• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Twilight Chronicles (PG-13)

Pokemon Hero

Don't Tread on Me
Years
This is my first fanfic here on PokeCommunity. It is based off the Mystery Dungeon games. A few notes:

-There will be violence. That's why this will be rated PG-13.

-It is based off the games, but not dependent on the games. You'll see right away.

-All critisim and comments are welcome. I have not been writing fan fics a long time and advice really helps out.

-A Table of Contents will be added as more chapters are posted. I will attempt to get one chapter a week up, but some weeks it may take longer due to real world conflicts.

Enough talking for me. I now present...The Twilight Chronicles

Prologue: The Cliffs by the Sea

Zach sighed and looked back at the town. I am never going back, he thought. Normally a moment like this would make him feel emotional. But this was different. He felt no remorse for leaving this town, even though it was where he grew up. He had nothing left there. No friends, no family, not even a person who knew his name.
His clothes were worn out greatly. His jeans had numerous holes in them, and his T-shirt was gray, though when he first got the shirt it was red. His brown hair was very unkempt and his shoes barely fit. Yet he stood there like he was one of the heroes of old off on a quest.

He put this out of his mind and looked out ahead of him. In front of where he stood,
not even a hundred yards away, a sheer cliff dropped down to the sea below, rocks jutting out from the sea bottom at its base. But from where he stood the views were amazing. The setting sun created sharp contrasts on the surface of the sea as rolled towards the cliffs.

One era of my life ends, he thought looking out over the sea, and another begins. He started strolling down a path. On his right was the cliff that led to the sea; on the left there was a patch of woods. Due to the terrain this was the only place a path could be put, running parallel between where the forest ends and the sea begins.

Zach sat down against a giant rock and took off his backpack. He pulled out a sandwich and started eating. No one will miss me, he thought and he knew that he was right. He ran away from the orphanage in the town, where he had lived since he was nine. Now fifteen, he was tired of being held down.

He used to have a family: a mother and a father. However, one rainy day, Zach and his parents were driving home when their car was hit head on. His parents were killed instantly, yet he somehow escaped without injury. Many times Zach found himself, especially on rainy nights, wondering why he survived, why hadn't he died like the rest of his family? As the times passed, his memories of his parents had faded. He somewhat remembered their faces, full of compassion and caring. But they grew bleary over time.

Tears filled his eyes as he thought about them. He wiped his tears. The orphanage was horrible. It was so crowded that at times many kids would not even have beds to sleep on. Many families had come on looked at the kids during his time there. Not once had any of them inquired about him. He wasn't the best looking of the kids and he wasn't gifted in any sort of way. He was a quiet person, modest in action. Many times he had given up his bed to a younger kid or someone who was new. He felt their pain, even if they couldn't feel his. None of them talked to him, none tried to form friendships. They knew that forming friendships made it a lot tougher for them to find a home.

Now here he was, sitting in the world, without anyone looking after him. This is how he preferred it now. He would look after himself and try to accomplish his greatest goal: to become the greatest Pokemon trainer, a dream he had held since his parents were still alive. This goal was now more important than ever to him. It was his major connection to his parents, a way to feel their presence.

Zach was off to the nearest town. There was the lab of a professor who had given many new trainers in the region their starting Pokemon. He thought about what Pokemon he wanted to get. I always wanted a Chimchar, he thought, remembering a Chimchar that his former neighbors used to have. He was an amusing Pokemon, often making faces at people behind their backs and having fun. That is the Pokemon I want, he decided, someone who is carefree and fun. He settled down to rest his tired body.

Just as he was starting to relax, a loud cry pierced the evening air and Zach's ears. He looked around him for the source of the noise. Suddenly a flurry of action came pouring out of the woods. A Chimchar came staggering out and ran towards the boulder where Zach was sitting. Before he could make, a large dog-like Pokemon landed in front of him and cut him off. A Houndoom, Zach thought, looking at the large Pokemon's jet-black fur and horn-like ears. The poor Chimchar turned around to go back into the woods, but two more Houndoom jumped out and blocked his escape path.

