The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:58 AM
FroggestSpirit

Advertise here
Hello, I came here from the GBC hacking, because I had the idea of patching Pokemon Crystal to have up to 512 pokemon. I'm pretty fluent in using a GB debugger, and know GB ASM well, as i've done quite a few things with it. I figured that It'd be more beneficial to come here, and work off of FireRed. It sounds like this 649 patch is kind of what I wanted to do, so that's great. Other than that, Where's the best place to start, and is there an IRC?
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
I did make a new map...

on my new maps mapscript
under "On entering map/on menu close [05]"
ive got:
Spoiler:
#org 0x8800800
'-----------------------------------
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if == call 0x8800810 ' Equal To
end

#org 0x8800810
msgbox 0x8800900 ' OAK: Have you caught...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
closemsg
special 0xCE
special FR_NATIONAL_DEX
setvar 0x4055 0x3
warp 0x4 0x5 0xFF 0x4 0x2
end

#org 0x8800900
= OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nCome back so we can see.

its supposed to end the game after any battle where you caught a pokemon... because you would have 0 pokemon going in... then you should have 1 pokemon after the battle, so when it checks... it should play that event and give end the game... but instead... after any battle... it goes black ;(

UPDATE:
I used the "countpokemon" code in the exact same fashion while making the person stay in the event (if they get kicked out by the step counter)

Spoiler:
#org 0x8801000
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if >= call 0x816D2F2 ' Larger Than or Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if == call 0x88009B0 ' Equal To
end

#org 0x816D2F2
lockall
textcolor BLUE
msgbox 0x8197E85 ' Did you catch your f...
closemsg
applymovement PLAYER 0x816D362 ' walk_down walk_down ...
pauseevent 0x0
special 0xCE
setvar 0x406E 0x0
releaseall
end

#org 0x88009B0
lockall
textcolor BLUE
msgbox 0x88009F0 ' OAK: Have you caught...
closemsg
applymovement PLAYER 0x88009E0 ' walk_up end
pauseevent 0x0
special 0xCD
setvar 0x406E 0x2
warp 0x4 0x6 0xFF 0x19 0x1C
releaseall
end

#org 0x8197E85
= Did you catch your fair share?\nCome again!

#org 0x88009F0
= OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nGet back in there...

#org 0x816D362
M walk_down walk_down end

#org 0x88009E0
M walk_up end

and it worked perfectly... (even tested by actually playing the safari game and that way ends correctly too)

so y am I getting a black screen when I count in my lil safarigame...

counting to 0 works I guess cause it lets you keep playing if you run or chase off a poke... but if you count to 1 it glitches up...

UPDATE2:

it works without the message box script... so if oak doesnt call me to tell me to come back I randomely warp back with my poke...

that sux
Try using a different type of level script? Use 02 or 04, I think the message will work then. Don't forget to set a flag to disable to script in the end (if you want to reuse that map).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggestSpirit View Post
Hello, I came here from the GBC hacking, because I had the idea of patching Pokemon Crystal to have up to 512 pokemon. I'm pretty fluent in using a GB debugger, and know GB ASM well, as i've done quite a few things with it. I figured that It'd be more beneficial to come here, and work off of FireRed. It sounds like this 649 patch is kind of what I wanted to do, so that's great. Other than that, Where's the best place to start, and is there an IRC?
The best place to start is by identifying what it is you'd like to do. There's a lot of aspects for hacking and some of them are vastly different than others. If you enjoyed analyzing data and making routines, then you can start with scripting and later move on to ASM. If you're switching over to Fire Red for a graphic update, mapping/tile inserting to graphic editing might be where you want to start.

