The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: How do you think the game is going?
Excellent so far. 172 51.65%
It's looking great. 98 29.43%
Not too bad... 23 6.91%
OMG IT SUCKS 40 12.01%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Darksun
triple rainbow, yo

Location: 22nd floor of the Carrot Tower in Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
Nature: Relaxed
Awesome little demo you got there, Houndoomed. I've found
some bugs, but I'm not going to write them down here, cuz you already know most of them, I think. The new Lance sprite is sooo cool. I'm really looking forward to the DP graphics, and yeah, the new demo. You have gotten a new Scarlet supporter.
I wish you good luck with the project! : DD

(Sorry for my bad grammar, english isn't my first language.)

Old July 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Lorem Ipsum

Darksun; thank you for your comments on the game.

Don't worry about your grammar either; I wouldn't have known that English wasn't your first language if you hadn't told me.

Click on the banner above to take a look at the fangame I lead, Pokémon Acanthite!
We desperately, desperately need Fakemon and tile spriters!
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Awesome, thanks! And I cannot wait to see future updates Houndoomed!

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Darksun
triple rainbow, yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorem Ipsum View Post
Darksun; thank you for your comments on the game.

Don't worry about your grammar either; I wouldn't have known that English wasn't your first language if you hadn't told me.
Thanks.
But, are you or Houndoomed making the game? Did he hand it over to you or something like that?
And one other thing, how can I make the game start at screen size 240x160
instead of 480x320 like in Scarlet?

Old July 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Lorem Ipsum

To change the screen size, you select it in the options, and save the game.

Click on the banner above to take a look at the fangame I lead, Pokémon Acanthite!
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Darksun
triple rainbow, yo

Taken over? Okey. : D
When I'm making my own game with Pokèmon Essentials,
I'm changing the screen size in option and then saving? Sorry, but I don't understand.

Old July 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Pokepal2007
angels awakening

Nature: Calm
im not sure what both of you mean but i think you are both spamming

im not sure

Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

[center]
Name: Hevaa Guardian
Mascot of Pokémon Heaven Legends
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Flygon234
Beginning Trainer

name:Flygon
talents:names,abilities,pokemon ideas
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
you should probably give an example of your work.
it would help your chances.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Verguil13
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Hasty
Nice game. I think it's going to be real great.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
.houndoomed
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygon234 View Post
can i help you?
name:Flygon
talents:names,abilities,pokemon ideas
Sorry, the only position we need right now is a mapper.

There should be a huge update of the second demo quite soon - everything has totally been changed! And a new team is going to feature in the next demo... except this time, they're good guys, and their mission is to protect Koyoto. Their name? Keep watching the thread to find out...

Last edited by .houndoomed; August 6th, 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Well, I played the demo. It was pretty good, if a bit short. Some things I'd like to point out.

The trainers. At the start of the game, there should be Youngsters, Lasses and Bug Catchers, not Battle Girls, Experts and Guitarists :S
Also, I think they were a little hard. For example, the first trainers were already using level 5s, which may not seem overpowered, but when your team has been weakened, they sweep you easily. On the official games, the earliest trainers have level 3s and 4s.

A couple of movement permissions weren't set correctly, especially inside buildings, where you could walk straight out onto the black area. Also, the permissions in the Gym were a bit dodgy...

You didn't edit some of the Marts, so they still sold TM Solarbeam etc.

The TMs weren't edited - none of my Pokémon could learn the Attract TM I was given.

Clair still says exactly the same thing in the lab, even after you complete the demo.

The Pokémon database edits were rather sloppy - you didn't edit their cries, or more importantly, their base EXP. For some reason, Minimoth gives less EXP than Shimple, and even Bastick gives more than its last evolution... And being able to grow all the way from level 6 to level 7 by defeating just 1 level 2 Volery is fun, but kinda breaks the game a bit. On the subject of Volery, it is amazingly hard to catch for such a weak and common Pokémon - you might want to fix that. Finally, a bug with Shimple and Minimoth - if you evolve Shimple, the Minimoth will be at a higher level than the Shimple it evolved from. If you evolve a Shimple at level 14, the Minimoth that comes out will be level 16. However, at extremely high levels, this reverses. A Shimple evolved at level 100 will become level 98 after evolving. This is quite a large bug...

