Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2013 (07:53 AM).
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
It doesn't "revert", you just put the sprite in a different location. You need to change the pointer to the old location to the new one.
Ooooooh. At least I know I wasn't doing anything majorly wrong, such as to possibly end up corrupting my rom.
Old April 28th, 2013 (07:04 PM).

This kind of thing is not that easy to search for, so I apologize if it's really obvious, but...

Is there documentation on switching types of moves (e.g., Dark, Dragon, Poison) from physical to special or vice versa in gen 3 games?
Old April 28th, 2013 (07:43 PM).
Razor Sharp

If I read correctly, move split types weren't introduced until Gen IV so all types were either defined as physical or special for all of their damage dealing moves. I haven't seen many tutorials on introducing the Gen IV move type split so you may have to do extensive research, or something.

-----
I figured out how to change a trainer's sprite finally by importing the sprite using unLZGBA, noting of the new sprite's offset (using FreeSpaceFinder for an free space offset to store it in) and of the offset of Professor Oak's sprite in the intro and then going into a hex editor and changing the pointer of the default sprite to the new one.

I was able to import the sprite, write it to the rom, change the pointer, etc without any problem. Yet, when I boot up the rom, Oak's sprite hasn't changed at all. I even tried it with a fresh base rom, no luck with that either.
Old April 28th, 2013 (08:52 PM).

No, I meant that I wanted to switch all Dark moves from special to physical, or all Poison moves from physical to special, etc.
Old April 28th, 2013 (09:06 PM).

Is there a way to import the exact very old BGM from 1st and 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen? I can convert the following into mp3 and turn it into midi but it is not going to be exactly the same that I wanted to be.
Old April 28th, 2013 (09:26 PM).
Razor Sharp

Still, the gen IV move type split and switching all moves of a certain type are pretty similar methods. You could do either, really.
What I'm getting to is...
I tried looking for what you specified, nothing in tutorials or R&D. Although, I could of sworn I saw a gen IV move type split hack in Gen III research thread in R&D a couple of days ago, if that helps.

@yozzyurubuza: My only hunch there is to use a tool to export the music files (maybe as raw), MAYBE convert them, and re-import them into a Gen III rom, with a tool and/or hex editing.
Old April 28th, 2013 (10:59 PM).
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by dondon151:
No, I meant that I wanted to switch all Dark moves from special to physical, or all Poison moves from physical to special, etc.
One solution, though unpretty, requires the P/S Split, so patch it on to your FR/Em
Then, just assign all Dark moves to Physical, and all other moves to their rightful type special thingy.
It's quite simple actually.
Live Pokedex (Y) Completed as of 02/03/14 (718), 10/11/14 (719)
Live Pokedex (OR) Completed as of 25/12/14 (719)
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Old April 29th, 2013 (01:09 AM). Edited April 29th, 2013 by dondon151.

Surely there must be a simpler method, though? Given how the types themselves are assigned a certain physical/special identity, then I would assume that there is some overarching mechanism, table, etc. that determines whether all moves in a certain type are physical or special. But I mean, I might just be wrong here.

While I'm at it, I have another question: is there any way to set a certain map's weather to strong sunlight by default? The setweather commands only seem to include weathers that induce rain or sandstorm.
Old April 29th, 2013 (02:22 AM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Jambo51:
Code:
if (genderRatio != 0xFF)
{
    if ((PID & 0xFF) < genderRatio)
    {
        return female;
    }
    else
    {
        return male;
    }
}
else
{
    return genderless;
}
That's how gender is calculated in the Gen 3 games. When you use actual ASM to implement such checks, it is sadly very clunky and long winded.

Could you explain that to me please? How exactly would I call this and make sure a certain pokemon does this instead of them all?

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old April 29th, 2013 (02:42 AM).
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
I want some help. I tried hacking Ruby now. I tried to edit the trainer backsprites in NSE. I changed the palette in APE, the image in NSE and it looks fine in NSE, But when I test it in the game, the palette is screwed up.

Old April 29th, 2013 (04:01 AM). Edited April 29th, 2013 by LaDestitute.
Razor Sharp

Quote originally posted by Aryan143:
I want some help. I tried hacking Ruby now. I tried to edit the trainer backsprites in NSE. I changed the palette in APE, the image in NSE and it looks fine in NSE, But when I test it in the game, the palette is screwed up.
I'm actually having the same problem with Red's sprite in the intro of FR, along with that I can't replace Oak's greyscale sprite in NSE while I can with Red, Rival's, the girl, etc.
Old April 29th, 2013 (04:48 AM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Surely there must be a simpler method, though? Given how the types themselves are assigned a certain physical/special identity, then I would assume that there is some overarching mechanism, table, etc. that determines whether all moves in a certain type are physical or special. But I mean, I might just be wrong here.
No, there's not. It's a straight up compare, and the types are organised such that Physical is under 8 and Special is over 9. You'd have to rewrite the code entirely, or even just add an extra compare, to wholesale set Dark to physical, or any such change.