The tutorial section is a good place to being for any of these, make sure to use the search function to easily find what you're looking for. As for an IRC, I think PC has one, but I've never gotten it to work (not sure if ****** code or some sorta failure on my part). Maybe you'll have more luck :P

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
95gemello7
MrGarroz

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I mean the exact same animation. Wait, it wasn't sky uppercut, for that one, but I know they exist:p

Pointers are a fun little things. In a hex editor they look like CZ BY AX 08, but regularly they are AX BY CZ. It should be working, as you do have pointers, so I don't quite understand why it wouldn't. Try opening up a hex editor and doing it manually.
Yes, I knew how pointers work... And how can I change animations using an Hex Editor? I'm still wondering why changing the pointer in Attack Editor doesn't work...
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:15 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gemello7 View Post
Yes, I knew how pointers work... And how can I change animations using an Hex Editor? I'm still wondering why changing the pointer in Attack Editor doesn't work...
Go to the pointer table and change the pointer manually. So, follow Chaos Rush's tutorial where he second post on it was Gamer2020 saying that it could be done in PGE but he hadn't released it yet.

Paired with Simba
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM
95gemello7
MrGarroz

Quote:
Go to the pointer table and change the pointer manually. So, follow Chaos Rush's tutorial where he second post on it was Gamer2020 saying that it could be done in PGE but he hadn't released it yet.
I'm confused... I just tried to do this thing...
First: I tried another time to change the pointer in PGE...
I went to Pound's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6c3489de.png
Then I went to Mega Punch's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psc035aa34.png
I changed Pound's pointer with Mega Punch's, repointed and saved.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3115b3d6.png
When I tried it on my rom, it didn't work.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psce67b360.png

After this fail, I did this: I went to Pound's animation pointer in my hex editor.
I found it and Mega Punch's animation.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e45420.png
Then I swapped these two pointers.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f9d65fc.png
And... It worked!
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc48812b.png

BUT MY REAL QUESTION IS: why? Wasn't the first way correct and easier?

Last edited by 95gemello7; February 14th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
I'm confused... I just tried to do this thing...
First: I tried another time to change the pointer in PGE...
I went to Pound's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6c3489de.png
Then I went to Mega Punch's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psc035aa34.png
I changed Pound's pointer with Mega Punch's, repointed and saved.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3115b3d6.png
When I tried it on my rom, it didn't work.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psce67b360.png

After this fail, I did this: I went to Pound's animation pointer in my hex editor.
I found it and Mega Punch's animation.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e45420.png
Then I swapped these two pointers.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f9d65fc.png
And... It worked!
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc48812b.png

BUT MY REAL QUESTION IS: why? Wasn't the first way correct and easier?
I have no clue. The second way, you were guaranteed results as you did it manually. I want you to try something. Make an edit in PGE and close it. Then open up the hex editor and see if the change was made to the rom. No matter the result, go back into to PGE and verify that the change was made.

My feeling is that PGE isn't editing the rom...

Edit: Next time you use pictures, use [img] tags so that I don't have to follow the links. It makes it much easier for me or anyone to view. Photobucket actually gives you the [img] tagged links in its sharing box.

Paired with Simba
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

just wanted to thank everyone for the help... I altered a bit from my original plan... but now in my hack you can pick from the 3 starters OR talk to oak without choosing one and get an option to catch your own starter pokemon... its awesome
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:40 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
just wanted to thank everyone for the help... I altered a bit from my original plan... but now in my hack you can pick from the 3 starters OR talk to oak without choosing one and get an option to catch your own starter pokemon... its awesome
That is great, you're welcome!!! Did you ever solve the disappearing legendary dogs problem?

Paired with Simba
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

I believe I did... but then again... ive said that before... so... only a ton of testers playing through it will tell
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:59 PM
The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D's Avatar
The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D

Is there a guide on how to use shinyzer

To be changed to Terror!
Ive been let aware of a Pokemon Nightmare Hack being released already, i waited to long, and i checked it out and it looks really cool
I wanted to keep a connection to Nightmare, so i thought of Night Terrors, and kept Terror!

