The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty

Advertise here
This is my first ever post in anywhere in the emulation forum (I have just started playing games using emulators) so please forgive me if I am asking this in the wrong place.

Whats a good hack tool to hack ROMS to mess around with evolutions. I want a Mudkip to evolve into a MewTwo.

And where's the place to post for help with this?

Thanks!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old April 17th, 2013, 05:17 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbid View Post
I have a question that has been answered already, BUT...

This one is more specific since it involves a different script from a similar one I saw earlier in this thread. This question is also in 2 parts.

1. How would I go about making a Pokemon (in this case, a Celebi) disappear once I've caught it? If I run away or beat it, it goes away, but not if I catch it. This is the script I'm working with:

Spoiler:
'---------------
#org 0x34EC00
special 0x187
compare 0x800D 0x2
if 0x1 goto 0x81A7AE0
special 0x188
lock
faceplayer
setwildbattle 0xFB 0xA 0x0
checksound
cry 0xFB 0x2
preparemsg 0x834ED00 '"Bii!"
waitmsg
waitcry
pause 0x14
playsong 0x156 0x0
waitkeypress
setflag 0x807
special 0x138
waitstate
clearflag 0x807
special2 0x800D 0xB4
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x834EE00
compare 0x800D 0x4
if 0x1 goto 0x834EF00
compare 0x800D 0x5
if 0x1 goto 0x834EF00
setflag 0x2BA
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A7AE0
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x34EE00
setflag 0x2BA
goto 0x81A922D

'---------------
#org 0x34EF00
setvar 0x8004 0xFB
goto 0x81A9236

'---------------
#org 0x1A922D
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x800F
fadescreen 0x0
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A9236
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x800F
fadescreen 0x0
bufferpokemon 0x0 0x8004
msgbox 0x81A63C4 0x4 '"The [buffer1] flew away!"
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x34ED00
= Bii!

#org 0x1A63C4
= The [buffer1] flew away!

Everything else works fine except for what I mentioned above, AND...

2. For some reason, after I put that script above, the game freezes when I enter the route Celebi's location is in (in this case, Route 2). It also freezes after catching Celebi and going back down to Viridian City. I've managed to fix it by entering and exiting a door, but I'd like to know if there's a permanent fix regardless of any door-opening or not, in case my future players don't enter and exit a house before passing the Teachy TV Man.

I would greatly appreciate any help. This is driving me insane.
1) I have said this at least 100 times: special 0xB4 gives 0x7 as the result for catching, not 0x5. I don't understand why people keep using 0x5, it doesn't work. JPAN's list of specials doesn't include it as a result and my many experiments with the command have not resulted in any idea why people use it since 0x1, 0x4, and 0x7 are all you need. (Not to sound rude, but I know I have answered this same question on this thread before. See Spherical Ice's post above.)

2) I don't know why, however I do notice that there is no check or setvar for preventing the script from running again. Could this be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu View Post
This is my first ever post in anywhere in the emulation forum (I have just started playing games using emulators) so please forgive me if I am asking this in the wrong place.

Whats a good hack tool to hack ROMS to mess around with evolutions. I want a Mudkip to evolve into a MewTwo.

And where's the place to post for help with this?

Thanks!
This is the Rom Hacking Simple Questions thread, and this is the right place, though, I'm pretty sure you didn't need to ask this, since it has been asked before (search feature is great. especially since there are over 24000 posts here and another completely archived Simple Questions thread from longer ago.)

There are many tools. YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor) and P.E. [which is inside PGE (Pokemon Game Editor)] will work the best.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; April 17th, 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Squibbid
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Thanks a lot, Karatekid. I had no idea about the 0x7 thing. The script I was using was basically the in-game Moltres script with new pointers, etc.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the setvar thing. In regards to that...

...huh?

I barely have an idea of what I'm doing and am therefore not that good yet.

Soaking up the thirst of the land

Last edited by Squibbid; April 17th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:22 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbid View Post
Thanks a lot, Karatekid. I had no idea about the 0x7 thing. The script I was using was basically the in-game Moltres script with new pointers, etc.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the setvar thing. In regards to that...

