• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Knut, a baby polar bear, should be killed, say some animal activists

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
Years
Knut is a cute baby Polar Bear at the Berlin Zoo. (First one born there in over 30 years.) He was rejected by his mother so he is being raised by humans and some people want him dead. Luckily the zoo will not hear of such a thing. What do you think? I think Knut should live. I don't see the harm.

Knut Should Be Killed, Say Some Animal Activists

Berlin's polar bear cub Knut is more famous than ever. Even star photographer Annie Leibovitz has been to take his picture. But not everyone loves the little bear. Animal rights activists want him put to sleep because he has been raised on a bottle.
source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,472480,00.html

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Wolfgang Apel said:
Making bears into humans has to stop as soon as possible, but we cannot put him to sleep. He has a right to live.
That's exactly what I was gonna say. He has the right to live, it's as simple as that.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I find it highly ironic that the "animal rights" activists obviously don't have the animal's best interests in mind.

Guest123_x1

Just how can any "animal activist/rights advocate" want to have any animal killed?

This world is going totally nonsense, really...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Why is it only not okay to kill animals that are cute. Honestly, if it were a naked mole rat that could tap dance it would not be the same situation, I assure you.

Persona

Banned
Years
How can these animal activists which claims to love and care for animals decide on thier own free will that this bear must be killed? Once again, the fate of an animal lies in the hands of human beings. We are the caretakers here, so why should we put down something that is living and not grant the polar bear an opportunity to live? They should start to think about the welfare of animals in the world and not about their own agenda mixed with politics.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I can see putting it to sleep if it were seriously injured or incapable of living comfortably but...just because it's not living naturally like other bears is meaningless; it's still perfectly healthy despite being raised by human hand. I don't agree with this at all.

I am surprised to hear it's happened before with other animals, however. I mean, I know it's not "natural" to be fully dependent on zookeepers but...it's not like they're going to be out in the wild anyway if they're raised to be kept in containment at the zoo. I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is. o_o;

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
The activists should first criticize themselves why they're using manmade electronic products and visiting the supermarket for food instead of hunting for them like what 'nature intended them to be.'

Seriously... great if they can live on their own, but if they can't, then we just kill them off? Pandas basically leech off humans now with only less than 100 of them in the wild to reproduce with biologists' help in order to withstand extinction... nobody complained about them huh >>;

It's just one of those things where when you get too famous, *somebody* will want you to die or sue you for billions, even if you are an animal and not a famous human being.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2019
I think the idea of putting him to sleep is just absurd and shouldn't even be thought of. Like Lightning said, he shouldn't just be killed because he has been brought up by humans.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
Living things are here for a reason, and everyone has the right to live. It's just too bad a lot if people doesn't appreciate what only Earth has that no other planet does.

Gunn

horror resident
Years
Well, if the mother doesn't want it, I don't see the use of it for humans. But truthfully, I am indifferent in this situation. Live or die, I don't care. I feel more on the animal activist side though.

UH I MEAN. He is the kawaii-whatever-desu! He shouldn't be killed! ) ' :

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
Yeah, let's kill off an animal that's already rapidly heading towards extinction, good call there Animal rights guys.

Why in God's name would you kill an animal because humans are caring for it? It's still a Polar Bear.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Well, if the mother doesn't want it, I don't see the use of it for humans. But truthfully, I am indifferent in this situation. Live or die, I don't care. I feel more on the animal activist side though.

UH I MEAN. He is the kawaii-whatever-desu! He shouldn't be killed! ) ' :
Well, for one, it's going to be displayed in a zoo, so it does have use to humans, even if it's just to generate money from paying visitors. It's a polar bear--an animal--so people will come to see it. I don't see how its being raised by humans can change that. I'd assume killing any healthy animal would be detrimental to a zoo.

But then, I really have no idea how zoos work. XD

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
Most zoos have banned stuff like that. You can only feed animals on special attractions in England now. Not sure about Germany though.

Jolty-kun

Years
I've heard of loads of cases like this, there should be something to sort this situation before the baby animla can get even moe stressed. Because more than one time or another, I've saw a baby animal get rejected by it's Mother. And sometimes I've saw it get put to sleep, and sometimes I have saw humans raising it.

Yes, humans CAN raise it, but it would take a lot of effort to be brought into the world like all the others, with no mother, and just humans to guide it through the world. If I would of been in that position, I swear I'd be lost. o_o; But then again, if humans have enough dedication to bring the Knut by itself, then they should, it shouldn't be left out like this.

Gunn

horror resident
Years
Most zoos have banned stuff like that. You can only feed animals on special attractions in England now. Not sure about Germany though.

Uh, I didn't mean it like that. It was just a bit of a reminder on how much I appear apathetic about it. I mean, what zoo would allow food throwing? :/

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
thats like saying if some kid got abonded by his mother and was raised by a family of chimps we will kill him!

<lets all go kill tarzan and george!>
and they call themselfs animal whatever activists

Back