Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 3rd, 2008 (01:31 PM).
mini poliwag
JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mini poliwag
ok i cant be bothered to argue but if it was my thread i wouldnt give a damn and im sure arcane dosent either

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
Old December 3rd, 2008 (01:51 PM).
franco06
Beginning Trainer

This game looks amazing can't wait to try it.
Old December 3rd, 2008 (01:52 PM).
Pika Storm
learning to script

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via AIM to Pika Storm
you all are spaming about why you should not spam. why don't we have a real topic for once. Here's an idea: will you start the game with the national dex, or the kanto dex and upgrade as you go along. If you start with the kanto dex, there will be alot of pokemon that you will catch that will not be registered before you get to jhoto
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
Old December 3rd, 2008 (04:36 PM).
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
... thats actually a good question. I'd have to go with working up ..
Old December 3rd, 2008 (04:52 PM). Edited December 3rd, 2008 by Pika Storm.
Pika Storm
learning to script

but that would be rather annoying because oak wouldn't be able to give you any information about any of these pokemon that you are catching
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
Old December 3rd, 2008 (06:39 PM).
GFA
Community Supporter

yeah, but when you move to Johto, Elm would update your Pokedex. Thats how I would do it, but CA can do what ever he wants.
Old December 3rd, 2008 (08:40 PM).
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner

Nature: Lax
Holy snickers this looks amazing, I can't wait finish it faster!
Old December 4th, 2008 (02:16 AM).
Koybito
Pokemon Pirate.

Wow, got quiet all of a sudden.
*Random cricket chirping, wind wooshing, and tumble weeds*
Anwayz, here's another infamous scatter-brained question;

Like I said earlier, I've been flipping through the anime over the last few days, and I found another curious feature I think would be interesting. Even if it would kind of defeat the purpose of running around snatching up Gym Badges, and hence, kind of ruin (For some people) a huge chunk of the game...

In the first season, there's a Pokemon League Training Facility-type-doodad that offered a cure-all Badge that allowed trainers to enter the League Tournament without the need for the other eight. The only requirement to get the Badge was to complete and pass a series of tests and battles to prove you were up to snuff and bad-ass enough to enter.

My question is basically; do you think (Again, because the game is based off the anime more than anything else) this system will be apart of the game? Or, if it isn't going to be, what would you think if it was?

Now obviously, if this system was used, it wouldn't be all that hard to just flip through a few pages of Joe-shmoe facts on the net and come up with the right answer to the questions, but I think if C.A were to make the battle aspect harder than it is in the show, and if he made the system a one time deal (IE, you either grab a yatzee on the first shot, or you fail and can't retake the tests) it might work.

Then again, it might not. <3

Just asking for opinions.

And, on October 6th 1988, at 8:17 am.
Sex was born.
Old December 4th, 2008 (05:19 AM).
kyuuketsuki_nan
Beginning Trainer

@ Koybito's last two posts:

I'm not too sure if the Pokemon you listed will have such a major role. It's true they play a large part in the anime, but that is mainly centered around Ash. Then again, it would be difficult to base on the anime which is based on Ash story without doing the same things Ash does. I guess Arcane has a sollution though But I dunno, it would at least be nice to see them make a cameo in a sidequest or something.

About the "Pokemon League Training Facility-type-doodad" (to quote your ever so fine phrasing xD)... I don't think it would be a good idea to incorporate it exactly as it is in the anime, because, like you said, it would prove getting the eight badges superfluous. I think that would take the ballance out of the game. But maybe Arcane is able to put something similar in, just as some sort of extra challenge.
Old December 4th, 2008 (06:47 AM).
Koybito
Pokemon Pirate.

Quote originally posted by kyuuketsuki_nan:
@ Koybito's last two posts:

I'm not too sure if the Pokemon you listed will have such a major role. It's true they play a large part in the anime, but that is mainly centered around Ash. Then again, it would be difficult to base on the anime which is based on Ash story without doing the same things Ash does. I guess Arcane has a sollution though But I dunno, it would at least be nice to see them make a cameo in a sidequest or something.

