The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552
I can explain it, but if you don't know ASM, it will be really tough.

1) Use Max repel. The open up the create cheat function in VBA and use that to pinpoint the location of the step counter which will decrease (255, 254, 253....) with each step. Just give it a quick youtube, it is fairly simple to use.

2) Set a breakpoint on read of that location. This will be the point at which the game says, "Hmm, he has 25 steps left, continue..." And then later, "Oh! 0 steps left, play message." If you can work backwards from here by following the routine back, you will eventually find where it begins. However, if you can't read ASM, you won't know where that point is.:p

My best advice: if you are serious about hacking, hit up both HackMew's and shinyquagsire's ASM tutorials. From there, read JPAN's documentation and start experimenting. It is a lot, I know, but it is deffinately worth it.

Here is some useful stuff (Darthatron, FBI, and I all use it, probobly more people too):

Instruction reference: https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece222/ARM...manual-pt3.pdf

JPAN's doc: http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachm...7&d=1247104157
Well, I'll give it a shot but I doubt it will work for me. I've looked at lots of ASM tutorials before but never really understood any of them.

Thanks anyways!

EDIT: Just for clarification, what do you mean by "follow the routine back?"

Last edited by shinyabsol1; March 19th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Why in some cases the offset in which we insert some data must end with 0, 4, 8, ...?
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM
lazzxion
Unhatched Egg

Hi, i'm Lazzxion

i'm new at this so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot
i'm currently working on a Pokemon ROM hack to make emerald have a
Pokemon Black and White feel to it. During this posses a friend of mine
asked me to include Leafeon and Glaceon to Eevee's evolutions.

Unfortunately, no matter what tools i use the limit is 5 evolutions per
pokemon and i cant seem to find anything to help me break this limit
or just make it so you give eevee away and then gain one of the two
while still being able to breed an eevee from them.

I've searched high and low for nearly two weeks with no helpful
results, so if anyone can just tell me it's impossible or if there is a
way to actually do what i'm trying to achieve, i would be so thankful.

-LazzXion
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM
ep!c
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ep!c
Impossible, engine of the game ya'know?
Without an engine hack of the ROM you can try it with ASM.
Checking levels, stats, etc. of the old pokemon and transfer it to a new pokemon.
Kinda make a new and remove the old..
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:52 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
Why in some cases the offset in which we insert some data must end with 0, 4, 8, ...?
Everything inside the rom is in binary, having value of 0 or 1. If we look it at the aspect of a certain address, we have a 32-bit value (or "4-byte value") that points to the address. Now if the highest or second highest (32nd, 31st) bit of this pointer is set to 1, the address won't end with value of "0", "4", "8" or "C". This comes from the way binary works.

So there could be some code that requires both those bits having the value of 0. I personally have no idea why they wanted to program the game like that but it could be one solution, among many.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:32 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
Well, I'll give it a shot but I doubt it will work for me. I've looked at lots of ASM tutorials before but never really understood any of them.

Thanks anyways!

EDIT: Just for clarification, what do you mean by "follow the routine back?"
Look at the line of your breakpoint, and look one line up, figure out what that is doing, then go one more line up, etc.

Paired with Simba
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Krakanous

Will none "animated" sprites work in 5th gen games like black and white? im wanting to use some custom sprites in a black rom,but they are none animated, they have a front and back, but can they be used if they are just stationary? is there anything i can use to create a back image and an animated image? thanks.
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:53 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakanous View Post
Will none "animated" sprites work in 5th gen games like black and white? im wanting to use some custom sprites in a black rom,but they are none animated, they have a front and back, but can they be used if they are just stationary? is there anything i can use to create a back image and an animated image? thanks.
I don't hack DS Games and there aren't many DS Game hacker, I think you might be able to do it by inserting the same sprite over and over to make an illusion that it doesn't move.
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:36 AM
Reygok
Beginning Hacker

Hi, I still have problems with flags... I know many people asked this before, mee too, but everybody gives different answers, but in whatever range I try, there are always flasgs that simply don't work. Is this inevitable, or IS there acturally a range of, lets say, 300-400 flags that are 100% sure to use?

Thanks for any answers,
Reygok
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:46 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygok View Post
Hi, I still have problems with flags... I know many people asked this before, mee too, but everybody gives different answers, but in whatever range I try, there are always flasgs that simply don't work. Is this inevitable, or IS there acturally a range of, lets say, 300-400 flags that are 100% sure to use?

Thanks for any answers,
Reygok
If you are not using any scripts that existed from the original FR, then the 100% safe flags are 200-2FF. There are a A LOT of temporary flags for things like rock smash rocks and cut trees (which always come back later so, flag = temporary). So, yeah, the best flags are 200-2FF and there are a few outside of that range which are safe, but you have to be careful. Look at those lists I have posted by DavidJCobb over and over again and see if you can determine what flags are safe and what aren't. Also, if it isn't on the list, that doesn't mean it is safe, it just means that the game didn't use it. (And if Game Freak didn't use it... You have to ask yourself, "Why?".)

Paired with Simba
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:03 AM
Hacker Bisharp
Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
I need some help
I'm hacking Pokèmon white, for edit text i use pptxt but i can not find the text
I want.
I'm searching the text when you find a new item. Example: Player found a Potion!
Help!

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Last edited by Hacker Bisharp; March 21st, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:47 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post
I need some help
I'm hacking Pokèmon white, for edit text i use pptxt but i can not find the text
I want.
I'm searching the text when you find a new item. Example: Player found a Potion!
Help!
You will most likely need a representation of value that Player's name and item is stored at.
Have you tried searching just for "found" word?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Hacker Bisharp
Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
You will most likely need a representation of value that Player's name and item is stored at.
Have you tried searching just for "found" word?
PPTXT is not how advance text, i can't search word..

