• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Unofficial] ROM Hacking Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Unofficial ROM Hacking Newsletter - Issue 1
Introduction
Some welcome stuff...

Welcome to the first issue of unofficial ROM Hacking Newsletter!

This newsletter has to make some of you remember of ROM Hackers Weekly newsletter which used to be popular and issued HOTW/HOTM/1337/don't ALT+F4/etc. awards to hacks. I won't do this here, although such thing might be planned for future. I will summmarise events on this board, point out interesting hacks and post answer to questions you may ask me (aka Martin²) via PM. Anyone is free to join the team to help me expand the newsletter.

------------------------------

Important notices
READ CAREFULLY, please!

This thread was made to present hacks and summarise events and it is meant to be high quality. I would like to ask you for making thoughtful responses. If you are planning to make a response just to rise up your postcount, let your fingers take a break. Don't post then.

This week's events

What happened here...

CBM's anger

CBM has gotten mad about n00bs, and so he put up a nice bit of rant. Many people agree with his constructive criticsm, but some tried to insult and looked like they wanteda flame war. It is sure an interesting topic, so you should keep an eye on it. Of course, be careful and wear something that repels flames xD

Productive discussion in the ROM hacking board

It's pretty nice to see people talking nicely to others and many polls growing. I would recommend the Most hackable ROM poll. It's quite interesting, indeed. And don't forget Diamond and Pearl hacking, where some guys are trying to make GBA obsolete ;).

GBC hackers and hacks reappearing

AntiRellik (most of you don't know him), a nice guy who even remembers golden era of Mew3, Enix-Zae, CBM and other legends of hacking, has been quite active on the board lately, and also put up some interesting opininons in CBM's thread, and he also started the poll I recommend. So why won't we say that he's poster of the day for today.

If you have any nomination for this positon, just PM me or reply.

And the hacks: Pokémon Plasma Red and Secrets and Rumors are back and better than ever. Seems like GBC hackers have gotten more courage after CBM's post. Wishing good luck to you guys, it will be hard over here with all those GBA hacks coming up.

RHN's system
How does it work?
As it is the first issue, let's talk about RHN's system. You will be able to see current events over here, then some pinned hacks and answers to your questions posted after previous issue. This RHN will be short, cause we had no people asking anything. Imporant thing to get people's attention will be "Pinned hacks" section. It will recommend maximally 3 hacks at the time, which are worth seeing or playing. It shouldn't be considered as an award, but it can be delightful to get some extra attention, right? So, for any nominations, PM me. Sorry to say, but ShinyGold isn't allowed. It's way too much popular, it doesn't need this thread.

Pinned hacks of RHN 1
So, here we go! No award, but a bit more attention over here. So, I say, it should go to three hacks. GBC hacks. They deserve it for hard work their authors have made. This time, I picked them, but from now on, you can choose, too. Not SG, as I said. And I will explain the reason why only GBC hacks were selected this time: To give them at least a bit more attention than before, to make some equality in ROM hacking between generations. But, from now on, it will be quality which will make the decision. Not equality. Although these hacks need equality, they are really well-made.

Pokémon Prism by Coolboyman

Pokémon Prism is totally perfect hack of Gold, where you wouldn't recognize any part of old Gold xD It's full of new features. There's a beta available and I am sure as hell it is worth playing ;)
title.PNG

Pokémon Plasma Red by Blazichu

Really nice Gold hack full of new tiles. Beta isn't available, but the thread is worth checking out.

0.WorldMap.PNG

Pokémon: Secrets and Rumors by Skeetendo, Inc.

The hack you may remember is back and better than ever! There isn't a beta yet, but the screenshots and al those rumors are amazing and worth seeing.

ohboy.png

Let's finish!
Yes, even this post ends :P

Let's say this is a test issue to see if you want something like this. If yes, I would like to ask you for some feedback. So, have fun guys and girls, the golden era of ROM hacking returns!

~Martin

EDIT: BIG THANKS TO CHRISTOS for showing support by approving this thread!

This thread has been made by Martin². You may not copy its layout without permission.
To display this thread properly, IE7 or Firefox 2 is recommended.

