• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What starter type(s) are the best?

~*Pikafan*~

Man I gotta stop leaving!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
I was just checking a pokedex from a site and I wondered: What type would be the best for being a starter? So I thought for a bit and I decided to ask PokeCommunity.

So now I have 2 questions:

Which starter type is the best?

and

Which 3 types are the best for starters?

Ex for Question 1: Dark/Ice
Ex for Question 2: Fire/Water/Grass

For me, I think that a Water type would be the best starter in a Fire/Water/Grass. If you teach it Ice Beam, it can beat the other 2.

And I think that an Electric/Water/Ground are the 3 best types.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
Depends on the theme of your hack, like other hacks have.

Legend of Dragons - dragon types.
My hack; Arctic blue - Ice types.
Some Team Poison hack (Forgot it) - poison types.

It is a bit more original to rescript the beginning. It makes the hack better.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2020
You could make the starters water, electric and ground just to balance it out.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I would like water or dark type pokemons. But it needs to be mixed

~Celebi

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
There are few balanced combos: for example fighting/psychic/dark.
water/electric/ground has the problem of electric not affecting ground, which changes the balance.

The problem of fighting/psychic/dark is that fighting is a physical type, while the others are special types.

I'd go for the classic water/fire/grass

lanturn 550

Lanturn Warrior
Years
well at moment im leaning towards other triangle starters so something like..
poison,ground,grass works.

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2008
i like the set that i am currently using: Dragon/flying; Dark/ice; fighting

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
Years
making a legendary a starter isnt so bad if you edit their leveling up speed and change the levels they learn moves so they arent 10 levels apart. otherwise its pointless cause you end up spending forever training until the poke is actually useful.

perhaps a non-effective attack triangle: flying/electric/ground. the only problem there is that flying has the advantage, for its attacks can effect both others, but electic doesnt effect ground and ground doesnt effect flying.

~*Pikafan*~

Man I gotta stop leaving!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
Yeah, but all starters have low effect on the opposite. Fire on Water doesn't do much.

But that is a good Idea, I might do that.

Razor Ramon

Undefeated in D/P
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2010
dude i wanna help make a hack cuz i wanna play one on my flashcart so i dont gots to use a computer. i got the perfect title and starters:

st1pt8.png

see they are all animals! if u want i can post a map of the first town

heres a "rough draft" pic of what i think the begining town should be:

eventnh4.png

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Ummmmm.....
Dude totally spam....
Also this is the wrong place to put this...
Put it in the scrapbox!
Also your maps need some work....

Corrosion

Support Pokemon Amber!
Years
My opinion is that a combination of fighting/rock/flying would make sense. The reason behind this is that in all the other games there has been Fire/Water/Grass. These types are all non-physical, whereas Fighting/Rock/Flying is purely physical. Psychic/Fighting/Dark delves into both of these catagories, thus it is imbalanced.

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
Years
Ah! indeed, Fighting/Rock/Flying would be well balanced. when I make a more normal hack (as opposed to the Pokemon Colosseum remake I'm making) I shall use that combo. Starly, larvitar (or geodude), and machop (or tyrogue maybe) would fit that combo.

EvilCrazyMonkey

D/P Hacker-in-Training
Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2012
Does it technically matter if the types aren't all physical or special? I don't grasp that concept. Also, there is a list of type triangles on The Cave of Dragonflies, under Fun Facts, which is on the left menu under Pokémon.

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 10, 2023
I was going to suggest the Rock/Fighting/Flying triangle, but it was already suggested. I think the most important thing dealing with starters is that they have the same number of evolutions and nearly the same total base stat. If we do something like pidgey, geodude and machop, itd be fairly bad for pidgeot to confront a machamp. Not only for being a normal type. So, using flying as first option may be good, but then you have to think very well on the second tiping.
About being a special-based or physical-based triangles, it's an important factor, but not when it comes to D/P.
As I love poison types, I'd also like the poison/grass/ground triangle. Pity that we don't have Ground/Fighting pokémon nor Poison/Rock. It'd make an interesting triangle: Poison/Rock -> Grass/Flying -> Ground/Fighting
Although Poison would make itself not weak to fighting attacks, it'd be extremely weak to the ground ones, and both types would cause serious injuries on Grass/Flying, which would be immune to ground, resistant to fighting, and would be able to choose on which defense [special or physical] to hurt. Poor thing on this imaginary set is that the poison one isn't resistant to grass attacks, although it could have a great special defense.

This way, I guess the best options are Flying/Rock/Fighting and the original Fire/Water/Grass.

Back