• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Life with Kira

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
(Rated E for everyone)

"Life with Kira"

Episode 1: Kira's New Home

The soft thud of footsteps on the stairs alerted the snoozing Pikachu that its master was home. It hopped off the bed, dashed out the door, and glanced down the stairs, where it could see a brown haired girl clad in a hunter green T-shirt and jeans climbing up to meet it. What really piqued the Pikachu was the small box with airholes that was tucked under the girl's right arm. I wonder what's inside that box? it thought as it followed her master into the bedroom, being extra careful not to step on the Squirtle that now napped on a space of beige carpet by the bed.

Finally, the girl set the box on the ground and opened a small shutter at the front. "Okay, Kira...we're home!" At this, the Pikachu noticed the tiny paw of a Pichu step from the box. The Pichu peeked its head out a few seconds later, as if sizing up the soft carpet, the various items in the room, and the Pikachu quizzically looking it it. Finally, the Pichu worked up enough courage to step from the box and onto the carpet. Satisfied that the Pichu was out in the open, the girl carried it over to a corner by the window, where a small basket, litter tray, and a few toys lay. "There, Kira...this is your special place."

<Who's the Pikachu, Kimi?> the Pichu asked.

The girl just smiled. "I forgot to intoduce you to your new playmates...this is Lita..." she started, pausing to scoop the Pikachu in her arms.

<Kira, huh? Nice to meet you!> the Pikachu smiled.

"And this is Brenna..." Kimi continued as she set the Squirtle shell on the floor and gently tapped it. "Come on, sleepyhead..."

<What is it?"> the Squirtle yawned as it emerged from the shell, much to Kira's delight. <Oh!> she smiled when she saw the tiny yellow mouse Pokemon before her. <You must be the Pichu Kimi's been talking about all week!.>

"You two will play nice with Kira, won't you?" Kimi asked. Both Pokemon nodded. "Okay, but if you try to hurt her, there will be consequences." she warned as she gestured to a spray bottle that lay by some plants on a shelf.

<We know--anything but the spray bottle!> Brenna gasped.

"Okay then..." and Kimi left the room.

Kira was curious. <What's so bad about a bottle?>

<Kimi uses that if we don't do as we're told...the mist comes out really fast, and it hurts!> Lita explained. She shuddered about her last spraying--she had gotten caught sneaking cookies from the cookie jar three times in one day, and the third offense earned the spraying. The sudden discomfort as the mist rained down on her fur was still a fond memory to her.

<However, she'll only spray you after repeated offenses or if you do something really bad.> Brenna assured Kira.

<Like what?>

<Oh, messing up Kimi's stuff, doing something she's told you not to do multiple times...> Brenna sighed. <If you just behave, you won't get sprayed.>

<Okay!> Kira smiled.

<Who's the Pichu?> a Torchic asked as it walked in the room.

<Starshine, this is Kira.> Brenna explained. <Kimi adopted her from the breeding center today.>

Starshine studied Kira for a moment, as if sizing up the tiny electric mouse before her. Kira did the same, interested in the orange chick that was looking quizzically at her. After a few minutes of looking at each other, Kira poked Starshine. <Tag, you're it!>

<I'm gonna getcha!> With that, Starshine took off after Kira.

<At least that's one problem solved...> Brenna sighed with relief. <I was worried Starshine was gonna burn the little girl.> No sooner had she said that, did she hear a crash, followed by an exasperated cry of "Starshine..." from downstairs.

<Uh oh...> Lita darted downstairs, and peeked in the living room, where Starshine's feet and Kira's tail poked up like sprouts from a pile of books.

"You two all right?" Kimi asked as she fished Starshine and Kira from the pile of books.

<All we wanted to do was play tag...> Starshine protested as she eased herself to her feet.

"I know, but next time, do it in a large empty room, okay?" Kimi assured Starshine as she brushed debris from Kira.

<Okay!> Kira replied as Kimi set her back on the floor, where she romped to rejoin Lita, Brenna, and Starshine.

"That reminds me..." Kimi continued as she set the books back on the shelf. "Pichus learn by example, so I want you three to teach her what is acceptable behavior by doing what you're told."

<How's doing what you tell us to do gonna help?> Brenna was piqued by her master's request. Training a baby Pokemon was a task in itself, but was it as easy as modeling acceptable behavior?

<By seeing you guys, she'll learn what is a good thing to do, and what isn't.> Kimi replied. "So if she sees me practicing one of my instruments, and she has a small instrument, like a whistle, she'll learn that to get good at playing it, you practice."

Kira, meanwhile, had wandered over to another corner of the living room, where she saw a beautiful black acoustic guitar sitting on a stand. A red and white electric guitar sat on a second stand next to the acoustic. <I wonder what this is...> She was about to reach out to pluck one of the strings on the acoustic guitar when Starshine gently nudged her away. <Wha...>

<Sorry, but only Kimi gets to touch that.> Starshine explained.

<I only wanted to know what the stringy things did!> Kira protested.

<Kimi plays in a rock band, and that instrument is what she plays.> Brenna explained. <It's called a guitar.>

<What's a rock band?> Kira was fascinated by this.

Starshine couldn't resist laughing as Lita and Brenna racked their brains for the best way to explain a rock band to a Pichu. She's quite inquisitive--I think life around here's gonna be interesting with her around....

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 2: Kira's Potty Panic

<Guys, I just realized something...> Lita sighed as she watched Kira snooze in her basket. <Sooner or later, all the food and Berries Kira eats is going to have to go somewhere...>

<Ew...> Starshine winced. She knew where the conversation was probably going to go: teaching Kira how to use the litter pan that lay next to the basket. Granted, having to clean pee from every location in the house was not a very attractive alternative either.

<So why don't we save Kimi a lot of frustration by potty training Kira?> Brenna suggested. <Besides, Kimi did say Pichus learn by imitation, right?>

<Right...> Lita and Starshine replied.

<So if she sees us using our potties, she'll use hers too!> Brenna concluded. <Plus, we need to reward her when she goes in the proper place...>

<Where's you hear that?> Starshine was interested.

<In here.> Brenna climbed on top of Kimi's bookshelf and pulled out a blue book with a happy Pichu being cuddled by a boy trainer on the cover. <"The Ultimate Guide to Pichu Care"> After tucking the book in one arm and climbing down to the floor again, she opened it to a page with a picture of a girl trainer rewarding a Pichu with a Berry. <When training Pichu, it's important to remember that they learn by example, so modeling the desired behavior is a must. Rewarding the desired behavior will also increase the chances of learning the behavior.>

<English, please...> Lita was confused.

<In other words, if we also reward Kira when she goes in the right place, she'll be more likely to learn to go in the litter pan.> Brenna explained. <So, who wants to try training her?>

<I do!> Starshine volunteered.

<What's going on?> Kira yawned as she woke up. Starshine was about to answer when Kira tensed up. <Gotta go to the bathroom!>

<Here!> Starshine lead Kira to the litter pan. <You can safely go here.>

Kira, meanwhile, curiously batted at a litter nugget. <Cool, little balls!> Lita, Brenna, and Starshine sweatdropped as Kira romped in the pan, litter flying everywhere in the process. After a few tense seconds, she remembered that nature was calling, and darted out the door.

<Where'd she go?> Lita asked, peeking down the hallway for any sign of where Kira had gone.

Starshine sighed as she heard a trickle of something liquid falling on a shirt coming from the living room. <Oh no...> She watched as Kimi walked in the room again, gently set Kira back in the litter pan, then left to toss the soiled shirt in the trash.

<What was that for? I went properly!> Kira was confused.

<No, that pan is where you should go next time.> Lita scolded. <Brenna, Starshine, and I do it all the time!>

<You go on your toys?> Kira asked, prompting a facefault from the older Pokemon.

Later that day...

<So, Professor Brenna; what should we do if Kira doesn't go in the proper place?> Lita sighed. Kira had not wanted to come out of her basket ever since the accident earlier that day. Every once in a while, she would look out and smile at the Pikachu, the Squirtle, and the Torchic; but for the most part, she had not talked or played with her toys for two hours.

Brenna reached for the book and thumbed to another page depicting a boy trainer doing what Kimi had done to Kira two hours before. <"If the Pichu doesn't go in the proper place, simply scold it with a firm 'No' and take it to the litter pan. By no means should you yell at or physically hit your Pichu as discipline--this will lead to shocking and distrust, among other antisocial behaviors.">

<I bet the writer never had a Pichu...> Starshine muttered as Kimi came to collect her laundry.

Kimi, meanwhile, stooped down to look at her Pichu. "You know, Kira...the litter pan is not a sandbox..."

<It's not?> Kira was piqued.

"No..." Kimi replied. "It's your own personal bathroom."

<Bathroom?> Kira was interested. Kimi nodded before taking Kira in her arms and starting towards the kitchen. But before Kimi could say anything else, she felt Kira start to squirm. Panicked, she raced back to her room and set Kira in the litter pan.

<Now for the moment of truth...> Lita smiled as Kira paced among the litter nuggets for a moment. After a few tense seconds, Brenna heard the trickle of something liquid on the nuggets, followed by applause from Kimi.

<She went!> Starshine called, gesturing to Kimi lavishing praise on Kira.

<The hard part is seeing whether she'll remember to do it every time, or if it will take a few tries.> Lita sighed. One successful time, while a sign of progress, did not mean Kira had been completely potty trained. Granted, there were some Pichus that learned very quickly after one successful time, but they were the exception, not the rule.

