, since you need one so bad, you should make one and share it with all of us.

Sorry for the sarcasm, things like this get to me.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; January 19th, 2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Didn't seem as justified in the morning....
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
I'm hacking fire red, and at some point something went wrong with the route 4/cerulean connection or something like that.

Most of the time you can cross between the two just fine, but if you enter mt moon (or in my hack, the seafoam islands cave is there), and then return to route 4, the game freezes near the water headed back to cerulean. I've also seen similar things in other hacks...anyone know what's going on?

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Pietdagamer
Unhatched Egg

I am hacking emerald and I am currently making a really big city. I wanted to make the map 100x100 tiles, but Advance map said that the max heigt at a map width of 100 is 75, so I tried making 4 maps of 50x50 tiles. I made the connections and movement permissions and it all looked like it worked.

But when I walk in from 1 of the 4 maps into another one of them, the tiles of the connected maps change to the border blocks, and you can't walk over those tiles. they disappear if you walk away, but then different tiles appear...

has anyone an idea how I can fix this?
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:23 AM
aadritch
Unhatched Egg

How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadritch View Post
How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....
Before the player ever has a chance of encountering the npc, have a flag set. Set this same flag # as the person id in amap. The npc will be hidden until that flag is cleared.

Paired with Simba
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
romancandle

Nature: Adamant
I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

Quote:
__ 3D 46 08
with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
DarkPsychic

Hello all
I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

tools being used-
Advance Map 1.92
Paint
Photoshop
X.S.E
IrfanView
and others

Many credits to their makers
and to those who keep this community toghether
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:51 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).
Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.

Paired with Simba
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM
romancandle

Quote:
Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.
Ohhh, I see. I wasn't aware of them. So this table seems to be completely unrelated, then. Any idea what I should look for, them? Like, the hex numbers of the stats?
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:00 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:

In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

As for the question:
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).
If you scroll down, you'd find that the offset is at 0x02024284 in FireRed.

--EDIT--
I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM
romancandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

As for the question:
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).

--EDIT--
I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
karatekid552

Quote:

As for the question:

--EDIT--
When I said labels, I meant that it is labeled as. If you open uo the memory in vba, it shows the ram. 00 is BIOS, 02 is WRAM, 03 is IRAM, and so on. When you get to 08, this is the actual rom. By putting 08 in a pointer, you are telling the engine that the pointer is going to the rom and not another place in the ram. I called it a label, because it's like a number equivilant of the label "rom".

The location you showed is in the ram. What was being asked is how to change it in the rom so that later it can be used by the game. If it is only changed in the ram, you would most likely have to change those values each time you loaded the game.

Edit:
Now that I followed the link, that is the data structure for a stored team or the pokemon in your pc. By changing the nature there, you would only change what nature that party pokemon had. It's also encrypted, though JPAN has a nice long post on how to work with it.

Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
Hello all
I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

tools being used-
Advance Map 1.92
Paint
Photoshop
X.S.E
IrfanView
and others

Many credits to their makers
and to those who keep this community toghether
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

This tutorial by link12552 has a very good explanation of bridges near the end. Here is the quote in the spoiler:

Spoiler:

Creating Bridges

Some people have a lot of trouble when it comes to making bridges, so here is an explanation.

A bridges movement permission is 3c. There must be 10's though, at the ends, to show the bridges' elevation.

The next part is what usually confuses people. The actual bridge tile's behavior has to be set to 08 00 for overland brdiges or 70 00 for bridges over water.

Over Land Bridge Example:

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; January 19th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
When I said labels, I meant that it is labeled as. If you open uo the memory in vba, it shows the ram. 00 is BIOS, 02 is WRAM, 03 is IRAM, and so on. When you get to 08, this is the actual rom. By putting 08 in a pointer, you are telling the engine that the pointer is going to the rom and not another place in the ram. I called it a label, because it's like a number equivilant of the label "rom".

The location you showed is in the ram. What was being asked is how to change it in the rom so that later it can be used by the game. If it is only changed in the ram, you would most likely have to change those values each time you loaded the game.
Ohh, alright makes sense now. I was kinda confused when you said label for the first time since technically variables themselves are pointers
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Ohh, alright makes sense now. I was kinda confused when you said label for the first time since technically variables themselves are pointers
If you really think about, every single command is a pointer. Every command (except the ones that do nothing:D) points to some routine and the parameters you put after it guide it.

Also, when I use the term "label" unless I say otherwise, I'm mean it like everyday use, like the label on a can or the title at the top of a page.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; January 19th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
romancandle

Quote:

Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

Is there any way to search for this stuff more quickly?

Also, the table AFTER the nature names just point back to it. Figures.

Edit: Eh, it's not worth the amount of effort. Changing the neutral natures into +HP just isn't worth it.

Last edited by romancandle; January 19th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Ok, so I've started adding new descriptions for the extra moves I added in my hack. It's been going along well; I'd go into "Summary" to check it, and it would look fine. But now, around the 40th description I've added, when I go to "Summary" to check, the game just resets. Why in the heck?
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:00 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
Quote:

Is there any way to search for this stuff more quickly?

Also, the table AFTER the nature names just point back to it. Figures.

