Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Ok, so I edited the Oak Tutorial in A-text without repointing...and it still glitches out and restarts the game...
IGN: Anna/Noossab Blue
3DS FC: 3196 3609 8450

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
Ok, so I edited the Oak Tutorial in A-text without repointing...and it still glitches out and restarts the game...
That might not be the fault of A-Text but something else in ROM...
Can you try a new one and do the same procedure to see if your editing is the cause?
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. | Previous Sign 2 | Previous Sign

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:21 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Hi guys, I am wondering if there is anyway to ADD new map banks. I know there are over 100 of them but is there a way to add new ones without having to modify them. Eg: If I change PALLET TOWN the town name changes all the map names. Does this make sense? Or can I add new map headers?
I answered this last night when PC got shut down for a little bit, so I decided to wait for morning and went to bed. :p

What you are looking for is map names. Banks are groups of similar maps and headers are what store the settings for each map so they can be loaded by the game. It is possible to expand the table, but there is a limiter byte that hasn't been found yet that prevents the expanded table from being used. As you may have noticed, A-map 1.95 has a button that says something like "add new map name", but it is greyed out and you can't use it. This is why.

You will be pleased to hear however, that the second half of the list of names in FR is unused. They are all of the leftover names from RS (i think.... I know emerald has leftover FR names... I'm pretty sure it's the same for FR) so you can just replace those.

Paired with Simba
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
That might not be the fault of A-Text but something else in ROM...
Can you try a new one and do the same procedure to see if your editing is the cause?
Good call. The clean rom works...but I have no idea what I did to make it stop working on mine...

Edit: Actually, I figured it out and it had nothing to with the clean ROM after all. I was using [PLAYER] to retrieve the player's name, but apparently that doesn't work at the beginning of oak's tutorial. When I just changed it to \v[&H23] it worked...
IGN: Anna/Noossab Blue
3DS FC: 3196 3609 8450

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Last edited by Noossab Blue; March 8th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
kj3400
Wants a Magneton for a Charger

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to kj3400
Instead of having to trade pokemon with items to have them evolve, I just want the player to use the item on the pokemon. Is that possible?
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:17 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj3400 View Post
Instead of having to trade pokemon with items to have them evolve, I just want the player to use the item on the pokemon. Is that possible?
You can just edit those in YAPE :O

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
kj3400

Oh. Well I did that . So if I use the item in the game, the pokemon will evolve? I haven't tried it yet, I just wanted to make sure before I tried and nothing happened.
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:56 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj3400 View Post
Oh. Well I did that . So if I use the item in the game, the pokemon will evolve? I haven't tried it yet, I just wanted to make sure before I tried and nothing happened.
Only for items that are already evolution stones. If you want to make more stones, or make other items behave like stones, see my tutorial here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...16&postcount=1

Paired with Simba
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:02 PM
kj3400

Gotcha. I'll get on that right away.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I answered this last night when PC got shut down for a little bit, so I decided to wait for morning and went to bed. :p

What you are looking for is map names. Banks are groups of similar maps and headers are what store the settings for each map so they can be loaded by the game. It is possible to expand the table, but there is a limiter byte that hasn't been found yet that prevents the expanded table from being used. As you may have noticed, A-map 1.95 has a button that says something like "add new map name", but it is greyed out and you can't use it. This is why.

You will be pleased to hear however, that the second half of the list of names in FR is unused. They are all of the leftover names from RS (i think.... I know emerald has leftover FR names... I'm pretty sure it's the same for FR) so you can just replace those.

Thanks heaps!! Looks like I'll deal with what I have haha!
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Dusko
Unhatched Egg

Hey, I rly need your help here :/ I've been trying to open Pokemon Never with an emulator on my android phone.
When I open this game's .gba file, I get the START screen and I press A, and I get the "NEW GAME" and "OPTION" screen, when I press new game, I briefly get to see the green screen of the game and then quicky get bios load screen and then the game loads again :/ Please help :/ :/
P.S : Tried searching for somthing like this, didn't find it (maybe there is one ? ) / Was referred to post this Q in this section.
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko View Post
Hey, I rly need your help here :/ I've been trying to open Pokemon Never with an emulator on my android phone.
When I open this game's .gba file, I get the START screen and I press A, and I get the "NEW GAME" and "OPTION" screen, when I press new game, I briefly get to see the green screen of the game and then quicky get bios load screen and then the game loads again :/ Please help :/ :/
P.S : Tried searching for somthing like this, didn't find it (maybe there is one ? ) / Was referred to post this Q in this section.
I love playing hacks on my iPod, so I guess I might be able to help you. First, which emulator are you using. Second, did it play on your computer? There might have been a patching issue.

Lastly, I want you to go download a different emulator from the Android App Store. There are like 30 of them, lol. It could just be the emulator.