Kimi's smile suddenly turned to shock when she saw a tiny brown lump on a pillowcase a few moments later. "No..." she scolded, then returned Kira to the litter pan again. "The litter's for number two as well."

<So much for progress...> Starshine sighed.

Brenna glanced farther down the page and read <"While it may be tempting to let a Pichu go on their own after one successful use of the litter pan, it will more than likely take several tries before they learn the skill. Patience is key!">

<If a Pichu is this messy, I dread to know how a baby human is potty trained!> Starshine groaned. Everyone laughed as Kimi cleaned up Kira's second mess...

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
Pretty good so far. I can't wait to see the next part. Why not read mine called 'The Legend of Helfi'?

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 3: Kira and the Cartoon Caper

"Brenna? I'm leaving you, Starshine, and Lita in charge of Kira while I'm at the Pokemart." Kimi began as she slung her bag over her arm. After taking a minute to see if she had her wallet and her shopping list, she asked "Do you have any requests in the food department?"

<Ooh! Bring back some Leppa Berries for Kira!> Brenna cried. <I read in your Pichu care book that Pichus love those!>

Kimi giggled at this. "You have to remember that no two Pichus will probably not have the same interests in food...but if you want to give her some, I'll bring some of those back--and a little something special if she behaves."

<Okay!> Brenna replied before climbing off the kitchen counter and down to the floor.

"No crazy ideas, now...see ya." and with that, Kimi departed down the front walk, only stopping to wave goodbye to Brenna one last time. Once Kimi disappeared down the sidewalk, Brenna strolled down the hallway back to Kimi's room, where Lita and Starshine were playing with a deck of cards. Kira lay in her basket, interested in the unfolding game of "Go Fish".

<Got any threes?> Starshine asked.

<Go Fish.> was Lita's reply, prompting Starshine to draw a card, then set aside a completed set of 5's; which joined the queens, eights, and fours.

<Where'd Kimi go?> Kira wondered. <She usually brings us lunch about now.>

<She went shopping for food a little while ago.> Brenna replied as she grabbed a comic book off the bookshelf. <If you behave while she's gone, she'll bring home a surprise.>

<A surprise? Oh boy!> Kira smiled. <What is it?>

<Can't tell you, or I'd spoil it.> Brenna replied as she turned the page, giggling at the scene of Ash getting his finger pinched by a Krabby.

<Aw...> Kira just slumped back down in the basket again. Lita and Starshine looked tired of cards, judging from how they were gathering up the deck in preparation to put it away. Once the deck of cards was back in its box and inside the drawer Kimi usually kept it, she announced, <I'm bored...>

<Then what would you like to do?> Brenna smiled, tossing the comic aside and returning to the bookshelf. <Want to hear a story?> she asked, retrieving a red book that had the word "STORIES" on the cover.

<Not right now.> Kira sighed. <I'll wait for bedtime...>

Starshine gasped and looked at the clock. <Oh, it's almost time for cartoons!> she smiled. She led the charge downstairs and into the living room, where she sprawled out before the TV.

<What's that?> Kira was interested in the huge black screen before her.

<This is a TV.> Lita explained. <It's...> She thought for a moment, trying to think of a way to explain how a TV worked in simple to understand terms. <It's a box that makes pictures.> Kira nodded to show she understood.

<And a cartoon is a short movie, usually funny, that tells a story.> Starshine explained. <However, there are also scary cartoons, exciting cartoons, and lovey-dovey cartoons.>

<To tell the TV to make pictures, we use this thing.> Brenna explained as she picked up the remote. <This button tells it to start making pictures.> With that, she pressed the POWER button, beaming a picture of a weather map onscreen. <And this button tells it to change the picture.> With that, she pressed the CHANNEL + button. Kira watched, bemused, as scenes of Beasts running around a track, a boy and a girl kissing, a fierce battle in a warzone, and a detective examining something blipped by.

Just then, Lita spotted an image of a familiar caped Golduck onscreen. <Hey, go back! That's 'Darkwing Golduck'!>

<Okay, we'll watch this.> Brenna smiled as she studied the scene of a Chikorita shuddering in fear. A possessed Teddiursa doll approached, its black eyes signaling it was under the command of a sneering Alakazam.

<I hope the Chikorita is okay!> Kira worried. She shuddered some more as the Chikorita called. "Help me, somebody!"

<Don't worry, you'll know when Darkwing Golduck arrives to save the day.> Lita smiled.

"I am the terror that flaps in the night!" the TV proclaimed, prompting Kira to perk up and pay attention as the caped Golduck materialized from a puff of blue smoke, leaving him standing on a wall overlooking the room. "I am the missing Antidote from your trainer's survival kit! I am Darkwing Golduck!" Lita, Brenna, and Starshine cheered at this.

<How is a superhero like an antidote?> Kira was confused.

<Oh, he always says something humorous like that when he appears.> Starshine explained. Kira, meanwhile, continued to watch the unfolding mess of Water Pulses and Psychic blasts onscreen. I wonder what I would say if I were a superhero Pokemon... Piqued by this she darted from the room.

<Wait, the show's not over yet!> Starshine took off after Kira. Brenna just sighed--she hoped Kira was not about to do what she feared--attempt to make a Darkwing Golduck-style entrance for herself. If she tried making smoke with Kimi's fizzing soap cakes, Arceus only knew what Kimi would do. Or worse, what if she hurt herself trying to make that triumphant jump? The possibilities for Kira to get hurt were endless--she had to find her and tell her that cartoons were not real, and fast!

Meanwhile...

<Kira?> Brenna called as she peeked in the bathroom. At first glance, all seemed to be well, but then she looked again at the pile of soap cakes--two of them were missing! She swallowed hard as she looked in the towel closet--a towel was missing. Checking the dressup chest revealed that a widebrimmed hat and a button down shirt had disappeared.

<Any sign of Kira?> Starshine asked as Brenna tensly studied the clothes in the dressup chest.

<Well, there's a widebrimmed hat and a Darkwing Golduck style shirt missing from the dressup chest...> Brenna explained. <Plus, a towel and two cakes of Kimi's fizzing soap are missing from the bathroom...>

<If Kira took those, she should know that the soap only fizzes and releases smoke when it comes in contact with water--so we should see her making a return trip to the bathroom soon.> Starshine interjected.

The three Pokemon waited as they heard a triumphant squeak of <I am the--huh? Why are thse not making smoke?> The pitter pit of Pichu feet alerted Lita that Kira was returning to the bathroom!

<Ah ha!> Lita cried, surprising Kira and causing her to spark in surprise! She buried her face in the hat, fighting back tears all the while.

<We didn't mean to scare you...> Brenna assured Kira. <We only wanted to keep you from getting hurt.>

<All I wanted to do was make a dramatic entrance.> Kira protested, now in a slightly better mood.

<Well, dramatic entrances like that only work on TV.> Starshine started. <We can still play "Darkwing Golduck", just without the dramatics. Those can get you hurt if you're not careful.>

<Okay...> and Kira returned what she had taken to the bathroom and the dressup chest. Just as the four Pokemon finished cleaning up, Brenna heard the door slam. She motioned for the others to follow her into the kitchen, where Kimi was unloading groceries.

"Hello!" Kimi smiled. "Have you been a good Pichu today?" Kira nodded. "Okay..." With that, she gave Kira a Leppa Berry. As Kira nibbled on the small red and yellow Berry, she thought. Okay, so maybe I'm not cut out to be a superhero like Darkwing Golduck...maybe I could be like something else on TV! But, what are we going to watch tomorrow?

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 4: Kira and the Rock Band

<Ha...another beautiful day...> Kira yawned as she sat up in her basket, where she could see Lita, Brenna, and Starshine still sleeping. <I wonder what we're going to do today...>

Some talking from downstairs piqued her attention: "Yes...uh-huh...the gig's at 7:00 tomorrow night...yeah...is rehearsing today fine with you?...great!...I just got done cleaning up and soundproofing the basement, so the instruments and sound equipment should be just fine..." She thought back to her first day at home: Brenna had said Kimi was part of a "rock band"...but did that mean Kimi sang and played guitar with a bunch of rocks? This she had to see!

She skimpered back to the bedroom, where Lita was starting to stir. <Lita...>

<Good morning, Kira...what is it?> Lita groggily asked>

<I heard Kimi talking on the phone about instruments...> Kira started. <Does this mean I'll get to see the "rock band?">

<Yeah...some of Kimi's friends are coming to rehearse a show they're putting on for the public.> Lita replied. She was about to say more when she noticed Kira looking out the window. <What'cha looking at?>

<Looking for the rocks...> Kira replied.

Lita was confused. <The rocks?>

<The ones that are gonna sing with Kimi?> Kira asked, prompting Lita to sweatdrop.

<There's no rocks involved in a rock band, Kira.> Starshine explained. <Rock is the kind of music, not the objects in the band.>

<Oh...> Kira sighed as Brenna sleepily climbed up to Kimi's bookcase and brought down the "R" volume of Kimi's encyclopedias.

<Radioactivity, realism, Romantic period...> Brenna muttered as she thumbed through the pages. <Here we go...rock music.> She propped the encyclopedia where Kira could see the picture of a guitar player in the middle of a solo on the left page. <It says here that rock music is a form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, backed by guitars, drums, and bass...>

Kira tuned out Brenna long enough to admire the boy in the picture. <I love the tiny ponytail in his yellow hair...> she thought.

