The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:43 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
Hey guys! I tried putting the offsets I found here at the FontGFX and Font Width Part of the Pokeroms.ini of Fonted but it gives me "Run-time error '380': Invalid property value". Any idea on how to fix this?
Well, there could be many reasons behind the error. But, it sounds like this is just a typical error behind the program not recognizing a value due to the format it's being written at.

If you're using hexadecimal numbers to mark the addresses, the prefix of the values could for example be one of these: "$", "0x", "x", or, the value might not need a prefix at all. It all depends on how the programmer of the tool wanted to create it. Also, the ini-file might also not be able to deal with hexadecimal at all, and you'd have to convert the values into decimal first to be able to load data at those addresses (or the other way around).

On the other hand, by what I picked up from diego's thread there, editing the font can be achieved really easily just by using Tile Molester (although it may not sound like that because you can't see images of the process there), so you don't really even need this additional font editing tool for the job.

Pretty much everytime the graphics aren't compressed (just like you can compress data inside zip-archives, graphics data can also be compressed inside the rom with a certain compression routine, to make the images/sprites fit in smaller space), you can edit them with a tile layer editor, like Tile Molester, without having an additional program "making the job easier".

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Well, there could be many reasons behind the error. But, it sounds like this is just a typical error behind the program not recognizing a value due to the format it's being written at.

If you're using hexadecimal numbers to mark the addresses, the prefix of the values could for example be one of these: "$", "0x", "x", or, the value might not need a prefix at all. It all depends on how the programmer of the tool wanted to create it. Also, the ini-file might also not be able to deal with hexadecimal at all, and you'll have to convert the values into decimal first to be able to load data at those addresses.

On the other hand, by what I picked up from diego's thread there, editing the font can be achieved really easily just by using Tile Molester (although it may not sound like that because you can't see images of the process there), so you don't really even need this additional font editing tool for the job.
Well, about the tool not recognizing the offsets written in the ini, if you put the offset of the FontGFX alone, it will give you "ROM supported but Fontwidths not specified." But once you put in the Fontwidths offset, it will have the "Run-time error". But thanks for helping, its just that it can be a pain in the neck manually going to the offset, export image, edit with paint, import, save, go to another offset etc. But never mind, I'll do it the hard way.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:37 AM
Mickey`

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey`
Hello (I'm French and I'm only fifteen, so I'm sorry about my bad English ! :s)

I've got two questions.

First, is it possible to activate an ASM script just pressing a button (without use a XSE script) ?

And then, is it possible, with ASM, to appear pictures on the screen, such as our first Pokémon's sprite ?

Thanks a lot

Mickey`
1) I believe that JPAN's engine allows the running of a script based upon the press of a button, so it could run a script that just says, "callasm 0x[routine+1]".

2) You don't need ASM, there are scripting commands for that. Something like showpokepic and hidepokepic.
1) I know it, but I'm French, so I use French ROMs... and JPAN's engine works only on US ROMs.

2) After I posted my message, I thought to this ; I know the showpokepic and hidepokepic commands, but I don't want to use them. I want to appear only the sprite, not the white background...
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:49 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey` View Post
1) I know it, but I'm French, so I use French ROMs... and JPAN's engine works only on US ROMs.

2) After I posted my message, I thought to this ; I know the showpokepic and hidepokepic commands, but I don't want to use them. I want to appear only the sprite, not the white background...

1) Hmmmm, we could try porting his hack, he does provide all of the source code. That would be the best and easiest way.

2) In Ruby there is a command called hidebox which removes the white background. This command does not work on FR, but I think that the routine could possibly be repaired/restored.

Paired with Simba
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
Well, about the tool not recognizing the offsets written in the ini, if you put the offset of the FontGFX alone, it will give you "ROM supported but Fontwidths not specified." But once you put in the Fontwidths offset, it will have the "Run-time error".
Yeah well, if there is no example around "how it should be done", you could just leave trying there. Sounds like you've tried many different ways of approaching the task anyways.