While I'm at it, I have another question: is there any way to set a certain map's weather to strong sunlight by default? The setweather commands only seem to include weathers that induce rain or sandstorm.
If you're talking about FR, this weather type is actually broken, it doesn't work (crashes the game on use).
Old April 29th, 2013 (04:52 AM).
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Hi everyone, I'm following both Links and Jambo's tut on adding new flight spots/healing places but when ever I try to test this when I white out I get a black screen. Everything seems to be followed correctly, i can heal in the center. I have set the healing place to 0x15 but this doesn't work still.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot.
Old April 29th, 2013 (06:13 AM).
The Fennekin Fan!

Quote originally posted by LaDestitute:
I'm actually having the same problem with Red's sprite in the intro of FR, along with that I can't replace Oak's greyscale sprite in NSE while I can with Red, Rival's, the girl, etc.
So have anyone found any way to fix it? My problem is only for Ruby because I inserted the backsprites as well as the Intro Sprites in DR2 so it not for FR.

Old April 29th, 2013 (07:24 AM).
Razor Sharp

Quote originally posted by Aryan143:
So have anyone found any way to fix it? My problem is only for Ruby because I inserted the backsprites as well as the Intro Sprites in DR2 so it not for FR.
Still having the issue of a messed up palette but I opened up a separate but fresh FR rom with NSE, only to find it wouldn't let me replace the greyscale intro sprites with my own. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it might be the way I'm making my custom intro sprites greyscale.
Old April 29th, 2013 (07:39 AM).
The Fennekin Fan!

Quote originally posted by LaDestitute:
Still having the issue of a messed up palette but I opened up a separate but fresh FR rom with NSE, only to find it wouldn't let me replace the greyscale intro sprites with my own. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it might be the way I'm making my custom intro sprites greyscale.
Its better to not use NSE for Intro sprites. Just use unlz-gba for them. You can VM me if you want to know the whole process of inserting.

Old April 29th, 2013 (02:10 PM).

any good alternatives than advance map for Mac?
Old April 29th, 2013 (02:44 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Chinchou(+_+):
any good alternatives than advance map for Mac?
Elite Map is the only other alternative, but it is old and probably still won't work. I haven't experimented much with Macs, but some of the hackers use Wine. I don't know if A-map is compatible, but you can give it a try.

Paired with Simba
Old April 29th, 2013 (03:56 PM).
Crystal Tier

Like LaDestitute, I use Paint.NET.

But of course, GIMP is good, and Photoshop is good for tiling.

But here's a link to a Standalone Windows XP version of Paint, which support indexed images very well:
Old April 29th, 2013 (04:26 PM).
Razor Sharp

Okay, I managed to successfully change the intro sprites using unLZGBA+APE, but in-game, the palettes of Oak/Hero/Heroine/Rival are all messed up...so I'm back at a dead end.
Old April 29th, 2013 (11:49 PM).
Crystal Tier

Just wondering... Is there a way to increase the number of blocks in Tileset 0 by AdvanceMap? AdvanceMap's block editor does support increasing tileset sizes, but does not seem to be able to do so for the primary tileset.
Old April 30th, 2013 (02:17 AM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

It's already max size because if you put it as the second tileset in the map header it doesnt make it bigger anyway

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old April 30th, 2013 (02:47 PM).
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Crystal Tier

Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Could someone be my sensei and teach me all about coding in hack making? I've been wanting to make my own Pokemon hacks for years but I've never been able to make one. And the ones I do make are always full of glitches, that I can't seem to fix. I'd credit you in any hack I make. If you need paying I'd pay you to teach me.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
Old April 30th, 2013 (02:51 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Konekodemon:
Could someone be my sensei and teach me all about coding in hack making? I've been wanting to make my own Pokemon hacks for years but I've never been able to make one. And the ones I do make are always full of glitches, that I can't seem to fix. I'd credit you in any hack I make. If you need paying I'd pay you to teach me.
Sure, I could teach you, I guess.

Just add me on Skype.
Old April 30th, 2013 (07:15 PM).
Razor Sharp

Okay, got past the issue of editing the intro sprites.

Two questions:
1. How would I change a Pokemon's hatch rate to instant and then back to normal? I want the starters in my hack to hatch from eggs, but not have it where their able to abuse the idea to get instant starters later on.

2. How would I make an item that either has an affect only on a certain Pokemon, or can be held only by said Pokemon and that the held item changes their battle/icon sprites? I have a hermit crab Pokemon that can swap out shells for stat boosts, while their defense stats are normally low without one.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)