...huh?

I barely have an idea of what I'm doing and am therefore not that good yet.
Ahhh, that explains it. Game Freak screwed up and didn't use their own special right! Lol

You obviously don't want this script running every time you step on it, right? If you noticed, when you insert a new map script using the 02 or 04 settings, it asks for a flag and a value. This is actually a var and value. You see, vars are these special things that can hold numbers between 0 and 65000 (0xFFFF). They are like the "X" in math. When you insert a var into that space, the script will only run if "var = value". So, at the end of the script, you use the command "setvar" to change the var to something else so the script won't run again.

Here are some posts by DavidJCobb which list the in game uses for most vars (and flags, which makes these posts extremely valuable). There are some free ones that aren't used by the game. The only truly safe vars are those between 0x4000 and 0x40FF.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=158
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=183

-----------------------------------------------
I feel like I have typed this particular answer more than most. To anyone on here: would a tutorial detailing the usage of flags, vars, and script tiles be of an advantage?

Paired with Simba
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Stare at this dot for thirty seconds, then close your eyes for thirty more seconds.

Quickly, take a look at the title of this very thread! Your answer should be there. Only 40% of people can see this! Share if you saw it!
Ah, yes. This was great advice, except that I couldn't find something that worked for me. This tutorial was the closest thing that I found, which details how to insert trainers, including changing their palettes. But when I get to the part about APE, checking the 'Compressed Palette (L277)' box and hitting the back and forward arrows, it doesn't work. It takes me away from the offset I was using and doesn't bring me back.

Is there a tutorial out there specifically for changing the World Map palette? I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to find, or I'm missing something ridiculously obvious, since so many people succeed at editing it...the tutorial I was originally using literally says "Sooo... I didn't tell you how to change the palette, I think you can this."

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old April 17th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Squibbid
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I feel like I have typed this particular answer more than most. To anyone on here: would a tutorial detailing the usage of flags, vars, and script tiles be of an advantage?
For the love of Galactus, YES! Tutorials are always good.

Soaking up the thirst of the land
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:36 AM
robin22gongon

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Is there a way to make something like an item deposit script? Similar to a bank script but this one works on items and lets you choose what items you want to deposit.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
Is there a way to make something like an item deposit script? Similar to a bank script but this one works on items and lets you choose what items you want to deposit.
There is always a way. If you are talking about PC deposit, there is a command to put specific items in your PC. Granted this won't work as well. Your absolute best choice: look at the PC script used in Poke-Centers and extract the Players PC portion and make a new script from that.

Paired with Simba
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Sorry, I don't have the time or patience to look through 987 pages for this.

I am trying to learn how to look at scripts in an existing ROM (there are scripting errors all over the place), and was told about XSE. Where can this resource be found in its most updated form? I did find this tutorial thread, but there's no download link there.

Sorry, I'm still not adept at all the resources. I have AdvanceMap and that's it.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Sorry, I don't have the time or patience to look through 987 pages for this.

I am trying to learn how to look at scripts in an existing ROM (there are scripting errors all over the place), and was told about XSE. Where can this resource be found in its most updated form? I did find this tutorial thread, but there's no download link there.

Sorry, I'm still not adept at all the resources. I have AdvanceMap and that's it.

Cyclone
Go to Gamer2020's toolbox. There you shall find the newest version.

Also, there is a search feature on this thread, so you don't have to look through every page.

Paired with Simba
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:27 AM
hackstar
Check it out!!

Nature: Bashful
wow! really its back already?
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackstar View Post
wow! really its back already?
Yes, as you know, HackMew said that his tools could be updated, as long as they stayed open source. Gamer2020 decided to take that on and he began by fixing several bugs and uploaded it about a week ago.

Paired with Simba
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
shiny quagsire has made an asm routine that allows you to select an item from the bag and a routine that allows you to select an item from the berry bag. its in his signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
Ah, yes. This was great advice, except that I couldn't find something that worked for me. This tutorial was the closest thing that I found, which details how to insert trainers, including changing their palettes. But when I get to the part about APE, checking the 'Compressed Palette (L277)' box and hitting the back and forward arrows, it doesn't work. It takes me away from the offset I was using and doesn't bring me back.

