• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice needed.

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
Hi. I'm not a complete beginner when it comes to game design, but I'm not advanced either. I've used Game Maker several times, but I'm not very experienced with it. Is it easier to actually make a game from scratch or rom hack? And if so, what program do you recommend? Thanks.

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
Years
I believe hacking is easy, but so is killing, and stealing.

Point is, it would be easier, but its also illegal. The best program for noobs would be Game Maker, or RPG Maker 2000 or 2003.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
I believe hacking is easy, but so is killing, and stealing.

Point is, it would be easier, but its also illegal. The best program for noobs would be Game Maker, or RPG Maker 2000 or 2003.

Yes, hacking can be easy. That is, if you are willing to accept not being able to do anything original, constant loss of data, and the inability to add new Pokemon. Those kinds of things makes hacking much more difficult than straight game development, where you don't have to use the base code that Nintendo used.

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
Thanks guys. So I think I'll make one from scratch. I heard with RPG Maker XP, there is a pokemon starter kit? Pokemon essentials, I Think.

Back