<In addition to guitars, drums, and a bass, there's also a piano and some kind of wind instrument.> Starshine explained. <In Kimi's band, it's either a saxophone or harmonica.>

<What are those?> Now Kira was curious.

<Patience, Kira...you'll see them when Kimi's friends get here.> Lita assured her. <In fact, I know a way into the practice area.> She motioned for the others to follow her down the stairs into the basement.

In the basement...

<Looks like Kimi's been busy!> Starshine smiled as she admired the setup inside. Both of Kimi's guitars stood nearby a microphone, with a digital piano off to the right. A drum set was off to the left, allowing the sound and effects operator to overlook the band from the left corner of the room.

Kira, meanwhile, was interested in the microphone. <I wonder what that does...> She tiptoed up to a stool when Lita, Brenna, and Starshine weren't looking, hopped up onto a stool, and steadied herself before the mic, making some feedback echo inside the room. Undaunted by the screech, she spoke. <Hello?> The ability to speak louder fascinated her, so she began singing, <Have you heard the latest word? They're playin' it every place!>, albeit horribly flat and off key.

Brenna sweatdropped over Kira's awful singing. <Now we know Kira's no Kochou...>

<Really...> Lita covered her ears in defense.

<Rock n' roll forever, rock n' roll forever, rock n' roll's here to stay, yeah! Rock n' roll forever, rock n'roll forever, no matter what they say!> Kira continued, cracking as she tried to hit the high note on "say". Lita, Starshine, and Brenna all winced from the squeak, but some applause suddenly got Kira's attention--Kimi stood in the doorway, applauding her. <Thank you!> she replied, taking a bow for her sort of audience.

<Is Kimi gonna say that was terrible?> Starshine was piqued.

<If she were clapping, would she say that was terrible?> Brenna asked.

<I'll say it was.> Lita was still wincing from the horrible performance.

"That was pretty good, Kira!" Kimi smiled as she took Kira in her arms. "I didn't know you could sing!"

<You don't think it's bad?> Kira smiled.

"It needed work, yes; but all that matters is that you put your heart into it. That made it beautiful to me." Kimi replied before setting Kira on a chair. "In fact, if you four will behave yourselves, I'll let you listen to our rehearsal. Kira's eyes turned to stars--her master really was an idol!

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 5: Kira Meets the Band

Kira dozed in one corner of the basement, every so often eyeing the instruments. <I wish they would just play themselves, so Kimi would just have to sing...> she thought. While anything coming to life only worked in stories or on TV, she was already bored with waiting. She wanted to hear a song, and soon.

Just then, the doorbell rang upstairs, snapping her to attention. <Who's here?> she called up to Brenna, who manned the top of the stairs.

<I see some of Kimi's friends milling around...> Brenna reported. This thrilled Kira--finally she was going to hear a song! After hearing some thuds of footsteps coming downstairs, Kira smiled as Kimi approached. She smiled, but the boy who followed Kimi caught her attention: who was he? Whoever he was, Kira was piqued by his honey blonde hair and wiry frame, not to mention the two odd sticks he carried.

"Who's the Pichu, Kimi?" the boy asked as he settled before the drums.

<So that's what the sticks were for--banging the drums!> Kira thought as Lita and Starshine joined her in the room. She turned to Starshine <How can the drummer keep track of that many drums when he only has two hands?>

<You can't see them from here, but he controls some of the drums with his feet.> Lita explained. <It takes practice to learn to keep track of them all, but if the drummer practices enough, he'll wow the audience.>

Kira suddenly felt herself being picked up as Kimi explained "This is Kira, Dameon--I adopted her from the breeding center last week." Kira squeaked a hello to the boy, who waved back. After being set back on the floor, she skimpered back to the corner, where Starshine had prepared a towel for her to lie on. It wasn't much, but it beat the cold floor by far.

"Aww...how cute!" Kira glanced up to see a black haired girl glancing at her. She wasn't in the mood to be picked up again, and certainly not by a stranger. The girl reached out a hand, but Kira backed away, afraid.

Lita sparked sternly. <She doesn't want to be picked up, okay, Clara?> The girl obediently withdrew her hand.

Kimi just smiled. "I see you've met Kira, Clara...she hasn't been around too many people yet, so be gentle." With that, she focused on tuning both her guitars.

"Okay." Clara replied before blowing a kiss at Kira. "She does have your Pikachu to protect her, at least." she noted as she strolled over to the piano and got comfortable.

"Actually, Brenna and Starshine have been pitching in too." Kimi replied, motioning to the four Pokemon to come closer.

Once they had gotten comfortable, Kira began. <Thanks for protecting me--being picked up by a stranger is scary!>

Lita smiled. <The thing about Clara is, she'll pick up and cuddle anything that's remotely cute when she meets it for the first time.> Kira nodded.

Just then, a red haired boy arrived in the room. "Aww, who's this little guy?" he cooed. Kira was a little miffed at being called a boy, but at least this human wasn't threatening.

"That's Kira, Michael." Kimi replied. "Say hi, Kira!"

<Pleased to meet you!> Kira smiled. Michael just chuckled as he retreated to where the bass guitar was waiting and started to tune.

"Let's see...we're missing someone..." Kimi started, but some frantic footsteps from above got her attention. "And there she is now."

<Huh?> Kira was confused.

<Lori, the girl that plays the wind instruments, has the longest walk to get here.> Lita explained. <While she usually makes it on time, I'm curious about why she's late.> Kira just watched as a girl with deep blue hair came rushing down the stairs, to the applause of everyone else.

"Sorry for being late." Lori wheezed as she took her place at her mic. "My little brother made some juice explode in the microwave, and it took an hour to clean up." Everyone laughed at this. "Thankfully, the microwave was fine, but Mom grounded him from his Wii for the rest of the day." More giggles wafted through the room as Lori took her place with a saxophone. Clara gave her a Bb from the piano to commence the group warm up.

<Can juice really explode?> Kira was piqued by this.

<Yes, but only when it's heated hot enough.> Starshine explained over the mass of strings, cymbal dings, keys, and the odd saxophone blat.

<WHAT???> Kira barely heard Starshine over the noise.

<YES, BUT ONLY WHEN IT'S HOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!> Starshine screeched back.

<I DON'T RECOMMEND YOU TRY IT!!!!!!> Brenna cautioned.

After a few minutes, the noise died down, and Kimi snapped a few times to count everyone off, making a pulsing pop beat go pounding into the room. After an introduction by the guitars and the piano, Kimi sang:

There's a boy, I've been waiting to see,
And I really get the feeling, that he likes me!
Cause he said so, but not in so many words
I've got to tell you what I've heard...

<Kimi loves someone?> Kira was piqued.

<No, that's only part of the song.> Lita replied. <A song is essentially a poem set to music, and just like a story, a poem can have characters too.>

<Oh, so she's singing as a character?> Kira asked, fascinated by the instruments and Kimi swaying to the beat.

<Something like that.> Lita replied.

<Dance with me!> Brenna swept Kira into her arms and whirled her across the floor. The sudden movement dizzied Kira at first, but before long, began to follow along with Brenna's steps. <This is fun! I wish they could play tomorrow...> she thought.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 6: Kira's Rescue

"There you go now..." Kimi smiled as she lay Kira in the grass. "Have fun, and be careful!"

<Okay!> Kira smiled as Kimi disappeared inside the house. She turned to face her housemates. <Besides, what could be wrong about being outside?>

<Well, to start, not all the neighbors' Pokemon are as nice as we are...> Starshine began.

<Take the Growlithe next door...> Brenna explained. <Try as his master might, he always finds a way to get loose and terrorize the neighborhood. Offenses include battles on the sidewalk, plants being dug up, Meowths being chased up trees...>

<Using others' yards as his bathroom...> Lita added. Kira made a face at this.

<So if you see him loose, come right back here and tell us or Kimi.> Brenna cautioned. <Or if he's in a fighting mood, call for help.>

<Call for help if I see loose Growlithe, got it!> Kira replied before changing the subject. <Can we play hide and seek?>

<Sure!> and Lita hurried to a tree. <One...two...three...> Brenna squeezed under a rock and Starshine burrowed into some thick underbrush, leaving Kira to find a hiding place on her own. She thought about hiding in one of the trash cans propped against the house, but the lurid smell from inside them changed her mind. Hiding in the log by the tree Lita was counting at made an easy target to be found.

She finally decided to hide inside a cardboard box that lay by the swingset, seconds before she heard Lita call <Ready or not, here I come!> Minutes ticked by, until Kira heard scratching against the cardboard. Before she could react, she felt her hiding place go tumbling into the grass, sending her falling before the paws of the Growlithe! When she realized just what it was standing before her, she darted back into the box and pulled it back over her.

<That Growlithe won't find me now!> Kira thought. She waited for a few minutes, then peeked out to see if the Growlithe had gone. After assuring herself the coast was clear, she tiptoed from the box--and onto the Growlithe's paws! Her heart raced as she scrambled away from the yipping Pokemon and pondered how to escape. <If I don't escape now, I'll be Growlithe food!>

Suddenly, Brenna's advice came rushing back to her: If you see him loose, come right back here and tell us or Kimi. Or if he's in a fighting mood, call for help. With that, she screeched with all her might as the Growlithe approached her: <LITA! BRENNA! STARSHINE!!! HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!>

The Growlithe jumped at Kira, but before Kira could be skewered by its razor sharp teeth, a water blast landed on her assailant, soaking its fur. Kira smiled when she saw Brenna approach the Growlithe, silently daring the striped canine to harm the Pichu it had cornered. Lita and Starshine joined Brenna a few moments later atop the box. <Harm that Pichu and you're not just getting soaked.> Brenna warned. Lita began to spark and Starshine formed a fireball in her beak, waiting for the Growlithe to react to Brenna's warning.