Well, it was a nice demo, apart from the bugs.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
.houndoomed
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichu View Post
Well, I played the demo. It was pretty good, if a bit short. Some things I'd like to point out.

The trainers. At the start of the game, there should be Youngsters, Lasses and Bug Catchers, not Battle Girls, Experts and Guitarists
Also, I think they were a little hard. For example, the first trainers were already using level 5s, which may not seem overpowered, but when your team has been weakened, they sweep you easily. On the official games, the earliest trainers have level 3s and 4s.

A couple of movement permissions weren't set correctly, especially inside buildings, where you could walk straight out onto the black area. Also, the permissions in the Gym were a bit dodgy...

You didn't edit some of the Marts, so they still sold TM Solarbeam etc.

The TMs weren't edited - none of my Pokémon could learn the Attract TM I was given.

Clair still says exactly the same thing in the lab, even after you complete the demo.

The Pokémon database edits were rather sloppy - you didn't edit their cries, or more importantly, their base EXP. For some reason, Minimoth gives less EXP than Shimple, and even Bastick gives more than its last evolution... And being able to grow all the way from level 6 to level 7 by defeating just 1 level 2 Volery is fun, but kinda breaks the game a bit. On the subject of Volery, it is amazingly hard to catch for such a weak and common Pokémon - you might want to fix that. Finally, a bug with Shimple and Minimoth - if you evolve Shimple, the Minimoth will be at a higher level than the Shimple it evolved from. If you evolve a Shimple at level 14, the Minimoth that comes out will be level 16. However, at extremely high levels, this reverses. A Shimple evolved at level 100 will become level 98 after evolving. This is quite a large bug...

Well, it was a nice demo, apart from the bugs.
Thanks for that, but I think it's time to put the old, buggy first demo behind us. It was extremely rushed, hence all of those things you listed. It's kind of embarassing actually, as I wasn't aware of the amount of mistakes.

They will all be fixed in the second demo, trust me.

Right now we're making D/P/P sprites for all of our Pokémon - and all I can say is that they are magnificent. They actually look like they were made by Nintendo. We have also got a new water starter line, but we still have things such as names and sprites to finish before we can show them to you.

Also, thanks to Lorem Ipsum, we now have changed the screen resolution to the same as in Pokémon D/P/P (D/S). We're currently working on the battle system, and all I can say is that it's working out quite well so far.

In addition to that, we are now looking for spriters to make trainer sprites for us in D/P/P style.

So if you are able to make trainer sprites for us, PM me or let me know

Oh, and I should be staying around a while just to make sure the game is getting off at the right start. So I should be staying just a little while longer, I'll probably be gone again by the time school starts at the end of August.
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Lorem Ipsum

Originally Posted by pokepal2007 View Post
im not sure what both of you mean but i think you are both spamming

im not sure
What do you mean by this?

Also, Wichu, thank you for taking the time to play the game. It was buggy, we know, and you have alerted us to a couple more bugs that we had not seen in the game. I have to take responsibility for most of these, as it was my job to do all of the events and scripting in the game.

Now, to the broader Scarlet community, there is going to be a slight change in the next week. Houndoomed is normally the one who provides us with screenshots. But I am going to be previewing the new DPP tiles that have been implemented (thanks go to Kyledove for making them 2D), and there will also be a preview of the DPP battle system that I have been working on for the past couple of days.

Thank you for your remaining support of Scarlet.

Old August 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
.houndoomed
Trainer

Rewrote the storyline to be MUCH better.