Quote:
But thanks for helping, its just that it can be a pain in the neck manually going to the offset, export image, edit with paint, import, save, go to another offset etc. But never mind, I'll do it the hard way.
You can still export and import without a problem, unlike others
Tile Molester could be a better tool than TLP which I've been using, with no good reason really.
But at least when it comes to editing 2BPP palettes ("normal Gameboy palette") with it, you can't tell it to import palettes "right", and eventually, have to re-tile the image with the program later on. So it's even simplier to just edit the uncompressed image with TLP without exporting or importing anything.

I could totally try out Tile Molester for this matter. Just, have never felt like downloading it.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:23 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
1) Hmmmm, we could try porting his hack, he does provide all of the source code. That would be the best and easiest way.
Yuck.
Quote:
2) In Ruby there is a command called hidebox which removes the white background. This command does not work on FR, but I think that the routine could possibly be repaired/restored.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...ic#post7295572

Maybe you can use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey` View Post
Everything
Your English is very good.

Last edited by Darthatron; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Compliments!
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Is there a tool somewhere out there in the wide internet space zone that will allow me to change attacks' physical/special properties?
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
gsg229
Unhatched Egg

Hello everyone. *waves*

I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but if it isn't, then I apologize.

I want to hack Sapphire to delete the beeping sound the game makes when you move the cursor or advance a text box. How would I go about doing this?
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:29 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Oh, haha, how was I supposed to know about that:p

Do you have a better option for running scripts on a button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg229 View Post
Hello everyone. *waves*

I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but if it isn't, then I apologize.

I want to hack Sapphire to delete the beeping sound the game makes when you move the cursor or advance a text box. How would I go about doing this?
This is definitely the right place to ask questions.

There are a few different choices. You could edit that sound to be nothing. You could nop the call which plays the sound. Or, you could turn your volume off:p.

If you know where the routine/script is which plays the sound, the second choice is the easiest. If not, then the next best option is to read up on music editing, find the sound in Sappy, and replace it with a blank track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
Is there a tool somewhere out there in the wide internet space zone that will allow me to change attacks' physical/special properties?
There is a physical/special split patch floating around here somewhere. I have never personally seen it, but a lot of people use it. Because I haven't seen it, I don't know where exactly it is, but my best guess is in Resources or the Slideshow Showcase.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; April 4th, 2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Pokedude3012
Slayer of Milotics

Nature: Jolly
I'm a noob to PC and to ROM hacking, so go easy on me. I've got the top of Oak's Lab's roof and I want to edit it so I've go the top of a tree behind it. How could I do that
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
QuartierGenerale

Hi every one,

i've see in Pokepic the Weather function; it's very usefull for me because i wanna do a pokemon castform-like, changing sprite depending on weather.

The problem is that pokemon does not appear in pokedex replacing castform, and all the other sprite have a 1 color palette (black) in each weather image. I'm able to change pokemon palette but for do this i need to known the offset and i obtain it with unzl.gba; but in unzl there aren't that image or i'm not able to find it.

So anyone known how to use the weather feature of Pokepic?

Thanks a lot, bye
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
ahmad786
Unhatched Egg

Always talking about Pokemon Hacking not Any other gba rom ?
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
How can I detect when the player completes the National Pokedex? For example: There is a professor in my hack that, when you complete the National Pokedex, you can talk to him and he'll give you a prize. Is there some kind of command in XSE that will allow me to do this? Thanks in advance.
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad786 View Post
Always talking about Pokemon Hacking not Any other gba rom ?
There are hacks of other roms... But, look at the website you are on: The Pokémon Community! Of course it is going to be pokemon hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
How can I detect when the player completes the National Pokedex? For example: There is a professor in my hack that, when you complete the National Pokedex, you can talk to him and he'll give you a prize. Is there some kind of command in XSE that will allow me to do this? Thanks in advance.
There is a special used by Prof. Oak which reads (and I believe) stores the amount of Pokemon in the National Pokedex. Check JPAN's study of the special and special2 commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokedude3012 View Post
I'm a noob to PC and to ROM hacking, so go easy on me. I've got the top of Oak's Lab's roof and I want to edit it so I've go the top of a tree behind it. How could I do that
Advance Map 1.92 if you just want to insert a tree behind his house.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; April 4th, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
I am wondering how would it be possible, in fire red, to make a script that saves players current party temporary, replaces the party with new Pokes, then, later in the script, replaces it back with the original Pokes.
Like, for exemple, in RSE where you go for, say, a Battle Factory challenge...
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:03 AM
jacktheking
Hatched Egg