Paired with Simba
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Dusko
Unhatched Egg

Firstly I have been using an emulator called "Verbs" then I tired "Gameboid" but none of them seem to work :/. Wierdly the spanish Never version is working but the english one isn't :/ I have tried both on my pc and they work (I had to do that save memory -> Flash/Flash 128 thing) Hope this clears it up a little bit, I ll try some other gba emulators in the meantime.
EDIT: I figured it out :D Tried the My Boy emulator and poof, the game works Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Dusko; March 8th, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:01 PM
MidiMasterShiro
Music Hacker/Composer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to MidiMasterShiro
Hey. Does anyone know where to find the in-battle text box in FRLG and how do I change the colors of it?
Thanks.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidiMasterShiro View Post
Hey. Does anyone know where to find the in-battle text box in FRLG and how do I change the colors of it?
Thanks.
Yeah, you would have to go into the tile viewer in VBA and find it while in a battle. From there, you would look up its matching bytes in the memory viewer and search them in a hex editor which has your rom open. Lastly, open that offset they are at up in a graphics viewer and you should be able to see them.

Paired with Simba
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:51 AM
exedissolve
Straight-edge

I read through 'simple questions', for a while at least, I just wanna know where I can get
Diamond/Pearl tilesets for Advance Map.

Any assistance/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dissolve's PokePet

Bunsin the level 53 Flareon!
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:34 AM
LusoTrainer

Hey there,

I'm having problems with Trader Advanced that I hope you guys can help me with: I have a v1.1 FireRed rom and I can't seem to open it (Run-time error '63': Bad record number), yet it works fine with a 1.0 version. Is there a fix for the 1.1 version?

P.S: I just want to change the names of in-game traded pokémons, so if there is an alternative tool that I can use, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LusoTrainer; March 9th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:40 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedissolve View Post
I read through 'simple questions', for a while at least, I just wanna know where I can get
Diamond/Pearl tilesets for Advance Map.

Any assistance/direction would be greatly appreciated.
Google images:p. There may also be some in the Resources thread. Just use the search bar.

Paired with Simba
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Xealeos
Unhatched Egg

I've encountered a glitch in my hack and I have no clue how it came to be or what I can do about it. I've modified the Fuchsia gym to have a different layout and chipset. I've also changed the dialogue of the gym leader and the TM he gives you. The trainers in the gym have been repositioned and their viewing range and direction has been altered.

So what happens is that whenever I finish a battle, the gym leader's sprite glitches out and I lose control of my character. Instead, I now control one of the gym trainers. This trainer, however, can't move further away from it's start position than just 1 square of movement. I've made an image to clarify what is going on.

Spoiler:

This is the situation right after I've fought anyone in the gym. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this to happen? With how little I changed about the scripts, I don't think it's a very complicated problem. I'm just not experienced enough to recognize it.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xealeos View Post
I've encountered a glitch in my hack and I have no clue how it came to be or what I can do about it. I've modified the Fuchsia gym to have a different layout and chipset. I've also changed the dialogue of the gym leader and the TM he gives you. The trainers in the gym have been repositioned and their viewing range and direction has been altered.

So what happens is that whenever I finish a battle, the gym leader's sprite glitches out and I lose control of my character. Instead, I now control one of the gym trainers. This trainer, however, can't move further away from it's start position than just 1 square of movement. I've made an image to clarify what is going on.

Spoiler:

This is the situation right after I've fought anyone in the gym. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this to happen? With how little I changed about the scripts, I don't think it's a very complicated problem. I'm just not experienced enough to recognize it.
This is something that is experienced every so often. Take the trainer that causes this, or that you end up controlling, move it to the edge of the screen, and find a way to hide it, either by setting it's movement to hide, or it's person ID to a well known flag such as the pokedex flag. Then create a new NPC with everything the same. DO NOT DELETE THE OLD ONE, or else the problem will shift to a new sprite.

Paired with Simba
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Xealeos
Unhatched Egg

Yay, that fixed it! Thanks!
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:55 AM
ArthurWaine
Unhatched Egg

Hey everyone! Got a (hopefully) simple question here, not sure if this is where it belongs, but I'll give it a shot: I have several rom hacking tools that won't start up, most notably NSE classic. If I activate the program, I get an error, saying 'unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application'. This made me asssume my .NET was broken, but most other applications work just fine. Anyone got any tips? Currently running .NET 4.0 on a virtual windows machine (in case that might help).
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:08 AM
jackhiggins138
Unhatched Egg

ive been using pokescript for a long time but i have decided to move along to XSE but when i run it it just closes instantly . any help ?
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurWaine View Post
Hey everyone! Got a (hopefully) simple question here, not sure if this is where it belongs, but I'll give it a shot: I have several rom hacking tools that won't start up, most notably NSE classic. If I activate the program, I get an error, saying 'unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application'. This made me asssume my .NET was broken, but most other applications work just fine. Anyone got any tips? Currently running .NET 4.0 on a virtual windows machine (in case that might help).
Yeah, you should reinstall the .NET framework, and I believe I have heard problems from people trying to run hacking programs on virtual windows machines, I guess the don't play well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhiggins138 View Post
ive been using pokescript for a long time but i have decided to move along to XSE but when i run it it just closes instantly . any help ?
We need a specific thread just for this question. i have answered it at least 20 times on here, and others have answered it as well.

Go download the settings.ini file for it (if you don't already have it) and change the autoupdatecheck to equal zero. If the line isn't in there, add a new line for it just above [format] and it should look like this (without the quotes): "autoupdatecheck=0".

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; March 10th, 2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:01 AM
naname396
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Mild
- Do you know maybe of a step-to-step guide on starting your own hack?
I have an idea forming in my mind, but I don't know how to even begin implementing it and the tutorials I have seen did not help me much.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here