Currently in Design Stage, will be begin to code in around a month!
Pokemon Dream will be the sequel and made Somewhat after.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Omega Zero
Would anyone happen to have the DP instruments in .wav file?
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Demon_Fox

Nature: Adamant
Hi I just started using Jpan's Hacked engine (the tool version). I was wondering if anybody has come across a glitch after using the hack tool to add the extra OWs. When the hero uses surf and has a battle the sprite is all messed up until you leave the map. At first I thought I had messed it up somehow, but I tried it on a fresh rom and it has the same result.

In addition it also resets the game anytime you go near the old man who needs coffee (unless you change his sprite in Advanced Map).

Any help would be awesome.
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:39 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D View Post
Is there a guide on how to use shinyzer
It's extremely simple, if you can figure it out:D After you use use it in your rom by attaching it to some free space, just set var 8003 to any number you like in a script. This number is number of shiny encounters you will have in a row, be it wild or trainer Pokemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Fox View Post
Hi I just started using Jpan's Hacked engine (the tool version). I was wondering if anybody has come across a glitch after using the hack tool to add the extra OWs. When the hero uses surf and has a battle the sprite is all messed up until you leave the map. At first I thought I had messed it up somehow, but I tried it on a fresh rom and it has the same result.

In addition it also resets the game anytime you go near the old man who needs coffee (unless you change his sprite in Advanced Map).

I know that the hidden movement option number 1 in FireRed always causes a crash for me but I have also seen it where missing or corrupt OWs will cause crashing too. Check in NSE classic to make sure his sprite and pallets are intact after the move.

When you say it is messed up until you leave the map, that could be that the rom just needed to refresh itself, especially if you had a save file, which is essentially, a back-up of the important ram data. So, by warping, you refresh the locations and data of almost everything. The location of the battle sprits most likely was moved, and therefore, the game up was unable to recognize it until, the ram was refreshed.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 15th, 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:

It's because this option in the tool version of the hack is broken. It has a bad ASM return address in it, which causes resets when used.

Diegoisawesome discovered this some time ago.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:56 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

how much room is there for extra maps on fire red... I intend to add a new island broken into several maps which ultimately has all the gen 3 pokemon... should I be worried about space?
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
how much room is there for extra maps on fire red... I intend to add a new island broken into several maps which ultimately has all the gen 3 pokemon... should I be worried about space?
You should have enough, for another Mini-region. Worst comes to worse, you can always expand the ROM :)

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Shubunkus
I.R.

Hey, I have a question. I'm trying to change the starting map in a FireRed ROM with SMCA but when I load the ROM onto SMCA, I get the error "Run-time error '380': Invalid Property Value". Does anybody know what this means and how to fix it? If not, is there another way I can change the starting map?

Last edited by Shubunkus; February 15th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Demon_Fox

Nature: Adamant
Thanks for the quick replies, that is disappointing that its broken I was depending on the additional OWs and Palette options, does anyone know if the ips patches have the same problems. I already started from scratch again because of that glitch, however I don't really wont to wipe all scripts out.

Quote:
It's because this option in the tool version of the hack is broken. It has a bad ASM return address in it, which causes resets when used.

Is there any way of implementing the OW and palette hack without the tool, so it doesn't have the bad return address.

Like a step by step guide, or if anyone could give me a hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post

Is there anyway we could fix this and re-upload the tool? JPAN hasn't been active on this forum for a little while, has anyone been able to tell him? He did provide the source code, I believe, so it would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubunkus View Post
Hey, I have a question. I'm trying to change the starting map in a FireRed ROM but when I load the ROM, I get the error "Run-time error '380': Invalid Property Value". Does anybody know what this means and how to fix it? If not, is there another way I can change the starting map?
This is a problem that using JPAN's hack causes. I know how to do the things SMCA does with a hex editor. I will write a tutorial soon. You are not the only one wondering this.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies, that is disappointing that its broken I was depending on the additional OWs and Palette options, does anyone know if the ips patches have the same problems. I already started from scratch again because of that glitch, however I don't really wont to wipe all scripts out.