Finally, a male voice from next door called "Hinu, come here now!" At this, the Growlithe abandoned begrudgingly walked back to its house. Kira next heard the male voice scolding the Growlithe. "You know better than to frighten the neighbor's Pokemon!"

<Bad Growlithe!> Kira taunted in the direction of the house before facing Brenna. <Thank you! You saved me!>

<Aw, it was nothing!> Brenna smiled. <It's our job to protect you!>

Kira just flung herself in Brenna's arms <No matter, you're still my hero!>

"What's all this?" Kimi asked as she returned to the yard with Pokechow and a sandwich for herself.

<The neighbor's Growlithe got loose again.> Lita explained. <He almost got Kira!>

<But Brenna scared him away!> Kira intejected. <She saved my life!>

Kimi just laughed. "I guess that battle training's really helping you, eh, Brenna?" Brenna just sweatdropped as everyone laughed.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 7: Kira and the Pokemon Master (part 1)

Kira woke up to odd thumping noises downstairs the next morning--usually Kimi wasn't up this early. <Why is Kimi up now?> she called to her snoozing playmates, just in case one of them was awake.

<Today's a special day, Kimi.> Starshine yawned as she sat up in her bed.

<A special day?> Kira was interested.

Starshine climbed out of bed and brought down the desk calendar, where she pointed out the words under the day's date: Pokemon Master Day. <Today's the day we celebrate when our Pokemon Master, Ash Ketchum, began his rule over all trainers.> she explained, pointing out the text at the bottom.

<What does a Pokemon Master do?> Kira interrupted. <I hear Kimi talking about Ash all the time, but never about what he does.>

<Well...> Starshine thought for a minute, then continued. <The Pokemon Master maintains the Pokemon League and its daily operations, protects the regions, and makes sure all Pokemon have a safe place to live, work, and play.>

<If a girl is ruling, then she is called a Pokemon Mistress.> Lita interjected.

<Supoosedly, Master Ash has magical powers, which he received from helping a Lucario on his travels.> Starshine added. Kira's eyes widened--humans could use Pokemon powers too? She listened, fascinated, as Starshine continued. <The only time he will show his powers to the public, barring defending the League, is this special day.>

<If he's on TV, what he has to say is very important.> Brenna noted. <The humans at the League consider his opinion the final word, so if they can't decide on something, they ask him. And whatever he decides, goes.>

"You guys excited about this year's festivities?" Kimi smiled as she brought the Pokemon their breakfast.

Kira nibbled a few bites before proclaiming. <I want to see Ash cast a spell!>

Kimi just laughed. "The festivities will begin at noon, so be patient." Kira glanced at the clock on the wall and sighed--noon was five hours away, which felt like forever to her.

Brenna noticed Kira's disdain. <You're wanting to go to the big celebration in town, aren't ya?> Kira nodded. <If I knew how to summon Celebi and get him to make noon come faster, I would. Unfortunately, we've got to wait.>

<Then why don't we tell Kira about what else she might see at the festival?> Lita suggested. <By the time we get done winding her up, noon will be here!>

<Huh?> Kira snapped to attention at the mention of noon.

<Noon's not here yet, but we are going to tell you more of what to expect when it gets here.> Brenna smiled. <First, Ash will arrive in a big parade! There's pretty dancers...> she started.

<Marching bands...> Starshine added.

<Isn't it hard to play an instrument and walk at the same time?> Kira interruppted.

<Not if the instrument's small enough.> Lita replied. <Anyway, once Ash arrives on the square, he'll welcome everyone and talk about what he wants to do in the coming year. Then he might honor someone...>

<If not, he'll go on to my favorite part of the show besides the magic display.> Brenna concluded. <That's when he'll show off an instrument from his collection of instruments.>

<Remember last year?> Lita smiled at Brenna.

Brenna was confused. <What instrument did he show last year, again?>

<That one that looked like a cross between a clarinet and a surge protector?> Lita described the odd instrument in hopes Brenna would remember. Kira mentally pictured such an instrument--and Ash trying to play it. She giggled at what she thought would happen: Ash getting shocked.

<Oh, that one!> Brenna smiled. <That was the year he showed off an EWI!>

<I don't want to know what kind of music it was if he played an Eevee...> Kira shuddered.

Starshine burst out laughing for a moment. <Not an Eevee, Kira; an EWI...with a W, not a V!>

<Here's a picture Kimi took last year...> Brenna reached for a pile of pictures that lay on the desk, ruffled through them a moment, then selected one showing Ash playing the odd instrument on a stage. <That's what this black thing is.>

<Hmm...> Kira was piqued by the picture.

<You know the digital piano in the practice room?> Brenna explained.

<From a few days ago? Yes!> Kira smiled.

<An EWI works the same way, only you blow into it instead of pressing keys.> Brenna concluded before putting the pictures away.

<I hear he got a saxophone some time ago, and he wants to show that off this year.> Starshine interjected.

<I wonder where he gets them all?> Kira was curious.

<He either gets them himself, or guests to the League bring them as presents.> Lita replied. <He prefers Pokeflutes or flute-like instruments, but will accept almost anything that makes music.>

<Even tubas?> Kira piped up.

Brenna pictured Ash with a tuba and burst out laughing. She recovered enough to giggle <Yes, most likely even tubas.> before howling with laughter. The laughter continued for several minutes, until a voice interuppted "It's time to go!"

Kira raced down the stairs as fast as her tiny Pichu feet could carry her--now she was going to see if all those things her playmates had said about Ash were true!

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 8: Kira and the Pokemon Master (part 2)

It was already noon by the time Kimi and the Pokemon joined the crowd on the town square, eager to get a glimpse of the parade when it passed by. Kira, meanwhile, just sat quietly on her master's shoulders and observed the mass of people milling about. <So many people here...I didn't know they could come in so many different kinds!> she thought before glancing to a grassy hill. Officer Jenny stood nearby, keeping watch over the crowd. Kira, meanwhile, asked <What does that girl wearing blue do?>

<That's Officer Jenny...her job is to help protect the town from bad humans.> Starshine explained. <Seeing as Master Ash is an important human, he warrants some special protection.>

<Like the guards in the story Kimi told last night?> Kira asked.

<Something like that...> Starshine was suddenly cut off by a low hum in the distance. <It's time!> Just then the hum intensified into the familiar, but noisy, notes of bagpipes, causing cheers from some in the crowd. The noise was deafening to Kira's tiny ears, so she shielded them as the piper brigade passed by, paving the way for a troupe of dancers. Once sure the pipes had disappeared down the path, Kira unshielded her ears and paid attention to the rainbow colored dancers as they weaved and swirled down the street to the pulsing beat seemingly coming from nowhere.

<Did the pipes scare you?> Lita asked.

<Yeah...why does Ash have to have such a loud instrument to announce himself?> Kira complained as more dancers whirled by.

<Maybe because that way, he'll be sure to get everyone's attention?> Brenna replied as she scrambled for the candy that some dancers were tossing into the crowd.

<He certainly got my attention!> Kira giggled.

"Look!" Kimi called, pointing out a Rapidash coming into view, flanked by three mounted guards on either side. Kira strained her eyes to look at the beautiful Rapidash's rider, but only saw the familiar L shaped character that adorned his trademark cap from the mass of people around her. Some trainers offered their Pokemon to the black haired rider, in hopes that the boy would pet them. Not surprisingly, the boy would slow down and give every Pokemon within his reach a friendly stroke on the head.

Once the entourage began getting closer to the small hill, Kira could see a little of the boy's clothing: sparkling black pants, a navy blue armor-like vest with a white stripe over it, and a shirt-like chain mail under that. The cap with the familiar L symbol crowned his messy black hair. To top it off, a sheathed sword was at his side, conjuring images of a fairy tale hero in Kira's eyes. She turned to Kimi. <Can I get petted by Ash?>

"Sure..." Kimi offered he hand to Kira, who climbed aboard. Once Ash was in her range, she held Kira up to Ash's line of vision. Ash said nothing, but gave Kira a smile and a pat on the head before riding on.

<I wanted to be petted...> Starshine grumbled.

<You were petted LAST year, remember?> Lita retorted.

"...and Brenna got petted the year before that." Kimi explained. "Since you've each been petted by Ash before, I decided to let Kira be petted this year." The other three Pokemon nodded reluctantly--they didn't want to ruin the day's festive mood over a petty argument.

After the parade...

Kira listened intently as Ash, now clad in a unarmored version of his clothing from the parade, paced a stage and concluded his speech. "...As I stand here and look upon this crowd, I see many trainers, coordinators, breeders, and others from all walks of life. No matter our vocation or age, we can all do our part to keep alive the mission of the Pokemon League: honoring those great trainers that came before, and looking ahead to the heroes and heroines of tomorrow. I declare this day of the Pokemon Master 'Looking Foward, and Looking Back.'" Some applause went up from the crowd at this.