Spoiler:
Pokémon Scarlet takes place 20 years before the events of Pokémon R/B/Y (even though new Pokémon feature in Koyoto, they do not appear in any other region). You play as a young Lance, who grows up to be one of the world's most famous Pokémon Masters, and one of the Kanto Elite Four. Lance’s cousin, Clair, is also a character in this game. Clair grows up to be the Gym Leader of Blackthorn City Gym. Both Lance and Clair move to Blackthorn City when they are older. Pokémon Scarlet expands the history of these two characters in an exciting and new, not used before in a Pokémon game, way.

So without further ado, I present the story of Scarlet.

----

Your name is Lance*. You live in the town of Hazelbranch in the region of Koyoto, along with your younger cousin, Clair. You have been living here for a long time, and things have always been more and less peaceful... until now.

Today marks the day of your 13th birthday, and to celebrate, you are getting your very first Pokémon. You head downstairs, where your Mom is waiting for you. She wishes you a happy birthday, and allows you to go and get your Pokémon from Prof. Maple. Once you arrive at Prof. Maple's Lab, you realize you're not the only one getting their first Pokémon today. Your cousin, Clair, is too. She then offers Clair to take one of the three Pokéballs on the table. She declines the offer, and says that you should choose first, seeing as it is your birthday. After choosing one of the Pokémon on the table, Clair takes the Pokémon with the opposite type as yours. Prof. Maple then gives you a Pokédex each, and you both leave the Lab, after thanking her for the gifts.

You then go to your Mom to show her your new Pokémon. She tells you that she is proud of you, and warns you to be careful on your journey. After leaving your house, you notice several men surrounding who appears to be Prof. Maple. You recognize one of the men instantly - Giovanni! A neighbor and one of your close friends. You go over to take a closer look. It seems Prof. Maple knows some very important information about something - but what? Giovanni says he is kidnapping Prof. Maple and is bringing her to Team Rocket HQ.
He then turns to you and tells you not to try to find them, because you never will.
He then takes off with Prof. Maple and the other mysterious men, laughing mischievously while he makes his escape.

It turns out Clair had saw and heard what happened also, and she asks you inside her house to discuss what just happened. She is in disbelief that Giovanni kidnapped Prof. Maple, and demands that the pair of you should search all of Koyoto in hope of finding her, and bringing her back to safety. All you know is that they went to a place called Team Rocket HQ, and that you must try to find it. She says that you can still be a Pokémon Trainer at the same time. She believes that if you train your Pokémon by defeating all of the Gym Leaders in Koyoto, you would be strong enough to defeat Giovanni and the rest of Team Rocket the next time you encountered each other.
But the most important question was WHY Team Rocket wanted Prof. Maple. What did she know that they didn't? You won't know until you infiltrate Team Rocket's Headquarters and find her.

After you have made up your mind to go on search for Prof. Maple, you must also tell your Mom about the huge decision you have made. At your house, you tell her everything that happened. She was shocked to hear about Prof. Maple, but wasn't surprised to hear Giovanni was a Team Rocket Admin, as she always knew there was something strange about him. After taking several moments to think about it, your Mom finally allows you to go and find Prof. Maple. She gives you a pair of Running Shoes as a birthday gift, as she forget to give them to you earlier. She tells you to be careful, and wishes you luck.

And with that, you and Clair begin your quest for rescuing Prof. Maple, and along the way become some of the strongest Pokémon trainers the world has ever known...

* Note that you can choose any name for yourself. Lance is the default name.

Oh, and I won't be here for the next few days, so I'm letting Lorem Ipsum take over the thread until I return.

Last edited by .houndoomed; August 10th, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old August 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Hey houndoomed,
I have a sprite for you if you want to use it.

Old August 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

Nature: Adamant
I must say Lorem, I am anxiously waiting for those screens showing off the battle system. I think it will look very good and I can't wait to see it. I also am looking forward to seeing Kyles tiles, but what are you going to do about those few missing tiles in the set...? Like the gym.