Zach could only watch as the three Houndoom attacked at once, biting and tossing it in the air like a rag doll. Chimchar had no way to defend the attacks. They're going to kill that Chimchar, he started to think, why do they want to kill it? What has it done to them? The Houndoom backed off for a break in the attack. Chimchar laid flat on the ground, barely breathing. If he stood up, the Houndoom would finish him for sure. They stood watching their prey, eyes blazing with the desire to kill. Zach decided that it was time to act.

He reached down and picked up a few medium sized stones. Then he stepped out from behind the rock.

"Hey you!" he shouted at the pack, "Pick on someone your own size."

At once all three Houndoom turned to face Zach. They looked even more savage than they had from the behind the rock. Now or never, he thought. He wound up and threw one of his stones at the closest Houndoom. The stone hit the ground in front of it. Now the Houndoom came charging at Zach, their desire to kill directed at the new target.

"Oh crap," he muttered under his breath as the Houndoom charged at him, "I forgot about this." Immediately, he started to climb the giant rock. He looked back at where Chimchar laid. The poor Pokemon was breathing heavy and unable to stand.

"Chimchar!" Zach yelled to the Pokemon, "Get out of here! This is your chance." However, Chimchar couldn't stand up. He's too tired and beat up, he thought sadly, How can I save him?

A sharp pain interrupted his thoughts. One of the Houndoom grabbed his left ankle and was pulling him down off the rock. Zach tried desperately to kick off Houndoom with his free leg. Houndoom, however was too strong. He was dragged down to the ground and found himself surrounded by the three Houndoom. Now what? he now thought, cornered against the rock. His hand found his backpack lying next to him on the ground. It gave him an idea.

Without hesitating, he grabbed the backpack and stood up. Holding onto one of the straps, Zach swung it around in a large, looping arch in front of him. He hit one of Houndoom in the face and sent it staggering backwards towards the edge of the cliff. Zach now threatened the other two with the backpack. They backed up to where their comrade had landed, hoping to avoid being hit. Now Zach was forcing all three Houndoom backward towards the edge of the cliff. It's actually working, he thought, continuing to pressure the three backward.

However one of the Houndoom noticed how close to the edge they were getting. It decided that enough was enough and went after Zach. He swung the bag with all his might at the charging Pokemon, but he missed. Houndoom launched himself on top of Zach and started ripping at his already sore and cut-up body. The others two cried triumphantly when they saw this opportunity and attacked as well.

Zach wouldn't give up. "I will not die this way!" he yelled out. He started kicking and punching at the Houndoom that were attacking. He grabbed one of them by its horn-like ears and, using most of his strength, tossed it off of him. They were now right at the edge of the cliff. You could clearly see the waves crash violently against the rocks below.

Suddenly, the ground started to buckle and crumble beneath Zach and the Houndoom. Before anyone could react, the ground gave way. All of them were sent plummeting down. The Houndoom cried out in fear for their lives. Zach, however remained silent.
So this is how I die, he thought morosely, as the rocks grew closer, Is this why I didn't die in that car wreck? So I could die doing something more important? Was I never meant to live a happy life? Was I never supposed to have…a family?

He sighed. "At least I died doing good."

After he said this, his body landed into the sea below and was sent crashing against a giant rock. He felt great pain through his body. Then everything went black and he felt no more.

Chimchar stood up and looked to where the boy was just standing. He had just watched as the cliff gave out below him and sent him and the Houndoom falling down to the sea below.

No, he thought, as he staggered to where the ground gave way. No, please no. He can't be…No way. He looked down the cliff to the waters below. In the twilight, all he could see was churning sea crashing into the rocks below. Chimchar could see no signs of the boy or the Houndoom that had pursued him.
Then, a little ways down, he spotted something. At one place, a beach had formed at the base of the cliffs, as the cliffs had eroded greatly there. A large object had just washed up upon the sands. Could it be…?