<I didn't really understand any of that...> Kira sighed. She was eager to see what spell Ash would cast, what song he would play, or what instrument he would play the song with.

"What Ash means is that we should respect those people that came before us, and at the same time support those that will come after us." Kimi explained. "For example, I respect my parents because they've been my age before, and can give me advice when I need help."

<Ah...> Kira replied.

Suddenly, Brenna noticed Ash closing his eyes. <Kira, look, quickly! Ash is casting a spell!>

<He does that to focus his power.> Lita added

Kira watched in awe as Ash lifted his hands to the sky, where the crowd noticed they were going in an odd blue light. After a few tense seconds. Ash cried "Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Ice!", sending waves of blue energy and icicles into the sky, where snow came raining down on the crowd below. She shook some snow off her head and applauded as Ash took a bow for the crowd.

<That was cool, no pun intended.> Starshine smiled as she shook off a melting icicle from her down.

<Agreed!> Lita smiled as she brushed snow from her fur.

"Now look again." Kimi smiled as Ash eased a saxophone around him. Kira's smile widened into a starry eyed grin as Ash lauched into a jazzy tune--all the things her playmates had said were true, and then some. As she held on to Kimi while she danced, Kira was already thinking about what the next year's Pokemon Master Day would bring...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 9: Kira and the Beautifly

Kira nibbled on her breakfast, content. She was still dreaming about the events of Pokemon Master Day, and what next year's Day would bring. <Maybe he'll use a Thundershock next year, just like Lita does....>

Just then, the door slammed; snapping Kira from her daydream. She skittered to the table's edge, where she could see Kimi carrying in a large bush bedecked in an array of deep purple spiked flowers. After setting the bush down, Kimi disappeared into her room for a moment.

Starshine joined Kira on the table. <Wondering what that bush is?>

<Yeah...I didn't know flowers could spike that way.> Kira replied, piqued by the blooms' odd shape.

<It's a Beautifly bush.> Starshine explained. <So named because Beautiflies love the flower's shape and color.>

<How do they get to the flowers to eat?> Kira asked, noting the individual flowers' small size.

<Their mouths look like a straw, so they don't have to take up that much room to eat the sweet stuff in the flower.> Brenna explained as she joined Kira and Starshine. Once comfortable, she noticed Kimi's Pokedex lying nearby. <Let me show you a picture of a Beautifly.> With that, she flipped the Pokedex open and pressed a few buttons, making a picture of a Beautifly blip on the tiny screen.

Beautifly, the butterfly Pokemon. the Pokedex began. Their favorite food is the sweet pollen of flowers. If you want to see this Pokemon, just leave a potted flower by an open window. A Beautifly is sure to come looking for pollen.

<Amazing!> Kira was impressed. She darted off the table, confident she would be able to find the Berry plant she and Kimi had planted two days before.

<Hey, Kira? Where'd you go?> Starshine called.

<I'm looking for the paper cup we planted that Leppa Berry in two days ago!> Kira called from the back room. She returned a few minutes later, clutching a paper cup filled with soil. A tiny Leppa plant was nestled in the soil, complete with a few flowers blooming.

<Oh I know what you want to do!> Lita took the cup from Kira and carefully climbed up a chair to the living room window, where she could see Kimi in the garden, planting the Beautifly bush. After setting the cup in the sunshine and watering it, she rejoined Kira and the others on the floor. <Now all we have to do is wait a bit...>

An hour or so later...

Kira slumped against an armchair, bored. The Pokedex had said that a Beautifly would come if you left a potted flower in an open window, but no Beautifly had come in an hour. <What's taking them so long?> she sighed.

<Kira, I know you want to see a Beautifly, but we have to wait and see if they'll come.> Brenna assured the Pichu staring glumly out the window, watching her master dig in the garden.

Just as Kira was about to give up and leave the room, an odd flitting noise caught her attention. She dashed back to the chair and climbed on it, where she saw a Beautifly land on her blooming Leppa plant. Her bored face turned to fascination as she admired the beautiful patterns of red, blue, yellow, green and black on the Beautifly's wings. Once the Beautifly had finished its meal, it flitted over to another flower to bask in the sunshine--or so Kira thought. She had imagined Beautiflies constantly on the move, so why was this one standing still?

After a few tense minutes, the Beautifly got up and hovered over to another flower, leaving behind three clear orbs on a leaf. A second Beautifly landed by the orbs a few seconds later, its wings brighter colored than the first Beautifly.

<What are those orb things on the leaf?> Kira was curious.

<Those are their eggs...that means these Beautiflies are raising babies here.> Brenna explained. <In a few days, Wurmples will hatch from them. One Beautifly will stay behind to protect them while the other looks for food.>

<If the Wurmples are cared for properly, they'll evolve into Silcoons, from which new Beautiflies will emerge.> Starshine added.

"Couldn't wait to see a Beautifly?" Kimi smiled as she set aside her garden tools.

<Yeah...they really do make colors in the sky!> Kira smiled, making everyone, including the two Beautiflies, laugh.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 10: Kira's Story

Kira woke the next morning to an odd clacking noise coming from the desk. Upon sitting up in her basket, she could see Kimi--or at least, her fingers--furiously typing away at a PC's keyboard. The letters on the screen piqued her. I wonder what those characters say? she wondered. Being a Pichu, human language was alien to her.

She nudged Brenna awake. <Brenna..>

<Hm?> Brenna groggily asked as she eased from her shell.

<Can you teach me how to read human language?>

Brenna was confused by Kira's request. <Why would you want to learn to read human language?>

<Maybe so she can read the story Kimi's writing?> Lita asked from the desk, bemused by the ever appearing stream of letters on the screen.

<What's a story?> Kira was interested...

<Well...it would take a long explanation for me to tell you, but I'll try anyway.> Lita began. <It's basically a sequence of events, whether they're real or not.>

<They typically start by introducing the audience to the characters involved and the big problem in the story.> Brenna added. <This big problem might be anything from a Dragonite terrorizing a town to the hero wanting to get stronger for some reason.>

<What's going on?> Starshine interrupted as she too woke up.

<Kira wanted to know what a story was, so we're telling her.> Brenna assured Starshine before continuing. <There's also a character that doesn't want the hero to solve the big problem--or is the cause of the big problem.

<The bad guy?> Kira asked.

<Something like that, but not all of these kinds of characters want to kidnap princesses, use magic items for the wrong reason, or take over the world.> Brenna replied. <Sometimes the bad guy, for lack of a better way to say it, is misunderstood or is causing the problem for a silly reason.>

<So a story is essentially about the hero overcoming the bad guy--or something else--to solve a big problem.> Lita concluded as she watched Kimi edit the chapter she just wrote.

Kira, however, dashed to the stack of printer paper and grabbed as many sheets she could carry in her tiny paws. <I'm going to write a story!>

<I can help you write it!> Starshine volunteered. <I can write human language, so you tell me what to write, and I'll write it down on the paper.> she explained, grabbing a pencil from the desk drawer.

<Let's see...> Kira mused for a moment, then began dictating to Starshine <Once upon a time...and they lived happily ever after! The end!>

<But what happens in between 'Once upon a time' and 'They all lived happily ever after'?> Brenna asked.

Starshine sweatdropped. <Let's start over...> She wadded up the piece of paper and threw it in the trash, then grabbed another sheet. <Okay...be sure to include something else this time...>

<Umm...> Kira thought some more, then began <Once upon a time...there was a beautiful kingdom...the people were happy so long as the king had seven magical gems in his possession.>

<That's a good start, what else?> Starshine asked.>

<Once a year, on the day of the Rainbow Festival, the seven gems would shine down on the kingdom from their place in the royal vault, granting the people blessings for the next year.> Kira continued dictating. <However, the royal wizard longed to use the gem's powers to rule the kingdom himself. So late one night, he snuck inside the royal vault and stole the gems, hiding them in seven well guarded locations throughout the kingdom...>

<the...kingdom.> Starshine finished writing down the sentence. <You're doing great, but talk a little slower so I can write everything down.>

<Okay!> Kira smiled before continuing. <The next morning, the king was horrified to find the gems gone! He looked all over the castle, but didn't find them. To make matters worse, the Rainbow Festival was coming, and the gems being gone on that day would mean a terrible year was ahead for the kingdom...>

<Keep going, this is getting good!> Lita smiled.

Kimi just smiled. "You're a natural storyteller, you know that, Kira?"

<Thanks!> Kira replied before continuing over the whir of the printer <The king decreed that whoever could find the seven gems and bring them safely back to the castle would be greatly rewarded during the Rainbow Festival. At this, heroes began coming from all around to try and find the gems, but none returned. One day, a wandering adventurer came to the kingdom and asked if he could try to find the gems...>

Several hours later...

<...The people cheered when they saw the adventurer returning with the seven gems, just in time for the Rainbow Festival. As thanks, the king granted the adventurer a piece of land and made him a citizen of the kingdom. And so he lived there, helping the people as often as he could for a very long time...the end.> Kira concluded. prompting applause from Kimi. Brenna and Lita had fallen asleep listening on top of the huge stack of paper Starshine had written on.

<That was a long story...> Lita groaned as she hopped off the tower of paper.

<You lost me around Chapter 37...> Brenna agreed.

Kimi smiled. "Maybe I should let you write the next chapter of my story..."

