The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Tutorials

Notices

Tutorials Looking for a guide to help you out? Then you're in the right place! We've got everything you need, ranging from Mapping to Music!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed. The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Okay, there are many ways in which you can edit a tileset. I will explain three.

For those looking to edit pallettes, this tutorial does not teach you how. Look somewhere else for a tutorial that teaches you how to do that.
.: 1 - AdvanceMap :.
Note: This way produces a lot more errors than the latter.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need AdvanceMap, the ROM of your choice, and a paint program.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM in AdvanceMap, go to the map that has the tileset you want to edit, and go to the block editor.

~Step Three~
While in the block editor, choose the pallette of the building you want to insert.

~Step Four~
While still in the block editor, go to Picture (It is in the upper-left corner). While there, go to Save Tileset 1 or 2 (Depending on which one you want to edit).

~Step Five~
Open the tileset you just saved. Insert the building, and use the eyedropper tool to make sure the tile has the correct colors. It is very importanat thet the colors are correct. Now, save the tileset.

~Step Six~
In the AdvanceMap block editor, go to Picture. Go to Load Tileset 1/2 (Depending on which on which one you saved and edited). The new tileset should appear. If not, go to Pictures, then to Reload Blocks.

~Step Seven~
Edit the blocks. Also, if needed, fix the map footer. There! Your done!

.: 2 - TileLayer Pro :.
This is the safest, but hardest way to edit tiles.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need unLZ-GBA, the ROM of your choice, guide tiles, and TileLayer Pro.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM with unLZ. Open the tileset. (To do this, you may need to run a Deep Scan)

~Step Three~
Go to File, then go to Raw Dump. When it says Save As, click on the down arrow where it says RAW, and select All files. Save it as X.gba, where X is a different name than the ROM (It is important that you save it as a .gba file. That way, TLP recognizes it.)

~Step Four~
Open the new raw dump (X.gba). Also, open Paint with the tile you want to edit, and find a guide tile (Or tiles).

~Step Five~
Edit the tiles, then save as X.raw. Open unLZ, then go to the tileset. Go to Load Raw and choose X.raw. When the check boxes appear, check all of them except Abort If Data Is Bigger. There! Your done!

.: 3 - unLZ and Paint :.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need unLZ-GBA, the ROM of your choice, guide tiles, and Paint.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM with unLZ. Open the tileset. (To do this, you may need to run a Deep Scan)

~Step Three~
Find the correct pallette (If you cannot find the correct pallette of the tile you want to replace, then find a 16-color pallette. You will need to use a guide tile for this). Click on Save As...

~Step Four~
Open the tileset in Paint. Then insert the tile, making sure it is properly alligned with the other tiles. Then use the eydropper tool to make sure it has the right colors. Then save the tileset.

~Step Five~
In unLZ, go to the tileset. Make sure the pallette is the same as when you saved the tileset. Then click on import. There! Your done!

.: Notes :.

~Due to differences in ROM dumps, I just generalized instead of giving specific Goto numbers and Pallette numbers.

~A guide tile is a tile that shows what the colors of TLP are in-game. For example, if replacing a mountain tile, you would use the pre-existing mountain tile to guide what colors you would need to insert the new tile as.

Last edited by Alistair; April 5th, 2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added new thing
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
.houndoomed
Trainer

It works, but when I open the tileset up to edit it, everything's a weird color and mixed up..

I'm using Advance Map by the way.
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Could you upload the picture? Also, did you make sure to save it as a DIB?
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
.houndoomed
Trainer

Yeah, I did save it as DIB.
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

That is normal. The block editor was set to pallette 0, which is the greenery pallette. If you wanted to edit something else in a different pallette, than you will need to change the pallette to the correct one.
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
.houndoomed
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Patch View Post
That is normal. The block editor was set to pallette 0, which is the greenery pallette. If you wanted to edit something else in a different pallette, than you will need to change the pallette to the correct one.
I understand now, thanks :D
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
D-Trogh
Dead

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to D-Trogh
A pallete editing tutorial would be nice.. I know how to change palletes..
Well.. I used to, I forgot (Damn.. I really need to start hacking again)
But editing the Tileset palletes just looks more complicated :-\
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
foofatron
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to foofatron
When I try to load this in advanced map it says palatete not found what does that mean?
Attached Images
File Type: png Copy of dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeft.png‎ (15.6 KB, 253 views)
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

