Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Need tips

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old July 20th, 2007 (11:16 AM).
Crystal Bell Keeper

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy
Quote originally posted by Grovyle42(Griff4815):
Well I still want to keep post-Hoenn league as part of Book 1.
I'm not a patient person so I'll keep writing and find it out as I go.
Would making the characters travel on a wing and a prayer be a good or bad idea?
*subbenly hears a 80's song playing in the background*
Um, it depends what that means . Really I would not overdo it, becuase remember how high you put the action means that you have to go that much farther to top it, which can be a very hard thing to do if you don't have just the right style...

Vampiric pokémorphs and the Nurse Joy who must love them.
Old July 20th, 2007 (12:47 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Yeah, if you set up the standards for action in your story too high, and you start to "fail to deliver", then your readers might become disappointed. They will come to expect a certain quality from you.

I'd say to just keep writing and see how things go. Sometimes you just can't plan what your characters want to do or where they want to go. Just let the writing happen as it'll happen.
Old July 22nd, 2007 (05:51 AM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Yahoo to Grovyle42(Griff8416)
I'm having trouble with a tough decision.
I can't decide if I want my protagonist pokemon to evolve again. It might be too soon, and I don't know if I do or don't want to, yet.
PC Family so far: Cousin - ScytheMaster, Awesomest Sister - Diamondpearl876, Brother - Rebellious Treecko (PM one of us if you want to join it)

------------
Click Below for The Awesome Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile Club
Older Fic banner by Scenice.
Old Fic banner by Sammi-Chan.
New Fic banner by Scenice
Banner and avatar by Anastasia R.
Old July 22nd, 2007 (06:52 AM).
you can breathe now. x

Nature: Careful
I'm having trouble with a tough decision.
I can't decide if I want my protagonist pokemon to evolve again. It might be too soon, and I don't know if I do or don't want to, yet.
Totally up to you.. not everyone pokemon has to evolve to their final evolution. Also, depends where you are.. If you have your trainer get a starter as Mudkip, and it's a Swampert in your story by the 4th gym without massive training sessions that probably makes it want to kill you, then you have a problem.

By the way, is this an OT fic? I'm kind of slow.. =)

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 22nd, 2007 (08:21 AM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

Send a message via AIM to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Yahoo to Grovyle42(Griff8416)
I'll find out what you mean by "OT fic".

I found out; Well it is an original trainer, but I don't think he wants to become a pokemon master...as opposed to...not becoming a pokemon master.
PC Family so far: Cousin - ScytheMaster, Awesomest Sister - Diamondpearl876, Brother - Rebellious Treecko (PM one of us if you want to join it)

------------
Old July 22nd, 2007 (09:03 AM).
you can breathe now. x

OT fic basically has a trainer collecting the badges and going through the league and crap.. =)

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 24th, 2007 (05:08 PM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

I'm having trouble with what to do when my protagonist trainer has 6 pokeballs. I don't really like the idea of the ball disappearing right when he catches something, since I can't really bring out the pokemon to expand on the personality. Are there any loopholes for this?

------------
Old July 24th, 2007 (05:24 PM).
you can breathe now. x

I'm having trouble with what to do when my protagonist trainer has 6 pokeballs. I don't really like the idea of the ball disappearing right when he catches something, since I can't really bring out the pokemon to expand on the personality. Are there any loopholes for this?
There's a few things I could think of.. Don't have him/her catch more than six pokemon for one. Have him/her give it to another trainer or something as a gift. Have a different trainer in the group catch it instead. Or replace it for one of it's current pokemon when you run out of ideas for one of them, and switch off from time to time.

Another thing I'd like to point out: A belt can definitely hold more than six pokeballs. Think about it. The pokeballs are minimized until the trainer hits the middle button so it can fit in the palm of your hand, so do you think the belt is so small that it can't fit six? A backpack can, too, as any other place you could think of. You CAN have six pokeballs or more. I would just change it to where the league states you can only enter six pokemon when you reach the league or something, because if they were to allow more, a battle would never, ever end.

Old July 24th, 2007 (05:40 PM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

I think my best bet is sending a select few to Professor ___'s lab/ranch.

Here's another thing...(pretending this is canon, btw) If "Trainer A" catches "Pokemon A" and Pokemon A stays out of it's pokeball and Pokemon A's empty pokeball is in the bottom of a river... can Trainer A have 6 other pokemon or still only 5?

