The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:31 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomlords View Post
Perhaps somebody can help me. I'm trying to change the background color of the Pokemon Selection Screen on Ruby version. I found a tutorial telling me how to. I exported the Background Palette from the Palette Viewer in VBA, and tried to import it using Advanced Palette Editor. However, after all the palettes are in, and I click Search, APE says "Palette not found". The palette came directly from the game. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong, the way the palette has been constructed in the ROM is the problem. Palettes 1 and 2 on the party screen share many of the same colours and have been somewhat merged. Naturally this means that the palette has deviated from how its normally supposed to look.

You will need to open your ROM in a Hex Editor and change the palette manually. If you search for the string '6F 00 3A 44 0C 91 0C' you should find an instance at 0xE716BF, this is the beginning of the dark green background's palette. You'll notice that there are numerous random additions that shouldn't be in palette such as the 00 I italicised in that string. This is the result of merging two palettes together and explains why you couldn't find a clean version of the palette in APE. Anyway, just change the values you want there, keeping in mind that VBA reverses the the Hex values as they appear in Hex editors (e.g 0x1234 in VBA's palette viewer becomes '34 12' in an editor).

You can also find the blue Pokemon background 'cards' at 0xE716E7 and partially at 0xE71750 (When you are selecting them or not respectively).

Also, yay 1000 posts~
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:04 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Can I ask 2 questions?

1) If I'm using JPAN's FR Engine or his Clean Patch, is it safe to use any flag since all other scripts were deleted?

2) When I'm using the FR Engine and make a Script Event in A-Map (The green tile thingy with an S in the middle), it freezes. Why is that? I just applied the patch and nothing else touched except the Script event.
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:38 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
Can I ask 2 questions?

1) If I'm using JPAN's FR Engine or his Clean Patch, is it safe to use any flag since all other scripts were deleted?

2) When I'm using the FR Engine and make a Script Event in A-Map (The green tile thingy with an S in the middle), it freezes. Why is that? I just applied the patch and nothing else touched except the Script event.
1) It is safe to use the flags from deleted events. He did not make any new flags which are safe.

2) Did you remember to fill out the var and value fields? Also, did you test the script with a person event?

Paired with Simba
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:07 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
1) It is safe to use the flags from deleted events. He did not make any new flags which are safe.

2) Did you remember to fill out the var and value fields? Also, did you test the script with a person event?
1) Okay! That's good to hear!

2) I did test it on a person event and it worked. But I don't know what this Var and Value Fields though...
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:58 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
1) Okay! That's good to hear!

2) I did test it on a person event and it worked. But I don't know what this Var and Value Fields though...
2) Yeah, that is what I thought. On the s-tile properties in A-map, you should see a space to put a Var and then below it, a space to put a Value. The script will only run, if and only if, the var equals the value and the var must be within 4000-40FF (Unless you hacked the var saving routine to make more vars safe...:p).

Paired with Simba
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Nature: Relaxed
Hey everyone! I'm editing the title screen for Fire-red.
Does anyone here know the offset in APE for the flames?

Or how to edit the colours of the fire a different way?

Gy
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:47 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
2) Yeah, that is what I thought. On the s-tile properties in A-map, you should see a space to put a Var and then below it, a space to put a Value. The script will only run, if and only if, the var equals the value and the var must be within 4000-40FF (Unless you hacked the var saving routine to make more vars safe...:p).
Can you show me some kind of screenshot 'cause I'm kinda clueless here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrath View Post
Hey everyone! I'm editing the title screen for Fire-red.
Does anyone here know the offset in APE for the flames?

Or how to edit the colours of the fire a different way?

Gy
I'm guessing 3BF7CC. Tell me if it's wrong.

Last edited by robin22gongon; May 10th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

It's wrong, or at least I think it is.

It's just coming up with Green colours.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:13 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Can you show me some kind of screenshot 'cause I'm kinda clueless here.
Unfortuantely, I do not have access to A-map. Click on your s-tile, then look at its settings to the right. There, in the middle, there will be a box labeled var.

Paired with Simba
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:38 AM
TweenyTodd
Quitting cuz i got a job

Nature: Sassy
Is there a way to move the pokemon names tables in FireRed? A lot of the names I'm trying to put in just won't fit. I know where its at, but I can't find a pointer to it:
0x245eC7 is Bulbasaur's name.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweenyTodd View Post
Is there a way to move the pokemon names tables in FireRed? A lot of the names I'm trying to put in just won't fit. I know where its at, but I can't find a pointer to it:
0x245eC7 is Bulbasaur's name.
Even if you do move it, you will have problems. The game is only going to load the original character limit unless you change the loading routine. Well, I'm not 100% sure, but that is the most logical thing that will happen.