You are trying to add more colors than there are in the pallette, which is not possible.
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
foofatron
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to foofatron
I made a new one with the eye droper and still says mising pallette.Look
Attached Images
File Type: png sdd newer.png‎ (15.2 KB, 191 views)
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
zak
xpert trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to zak
a quik question

see the main tileset for ruby , wen you edit it and change the size you cant re-insert it bcoz its bigger, is there anyway you can insert it wen it is bigger? or you gota keep it the same size?
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

No, it is the correct size. I have no clue what is wrong.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM
$_$
?????????

Send a message via AIM to $_$
But how do you edit the pleate. (I spelled that wrong.)
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:57 PM
ash2000
Beginning Trainner/Hacker

how come for some other games the tilesets are diferent.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

@ $_$: This is a tileset editing tutorial, not a pallette editing tutorial.

@ Ash2000: There are many different dumps and each dump has the raq data arranged differently.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Hedgehogger
Learning ASM, but struggling

Nature: Quiet
Nice tutorial here; I just edited the grass tiles to my own customs, but, how do you edit the frames of a moving tile (Like when you step through grass, flowers, etc.) because the old grass appears when stepped through.
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Swimmer♂
Glub! Glub! Glub!

I am completely lost i wanted to edit the sootopolis tileset so i went to picture and the save tileset 2 but it only saved a tiny section of the tileset! plz help cos i really dunno wots going on!!
Sootopolis.png
Thanks in advance!
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

@ Hedghogger: I do not know how to do that, but I imagine you find it in unLZ.gba. (If you do, follow thw steps for the TLP Tileset editing tutorial)

@Speedonh: Did you try enlarging the tileset, and/or did you try to insert tiles with the wrong pallette?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
marz
ô.o
Community Supporter Tier 2

So, there's no way to do this without needing to re-color the tiles you want to insert to match the palette, right? If so, that's gonna be hard.

EDIT: Don, how come when I put in the tile, it just looks like this on AdvanceMap's Tile Editor:

Last edited by marz; March 2nd, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Swimmer♂
Glub! Glub! Glub!

Quote:
@Speedonh: Did you try enlarging the tileset, and/or did you try to insert tiles with the wrong pallette?
How do you enlarge the tileset and btw i was trying to export the tileset for editing not import it. also i have the same problem for the 2nd tilesets on any map, so, can you help me plz?
Thankyou
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Spheal
Project Shinx
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by marz View Post
So, there's no way to do this without needing to re-color the tiles you want to insert to match the palette, right? If so, that's gonna be hard.

EDIT: Don, how come when I put in the tile, it just looks like this on AdvanceMap's Tile Editor:
The tile's colors don't match with the palette's.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

@Speedonh: Hmmm... If you just put tiles on the sheet (Tiled properly, I might add), it should turn up (And make sure to make them the proper pallette).

@Marz: Christos answered it for me. (I still sent you a PM, though)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Swimmer♂
Glub! Glub! Glub!

Quote:
@Speedonh: Hmmm... If you just put tiles on the sheet (Tiled properly, I might add), it should turn up
how do i put the tiles on a sheet an tile them properly? sorry if i'm being a pain but i really want to learn how to "tile" btw thanks for your help so far!
Thankyou
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

What I mean by that is place the tiles on the sheet so they properly appear in AM. The tiles are 8x8 pixels. So, in oreder to tile properly, you need to figure out where the tiles need to go so they appear correctly in AM.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Swimmer♂
Glub! Glub! Glub!

Quote:
What I mean by that is place the tiles on the sheet so they properly appear in AM. The tiles are 8x8 pixels. So, in oreder to tile properly, you need to figure out where the tiles need to go so they appear correctly in AM.
but how do i put the tiles on a sheet if i can't save the tileset that i want to edit? i think what may also be another problem is that i downloaded a tileset (not to use but to look at) and now every time i go into block editor that tileset appears on the right along with the messed up sootopolis set i posted earlier. also every time i try to save tileset 0 (the standard one) i get a DIB of the tileset that i downloaded instead. plz help and i'm really sorry if i'm getting annoying. thanks for all your help so far and beyond!
Thanks
-Speedo_nh-
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links