<Knowing Kira, you'd need twenty posts just to fit the chapter in.> Lita joked. Everyone laughed as Kira blushed.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 11: Kira and the School Play (part 1)

The door slammed, waking Kira up from a nap. <Why did Kimi have to close the door so loud...> she grumbled. Kimi's frantic footsteps upstairs caught her attention soon after. <Judging from Kimi's rush to get in here, something big must've happened...>

<Remember when we told you yesterday that Kimi was trying out for the school play?> Lita asked.

<Yeah...> Kira replied.

<She must've gotten the part she wanted...> Brenna noted as Kimi dashed into the room, triumphantly holding a script in one hand.

<What's a play?> Kira was interested as Kimi sat down on her bed to read over the script.

<A play is essentially a big game of dressup--only people come to watch it.> Starshine explained.

<Really?> Kira was impressed and excited by this.

"And I want you to play a part in the play too, Kira..." Kimi began as she fished another script from her bag. "All you have to do is say and do what the script says." With that, she gave the second script to Kira.

<How come I don't get to act?> Lita was concerned.

"The director said he explicitly wanted a baby Pokemon to play this part, so Kira fits that requirement." Kimi explained before addressing Kira again. "Your part does look like a lot, but Lita has acted with me in plays before, so she'll help you, okay?"

<Okay!> Kira replied before looking at the script's title: "Five Legendary Tales." <What's the story about?>

"It's not one story, but five stories involving Legendary Pokemon all put together as one performance." Kimi explained. "Your job is the storyteller--while you tell the story, us humans are going to act out what you say without speaking."

<How are you supposed to be playing pretend without saying anything?> Kira was curious.

"Sometimes the best messages are the ones where you don't say anything." Kimi explained before getting up to leave. "I'll leave you and Lita to practice, okay?"

Kira, however, was interested in Lita's experiences as a Pokemon actor. <What's it like being in a play?>

<It's a lot of work, but it's the fun kind of work.> Lita explained. <First, the director holds a tryout session, where he--or she--decides who will play what part. Usually they'll just make you read parts of two or three scenes, but if it's a musical play, they'll also make you sing and sometimes dance.>

<Has Kimi played her guitar doing this?> Kira interuppted.

<Yes...the general rule of singing is to have a CD of the music or play it yourself.> Lita replied before continuing <Once the tryouts are over, the director takes a while to decide on who would fit the best for each part. Then a list of parts is posted, along with who will be what part.>

<And Kimi got the part she wanted?> Kira asked.

<Probably.> Lita replied. <At the first rehearsal, everyone usually reads over the script--but since you're the only one talking, they're most likely skipping that. Then, after several weeks of rehearsals, you do a rehearsal in costume--the dress rehearsal.>

<Do I get a costume?> Kira was excited.

Lita sighed as she picked up the script. <Yes, you'll get a costume...now lets work on your part. I'll read a line of the script, then you say it back to me as best as you can.> After locating a line Kimi had highlighted, she read <Welcome, my friends!>

<Welcome, my friends!> Kira smiled back.

<Perhaps you know of the Legendary Pokemon? Pokemon like Arceus, Raikou, Lugia, or Shaymin?> Lita read.

<Perhaps you know of the Legendary Pokemon? Pokemon like...uh...> Kira struggled to think of the Pokemon Lita had listed.

<Arceus...> Brenna prompted.

<Pokemon like Arceus, Raikou, Lugia, or Shaymin?> Kira hesitantly replied.

<That's right...> Lita assured Kira before reading the next line. <They all have been the subject of many stories--stories I wish to tell you.>

<They all have been the subject of many stories--stories I wish to tell you.> Kira repeated.

<The first such story I will tell you is named "Mew's Mystic Paintbrush"> Lita read.

<The first such story I will tell you is...uh...> Kira stammered.

<Mew...> Starshine prompted. Brenna helped by pantomiming painting with a paintbrush.

<I can get this...> Kira assured Starshine and Brenna. <The first such story I will tell you is...Mew's...uh...> She panicked. <I forgot what I'm supposed to say!> All three Pokemon sweatdropped.

Several hours later...

"Okay, Kira...say your introduction for me." Kimi began. "Pretend I'm the audience."

<Okay...> and Kira cleared her throat. <Welcome, my friends! Perhaps you know of the Legendary Pokemon? Pokemon like Arceus, Raikou, Lugia, or Shaymin? They have all been the subject of many stories, stories I wish to tell you.>

<Come on, Kira!> Starshine whispered.

<You're doing great!> Lita agreed. Deep down, she silently worried that Kira would forget the last line of the introduction in front of Kimi.

<The first such story I will tell you is named "Mew's Mystic Paintbrush."> Kira declared, prompting applause from everyone.

"Very good! You must've been working hard!" Kimi cried as she gave Kira a hug. "Now, would you be willing to practice narrating my part in the play?"

<Sure!> Kira waited as Lita retrieved Kira's script, then went to tend to a Mew puppet Starshine had brought in.

<I'll help you this time.> Brenna assured Kira. She waited until Kimi motioned she was ready, then read to Kira <Once there was a girl named Sachi. Although she lived in a poor village, she was still a very happy person.>

<Remember, wait until the actors stop moving before you go on.> Lita called from her position atop some boxes.

<Okay...Once there was a girl named Sachi.> Kira began. Kimi waved hello at the imaginary audience. <Although she lived in a poor village, she was still a very happy person.> This prompted Kimi to dance around the room a little.

<Sachi's greatest gift was painting...she would spend hours by the riverbanks, drawing Pokemon in the dirt with her fingers.> Brenna prompted.

<Sachi's greatest gft was painting...she would spend hours by the riverbanks, drawing Pokemon in the dirt with her fingers.> Kira repeated as Kimi got on her kness and pretended to draw an outline of a Charmander in the carpet. So long as she had someone to help her, acting sounded like fun.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 12: Kira and the School Play (part 2)

"Here we are, Kira--this is where you'll be telling stories." Kimi smiled as she stepped out onto the stage of the school auditorium a few days later. There were a number of students milling around talking or practicing movements. Another group was busy painting a set, and still another was checking the lights and a few screens.

<Wow...so many humans here!> Kira was impressed.

"This is a "cast-of-thousands" production--a show where you need a lot of actors." Kimi explained. "But let me introduce you to the person you need to listen to the most." With that, she stepped through the mass of people, equipment, costumes, and pieces of sets until she found a black haired woman overseeing the setup of a screen. "I brought her, Miss Leila...this is my Pichu, Kira."

<Hello!> Kira replied, offering a paw to Leila.

"Pleased to meet you, Kira." Miss Leila replied, offering her pinky finger in a semi-handshake. "Have you been working on memorizing your lines?"

<Yes ma'am!> Kira replied.

"I also brought my Pikachu along to prompt Kira during rehearsals." Kimi added as se motioned for Lita to join her.

"She's welcome to prompt during the performance, too." Miss Leila assured Kimi before leaving to inspect a set. "For now, get Kira settled in and we'll get started shortly."

<What are the screens for?> Kira asked.

<They're going to translate what you say into human language, I think.> Lita replied as she handed Kira her script. <Now, remember what we practiced last night. And don't be afraid to ask me for help if you forget a line.> With that, she disappeared into the wings.

An hour or so later...

"Places everyone!" Miss Leila called, turning the stage into a whirlwind of chaos as everyone rushed to their positions. Once the initial rush had died down, Lita escorted Kira over towards the wings at stage right.

<This is my place?> Kira was unsure.

<Yes, this is where you'll go when Miss Leila says 'Places, everyone'.> Lita assured her. <I'll be back here to prompt you.> With that, she disappeared into the wings.

"Let's start by running through the first story." Miss Leila told the cast before motioning for Kira to begin.

Kira was confused. <Where are we starting?>

"After you say your introduction...the first story." Miss Leila replied.

<Okay...> Kira looked over the script to find the spot Miss Leila had mentioned, then began. <Once there was a girl named Sachi.> Kimi appeared in a spotlight and waved hello to the imaginary audience. <Although she lived in a poor village, she was still a very happy person.> At this, Kimi danced around the stage for a moment before bending down before a set of a river. <Sachi's greatest gift was painting...she would spend hours by the riverback, sketching Pokemon in the dirt with her fingers.> Kimi pretended to trace outlines of a Charmander, a Pichu, and a Treecko on the stage floor before the lights went down, coming up again on a set of a house.

<You're doing great so far!> Lita whispered in encouragement from the wings.

"Okay...where's my Mew actress?" Miss Leila called.

"Coming!" called an auburn haired girl as she took her place on a prop bed.

"When Kira mentions Mew's appearing, all you have to do is take off the first layer of your costume to reveal the Mew outfit." Miss Leila instructed. "But, we don't have costumes or effects yet, so just pretend for now."

<Aww...> Kira sighed...she was looking foward to wearing a costume so badly.

<We're fixing to start again...> Lita cautioned as Miss Leila guided some other actors to their positions. <We're at the part where Sachi meets Mew.>

<Uh...here it is!> Kira waited for her cue to begin, then continued reading her script. <One night, as Sachi returned home, she noticed a mysterious girl asleep on her bed.> Kimi pretended to look shocked at the girl. <Sachi was about to ask the girl for help, but suddenly, the girl transformed into the Legendary Pokemon Mew in a flash of light!>

"Poof!" the auburn haired girl joked, a little annoyed there were no effects yet. Some of the cast laughed, including Kira, but Kimi just pretended to shield her eyes as if the effects had really occured.