Last edited:

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
Years
Wow, this is great!
I like the ROM newsletter!
You have the right idea on how you did it.
HOTM/HOTW sounds like a great idea too!
I understand why SG shouldn't be nominated, its so popular that everyone will vote for it automatically.

I hope for more of these in the future :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Awesome idea Martin ;3

This should be made into a website, rather than a thread

( Or at least a blog hosted on a server )

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Excellent idea, PC has needed this for a long time now.

EDIT: Well done on the layout, it looks very professional.

Years
That looks great Martin², but what about Pokemon Diamon, the dude's hack? I guess there's always next week/month. How often do you plan on releasing a new newsletter?

Years
Great Idea!
but I think it should be possible to nominate shinygold..
cuz, u could make it only possible to make a hack only win once in a month? or something like that..
It just wouldn't be right to not be possible to nominate sg..

Im excited to see whats nextweek ;P

Edit:
@Thethethethe: here's your answer I guess
ROM Hackers Weekly newsletter

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2013
Great idea! This is great man. It has all the important things that have happened, all in one convenient place.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
Well, it doesn't matter if people cant nominate SG, but... I hope that all the hacks get a good chance of showing up ;P

Good idea, I support it as long as you take this seriously.

By the way, I wished this would get pinned at the Hacks Showcase section, it'd be easier to get it noticed around there (I guess more people wander around there), don't you think, people (mainly Christos and Jake), it's a good idea, think about moving it :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Wow, this is great!
I like the ROM newsletter!
You have the right idea on how you did it.
HOTM/HOTW sounds like a great idea too!
I understand why SG shouldn't be nominated, its so popular that everyone will vote for it automatically.

I hope for more of these in the future :)

Thank you, itman. I just wanted to return this board a bit of its former glory xD. Now really. If we ad something like this before, more people could get visible over here.

I think this is another great idea to help get other hacks noticed, and to learn more about the authors.

Thanks :) It was originally you who inspired me to step out of the row and do something ;)

Awesome idea Martin ;3

This should be made into a website, rather than a thread

( Or at least a blog hosted on a server )

Thank you. I would happily move it onto a website, but I am not sure if RHN was that popular over there. Look, I just left for 8 hours of sleep and 9 replies. I doubt that people would visit a website that often.

Excellent idea, PC has needed this for a long time now.

EDIT: Well done on the layout, it looks very professional.

Thanks ^^ The layout is my own work, just pure CSS and BBCode :)

That looks great Martin², but what about Pokemon Diamon, the dude's hack? I guess there's always next week/month. How often do you plan on releasing a new newsletter?

I decied to get a system into pinning hacks. There can be only three per issue. And I would like to issue RHN every week, but there's a little problem. I will be absent from Feb. 16 to Mar. 1 and I won't be able to access PC. So I would like to ask all of you for posting feedback until I am back. I will make RHN2 sooner this time, hope on Thursday. Maybe it will be a bit longer.

Great Idea!
but I think it should be possible to nominate shinygold..
cuz, u could make it only possible to make a hack only win once in a month? or something like that..
It just wouldn't be right to not be possible to nominate sg..

Im excited to see whats nextweek ;P

Edit:
@Thethethethe: here's your answer I guess

I don't want to be unfair to SG, but it's just way too much popular to need its popularity to be boosted. There are too many hacks shaded by t so they need to come out a bit.

Very nice job!

Wow nice to see Secrets and Rumors mentioned XD

Great idea and nice layout. If you are looking to host a little website/blog like VC said, I'll be more than happy to offer up some space on Skeetendo.

So, if you really want to have this on a website, I can try. You would really give me some webspace? I would be grateful for that :)

Great idea! This is great man. It has all the important things that have happened, all in one convenient place.

Thanks for support, nice to see you like it.

Well, it doesn't matter if people cant nominate SG, but... I hope that all the hacks get a good chance of showing up ;P

Good idea, I support it as long as you take this seriously.