About the "Pokemon League Training Facility-type-doodad" (to quote your ever so fine phrasing xD)... I don't think it would be a good idea to incorporate it exactly as it is in the anime, because, like you said, it would prove getting the eight badges superfluous. I think that would take the ballance out of the game. But maybe Arcane is able to put something similar in, just as some sort of extra challenge.
*Sick, someone finally noticed my knack for nincompoopery and not-so-poetic license. Yay! <3*

And I see you're point, about how it will probably be more than a little difficult for Captain to truly get the anime feel without being able to purely base the game off of it. But like you said, I'm sure with his gut-busting amount of will and almost unhealthy amount of vision (Yes, I'm going a tad overboard with the analogies, but hey, it's my day off and I'm feeling feisty!) he'll be able to pull it off.

And again, (Wow, good job kyuu-chan, two agreements from me in one post, you rock. Lol.) I agree with you about how the "Pokemon League Training Facility-type-doodad" would throw the balance off the game. But your idea of possibly converting it into a type of extra thrill and chill side quest for those of us mad enough to take crack at it is pretty promising I think. *Nod nod*

And, on October 6th 1988, at 8:17 am.
Sex was born.
Old December 4th, 2008 (07:48 AM).
Mooshykris
Donator Tier 5

I think if that were to be done, it would begin to copy the anime to the point where the very basics of a Pokemon game are falling away.

For example, I don't expect, nor want any "brave deeds" to win Badges, only pure power in battling :P

~Mooshykris
Old December 4th, 2008 (08:45 AM).
mini poliwag
JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer

i think if he was to iclude that in the game he would have to adapt that to make it more realistic to the game, you,d have to like defeat 5 lvl 80+ pokemon to be good enough to defeat the pokemon in the league.

whch brings me to the first real idea ive had
in the anime the pokemon league dosent consist of 5 people in consistant battles does it
i rekon they sould incorporate this idea into the game
the pokemon league should be held online every week and the people online that have all 8 badges can enter, then they battle each other in the same style as on the anime and the winner.. well u no wat happens to the winner.
and in the orange league just have a six on six pokemon battle against the leader of the orange crew.

Old December 4th, 2008 (02:15 PM).
Mooshykris
Donator Tier 5

That one still bothers me, as I want the Elite Four :<

I think a tournament is okay, but you still need good old Elite 4 and champion which is all about all out battling. That is another of the basics to the game formula.

~Mooshykris
Old December 4th, 2008 (02:22 PM).
CP3
2Pac is still alive!

Maybe it should be like the anime, if you win the tournament you have a choice whether to face the elite 4 or not and if you don't, you're still the champion.

Old December 4th, 2008 (03:02 PM).
Pika Storm
learning to script

It has already been said that for the elite 4, it will be kind of like both. you will be in a real tournament, if you can get through it, you can challenge the elite 4, but they will not be able to be taken down with relitively weak pokemon, they will be hard, if you become the champion, you will be rewarded. in terms of the on/off line options, you can challenge this at any time offline and will battle simulated trainers, but when online, it will hopefully be once a week (C.A.'s own words) and you will bettle real people playing this game.
Old December 4th, 2008 (03:30 PM).
CP3
2Pac is still alive!

I like the idea that the Elite 4 will be hard, cause they so weak in d/p that it's really ridiculous.

Old December 4th, 2008 (04:14 PM).
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by mini poliwag:
i think if he was to iclude that in the game he would have to adapt that to make it more realistic to the game, you,d have to like defeat 5 lvl 80+ pokemon to be good enough to defeat the pokemon in the league.

whch brings me to the first real idea ive had
in the anime the pokemon league dosent consist of 5 people in consistant battles does it
i rekon they sould incorporate this idea into the game
the pokemon league should be held online every week and the people online that have all 8 badges can enter, then they battle each other in the same style as on the anime and the winner.. well u no wat happens to the winner.
and in the orange league just have a six on six pokemon battle against the leader of the orange crew.
It depends what you mean, the Conferences do, but Ash has never taken on the E4, so who knows? Nintendo.
Old December 4th, 2008 (04:21 PM).
mini poliwag
JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer

no what i mean is the pokemon leage in the games is the elite 4 but the pokemon leage on the anime is the tournament style thing