"All right, settle down." Miss Leila sighed, quieting the laughter. "Keep going, Kira."

Kira giggled a moment before finding her place and continuing. <"Please don't be afraid", Mew assured Sachi.> The girl put an assuring hand on Kimi, who was pretending to be scared. <"The Great Lord Arceus has heard of your skill with painting, and wishes to give you a special gift".> The girl made a sweeping gesture to illustrate Kira's point. <Mew formed a paintbrush and gave it to Sachi. "Take this magical paintbrush. Use it to make people happy."> At this, the girl pretended to give a paintbrush to Kimi, who accepted the prop brush.

"Looking very good so far." Miss Leila smiled, motioning for Kira to continue as the set changed to the interior of a house and a small outdoor scene.

<Uh, what page are we on?> Kira asked.

<The next morning...> Lita prompted from the wings.

<The next morning, Sachi came downstairs to find her mother despairing over not having enough food for breakfast.> Kira continued. A spotlight appeared on a black haired girl pretending to cry over some prop food as Kimi entered the scene. <Sachi took pity on her mother, and proceeded to paint a grand feast for her whole family to enjoy.> Kimi pretended to draw outlines of food in the air, which she, the girl, and a navy haired boy pretended to eat. <After breakfast, Sachi's father showed Sachi a cart with a broken wheel. He was distraught that he had no way to bring their goods to market.> At this, the boy showed Kimi a prop wheelbarrow and pretended to cry. But before Kira could read the next line, the prop wheelbarrow crashed to the stage, startling Kira as it shattered into a zillion pieces. She raced backstage and threw herself in Lita's arms, afraid.

<It's okay, a prop just tipped over...> Lita assured Kira.

<It wasn't the wheelbarrow falling and breaking than the noise it made.> Kira shuddered as she watched Kimi help her classmates clean up the mess. <I just hope that doesn't happen on opening night.>

<It won't, I bet.> Lita replied as she led Kira back onstage, where a few people were sweeping up the last few pieces.

"Can we just use a cardboard wheelbarrow instead?" the navy haired boy sighed, causing everyone, Lita and Kira included, to laugh.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 13: Kira and the School Play (part 3)

Several weeks later...

Brenna slumped to the floor, bored. <It's quiet without Kira, Lita, and Kimi here...>

<Didn't Kimi say that we'll finally see Kira in her costume for the play?> Starshine interjected.

<Oh! I forgot that the play's dress rehearsal was today!> Brenna giggled. <I can't wait to see Kira's official debut tomorrow night!>

Just then, the door slammed, snapping Starshine to attention. <They're home!> She smiled as Kira dashed into the room, Lita and Kimi not far behind.

<How did the dress rehearsal go?> Brenna asked.

<I didn't forget any lines!> Kira smiled.

<I'll still be backstage prompting you tomorrow night, just in case.> Lita assured Kira before dragging a plastic bag close to her. <And here is Kira's costume.> With that, she lefted a tiny royal blue robe from the bag, complete with a light blue sash and glittery yellow thunderbolt trim.

<How cute!> Starshine smiled.

<I bet she looks beautiful in it!> Brenna agreed.

"I asked Lori to take you and Starshine to the opening show tomorrow night, and you're welcome to come to any of the other shows if you wish." Kimi began as she set down the bag containing her costume in the closet. "For now, we're going to rest for a while."

<Was it scary playing pretend with people watching?> Starshine was curious.

<I was a little scared when the lights came up on me and I saw all the people watching...> Kira explained. <But the more I talked, the more fun it got. The best part was when everyone clapped at the end!>

"That's what makes all our hard work worthwhile..." Kimi agreed as she thumbed through a manga.

Kira just glanced at Lita and smiled. <I can't wait for tomorrow night!>

The next night...

Starshine eased herself into a seat and watched the crowds of people and Pokemon stream into the auditorium. <Wow...look at this crowd!> She took a moment to glance around, taking note of the camcorders and cameras some people carried.

Brenna was concerned. <I'm worried over how Kira will react when she sees that she's being recorded...>

<I'm sure Lita's back there telling her not to worry about the cameras or the camcorders...> Starshine assured Brenna.

<Has Kira even been around a camera or a camcorder?> Brenna worried as she watched the seats fill up.

"Guys, when it gets dark, it's time to be quiet." Lori cautioned as the lights flashed the five minute warning.

Backstage...

<All set?> Lita asked as she tied on the sash to Kira's costume.

<Yep!> Kira replied.

<Remember, I'll be back here in case you forget a line.> Lita assured Kira as the two Pokemon made their way to the wings. <Also, you might see odd red lights or an odd flash in the audience...the flashes are cameras, and the red lights are camcorders.>

<I'm being filmed?> Kira was afraid.

<Yes, every performance is being filmed...some people might want to see the show to friends or family, so they tape it for later viewing.> Lita explained. <But don't be afraid of them, okay?>

<Okay...> Kira swallowed hard as she made her way to her place onstage, glancing back to the wings as Lita retreated into the darkness with a script. She took a few deep breaths to rid herself of the Beautiflies in her stomach as the curtain opened and the overture started to play.

<Good luck!> Lita whispered from the wings over the soft music.

Kira suddenly felt warm as a spotlight shone down on her and the music faded out. She waited for Miss Leila's signal, then spoke. <Welcome, my friends! Perhaps you know of the Legendary Pokemon? Pokemon like Arceus, Raikou, Lugia, or Shaymin? They have all been the subject of many stories, stories I wish to tell you. The first such story I will tell you is named "Mew's Mystic Paintbrush"> The audience applauded over the interlude as the lights came up over the set of a village.

<Yeah!> Lita qietly cheered as she thumbed to the first story in the script.

Kira waited for her signal again, then continued. <Once there was a girl named Sachi.> Kimi, now clad in a dull red tunic-like outfit, appeared in a spotlight and waved hello to the imaginary audience. <Although she lived in a poor village, she was still a very happy person.> At this, Kimi danced around the stage for a moment before bending down before a set of a river. <Sachi's greatest gift was painting...she would spend hours by the riverbank, sketching Pokemon in the dirt with her fingers.> Kimi pretended to trace outlines of a Charmander, a Pichu, and a Treecko on the stage floor before the lights went down, coming up again on a set of a house. <One night, as Sachi returned home, she noticed a mysterious girl asleep on her bed.> Kimi pretended to look shocked at the girl. <Sachi was about to ask the girl for help, but suddenly, the girl transformed into the Legendary Pokemon Mew in a flash of light!> At this, there was a flash of light for a moment, revealing the auburn haired girl in the Mew costume, a hooded pink leotard with a pinkish wire in the back for a tail.

Kimi shielded her eyes from the light as Kira continued <"Please don't be afraid", Mew assured Sachi.> The girl put an assuring hand on Kimi, who was pretending to be scared. <"The Great Lord Arceus has heard of your skill with painting, and wishes to give you a special gift".> The girl made a sweeping gesture to illustrate Kira's point. <Mew formed a paintbrush and gave it to Sachi. "Take this magical paintbrush. Use it to make people happy."> At this, the girl pretended to give a paintbrush to Kimi, who accepted the prop brush.

Then, the scene changed to the interior of a house and a small outdoor scene. <The next morning, Sachi came downstairs to find her mother despairing over not having enough food for breakfast.> Kira continued. A spotlight appeared on a black haired girl pretending to cry over some prop food as Kimi entered the scene. <Sachi took pity on her mother, and proceeded to paint a grand feast for her whole family to enjoy.> Kimi pretended to draw outlines of food in the air, which she, the girl, and a navy haired boy pretended to eat. <After breakfast, Sachi's father showed Sachi a cart with a broken wheel. He was distraught that he had no way to bring their goods to market.> At this, the boy showed Kimi a prop wheelbarrow and pretended to cry. <To calm her father's tears, Kimi painted a new wheel, fixing the cart!> Kira smiled as she watched Kimi pretend to draw an outline of a wheel, making a prop wheel appear. <Sachi spent the rest of the day helping her family...all three were very happy.> As Kira said this, Kimi pretended to draw various items, which in turn became real items.

<Kira's doing great!> Brenna smiled from the audience as the set of the entire village appeared, with a seperate set of a shed off by stage right.

<News of Sachi's power spread like wildfire through the village,> Kira continued, prompting some actors to pretend to talk. <Sachi spent most of the next day painting farming tools and other goods for her friends and neighbors.> At this, a line formed before Kimi as she continued to "draw" outlines of items. <But not all were pleased with Sachi and her new powers...> At this, a dramatic sting played as a spotlight appeared on a boy in black. <The greedy rancher Higure was the only one not happy...he was jealous of Sachi's power, and vowed to figure out her secret.> The boy pretended to grumble before the lights dimmed, setting the stage for a night scene as a spotlight appeared on Kimi pretending to sleep. <Late that night, Higure burst into the house, kidnapped Sachi, and locked her away inside an abandoned shed.> Some dramatic music played as Kimi and the boy acted out what Kira had said, complete with Kimi "struggling" and being thrown into the shed set with a sickening thud.

<Ow...> Brenna commented.

<That had to hurt...> Starshine agreed.