By the way, I wished this would get pinned at the Hacks Showcase section, it'd be easier to get it noticed around there (I guess more people wander around there), don't you think, people (mainly Christos and Jake), it's a good idea, think about moving it :)

I would love to have this pinned cause it would be more noticed, but I am not a mod or staff member, so I shouldn't issue awards or ask this to be pinned. Maybe I will issue some awards which won't be PC wide, just RHN award for ...insert award here. ...Of course I am taking it seriously, it was way too much of work for this to be a joke. And sorry for SG, but we both know that it's popular even without this. But I don't say you cannot get some award later ;)

And please, people who want SG to be voted for, stop that. I won't chnge my mind. And don't forget, pinning hacks and issuing awards isn't same. Hack can be pinned and don't need to get an award, or hack isn't pinned and gets 1337 for example.

Cheers!

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
This is a great idea! I remember R.H.W (which surely wasn't weekly :P), I hope you keep this up, I will defiantly be staying tuned.

The awards are a good idea, keeping Shiny Gold seems good too. Let's face it, it has far too many fans and it would be unfair to every other hack out there. :D

Good luck, I think you may need it. :P

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Yay. I missed the original RHW, and I thought it should have been redone. Great work on the layout.

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
Wow this is cool as!
Shows everyone ahst been going on.
And gives a bit of attention to hacks in your little award/attention section.
I agree who it went to.
You should put up and coming hacks that are looking good to help support them?
Just hrowin some ideas, its okay if you dont like it.
Anyways this rocks, cant wait for the next one :D​

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Nice man!
I love the idea of a newsletter that tells you what has been going on!
I also love the pinned Hacks part!

Well,
BOL!

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
This is a great idea! I remember R.H.W (which surely wasn't weekly :P), I hope you keep this up, I will defiantly be staying tuned.

The awards are a good idea, keeping Shiny Gold seems good too. Let's face it, it has far too many fans and it would be unfair to every other hack out there. :D

Good luck, I think you may need it. :P

Yes, I will need it, mainly because I will need nerves made of iron to bear the pressure from SG lovers cause of my decision. So, I will try to make up another RHN around Thursday, then I am leaving for to weeks so I will have a break then I continue again.

Yay. I missed the original RHW, and I thought it should have been redone. Great work on the layout.

Thank you, it's a product of quite big amount of effort put into it.

Wow this is cool as!
Shows everyone ahst been going on.
And gives a bit of attention to hacks in your little award/attention section.
I agree who it went to.
You should put up and coming hacks that are looking good to help support them?
Just hrowin some ideas, its okay if you dont like it.
Anyways this rocks, cant wait for the next one :D​

Thanks, happy to see you like it.

Nice man!
I love the idea of a newsletter that tells you what has been going on!
I also love the pinned Hacks part!

Well,
BOL!

I am happy you like it, and thanks for your support.

I would like to ask you all for giving some nominations for pinned hacks of RHN. Think about three hacks you like the most and I will decide then. Don't forget that SG isn't allowed for nomination. I might decide if I give it some award, but there's way too much of craziness around it :x I am hell sure it's good, but we all know that it doesn't need any popularity boost with RHN. And there will be new thing in pinned hacks section next time: RATING SYSTEM!

Cheers!

Offtopic comment: My 101st post. Like those Dalmatians :D

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Nominations:

#1: Neorocket Theives
Author: Itman1234
Reason(s): A great hack with a nice storyline.
Darkballs being implemented.
Plus Neorockets!

#2: Marble
Author: Teh Baro
Reason(s): So much work put into this hack.
Completely new feel!
Fakemon!
New tiles created by Baro himself!

#3: Ruby Destiny-Reign Of Legends
Author: Destinedjagold
Reason(s): Very complex storyline.
Amazing events.
Completed!

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
Years
1. Frozen Pearl
Author: lex_14
Reasons: Amazing graphics and story.
Made many new tiles.
Made some new sprites (e.g. Shiny Volcanic Nidoran).
Even though he's hit a bump in the road on his hack (virus), he's not giving up and is going to keep working at it!

2. Battle Fire
Author: Concorde
Reasons: Amazing fakemon that took a lot of time to make.
Spent a lot of time on the hack.
Inserted all the fakemon, changed there movesets, pokedex entries, and even cries!
Good story.

3. Naranja
Author: Serg!o
Reasons: A simply amazing remake of the orange islands anime.
Great events including Lapras.
Amazing graphics.
Gameplay is equal to the orange islands series.
Gyms have added events besides just battling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back