------------
Old July 24th, 2007 (08:43 PM). Edited July 24th, 2007 by Orange_Flaaffy.
Crystal Bell Keeper

*sings* I have a theory..I have a theory (sp?)...
In my fic there is a much more history based reason for the six pokemon rule being adopted, but going by the games alone...
I think there is something that happens to a pokeball when it is carring a pokemon that makes said pokemon and their balls have low levels of a certain type of energy that is harmfull to humans in large amounts. A pokemon in the wild does not put out this energy untill they are captured and turned into energy by the pokeball for the first time...
While a pokemon without it's ball would not have as much of this energy around it since it had not been made into 'light' by the ball in a long time, I go with the idea the trainers are still to worried by the stories of people with a lot of pokemon in the olden days dieing very painful deaths to risk it...
Most cities and villages have something to cut down the level of this energy so that a large amount of poeple can have their pokemon out at a time, and, most of the people who camp in the forests don't use their pokeballs as much as gym trainers and live far apart so their levels are lower....
Just my crazy idea

Old July 25th, 2007 (07:59 AM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

That league rules idea works out for me.I might put a subtle thoery in there, too.

------------
Old July 25th, 2007 (09:09 AM).
The Game is Afoot!

Nature: Lax
Actually, if you're going by the manga Canon, the six Pokemon isn't a set limit for how many you can carry around, just a limit on the number of Pokemon that can be used in any one official battle. I mean, imagine a twenty vs. twenty. Isane much? Anyway, the main idea of only traveling with six in the manga is that Pokemon require attention, and a trainer needs to be able to devote it to all Pokemon with him/her. More then six Pokemon, and you're going to have an awfully hard time paying special attention to each one.

x x x x

Old July 25th, 2007 (10:14 AM).
Crystal Bell Keeper

*lol* The same could be said of wirting characters, more than six and it gets very hard IMHO

Old July 25th, 2007 (11:43 AM).
you can breathe now. x

Quote originally posted by Art_Critic_Cubone:
Actually, if you're going by the manga Canon, the six Pokemon isn't a set limit for how many you can carry around, just a limit on the number of Pokemon that can be used in any one official battle. I mean, imagine a twenty vs. twenty. Isane much? Anyway, the main idea of only traveling with six in the manga is that Pokemon require attention, and a trainer needs to be able to devote it to all Pokemon with him/her. More then six Pokemon, and you're going to have an awfully hard time paying special attention to each one.
That's basically what I said, just.. longer. >>

Old July 25th, 2007 (11:53 AM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

I think I'll only have 8 Max at a time My character only has 6 for the league anyways.

One more question for now. My character's are at the Hoenn League, and there are four arenas. Three are Grass, Rock, and Water. I need help thinking of one more (Not ice, I don't want to deal with ice right now.

------------
Old July 25th, 2007 (12:32 PM).
you can breathe now. x

I'd say fire but that'd be kinda deadly..

Why can't you deal with ice? o.O

Old July 25th, 2007 (12:43 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Sand was used once in a League battle. It made for some interesting attack styles, because those who used Take Down couldn't get much traction for some real power, and moves like Fissure couldn't work either. It was interesting.

I remember once, for a Psychic battle, I used a room surrounded by mirrors. Probably broke the laws of science in the process. But I had the Psychic waves bounce off the mirrors so the opposing Pokemon couldn't escape. Until the Pokemon broke the mirrors, of course.

But really, the old stand-bys are Rock, Grass, Water, and Ice. (The first two are seen more. A lot more.) But if you don't want to deal with Ice, you should take a look at what Pokemon are going to be battling, and make an arena that's more difficult for them to battle in. Or make the trainers have to think quickly to come up with strategies.
Old July 25th, 2007 (12:49 PM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

I think sand will suit best.
I don't want to use ice, because my fighters are very speed oriented and I can't have them slipsliding around because that would make the already long battle much longer.

------------
Old July 25th, 2007 (12:55 PM).
you can breathe now. x

Sand would be cool.. though the ice would probably make it more interesting.

Old July 27th, 2007 (06:34 PM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

Ok, before I post the first chapter or two, I have to think of a name.

------------
Old July 27th, 2007 (09:42 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

What type of name? A title for your fic? Or a name for one of your characters.

I'm hoping it's the first one. But I'll hold back advice until you post again, so that I can give coherent helpful advice.
Old July 27th, 2007 (09:46 PM).
you can breathe now. x

I'm 99.9% sure it's a title for your story.

Already a thread here, so:

http://pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95173

Old July 28th, 2007 (05:08 AM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

yeah, its for a title.

And that thread doesn't exactly help with MY story...

I'll see if I can't think of something.
I'm looking for one with a double meaning, one deeper and one more literal, since most of my chapter names have that.

------------
Old July 28th, 2007 (09:08 AM).
you can breathe now. x

yeah, its for a title.

And that thread doesn't exactly help with MY story...

I'll see if I can't think of something.
I'm looking for one with a double meaning, one deeper and one more literal, since most of my chapter names have that.
Unless I really can't read, I thought there was at least 2 tips to get one for any story, not just for the person someone was asking.

Old July 28th, 2007 (11:59 AM).
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Crystal Tier

There were a few tips but it didn't help me too much. I'll think of something.

------------
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links