Chimchar ran to where the cliff was shortest at this area. Then, slowly as to not fall himself, he climbed down the cliff face to beach below. He was exhausted when he reached the bottom, but when he saw what the object was, he forgot about any pain or tiredness he felt. He staggered to where it lay. When he realized what it was he sat down next to it, put his head on its chest, and started to cry.

It was the boy's body.

"Why…" Chimchar choked up between tears, "why did you do this? Why did you try to save me? Why didn't you run away when things got bad?"
He knew no response would come from the boy, but he couldn't help asking these questions. Never had he seen anyone, human or Pokemon, give up so much to do something for someone so poor and weak. He continued to cry until he felt like no more tears would come out.

Someone like me, he thought, a feeling of guilt overwhelming him. He had known better than to enter the Houndoom's territory, but he did anyway. He knew he couldn't fight back against the Houndoom, yet he tried to fight them and was sorely beaten. This boy, without a single thought for his own safety, raced to protect him. My stupidity had cost the life of an innocent human.

Chimchar wiped his nose and looked up at the sky. Darkness had now fallen, and the first stars started to appear. Though he couldn't see it from where he sat, the moon was beginning to rise high in the sky behind him.

He looked pleadingly towards the heavens and folded his hands in a reverent sort of way. "Please," he began to speak, "if someone, anyone can hear me. Please someone help this boy's soul so it dies forever. Please, I beg. He gave his life up to protect me. Don't let this be it for him. Someone…please…"

Suddenly, a bright pulsating ball of light appeared in front of Chimchar. It was small at first, about the size of a small Cheri berry. But it grew in size exponentially into a large orb, twice as big as his head. This large orb then split into three orbs of the same size. Chimchar watched amazed by what he was seeing, as these orbs morphed into three Pokemon, floating in the air. Chimchar immediately recognized that these were the legendary Pokemon of the lakes of Sinnoh: Azelf, the "Being of Willpower" and guardian of Lake Valor; Mespirit, the "Being of Emotion" and guardian of Lake Verity; and Uxie, the "Being of Knowledge" and guardian of Lake Acuity. They had been created by the Original One to keep the world in balance. Chimchar turned his eyes away, feeling greatly unworthy of being in their presence.

"Why do you look away from us?" Mespirit inquired of him, speaking kindly and with caring. "It is alright to look. Do not be afraid." Chimchar turned to face the three in front of him. Mespirit had a gentle smile on its face directed towards him. The others, however, had more serious looks on their faces.

"We heard your crying and your prayer," Uxie said, "and we have come to help."

"You…you…you have?" Chimchar responded gratefully, "I…I…don't know what to say…th…thank…thank you."

"However," Azelf spoke in a commanding voice, "we cannot make any guarantees. It is not our decision to make."

"That's right," Uxie said, "That is up to someone more powerful than us."

"Is that him over there?"

Chimchar nodded. "Yes that is him."

Azelf looked at Uxie and both nodded in agreement. "We shall take him with us," Azelf said, "and try to convince the Original One to reprieve his soul and give him a new life." With that Azelf grabbed the boy's arms while Uxie grabbed his legs. Then the two of them disappeared along with the body. Mespirit was about to follow them when Chimchar grabbed its arm.

"Please," Chimchar begged, down on his knees, "let me come with you. Let me help."

Mespirit shook its head. "Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. Only Azelf, Uxie, and myself can really do this. The Original One created us when the world began, and not many other beings can approach him like us. I am very sorry."

Chimchar's head hung in disappointment. Mespirit puts its hands on his shoulders.

"Don't worry," Mespirit assured him, "We will make sure that he gets another chance. You, my friend, need to get rest. You've had a very long and stressful day. Good bye."