Old December 4th, 2008 (06:52 PM).
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by mini poliwag:
no what i mean is the pokemon leage in the games is the elite 4 but the pokemon leage on the anime is the tournament style thing
We don't know that, the E4 have never had an official battle with anyone in the anime.
Old December 4th, 2008 (06:53 PM).
scienceboy
3 Gen Pokemon Master

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Goodbye, Farewell, & Amen:
We don't know that, the E4 have never had an official battle with anyone in the anime.
yeah they did. in one of the episodes where ash was back in pallet town, he and brock watched a recording of an elite four fight where bruno fought. later in the episode, they helped him catch an onix

A. READ THE GODDAMN THREAD. I don't care if you don't read all 100 pages of it, but read the first post AT LEAST.

B. READ THE FIRST POST. 95% of the time that will contain your answer

C. SHUT UP AND STOP ARGUING. It doesn't help anyone and it gets rather annoying.

D. This is not a place to talk about every topic imaginable. It is a place to talk about a certain game, or whatever the topic of the thread is. If you want to say something else, be it about something you are doing, or just something not related, DO NOT SAY IT. This is NOT the place.

E. RESPECT EVERYONE. In case you've forgotten, these are real people that you're talking to. I'm sure that if you were in person, you would NOT be talking to others the way that you do now. THESE ARE REAL PEOPLE FOLKS, REMEMBER THAT.

F. BE GRATEFUL. All of these hacks/games are done by people in their spare time, for no money. They invest ALOT of time and effort into these projects, and they do it for their enjoyment, not yours. If you try and be greedy, or talk as if they are going to fall to your every whim, DON'T. They are not doing it for you, they are doing it for them. The only thing that you should say is either constructive criticism or a suggestion that you think would make the game better overall. Note that I said SUGGESTION.
Old December 5th, 2008 (01:25 PM).
dialga2103
Beginning Trainer

looks pretty cool (when does it come for download and where)
Old December 5th, 2008 (01:33 PM).
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
Never. Wait for it to be completed.
Old December 5th, 2008 (01:36 PM).
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by scienceboy:
yeah they did. in one of the episodes where ash was back in pallet town, he and brock watched a recording of an elite four fight where bruno fought. later in the episode, they helped him catch an onix
Darn you, but i mean we still don't know were you fight the E4 or if it's a tournament, or you fight them day after day or what.
Old December 5th, 2008 (05:11 PM).
kerii
Beginning Trainer

Paul took on an E4 member in the d/p eps. I haven't paid too much attention to detail in the past few years, but I did see that episode. I want to say that Paul also challenged Cynthia, but I'd have to look into it. Lastly, the D/P E4 was difficult if you didn't spend a month or more going through the game. Most people hit victory road with levels ranging from 40-60. In my personal opinion I try to train hard and be at least 10 levels above the champion. I can't wait for Platinum, I hear Pearl tops out at close to 95 or 100. As for the special test thing, I think that's a great idea but it should be a one shot thing and should be so hard that there's only a one in a million chance it could be passed. maybe a super hard "written" portion and then the super tough battle portion; for exmaple, I think it would be good to do the random pokemon thing for the battle portion. If you do it like that you are tested for battle skill and not game knowledge. It also makes it nearly impossible to cheat because it's randomized.
Old December 5th, 2008 (07:03 PM).
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by kerii:
Paul took on an E4 member in the d/p eps. I haven't paid too much attention to detail in the past few years, but I did see that episode. I want to say that Paul also challenged Cynthia, but I'd have to look into it. Lastly, the D/P E4 was difficult if you didn't spend a month or more going through the game. Most people hit victory road with levels ranging from 40-60. In my personal opinion I try to train hard and be at least 10 levels above the champion. I can't wait for Platinum, I hear Pearl tops out at close to 95 or 100. As for the special test thing, I think that's a great idea but it should be a one shot thing and should be so hard that there's only a one in a million chance it could be passed. maybe a super hard "written" portion and then the super tough battle portion; for exmaple, I think it would be good to do the random pokemon thing for the battle portion. If you do it like that you are tested for battle skill and not game knowledge. It also makes it nearly impossible to cheat because it's randomized.
1. Welcome

2. I forgot about Paul ...

3. No P will not have 95-100 check Bulbapedia

4. Written? WTF?

Sponsored Links