Paired with Simba
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:00 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
Are there any guides or R&D threads on porting R/S's berry tree system and real-time clock to Firered?

@robin22gongon:
For script events to work, you have to set the Unknown field to 300 (or 03 if 1.9.5 or later) and the Variable number field to 4000.
You just have to, as it apparently makes them work and I haven't really gotten any concrete answers as to why you have to do this.
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:30 PM
TweenyTodd
Quitting cuz i got a job

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
The game is only going to load the original character limit unless you change the loading routine.
Well how could I do that? I got a lot of extra time on my hands and it seems like a useful thing to do.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:01 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
Are there any guides or R&D threads on porting R/S's berry tree system and real-time clock to Firered?

@robin22gongon:
For script events to work, you have to set the Unknown field to 300 (or 03 if 1.9.5 or later) and the Variable number field to 4000.
You just have to, as it apparently makes them work and I haven't really gotten any concrete answers as to why you have to do this.
This is not 100% accurate. First of all, the 03 is not necessary. It is only used because Game Freak does it, but no one has found a purpose and it doesn't make a difference when not used (I never use it, becuase I don't remember:p).

Var 0x4000 is a temp var like 0x800D. This means that it could have another value in it and if it does, the script won't run. So, this could be a problem. He needs to use a stationary var that he knows the value of.

I don't think so, but we have DNS for the real-time clock and the berry system may be need ASM. Why not use the search button in R&D and tutorials????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweenyTodd View Post
Well how could I do that? I got a lot of extra time on my hands and it seems like a useful thing to do.
Steps:

1) Learn ASM of you haven't already.

2) Use breakpoints and searching knizz IDB file (of you have access to IDA pro) to find the routine that loads names.

3) Hack it to load more charactors.

Edit: Also, you may want to increase nickname length? That would be much harder since you would have to relocate ram. Definitely much, much more difficult.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; May 10th, 2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
This is not 100% accurate. First of all, the 03 is not necessary. It is only used because Game Freak does it, but no one has found a purpose and it doesn't make a difference when not used (I never use it, becuase I don't remember:p).

Var 0x4000 is a temp var like 0x800D. This means that it could have another value in it and if it does, the script won't run. So, this could be a problem. He needs to use a stationary var that he knows the value of.
Okay, now this is more confusing. So what do I really put in?
In Var Number, what do I put in? Can I put 4000 or 4001 there?

In Var Value, what do I put in? Can I put 0001 or something like that? I noticed on a clean FR Rom most Script Events use that.

And a new question, is there a way to make boulders pushable without using Strength?
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:39 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I have been meaning to ask this for a long time now.
I hope anyone can help me shed some light on this.

But what exactly are the difference between .sav and .sgm saved files?
I can load the .sav file just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to load the .sgm file.
Are they different from the settings of our emulator?

Thanks~
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:50 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Okay, now this is more confusing. So what do I really put in?
In Var Number, what do I put in? Can I put 4000 or 4001 there?

In Var Value, what do I put in? Can I put 0001 or something like that? I noticed on a clean FR Rom most Script Events use that.

And a new question, is there a way to make boulders pushable without using Strength?
god I need to write that tutorial on Vars, Flags, and Script Tiles that has been on the backburner for months.

A var. You know vars. The vars we script with. We have been over this before. The only safe vars are the non-temp ones that are between 0x4000 and 0x40FF. Check DavidJCobbs posts to find what each one does and if there are free ones:

The script will only run if the var is set to the value. So, if you want the script to run after an event, set the value to 01 and then when that event ends, set the var to 01. Now it matches what you put in A-map, and the next time the player steps on the tile, the script will run.

Try looking at the boulder script. I'm sure you can figure this one out.

Paired with Simba
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

I can load the .sav file just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to load the .sgm file.

Thanks~
I'm not sure, I've never seen this file let alone have it. Do you need the file for something specific or just wondering what it's for?
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:52 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

Thanks~
.SAV is the file produced by the rom itself (essentially) and serves as the same save file you find on a regular cartridge. All emulators can load this.

.SGM is essentially a ram snapshot used to load the game. I believe each emulator compresses these differently, which is why only the emulator that created it can load it, unless the emulator has compatibility with other emulators.