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:18 AM
foxz.

Hi!
I have a question, hope someone can answer!
well, I have a problem to find the offset of the palettes of the battle background, usually i find with emulator and APE, but for some reason failed to find it, if anyone knows the offset, could tell me ..
thanks!
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxz.
Hi!
well, I have a problem to find the offset of the palettes of the battle background, usually i find with emulator and APE, but for some reason failed to find it, if anyone knows the offset, could tell me ..
thanks!
It would be helpful to know what game you're hacking...
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM
HyperXhydra

I want to hack emerald, but I remember when I did before, some of the game's music
got glitchy like petalburg music, I don't know if it has happened to anyone, why did it happen? and is it better to hack ruby or emerald?
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
If you are not using any scripts that existed from the original FR, then the 100% safe flags are 200-2FF. There are a A LOT of temporary flags for things like rock smash rocks and cut trees (which always come back later so, flag = temporary). So, yeah, the best flags are 200-2FF and there are a few outside of that range which are safe, but you have to be careful. Look at those lists I have posted by DavidJCobb over and over again and see if you can determine what flags are safe and what aren't. Also, if it isn't on the list, that doesn't mean it is safe, it just means that the game didn't use it. (And if Game Freak didn't use it... You have to ask yourself, "Why?".)
What comes to this... There is most likely a certain part of unused ram memory in the end of WRAM. Because flags are used to point to certain flag table (with a mathematical pattern), you might be able to make them point to this unused ram space as well (by setting the flag numbers high enough, value limit of 0xFFFF may cause a problem though).

In G/S/C, the flag table is 0x100 bytes long of which only a half is safely usable. But there is also a 0x40 byte free space area in the end of WRAM.
In this case, we can use flags above 0x4838 to point to this free space.

So yeah, someone should check this out whether there is free space for adding stuff there in the end of WRAM and if so, where flags are originally stored --> which flag numbers will point to this unused ram memory area.

Of course it's not the best idea to use unused part of wram for flags, you could store entirely different data of your own there. But it would come in handy if you were running out of "safe flag space".

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
What comes to this... There is most likely a certain part of unused ram memory in the end of WRAM. Because flags are used to point to certain flag table (with a mathematical pattern), you might be able to make them point to this unused ram space as well (by setting the flag numbers high enough, value limit of 0xFFFF may cause a problem though).

In G/S/C, the flag table is 0x100 bytes long of which only a half is safely usable. But there is also a 0x40 byte free space area in the end of WRAM.
In this case, we can use flags above 0x4838 to point to this free space.

So yeah, someone should check this out whether there is free space for adding stuff there in the end of WRAM and if so, where flags are originally stored --> which flag numbers will point to this unused ram memory area.

Of course it's not the best idea to use unused part of wram for flags, you could store entirely different data of your own there. But it would come in handy if you were running out of "safe flag space".
Yes, Knizz and Jambo did it with vars, and I think Knizz also did it with it flags. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxz. View Post
Hi!
thanks!
The palette for the Battle Backgrounds are Lz compressed making them a little bit harder to find than, let's say, OW palettes. If you are using FR, I have the location of the table which controls them. So, as shinyabsol1 said, we need to know which rom.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; March 21st, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
foxz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
It would be helpful to know what game you're hacking...
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I'd post. is for FR
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxz. View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I'd post. is for FR
Cool, I will dig up the info and give it to you.

Paired with Simba
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:20 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Hello everyone again, I am struggling a lot with the ice pit warps (in icefall cave). I can see this is 100% scripted and I can replicate this copying the same scripts. I can't find a tutorial on this either sorry. For the map scripts there is a flag 0x4001 and I wonder if I have to use another flag. If I copy the script I decompiled from XSE and write it to my offset it sorta works but warps me to icefall cave and crashes! Any ideas on how to get this working?

ALLLSSOO... I found i horrible way to fix my problem... I can extend icefall cave to a 255x23 map and I can repoint the map (which will massive...) and all I have to is remember the X and Y co ordinates and put them on the next map. Seems dodgy and obviously not the right way to do this, but I'm new and can only get better hopefully haha!! Thanks guys!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
TurrableTrevor
Unhatched Egg

I was wondering how to give the player the Pokemon Menu and Pokedex in Pokescript, when hacking Emerald Version. I think it's done through flags and I know how to do it in Fire Red or Leaf Green. Does anyone know what flags they are?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurrableTrevor View Post
I was wondering how to give the player the Pokemon Menu and Pokedex in Pokescript, when hacking Emerald Version. I think it's done through flags and I know how to do it in Fire Red or Leaf Green. Does anyone know what flags they are?
I think XSE has a list of flags in one of the header files in that came with it. Not completely sure if that flag is listed there, but it is a good shot. Also, the best way to find stuff like this is to go to the script which gives you them and take a look at it. Both of these flags will be in the 800s.

Paired with Simba
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
flaredragon00
The Fire-type Octillery!

Nature: Bashful
Sorry if this has already been asked before, but how do you change what Fossils turn into in Pokemon Fire Red?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
ShyRayq
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaredragon00 View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked before, but how do you change what Fossils turn into in Pokemon Fire Red?
I believe this is very easy. Open up the script of the scientist at Cinnabar. Then go to where it says givepokemon 0x.... then change what pokemon he gives. However, if it isn't that simple, well.. just try it first.
Live Pokedex Completed as of 02/03/14
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X and Elements1

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here