Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old April 21st, 2013 (07:01 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
I'm brand new to scripting, and sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it. I'm having a problem when I try to make a new script in XSE 1.1.1. Editing old scripts works fine, but when I try to create a new one, no matter what I do, if I open the script after it is compiled I get this:

'---------------
#org 0xC3500
subvar 0xDDC2 0xFFAB
fadedefault
jumpram
gotostd 0x9

I've tried changing the offset and working with that exact offset, but I can't figure out how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 21st, 2013 (07:09 AM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
That goes in the script help thread but itz probably because youre not using free space

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old April 21st, 2013 (07:24 AM). Edited April 21st, 2013 by Archanem.

Nature: Relaxed
My bad for putting it in the wrong place, but when I use FSF and try to put the offset in it tells me that the offset isn't a valid integer.

Never mind, the problem's fixed. I didn't realize FSF needed to be in the same folder as XSE
Old April 21st, 2013 (10:07 AM).
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote originally posted by robin22gongon:
Is that what you did in your hack too?

Hey in your hack's screenshots, the grass is also animated am I right? When the player steps on it, does it play a different animation, stop moving, or just go on with the animation?
Yes I did.

The grass is animated same way as the trees, but has its behavior byte set as a normal grass tile.
Thus stepping on it, it will be ainmated and the hero will have the wild grass animation as normal.
Nothing got changed, the grass has it normal aniamtion that you are able to edit in NSE, just the animation playing in the background.
Old April 21st, 2013 (11:16 AM).
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
This has been asked various times, but never answered, from what I've searched.

Does anyone know how to set a Pokemon to start roaming in Ruby? (Like Lati@s) I can't find a script of any sort that points to it and I can't find a way to just edit Latios not being the roamer at all.

Basically, does anyone know how to make a Pokemon start roaming and if not how to replace Latios being the roamer?

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old April 21st, 2013 (11:38 AM).

When warping to a city, how do you choose which building you will exit out of?
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:42 PM).
Agent of Chaos

Quote originally posted by verysuperfamous:
When warping to a city, how do you choose which building you will exit out of?
You will take note of the warp number of the warp you want to warped into in a map.
Old April 21st, 2013 (02:01 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Golden Warrior:
This has been asked various times, but never answered, from what I've searched.

Does anyone know how to set a Pokemon to start roaming in Ruby? (Like Lati@s) I can't find a script of any sort that points to it and I can't find a way to just edit Latios not being the roamer at all.

Basically, does anyone know how to make a Pokemon start roaming and if not how to replace Latios being the roamer?
We have extensive knowledge of this in FR, but almost none in RSE. It is most likely a special, (it is in FR) used right after or during the script in the home where your mom talks about the big, rare pokemon that was spotted, which releases lati@s. I have nothing more to say or know about it.

---
Fun Fact: Game Freak lied multiple times in FR claiming that the Jhoto beasts were released after beating the Elite Four. This is FALSE. They in fact are released after giving Cielo both the Ruby and Saphhire on One Island. I found this out while answering a question a while back:p.

Paired with Simba
Old April 21st, 2013 (11:22 PM).

Quote originally posted by Shadowraze:
The gender varies from what gender the pokemon you are going to trade.

For example you gave a Male Spearow for a Farfetch'd then you will get a male Farfetch'd. It's that simple.
This is not correct for a few reasons:

1. Bulbapedia says that received Pokemon (at least in FireRed) have a fixed gender
2. Some of the nicknames given to received Pokemon have very strong feminine or masculine connotations, so it doesn't make sense that the received Pokemon's gender isn't fixed
3. I just traded a female Onix for a male Sudowoodo in my edited ROM.

Thanks for trying to help, though.
Old April 21st, 2013 (11:31 PM).
Agent of Chaos

Quote originally posted by dondon151:

1. Bulbapedia says that received Pokemon (at least in FireRed) have a fixed gender
2. Some of the nicknames given to received Pokemon have very strong feminine or masculine connotations, so it doesn't make sense that the received Pokemon's gender isn't fixed

Well if you're not gonna have that Pokemon in the game I'd say edit the Gender probability in Yape or in PGE to always male or female if you want.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (11:00 AM). Edited April 22nd, 2013 by theChief.

Nature: Docile
Is there a way to disable fly for an area via a script? For example:
you're in a town that is overrun by enemy team grunts, you need to fight your way through them and can't use fly to escape for whatever reason. However, when you return to the area later, the grunts are gone and you can fly there again.

Is there a way to do this? Or am I better off just leaving it? I know how to make the grunts disappear etc Oh an I'll be hacking Emerald.

Also, is it possible to do a double battle with an allied trainer? Like with lance in the team rocket hideout in G/S/C??
Old April 22nd, 2013 (11:23 AM).
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
I Renew my questions about.

1. Add Pokedex Entries for Empty Place Holders (252-276)
2. Add New Cry Pointers for Empty Place Holders.

But This time i want add it to Pokemon Emerald.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (01:12 PM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej:

And the answer is the same as the one I gave before. Emerald uses almost exactly the same code as Ruby and Sapphire to operate the Pokédex.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (03:20 PM).