Is there a tutorial out there specifically for changing the World Map palette? I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to find, or I'm missing something ridiculously obvious, since so many people succeed at editing it...the tutorial I was originally using literally says "Sooo... I didn't tell you how to change the palette, I think you can this."

load the world map in vba. go to the palette viewer. click on the first colour in the palette that looks like the one that your world map uses. write down the four characters that come up, but switch the first two numbers with the second two numbers. do that for all of the colours in that row. copy the data you have made. load your rom in a hex editor. look for that data. note down the offset. load your rom in ape. load the offset. edit the palette.

this is in the tutorials section. you didnt search hard enough.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Yes, as you know, HackMew said that his tools could be updated, as long as they stayed open source. Gamer2020 decided to take that on and he began by fixing several bugs and uploaded it about a week ago.
My timing is quite excellent, in that case! We have a bit of a storm here now and possible powerouts (already some elsewhere), so I'll take a look a little later. I've already promised myself that if I can't do it right I'm not touching the scripts, but I at least want to see if I can figure it out; I did take computer programming at one point in my life.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM
salianifo
Unhatched Egg

Would anybody have a FireRed decapitalization script? I'm using JPAN's hacked engine, and would like to have my text not all capitalized.
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Originally Posted by salianifo View Post
Would anybody have a FireRed decapitalization script? I'm using JPAN's hacked engine, and would like to have my text not all capitalized.
Use Wichu's Decapitalization Patch.

Although you have put it in the wrong order I guess. :/ You have to patch the decapitalization patch then Jpans engine so there won't be problems with your hack.
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM
salianifo
Unhatched Egg

Thanks, I'm just getting started on my hack, so I don't know all the little things like that yet.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

I'm not sure if var 4000 is safe to use. Even though I set it in a script, it resets when I re-enter a map. How ever I skipped the first 16 vars and 0x4010 works fine. I could be doing something wrong though, I used them on a level/map script
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:01 PM
dondon151

One quick question:

Is it possible to assign a stone evolution event to a multichoice menu option? Say that I want to make an event to evolve Eevee directly, without the player obtaining a stone. Would this be a simple script?
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
I'm not sure if var 4000 is safe to use. Even though I set it in a script, it resets when I re-enter a map. How ever I skipped the first 16 vars and 0x4010 works fine. I could be doing something wrong though, I used them on a level/map script
it is a temporary variable. just use a few higher variables, around 0x4020 - 0x40FF
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:30 PM
robin22gongon

Does nobody really know what the offset for these are?

And does anyone know the offset for the Graphics of the Battle Textbox? The one also shown above?
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Does nobody really know what the offset for these are?

And does anyone know the offset for the Graphics of the Battle Textbox? The one also shown above?
I don't know about the Pokeballs but I'm sure they're around UNLZ.

But as for the textbox read this VM conversation. http://www.pokecommunity.com/convers...19675&u2=47122
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:33 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraze View Post
I don't know about the Pokeballs but I'm sure they're around UNLZ.

But as for the textbox read this VM conversation. http://www.pokecommunity.com/convers...19675&u2=47122
Thanks Val, this is what I needed. BTW I already found those Pokeballs.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:13 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondon151 View Post
One quick question:

Is it possible to assign a stone evolution event to a multichoice menu option? Say that I want to make an event to evolve Eevee directly, without the player obtaining a stone. Would this be a simple script?
I remember reading a thread about this somewhere. It was before we knew how to make new evolutionary stones and I think Jambo came in and explained all about evolution and how it works. It is not simple, I can tell you that. It would be ten times easier just to give the player a choice of stones.

If you do want to do it the other way, you would have to call the evolution routine directly through the callasm command, but there is much setup that would have to be done.

Paired with Simba
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:35 PM
dondon151

ZodiacDaGreat's Trader Advanced editor allows one to edit the OT, ID, species, nature, IVs, ability, etc. of Pokemon received in in-game trades.

Is it possible to edit the gender of the received Pokemon?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here