Mespirit turned away from Chimchar and disappeared into the darkness, following the others. Chimchar was now alone the beach. He looked at the cliff face that towered above him. There's no way I can climb back up, he thought feeling the pains of battle from earlier. He looked and found a pile of leaves nearby. Quietly, he set to work making a bed out of the leaves in a spot protected from the wind. As he fell asleep, two words left his lips, two words he wished that he had said to the boy before he died or to Mespirit before leaving…

"Thank you…"

<End Prologue>

Pokemon Hero

Don't Tread on Me
Years
Well, after a bit brainstorming at school (I think I took more notes for this story then I did actual useful notes for class) and some typing at home, I have the first chapter. This is shorter than the Prologue. Once again, all comments and suggestions are welcome, as I will attempt to make this the best story I possibly can.
Without further to do, I present...

Chapter 1: A New Beginning

"Is he breathing?"

"I don't know. Let's move closer."

Zach slowly opened up his eyes. Where am I? He was looking up at a perfect blue sky above him. He could see the tops of leafy green trees towering high above him. He could hear the sound of running water, which he guessed was from a nearby creek. It was warm, yet a cool breeze swept across his body, making him shiver a little.

He sat up and started to rub his head, which had a dull ache. He thought he heard voices, but believed they were in his head. "What's going on here?"

A Pokemon walked up next to him. It looked very much like a dog and had very thick brown and white fur. Its black eyes looked at Zach with curiosity. "You mean you don't know how you ended up here?" a female voice asked. But it didn't come from a person; it came from the Pokemon.

Zach did a double-take, "Did…you…did you just talk?"

"Yeah," she answered, as though it seemed quite obvious, "My name's Eevee, what's yours?"

Zach crawled away from Eevee as quickly as possible. "But…but…you're not supposed to talk."

"Well, her mouth is moving isn't it?" a new voice responded from behind him. This was a strong male voice. Zach turned around and found himself staring at what looked like a blue-green dinosaur with large green bulb on its back. "My name's Bulbasaur by the way."

Zach tried to convince himself that he hadn't heard him. "Okay, this is a joke, right? Someone's idea of a sick joke by making me believe that Pokemon can talk?"

Eevee started to walk over towards Zach. "You're a Pokemon too. You know that right? Maybe you need some more rest. You might have…"

"I'm not a Pokemon! I'm a human!" Zach yelled at her angrily, cutting her off. She stopped where she was standing.

"Uh, let's see…" Bulbasaur started, looking over Zach, "Red hair all over your body. Flaming butt. Giant ears. Eyes disproportional with the rest of your head. Either you are some midget human dressed in a Chimchar costume, or you're a Chimchar."

"But I'm not…"

"Look," Bulbasaur cut Zach off, "Look at your reflection over in the creek. Maybe that will convince you." He pointed in the direction of the sound of the running water.

"Fine," Zach conceded, bringing himself to his feet. For some odd reason, he felt very short. He walked over towards the creek and got on his knees. What if they're telling the truth, he thought to himself. No, they can't be telling the truth, it can't be true. Slowly, he looked into the water.

A Chimchar's face reflected back at him.

They hadn't been lying. I am really am a Chimchar. He fell backward and sat on the ground. "But I'm a human. This has got to be a dream," he cried, burying his head into his hands, "It can't be anything else. It's gotta be a dream…"

Eevee walked over to Zach and sat down next to him on his left. "This isn't a dream," she said, putting a paw onto his shoulder, "I don't know what's going on with you. Are you okay?"

Zach shook his head, "I just woke up here. I can't remember anything. The only things I know are my name and that I am human."

"Nothing else?"

"No," Zach said sadly, "nothing. I really want to know what's going on."
Bulbasaur walked over to Zach and Eevee. "From the looks of things, we know just about as much as you do."

Zach looked at Eevee and Bulbasaur. There were genuine looks of concern on their faces. Obviously, they were worried about him. He had a question to ask, something that had really been bugging him the whole time. "Do you believe me?"

They looked confused. "About what?" Eevee asked.

"About me being human. Do you believe me?"

Bulbasaur nodded, "Yes, we believe you. Something about the way you acted seemed…"

"…odd," Eevee finished. "You seem quite intent on believing you are human. Plus, its kinda strange you just appeared here with no memory."