How do i put in Generation 4th tile into Emerald? I have find some Gen 4th .png image, but how to put it in?
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:50 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheking View Post
How do i put in Generation 4th tile into Emerald? I have find some Gen 4th .png image, but how to put it in?
There are sooo many tutorials for inserting new tiles in the Tutorial section. Go look one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
I am wondering how would it be possible, in fire red, to make a script that saves players current party temporary, replaces the party with new Pokes, then, later in the script, replaces it back with the original Pokes.
Like, for exemple, in RSE where you go for, say, a Battle Factory challenge...
Yes it is, there is a special like 0x27 and 0x28 which does exactly that. I'm not quite sure if those are the right ones, but it is about that number. Look it up in JPAN's study of the Special and Special2 commands.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; April 5th, 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:07 AM
robin22gongon

I have another questions!

1) Is there a way to do something like showitempic? You know, similar to showpokepic but shows item pics instead?

2) In JPAN's Hacked Engine, we're the PC and Pokemon Center Scripts deleted from game or just their events? If they we're deleted, is it possible restore them by compiling the original script from a clean FR Rom?
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:53 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
I have another questions!

1) Is there a way to do something like showitempic? You know, similar to showpokepic but shows item pics instead?

2) In JPAN's Hacked Engine, we're the PC and Pokemon Center Scripts deleted from game or just their events? If they we're deleted, is it possible restore them by compiling the original script from a clean FR Rom?
1) I believe that you can. There is either a special or a command that allows you to display lz compressed images on screen. Let me take a look.

2) They were just deleted becuase he cleared every script. You can just restore them from a clean rom. Remember, the PC is a behavior byte you will have to create.

Paired with Simba
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:57 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
1) I believe that you can. There is either a special or a command that allows you to display lz compressed images on screen. Let me take a look.

2) They were just deleted becuase he cleared every script. You can just restore them from a clean rom. Remember, the PC is a behavior byte you will have to create.

How do I do the second one?
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Yes it is, there is a special like 0x27 and 0x28 which does exactly that. I'm not quite sure if those are the right ones, but it is about that number. Look it up in JPAN's study of the Special and Special2 commands.
This is factually incorrect. These specials are NOT in FireRed and neither do they work like you imply they do in RSE.

In RSE, they temporarily store the first (and only the first) of your Pokémon so that it can be replaced with the tutorial Pokémon. The second special then restores the stored Pokémon.

As I said, however, these specials are absent in FR.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:41 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
This is factually incorrect. These specials are NOT in FireRed and neither do they work like you imply they do in RSE.

In RSE, they temporarily store the first (and only the first) of your Pokémon so that it can be replaced with the tutorial Pokémon. The second special then restores the stored Pokémon.

As I said, however, these specials are absent in FR.
Are you completely sure? Hukurae had worked out a way to register Pokemon in FR without ASM by taking away Pokemon from your party using this special and then giving you the Pokemon, and then restoring them. Here is the quote from JPAN in his study on specials in FireRed:
Quote:
027 updates a copy of your party at address stored at 03005008 +0x38. the number of pokemon in that party copy is stored 4 bytes before the start
028 replaces your party with the one stored with the code above. If you never used special 0x27, the party is that of the last time you loaded the game.
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, I do that a lot.

Edit: After talking it over with Jambo and Darthatron, we confirmed this by finding the actual routines for specials 27 and 28 in FireRed. They are used in the save routine in order to save your party and load your party when you exit the game.

Quote:
How do I do the second one?
The Pokecenter script is just regular scripting. To do the behavior byte, look in the documentation for JPAN's hack. I'm pretty sure it has information on creating new behavior bytes. I also know that there is a tutorial in the Tutorials section.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; April 5th, 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM
jacktheking
Hatched Egg

Quote:
There are sooo many tutorials for inserting new tiles in the Tutorial section. Go look one up.
Sorry, but can i have a link to the most easy one? I am new to hacking..
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheking View Post
Sorry, but can i have a link to the most easy one? I am new to hacking..
Here's some:

I suggest reading them all to learn every bits of it.
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Just because you are new to hacking doesn't mean your new to learning. Look it up yourself, it's more gratifying that way.

Sponsored Links