Is there any way of implementing the OW and palette hack without the tool, so it doesn't have the bad return address.

Like a step by step guide, or if anyone could give me a hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I believe the ips doesn't have any problems, but it does wipe out all old scripts and such, so that will have to be your decision. By the way, always back up, especially when doing something such as using a tool like JPAN's which makes major changes to your rom.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 15th, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:19 AM
.parado✗
paranormal user

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to .parado✗
Hello hackers
I have a big Problem.. I want to show Graphics via ASM, but I dont know
where the DMA3 location is..

First of all here the Code

Code:
.align 2
.thumb
.global main

main:
        ldr r0, dma3
        mov r1, #0x80
        strb r1, [r0]
        pop {r0-r7, pc}        
        push {r0-r7, lr}
        ldr r0, source
        ldr r1, destination
        swi 0x12
        pop {r0-r7, pc}
        push {r0-r7, lr}
        ldr r0, dma3
        mov r1, #0x40
        strb r1, [r0]
        pop {r0-r7, pc}

.align 2
dma3: .word 0x4XXXXXX

.align 2

source:
        .word 0x08A00000

destination:
        .word 0x06008800
Well, I know the DMA is in the I/O RAM but where?

Also, how to load a tilemap?
Cuz I need it too..

Thanks

www.board.romresources.net

I'm registered under the name: "Laz0r" there.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM
95gemello7
MrGarroz

Quote:
I have no clue. The second way, you were guaranteed results as you did it manually. I want you to try something. Make an edit in PGE and close it. Then open up the hex editor and see if the change was made to the rom. No matter the result, go back into to PGE and verify that the change was made.

My feeling is that PGE isn't editing the rom...

Edit: Next time you use pictures, use [img] tags so that I don't have to follow the links. It makes it much easier for me or anyone to view. Photobucket actually gives you the [img] tagged links in its sharing box.
So, I cheked and in my opinion PGE doesn't work on attack's pointer because in my Hex Editor nothing has changed... But what can I do now?? I really don't know how to change manually the pointers because I have to repoint the pointers which are in PGE!
It sounds weird, but I don't know how to explain this thing!
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM
karatekid552

For those you having problems with SMCA and JPAN's hack, i was writing my tutorial today on how to do it with a hex editor, and I learned why. The origional location of the player facing section was cleared for free space. So, SMCA was expecting values 01-04 but got FF.

Quote:
So, I cheked and in my opinion PGE doesn't work on attack's pointer because in my Hex Editor nothing has changed... But what can I do now?? I really don't know how to change manually the pointers because I have to repoint the pointers which are in PGE!
It sounds weird, but I don't know how to explain this thing!
You know how pointers work, they are just reverse byte order. Also the animation pointer table is in order, so using the section on finding the animation offset in Choas' tutorial, find the location of the pointer you want and then you can move it to the one you want to have that animation. If you are creating new animations, remember-

The offset is AX BY CZ so the pointer would be CZ BY AX 08.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 16th, 2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:51 AM

For the Shinyzer do you have to make more offsets or can you just call back to that one offset everytime you need ashiny in your script?

To be changed to Terror!
Ive been let aware of a Pokemon Nightmare Hack being released already, i waited to long, and i checked it out and it looks really cool
I wanted to keep a connection to Nightmare, so i thought of Night Terrors, and kept Terror!

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:49 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D View Post
For the Shinyzer do you have to make more offsets or can you just call back to that one offset everytime you need ashiny in your script?
You can use the same offset. However I have found that you don't even need to do that. Just set var 0x8003 to the number of shines you want to appear in a row. I have done just that on over 100 separate occasions and it always works.

Basically, I just created a ton of tiles that contain this script:

#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
setvar 0x8003 0x1
end

and these tiles increased the shiny rate by making the next Pokemon you see, after stepping on the tile, shiny.

Paired with Simba
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM

How do you put in a script period

To be changed to Terror!

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here