"Thanks," Zach sighed, relieved, "I thought I was going insane."

"Well there is still that possibility…"

"Hey…"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," Eevee chuckled.

"That's not funny," Zach responded sternly, but he wasn't angry. In actuality he felt much more relaxed now. They believe me. Maybe this isn't as bad as I thought…

Bulbasaur tapped Eevee's shoulder. "We've got to get back to the village. We still need to find our last member for our Rescue Squad."

Eevee looked back at Bulbasaur and nodded, "Right." She turned to Zach, "You should come with us. We can find somewhere for you to stay in the village until you can find somewhere to live permanently. Unless of course, you want to stay in the woods…"

Zach was confused. "Pokemon have villages?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot you're new around here," Eevee started, "Yes, there are villages. Humans just have no way to get to them."

Zach thought about it for a moment. The village sounded very interesting. Plus there would be many other Pokemon there. Maybe someone there could help him.

"Alright," Zach replied, "I'll come with you guys. I've got nowhere else to go."

"Awesome," Bulbasaur said, running past Zach, "Last one to the village is a rotten Exeggcute!"

"Wait up," Eevee yelled after Bulbasaur, running after him.

Zach stood there for a moment and shrugged. This is gonna be interesting, he thought to himself, as he ran off after the others.

<End Chapter 1>

Last edited:

Pokemon Hero

Don't Tread on Me
Years
Finally, here's Chapter 2. Sorry I haven't updated here for a while, as I have had a lot of schoolwork to do. Once again, this is a short chapter, but trust me the next one is a bit longer. Hopefullly, I can get some more people to read this. But anyways, I present:

Chapter 2: Team Twilight

"I told you we should've taken a left at the tree back there."

"No, we're going the right way. This takes you past the lake and to the village."

"You're wrong. We needed to take a left to get to the lake."

"What is about you and left turns?"

"I like lefts…"

Zach sighed. He had been listening to Bulbasaur and Eevee argue as the three of them walked along a seemingly endless path. Maybe I should have stayed back where I was, he thought to himself, but he quickly shook it from his mind. He had nowhere else to go and they had been eager to help him out. And they actually believe me…

Zach hadn't been paying attention to the path and nearly fell over a rock that jutted out in front of him. Quickly, he regained his composure and continued walking. Neither Eevee or Bulbasaur had noticed what happened; they were still arguing about directions.

"…I told you," Eevee said, gritting her teeth, "we are going the right way."

"But we aren't," Bulbasaur retorted, "We needed to go…"

Before Bulbasaur could finish, Zach broke in. "Could you two just stop arguing?" he asked the two of them. They stopped and looked back at Zach.

"Sorry, uh…" Bulbasaur started, but he had to stop. Zach realized why.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you my name. It's Zach."

"Okay Zach. Sorry."

"That's a nice name," Eevee said thoughtfully, "I guess your parents named you that."

"I guess," Zach replied, rubbing the back of his head as he walked over to the others. "I don't remember how I got it. I just know that it's Zach."

"Oh yeah," Eevee said quietly to herself, remembering that Zach had no memory of being human. "I shouldn't have said that."

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Nothing…"

Zach shrugged and they resumed walking along the path towards what they thought (or at least what Eevee and Zach thought) was the way out of the woods. Zach decided to try and learn more about the world he was in now.

"So you guys said you were trying to find a final member for what now?" he asked curiously, remembering the conversation that Eevee and Bulbasaur had earlier.

"A Rescue Squad," Eevee replied excitedly, "Bulbasaur and I have been trying to form one for a while now."

"But what exactly is a Rescue Squad?"

"You're joking right?" Bulbasaur asked him with a curious look.

"Well remember I'm kinda new and all…"

"Right, sorry," Bulbasaur apologized. Then he explained to Zach what a Rescue Squad was. "Basically, there are disasters and accidents happening constantly around us. So there are groups of Pokemon called Rescue Squads who go out and rescue other Pokemon and try to solve what is causing the problems."