Paired with Simba
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:23 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
god I need to write that tutorial on Vars, Flags, and Script Tiles that has been on the backburner for months.

A var. You know vars. The vars we script with. We have been over this before. The only safe vars are the non-temp ones that are between 0x4000 and 0x40FF. Check DavidJCobbs posts to find what each one does and if there are free ones:

The script will only run if the var is set to the value. So, if you want the script to run after an event, set the value to 01 and then when that event ends, set the var to 01. Now it matches what you put in A-map, and the next time the player steps on the tile, the script will run.

Try looking at the boulder script. I'm sure you can figure this one out.
Okay. Sorry to bother. It's just that this is what made me confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552
Oh and, why does on a clean FR Rom and an FR Rom with JPAN's Clean Patch, it works? Did JPAN's Engine touch the parts of Script Events?

Last edited by robin22gongon; May 10th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
I can't find an answer to this so I'll ask here.

Everytime I try to open my game in Advanced IntroEd , I get this: 'Runtime Error 380': Invalid Property Value. This was a Ruby (AXVE) rom. All I want to do is remove the opening truck ASM. So is there some way to fix the error or remove the ASM without the tool?

Thanks in advance.

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Warrior View Post
I can't find an answer to this so I'll ask here.

Everytime I try to open my game in Advanced IntroEd , I get this: 'Runtime Error 380': Invalid Property Value. This was a Ruby (AXVE) rom. All I want to do is remove the opening truck ASM. So is there some way to fix the error or remove the ASM without the tool?

Thanks in advance.
Apply the "hack" to an unedited Ruby (AXVE) rom, make an ips-patch (between that hack that is has been applied to and an unedited rom), and patch that hack to your "main" hack rom.

That will work, in case the editor supports Ruby (AXVE) rom that is.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
nalacar
Unhatched Egg

Hopefully someone can answer this as I cannot find it anywhere.

Is it possible to set a trainers pokemon to a variable rather than a predetermined pokemon? (set their pokemon to pre-set variable named 'poke' rather than '0x06').

I am trying to create a script which will allow the player to give another trainer his/her pokemon and then battle them and return their pokemon afterwards.
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:25 AM
horcruxrocks
Pokemon Lover

Nature: Brave
Hey Pokemon Lovers
M having some problems in mapping stuff.
Please help me out
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now the problem is that when i first go frm littletown downwards to go into that new map it just directly goes i mean there is no house or something that comes when we go from one city to another.So how to solve that.Here are the map connection settings of 1st and 2nd map respectively.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now another problem of map is this :

Spoiler:

Why are these grey tiles coming?Whats wrong

Here's my map in A-Map
Spoiler:

Please Help.

Moreover suppose i created a map with name Rose Valley and then i inserted it.
It is registered as 0.57 but the problem is that the name of the LITTLEROOT TOWN is copied to my map's name and when i change it's name then the name of LITTLEROOT also changes.
Please explain me how to solve all these problems

Thanks in advance
-Horcrux
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalacar View Post
Hopefully someone can answer this as I cannot find it anywhere.

Is it possible to set a trainers pokemon to a variable rather than a predetermined pokemon? (set their pokemon to pre-set variable named 'poke' rather than '0x06').

I am trying to create a script which will allow the player to give another trainer his/her pokemon and then battle them and return their pokemon afterwards.
Not without significant ASM hacks, no. I've only seen one such application of what you want, and it's in the trainer house in Viridian City in Liquid Crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcruxrocks View Post
Now the problem is that when i first go frm littletown downwards to go into that new map it just directly goes i mean there is no house or something that comes when we go from one city to another.So how to solve that.Here are the map connection settings of 1st and 2nd map respectively.
If you want a gatehouse, you need to map one and add all the events to it, including the warps. Why on earth would a connection type be a gatehouse?

Quote:
Spoiler:

Why are these grey tiles coming?Whats wrong

Here's my map in A-Map
Spoiler:

You need to assign border tiles to the map. Look in the top right corner of the mapping screen, and you will see a little black box asking for border tiles. Simply select the tiles you want to use and click in the border tiles box.

Quote:
Moreover suppose i created a map with name Rose Valley and then i inserted it.
It is registered as 0.57 but the problem is that the name of the LITTLEROOT TOWN is copied to my map's name and when i change it's name then the name of LITTLEROOT also changes.
Instead of renaming in the renaming box, click the drop down menu which is right beside it (on the left) and simply select your map name from it.

Sponsored Links