Edit: Eh, it's not worth the amount of effort. Changing the neutral natures into +HP just isn't worth it.
It's a great idea, and it can be done. We just don't know much about nature yet. However, in case you ever feel like you want to give it another try, I have noticed that simillar things tend to be stored near each other. So, the table your looking for could only be a little bit away. Don't know.

There is a better way and it involves debugging. If you can see what part of the ram is being called upon when a nature is loaded, you can seach for those parts in the rom and find it. But its tough because it's not as obvious when natures are called upon compared to things like attack. I'm sure someday, someone will figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
Ok, so I've started adding new descriptions for the extra moves I added in my hack. It's been going along well; I'd go into "Summary" to check it, and it would look fine. But now, around the 40th description I've added, when I go to "Summary" to check, the game just resets. Why in the heck?
Bad pointer? Is it for all of them, or just that one move. If it is just the one, there was probobly just a problem with your offset. Just try recompiling it and then put in the new offset. If it's all them, it could be anything from a table error or a pointer to table error. Experiment with defferent things and see if something you do causes a change.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; January 19th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Quote:
Bad pointer? Is it for all of them, or just that one move. If it is just the one, there was probobly just a problem with your offset. Just try recompiling it and then put in the new offset. If it's all them, it could be anything from a table error or a pointer to table error. Experiment with defferent things and see if something you do causes a change.
That's what I thought, but even when I change the offset to another one, the game still resets. Is there a portion in the game's free space that you just can't mess with? Am I changing descriptions too close to the bottom (I started at offset 0x900EEB)? Either way, I can't seem to fix this problem. Putting in another offset, pointing it to free space, and using an already made stock description all don't work. I'm hoping there's a solution. If not, I'm glad I have a backup game with no descriptions and saved scripts of said descriptions. :/

I'm using Pokemon Game Editor's Attack Editor and Pokemon Ruby, if that helps any.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:41 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
That's what I thought, but even when I change the offset to another one, the game still resets. Is there a portion in the game's free space that you just can't mess with? Am I changing descriptions too close to the bottom (I started at offset 0x900EEB)? Either way, I can't seem to fix this problem. Putting in another offset, pointing it to free space, and using an already made stock description all don't work. I'm hoping there's a solution. If not, I'm glad I have a backup game with no descriptions and saved scripts of said descriptions. :/

I'm using Pokemon Game Editor's Attack Editor and Pokemon Ruby, if that helps any.
The 0x900000's should be safe, I know that when you get up really high, there is a string of numbers about 20 bytes long every 1000 or so bytes, don't know what it does, but it shouldn't be a problem if you descriptions are inserted dynamically. From your response, it is just the one move I'm guessing. What if it's not the description but one of the other details that is causing it to crash? Try looking into making sure everything else is correct also.

If worse comes to worse, just start over and make a back-up every five or so descriptions, they take up space, but it's far better than starting over many times.

Paired with Simba
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Enso
Unhatched Egg

I keep getting this error "ERROR (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $486828 is not a Pointer!!"
Using Advance Map 1.95 and Emerald if that makes a difference.
Tried looking it up but no luck.
What does it mean and how do i fix it?
I just started hacking so I know very little. My apologies if this has already been answered or if the answer is blatantly obvious.
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Manganum
Your local sine wave

Nature: Calm
I searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes:
I want to edit Lance's battle in Fire Red to be a double battle (which is simple enough), but I can't work out how to put another sprite alongside his when it says "Elite Four Lance wants to battle" or whatever. I'm going to go and compare his script with an existing double battle and see if that yields any results, but it's still worth posting this.
Anyone?

The Music

Pendulum - The Terminal
Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
Netsky - Love Has Gone

The Projects

Unnamed DnB project
Composition for rehearsals

The Inspiration

Pendulum
Blackmill
Enter Shikari

Old January 20th, 2013, 02:32 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enso View Post
I keep getting this error "ERROR (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $486828 is not a Pointer!!"
Using Advance Map 1.95 and Emerald if that makes a difference.
Tried looking it up but no luck.
What does it mean and how do i fix it?
I just started hacking so I know very little. My apologies if this has already been answered or if the answer is blatantly obvious.
That part of the ROM seems to deal with the connections between each map, there are quite a lot of zeroes around there so I'm guessing that you overwrote the data there when trying to insert something (a map, script, tiles etc). A quick fix would be to make a back up of your ROM, open it in a HEX editor, goto (Ctrl+G) 0x486828 and replace what's written there with '0C 68 48 08'. That would be the very least you can do to make that error disappear, but it would be better to compare that section of your edited Emerald ROM to one that hasn't been modified in any way and then replace your edited data with what's there.

Since you're starting out I can understand that it could be a bit hard to do this, but its the simplest thing I can think of to remedy your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
I searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes:
I want to edit Lance's battle in Fire Red to be a double battle (which is simple enough), but I can't work out how to put another sprite alongside his when it says "Elite Four Lance wants to battle" or whatever. I'm going to go and compare his script with an existing double battle and see if that yields any results, but it's still worth posting this.
Anyone?
When entering a double-battle in FR the game doesn't take two separate trainer images and pair them together, it uses a single image that has two people in it. You can see this is the case if you look at the images from 127 to 131 in Advance Trainer.

If you want to have two trainers appear when the trainer battle begins/ finishes you will have to do what GameFreak did and put them in the same sprite.

Last edited by DrFuji; January 20th, 2013 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Extra answer :D
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links