Eevee nodded. "A few years ago there were many disasters involving the weather. But that problem was solved and recently, things have been a little quieter."

"But," Bulbasaur continued, "there are still accidents and Pokemon that need to be rescued. And that's where Eevee and I come in. We are, well we will be when we get our last member, Team Twilight..."

"Cool name," Zach broke in.

"Yeah, I thought that you might like it." Bulbasaur went on to explain all aspects of Rescue Squads, from the Dungeons to the Missions and Rewards. Zach listened with great interest.

Wow, Zach thought, that sounds kind of exciting. "Maybe I could be that last person…er…I mean Pokemon," he suggested, changing the last part of what he said. Darn it Zach, you have to think like a Pokemon. You're a Pokemon now.

"I'm sorry man," Bulbasaur told Zach promptly, "but we're kinda looking for someone with a little more experience. No offense to you, but we want to get started right away."

"I hope you understand," Eevee said to consul him.

"Don't worry, I understand," Zach replied with some disappointment, "Maybe I could find another Squad later."

Bulbasaur nodded. "There's plenty around. You should be able to find a Squad

The group had now reached break in the woods. A large, crystal-clear lake spread out in front of them. The water rippled gently and the reeds by the shore swayed in the breeze.

"Ha," Eevee chortled triumphantly, looking at Bulbasaur, "I told you we were going the right way."

"Get off it," Bulbasaur replied.

But before another argument could begin, a rumbling sound interrupted them. Eevee and Bulbasaur looked back at Zach.

"Sorry," he apologized to them, "Guess I'm hungry."

"Yeah I'm hungry too," Bulbasaur said, smiling.

"Look," Eevee said, pushing past Zach and Bulbasaur towards a bush. "Oran Berries!" Sure enough, Zach could see numerous blue berries ripe for the harvest on the bush Eevee was running towards. She began picking a few off the bush. "Here, try some," offering some of the Oran Berries to them.

Zach heard something unwinding from behind him. A vine whipped past Zach head. He had just ducked at the last second to avoid being hit by it. The vine grabbed an Oran Berry from Eevee's paws and retracted back past Zach's head again. It was then that he realized that the vine had come from the bulb on Bulbasaur's back. Bulbasaur sat down and ate his Berry, a look of pleasure on his face as he savored every bite.

Zach walked over to Eevee. He took one of the Berries out of Eevee's paws. "You sure these aren't poisonous?"

She chuckled, "Of course not. They actually boost your energy and health. Try it."

Still Zach hesitated. However, he saw both Bulbasaur and Eevee eat their Berries with no ill effects. Well, I might as well. He took a small bite out of it. Immediately, he felt a rush of energy flow through his body as the sweet taste filled his mouth. "Whoa…"

"Yes?" asked Eevee, looking at him curiously.

"This…this…this…IS AWESOME!!!" Zach exclaimed, and before you could say another word, he had eaten the rest of the Berry. "Man those are good…"

Eevee sighed. I keep forgetting that he's new, she thought to herself. Maybe he could join us. She decided to take counsel with Bulbasaur. "Hey Bulba…"

A loud cry of pain cut her off. Zach and Bulbasaur had heard it as well and were trying to figure out where it came from. "There," Zach yelled pointing somewhere across the lake. Sure enough, the cry came up again from where Zach was pointing, sending a few bird Pokemon flying out of the trees.

Eevee looked at Bulbasaur and nodded. "Come on, we got to see what's up."

With that, Eevee and Bulbasaur started running as fast as they could around the lake to the sound. Zach hesitated for a moment. Should I follow them? He knew that if a fight broke out, he wouldn't be able to do anything. But what if they needed help? His heart was pounding. He couldn't just stand here waiting for them. He had to see what was going on.

Zach got to his feet and picked a few Oran Berries off a nearby bush. These could be useful, he thought to himself, remembering what Eevee had told him about them. Silently, he ran as fast as he could to try and catch up with Eevee and Bulbasaur.

<End Chapter 2>

Back