Nature: Quirky
Hi there, I started a Rom Hack a while ago (Ruby) and I recently ran into a bit of a problem.

When viewing my maps in Advanced Map they all display correctly but when playing the Rom a lot of the colours seem to be messed up and I've tried everything I can think of short of restarting from an earlier backup.

Any ideas what might be going on?
Old April 22nd, 2013 (03:40 PM).

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by dondon151:

From my knowledge, I would say that it is randomly based on a givepokemon script. However, I have three more theorys:

1) A pokemon is created in slot one of where the opossing trainer's pokemon are stored during a battle. This pokemon is created and then nicknamed and then put in your party.

2) The pokemon is given to you, and then the game edits the nickname and gives it the proper hold item.

3) The whole pokemon's data is stored in the rom somewhere and it is just copied into your party.

If you could discover which it is, then you could manipulate the checksum and PID to force it to be a certain gender using ASM, or in the last case, just changeing some hex bytes.

As I said, these are just theorys, but one of them has got to work.

Quote originally posted by theChief:
Is there a way to disable fly for an area via a script? For example:
you're in a town that is overrun by enemy team grunts, you need to fight your way through them and can't use fly to escape for whatever reason. However, when you return to the area later, the grunts are gone and you can fly there again.

Is there a way to do this? Or am I better off just leaving it? I know how to make the grunts disappear etc Oh an I'll be hacking Emerald.

Also, is it possible to do a double battle with an allied trainer? Like with lance in the team rocket hideout in G/S/C??
Well, to prevent leaving the town by fly, you could run a map script which, when a flag is set (grunts are in the town) uses a simple ASM routine (very, very simple actually) to change the maps type for the time being to indoor. Then you can't fly!

To prevent people from flying to the town, you need to clear the map flags associated with the fly location of said town, which you can reset later.

I have no idea about the battle, but I think not.

Quote originally posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej:

Quote originally posted by Jambo51:
And the answer is the same as the one I gave before. Emerald uses almost exactly the same code as Ruby and Sapphire to operate the Pokédex.
Jambo, I love you:p, lol.

Quote originally posted by Rervilo:
Hi there, I started a Rom Hack a while ago (Ruby) and I recently ran into a bit of a problem.

When viewing my maps in Advanced Map they all display correctly but when playing the Rom a lot of the colours seem to be messed up and I've tried everything I can think of short of restarting from an earlier backup.

Any ideas what might be going on?
I believe that you may have corrupted the map palettes, which you can restore, but it will take some time and effort. The best and easiest way is to go back to a back-up and make them quite frequently.

Paired with Simba
Old April 22nd, 2013 (07:32 PM).

Is there a way to make a scenery with a picture covering the whole screen of a Pokemon Emerald? Like the usage of pokepic script but covering the whole screen or making the pokepic box larger?
Old April 22nd, 2013 (11:38 PM). Edited April 22nd, 2013 by Jambo51.
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by yozzyurubuza:
Is there a way to make a scenery with a picture covering the whole screen of a Pokemon Emerald? Like the usage of pokepic script but covering the whole screen or making the pokepic box larger?
No, not without some complex ASM. Showpokepic uses sprites, the maximum size of which is 64x64 pixels on a GBA.

The only way to do such a thing involves tile sets and tile maps and some ASM to control its display.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (11:56 PM).

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlackWhiteRobin
Quote originally posted by Jambo51:
No, not without some complex ASM. Showpokepic uses sprites, the maximum size of which is 64x64 pixels on a GBA.

The only way to do such a thing involves tile sets and tile maps and some ASM to control its display.
It's also possible for FR right?
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:58 AM).
Agent of Chaos

It's also possible for FR right?
Yes it is, by the use of cutscenes. Use this tut from Spherical Ice, http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=280558.

I do think it's possible for emerald if you're just gonna do what Spherical Ice did with FireRed. You can replace the diploma screen and the rest goes on.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (01:36 AM).

Ah yes I have a copy of that page in here with me. Even the one about adding 255 Diplomas. But can't we do something like display them order to make an illusion of animation without the press of a button?

Like this:
Display diploma1
Display diploma2
etc.

Just without pressing a button.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (01:43 AM).
Agent of Chaos

Ah yes I have a copy of that page in here with me. Even the one about adding 255 Diplomas. But can't we do something like display them order to make an illusion of animation without the press of a button?

Like this:
Display diploma1
Display diploma2
etc.

Huh, what do you mean by without pressing a button? How are you gonna activate something without pressing something.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (01:44 AM).

Like this:
Display diploma1
Display diploma2
etc.

Old April 23rd, 2013 (04:18 AM).

Won't a script event when the player steps on that block activate it?
Old April 23rd, 2013 (05:35 AM).

Like this:
Display diploma1
Display diploma2
etc.

Well, you would need to rewrite the routine which displays the diploma to loop through, each time bringing up a new image. Most likely would require some type of ASM.

Paired with Simba
Old April 23rd, 2013 (06:02 AM).
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Hello guys, I need some help. I made a simple talking script for my hack. When I open the game with VBA, talking to that person does nothing. But when I open the game with No$Gba, the script successfully works.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)