Good Luck mate, I can not wait to see those screens.

Sincerely,
Minorthreat.

Check out my DeviantArt account for info on my new project! Pokemon Tellurium.
My DeviantArt
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Lorem Ipsum

Minorthreat: There are a few options for the missing tiles. Either I will attempt to recreate them, or we will simply use custom tiles for this purpose.

I'm just adding the finishing touches to the battle screens, such as improved gender icons and making sure that the Pokéball doesn't linger when it is first thrown into battle.

Old August 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
TKS
Beginning Trainer

It'd be a bit weird if you went through this whole thread without the tiniest idea of who I am, so let me introduce myself! My name is Houndoomed, and I am the creator of Pokémon Scarlet Version. I'm not alone though, I have many brilliant people who help me make Pokémon Scarlet Version what it truly is. I started work way back in February 2007 when we were still unheard of. We've come a long way since then, and now we are very well known.
Looks like a great game, but seriously... lol.
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndoomed View Post
We are now looking for spriters to make trainer sprites for us in D/P/P style.

So if you are able to make trainer sprites for us, PM me or let me know
Hey, Houndoomed. You might remember me. I once took a shot at making the Grass Starter sprite quite a long time ago, when my spriting wasn't so great (actually, if I look back at it, it was pretty bad).

I would be glad to help you create trainer sprites in D/P/P style. I need to get a little practice with that style.

Anyway, the game is turning out very well.
I hope you keep up the great work. ^.^
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
TeddiursaFan
is a TeddiursaFan

Hey Lorem, I was wondering if you had anything new(I've noticed that you haven't released any new news) or are you just fixing up the bugs for the game? The chat really slowed down... though nice game (even though Houndoom started it).
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:44 AM
.houndoomed
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS View Post
Looks like a great game, but seriously... lol.
Yes, I must admit that was a bit cheesy XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyris View Post
Hey, Houndoomed. You might remember me. I once took a shot at making the Grass Starter sprite quite a long time ago, when my spriting wasn't so great (actually, if I look back at it, it was pretty bad).

I would be glad to help you create trainer sprites in D/P/P style. I need to get a little practice with that style.

Anyway, the game is turning out very well.
I hope you keep up the great work. ^.^
Hi, I think I remember you?
Sure, feel free to give it a shot

Thanks for the compliments. I actually decided that when the time comes when the second demo, I'll just be changing some things around and making sure everything's right. So I don't think I'll ever be fully retired. I'm just going to be having the most important exams of my life (so far >.<) starting next year, and I'll have to study very hard. So I should still be able to co-run this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddiursaFan View Post
Hey Lorem, I was wondering if you had anything new(I've noticed that you haven't released any new news) or are you just fixing up the bugs for the game? The chat really slowed down... though nice game (even though Houndoom started it).
Hope you don't mind if I answer this for you...

Yes, we have got some new stuff, but we're still perfecting it. Hopefully we'll have a few screenshots showing off what we've done in the next issue of PC Gamer, which should be coming out at the end of the month

Chat has gone down a lot lately... but that's probably because we're still working on everything. So once we get back on track, we should be regaining activity again.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Sarcastic Prince
Starting anew...

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarcastic Prince
Sorry to post such a post here, but the megaupload download doesn't work anymore.

Can you upload it in another hosting service? (Please, not Rapidshare either.)
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Dustyguy
Beginning Trainer

I'M A N00B How do you start the game? some0n3 plz tell Pl0x?
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
sonic smash down
strive for the best

Send a message via Yahoo to sonic smash down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndoomed View Post
So I don't think I'll ever be fully retired. I'm just going to be having the most important exams of my life (so far >.<) starting next year, and I'll have to study very hard. So I should still be able to co-run this project.
u dont know how glad i am to hear ya say that houndoomed i knew you could never leave this project its to good. anyways just upload the the game and press enter and you should be able to start it, its for the computer look at the controls before you continue.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links