• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon TCG e-game?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2008
I was wondering, just hypothetically, if anyone would be interested in developing or playing a game based around the Pokemon Trading Card Game, in all its glory?

Would you rather play it as a mere online competitive thing against other humans, or against a computer AI with a rudimentary story attached, or both?

My coding knowledge is weak, but I've nevertheless been tossing this idea around in my head for a few weeks now (mostly because I had no internet connection).

There are currently in excess of 4000 cards out there right now, but I think we could trim it down to 2000 (3 versions of each 'mon, with tons of room left over for Trainers, Stadiums, Energy, etc.).

Anyways, let me know what you think, and whether or not you have any ideas or would be interested in such a project.

j.a

awesomenesses!
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2008
COOL! i would love to help anyway i can but i cant code AT ALL and the online thing would go great with a storyline for off line mode to(for people like me who arent to good) ALSO why not add custom Pokemon so we have more cards we can add and we only need 1 or 2 vers of each pokemon in my opinion it just saves place and time (and confusion sometimes)

Shadez

-
Years
i like the idea
i actually thought of it before but then with yu-gi-oh i thin XD
but since i can't code either i can't help
but still it's a good idea

j.a

awesomenesses!
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2008
maybe you could make some custom cards¿ thats if he replies again...
(i love his avatar...)

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2008
The problem with programming AI is that it's not just based on simple logistics, it's based around algorithms which are extensions of complicated logistics involving player input, resource management, and various playfield-oriented triggers... Long story short, I don't know if I'd ever be able to program AI for a game with as much potential variety as a Pokemon TCG game (Trading Card Game game?).

Anyways, I'll continue thinking about this. Thanks to the two of you who did respond.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Theoretically, this could be done in Sphere Game Engine, That way we could include the entire TCG card set.
Of course this would require a mass of resources and someone who could actually write the entire thing smoothly.
Graphics wouldn't be the major problem, it would have to be the scripting.

A project such as this wouldn't have any troubles with a fanbase, since I know there is a large community of TCG Players and Game Makers that would love to support this.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
it could also be done in rmxp, and it wouldn't be as hard as what you think (atleast in theary) it would only take a few set "if then" cammans. to make the ai. but you would still have to code everything else...

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
it could also be done in rmxp, and it wouldn't be as hard as what you think (atleast in theary) it would only take a few set "if then" cammans. to make the ai. but you would still have to code everything else...

Actually, all that would do is make an extremely predictable and easily beaten AI. That's why it's so hard. Anyway, there is a similar thing for Yu-Gi-Oh!, and it is somewhat interesting in how it's run. Unfortunately, liek every other card game I've seen turned into a digital game, AI is pretty bad, and they sometimes allow NPCs to cheat to give them a fighting chance. For example, I have not yet seen a single Yu-Gi-Oh! AI that understands what effect damage it. I can equip their monsters with a specific card that hurts them when they attack, and they will sontinue attacking until they lose. (I know that Pokemon is a very different game, but I'm just giving an example of how difficult the AI really is to program, and simple oversights that occur)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I had a similar idea to this for my game, as a minigame/side game. I could probably deal with mechanics, but as has been said, the AI would be a headache. I'll be following this.

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
I would be more interested in it been an online batting game rather than a storyline driven card game like the one that Nintendo made for the GBC

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2008
It's sort of a pity, because there's so much potential for adorableness in a story about a kid collecting trading cards to compete for glory against other kids.

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
Umm...I think I'll just stick to the licenced Pokemon TCG for GameBoy Color for now. Still, I wish you all the best of luck.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
This sounds good. I've never heard of this idea before, so this is pretty original.
I would never be able to make a game like this, but I like the idea. I've played Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Games for the GameBoyAdvance, but I'm not sure how a Pokémon game will turn out. Good luck!

Years
I like the idea, that was fun game. If someone decides to code it, they should probably make a way for people to submit cards, so that one person doesn't have to do all of it. Like an extra program that creates files that the creator can import into the game. Just a though, to make it seem like a much more easy/doable job for the programmer.

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
I keep seeing people say this game idea is original, so I just have to ask...

Am I the only person alive who remembers the Pokemon Trading Card Game cartridge for Gameboy Color?!!!?! Am I?!!
Seriously, this idea is OLD! Dust old! Also, it sucked. It was playable, fun for its time even, but on the whole it was buggy and sucked...JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TCG THAT GETS TURNED INTO A VIDEOGAME!!! [/rant]

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I keep seeing people say this game idea is original, so I just have to ask...

Am I the only person alive who remembers the Pokemon Trading Card Game cartridge for Gameboy Color?!!!?! Am I?!!
Seriously, this idea is OLD! Dust old! Also, it sucked. It was playable, fun for its time even, but on the whole it was buggy and sucked...JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TCG THAT GETS TURNED INTO A VIDEOGAME!!! [/rant]

That's just what it was, a game for the Gameboy Color! Yes it had its glitches, buy I loved that game, and you obviously can't appreciate the Pokemon TCG for what it is.

Relying on an old saying, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all -_-

---

Look people, the idea is there and it appears that people have the proper motivation. Sure, the AI will be an ordeal, but other than that, it would be easy to create a TCG fangame.
If a bunch of crappy programmers in a room can create lame Poker games for the GBA, we can obviously create a good Pokemon TCG e-game -_-

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
That's just what it was, a game for the Gameboy Color! Yes it had its glitches, buy I loved that game, and you obviously can't appreciate the Pokemon TCG for what it is.

Relying on an old saying, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all -_-

Sorry. Got a little carried away there. My real point was that people here are talking like this is the first time anyone has ever done the Pokemon TCG as a videogame. Truth told, I used to love the old one, bugs and all. I just want people here to give credit where it's due and recognize the effort of those who went before them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Sorry. Got a little carried away there. My real point was that people here are talking like this is the first time anyone has ever done the Pokemon TCG as a videogame. Truth told, I used to love the old one, bugs and all. I just want people here to give credit where it's due and recognize the effort of those who went before them.

I don't see where anyone was saying anything wrong about the Official Pokemon TCG Game...

Yes its been done before, but I'm saying we could do it better.

If what you're saying is true, that means anyone who has ever made their own Fangame is disrespecting the original games in some way.

Obviously, they are not.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
I don't see where anyone was saying anything wrong about the Official Pokemon TCG Game...

Yes its been done before, but I'm saying we could do it better.

If what you're saying is true, that means anyone who has ever made their own Fangame is disrespecting the original games in some way.

Obviously, they are not.

I'm not sure that's what they meant. From what I gather, the original post was actually intended to point out several posts in this topic that appeared as though the posters thought that this would be the first game of its kind. (For example, a couple posts above his OP, by Esmas) I also think he wanted to point out, as we already have, that it is extremely difficult to make a competent AI for any video game, much less one that's playing a card game. (Many, many more possibilities there!) Remember, the AI in Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories was so bad that they had to let the opponent's break some of the most fundamental rules of the game to give them a chance. (Specifically, they could use three of any card, whereas you were limited in quite a few places...)

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
I'm not sure that's what they meant. From what I gather, the original post was actually intended to point out several posts in this topic that appeared as though the posters thought that this would be the first game of its kind. (For example, a couple posts above his OP, by Esmas) I also think he wanted to point out, as we already have, that it is extremely difficult to make a competent AI for any video game, much less one that's playing a card game. (Many, many more possibilities there!) Remember, the AI in Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories was so bad that they had to let the opponent's break some of the most fundamental rules of the game to give them a chance. (Specifically, they could use three of any card, whereas you were limited in quite a few places...)

Yes, thank you. You have caught my meaning exactly.
Really though, I think the flaws in GX Duel Academy were greater infractions though. There were instances of cards doing things that either were not a part of their text, or in some cases having effects that directly contradicted the text of the card.

While it is certainly possible to make an AI that will play realistically, there are some problems in doing so. First, is the detail in coding required. Second, to make good use of an AI that does not cheat, you will actually need several AI, each designed to represent a different play style, or you will have to bloat the one main AI with so many conditional modifiers to its play that you all but guarantee that it will be riddled with glitches. Third, to make the hard opponents progressively harder either requires making "champions" with laughably underpowered decks, sticking the player with ridiculous constraints and disadvantages, overpowering the decks of later players in a way that would never be possible in real life, or allowing the computer to cheat after all.

However, if all of this can be overcome. If the game can possess an Intelligence that is both fair and challenging. If, above all else, you can make the game enjoyable...well, you'll have done something that corporate designers still haven't quite managed. So, good luck.

Back