Kira waited for the audience to calm down before she continued over some softer music. <The next morning, when Higure came to the shed, he was surprised to see a roaring fire and a ladder leading outside.> The boy looked shocked as the lights came up on the shed set, which showed a prop fire and a prop ladder, but no Kimi. <Furious that Sachi had escaped, he kicked over the fire, which burned the shed to the ground!> Another dramatic stinger played and the audience gasped as the shed set began to burn. <Fortunately, Sachi was watching all the chaos from afar.> The light came up on Kimi watching from stage left behind a prop rock. <Once sure Higure wouldn't follow her, she returned home, where her family was overjoyed to see her.> Some "aww"s went up from the crowd as Kimi hugged her "family."
<I was halfway expecting Kimi to stick out her tongue at the actor playing Higure...> Brenna giggled before focusing back on the stage, which now depicted the interior of a Pokemon League of long ago.

<The news of Sachi began spreading even farther through the world,> Kira continued as more "talking" actors passed by her. <Many were touched by the little girl with the huge heart that helped all in need, be they rich or poor.> A dramatic stinger played as some actors portraying ancient League officials appeared onstage. <When the cruel and greedy Pokemon Master heard of this...> Kira intoned as the boy playing the ancient Pokemon Master appeared onstage. <He ordered a reward of 5,000 gold pieces for her capture.>

Starshine was shocked! <Ash would never do that if he lived at this time! He would reward Sachi for doing so many good deeds!>

"You have to remember that this story takes place during a time when the League wasn't as good and just as it is now..." Lori reminded Starshine. Starshine just slumped in her seat as the set changed to the outside of the League, with a seperate set of a jail off by stage left.

<The league officials captured Sachi on the ruse of treason, and threw her in jail, taking the magic brush from her in the process.> Kira continued as Sachi was again thrown inside the jail set with a thud. As Kimi "struggled", one actor took the prop brush from her and gave it to the actor playing the ancient Master. <Eager to try the magic paintbrush for himself, the Master first tried painting a huge bar of gold; but instead, it became an Arbok!.> Some people laughed when the Arbok appeared. <Then he tried to draw the grand firebird Moltres, but instead, all he produced was a Pidgey!> More laughter and taunts filled the air when the Pidgey appeared.

<That's what you get for not having a pure heart!> Brenna taunted the actor before Lori shot her The Look.

<Frustrated, the Pokemon Master ordered Sachi out of the jail, and explained to her that she could have her freedom on the condition she paint a boat large enough to carry himself, the officials, their families, and all othered that lived at the League.> Kira continued. <Sachi complied with this request, and drew a beautiful ship studded in gold, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds, pearls, and many other countless gems.> The audience gasped in awe as the beautiful ship appeared as a seperate set.

<I betcha a dime that it sinks...> Starshine whispered to Brenna. Brenna just smiled and focused on the stage.

<Then, Sachi was ordered to draw a river.> Kira continued as Kimi got on her knees and "drew" on the watery set at stage left. <But when it came to life, it grew into a tidal wave, nearly destroying the League building and carrying the boat far, far away...> At this, the boat set rumbled and shook as some dramatic music played. Once the boat set disappeared, Kira continued. <Needless to say, that Pokemon Master was never seen again...>

<Duh!> Starshine taunted.

<Sachi then painted a Ponyta and escaped...but what became of her after that?> Kira asked as Kimi pretended to "ride" off into a sunset. <Some say she founded her own village, not far from her home, where she helped the poor.> A scene of Kimi drawing appeared. <Others say that she became the Pokemon Mistress, where she ruled with a kind and just hand.> The audience cheered as Kimi appeared at the steps of the ancient League, now clad in the Pokemon Master costume. <Regardless of what happened, one thing remained true: She always used the magic paintbrush for as long as she lived, thankful for Mew's help.> At this, Kimi draw a squiggle in the air, making the lights go down. Kira then continued. <Another story I know is called "The Trainer That Moved Mountains"....>

<That's one story done...> Starshine smiled as she settled in her seat for the rest of the play.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 14: Kira, a Superheroine! (part 1)

Laughter and cheers drifted up to Kimi's room, jolting Kira awake from a nap. After rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she smiled when she saw her housemates trooping upstairs. <What's all the excitement about?> she asked.

<Oh, we were watching "Wonder Chu" on TV.> Starshine replied. <In today's episode...>

<Wait a second, I think Kira needs to know something else first.> Lita interrupted. <First of all, Kimi told me to tell you that we're having company over for a few days...>

<Who?> Kira was curious.

<One of Kimi's friends is leaving on vacation, so his Treecko's staying with us for a few days.> Lita continued. <His name's Forest, and he loves "Wonder Chu" with a passion.>

<Seen every episode so far...> Brenna added.

<Owns Wonder Chu everything....> Starshine agreed. <And can rattle off several different versions of the theme song from memory.>

<"Wonder Chu" is about this Pikachu who seems ordinary, but when evil strikes and he sees someone in trouble, he transforms into Wonder Chu.> Lita explained.

<When evil finds your deepest fear, the call goes out from far and near for Wonder Chu!>Starshine sang. <That's part of the theme song.>

<His nemesis is the evil Sir Hikitsu, a scientist type who's always inventing some weird device to take over the world.> Brenna began. <In today's episode, he invented a machine that drained the world's water.>

<What would he want with all the water in the world?> Kira was curious.

<To enslave everyone, again...> Brenna sighed. Wonder Chu could get repetitive after a while. <I wish he'd fight someone other than Sir Hikitsu for a while.>

Just then, the doorbell rang, startling Lita. <And there's Forest now!> Brenna sighed and retreated into her shell--she could only handle so much Wonder Chu, and usually; one episode was enough.

Kira watched the doorway for a moment, then smiled as a Treecko entered the room, chattering on to Lita. <...And who could forget the episode where Sir Hikiitsu invented a net that stole memories! I was afraid when Wonder Chu detransformed and lost his powers when his memories were stolen!> He then noticed Kira listening intently in the corner. <And who might you be?>

<This is Kira, my master's newest adoption.> Lita smiled.

<Hello!> Kira smiled. <I heard you're quite the fan of Wonder Chu!>

<Oh no...> Brenna commented from her shell.

Forest just giggled. <I can see you as Wonder Chu, saving the world from Team Rocket!>

Kira was confused. <Who's Team Rocket?>

<Team Rocket are a group of humans that do lots of horrible things to Pokemon...> Starshine started. <Including attempting to take over the world.>

<I think Wonder Chu could easily take Team Rocket down!> Forest declared.

<Ooh, sounds fun! I want to play Wonder Chu now!> Lita smiled. She drated to the dressup chest and started digging around for an outfit that remotely looked like a superhero's costume.

<Leave me out of this.> Brenna pleaded.

<Well, since you don't like Wonder Chu, could you be the bad guy?> Starshine begged.

<I'll be the bad guy!> Lita volunteered as she emerged from the dressup chest with a black pantsuit outfit, a small black cape, and a top hat. <I have the Sir Hikitsu costume here.>

<Then can I be Wonder Chu?> Kira was excited.

<Sure...in one of the comics, Wonder Chu fought as a Pichu, so there's no harm in letting you be Wonder Chu.> Forest assured Kira as he displayed a tiny Wonder Chu costume: a yellow suit with a sillhouette of a Pikachu face in the center, matching gloves and boots, ear decorations, and a tiny cape.

"How is everything back here?" Kimi asked as she peeked in the room to check on the Pokemon. She also shot a wary glance out the window, where an omnious black building was taking shape outside of town.

<Never fear, citizen! Wonder Chu has arrived!> Kira proudly declared as she leapt from behind a screen, in full Wonder Chu costume.

Kimi just laughed. "You have a Wonder Chu episode to re-enact? Let me see!"

At this, Forest appeared in a makeshift spotlight. <Wonder Chu in: A False Chu!> he declared. Starshine turned the lights out as Forest continued. <Under cover of darkness, something strange began happening all over town...> he began, turning a flashlight on Starshine sneaking off holding a prop topaz pendant. <Real topaz pendants were being stolen...> Starshine slipped a different pendant in the "stolen" one's place. <And pendants charged with Darkstones were left in their place!> Kimi listened to Forest's spiel as she looked out at the black building--was it possible that a Wonder Chu-esque adventure was about to unfold, and she didn't know it?

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 15: Kira, the Superheroine! (part 2)

<Well? Is that big black building in town a big Rocket base or not?> Kira asked as Kimi served the Pokemon their breakfast the next morning, then departed to the kitchen. <If it is, it'll be just like a Wonder Chu episode on TV!> Forest nodded in agreement.

<You realize that if it is, then it would be a very dangerous place?> Brenna cautioned. <Rockets and other teams like them are not to be taken lightly...>

<I can see it now...> Forest mused. <Deep inside those blacked out windows, a Rocket operative devises a plan to take over the world!>

<The people have no idea of what is happening as they go about their daily routines...> Starshine added, playing along with Forest as she help to build a replica of town with some blocks.

<Leave me out of this...> Brenna groaned as she retreated inside her shell. She was in no mood for "Wonder Chu" at this hour of the morning.

<Then suddenly, darkness falls as a horrible monster descends on the town!> Lita intoned, reaching for an action figure of a Salamence to prove her point. To Kira, what was just a toy to a human was full size. She shuddered for a moment as the Salamence figure approached her knocking down some "buildings" in the process, but then remembered the Wonder Chu costume lying in a pile of dress up clothes.

<The cries of the people fill the air, and even Officer Jenny is powerless to help!> Forest continued.

<But suddenly, a yellow bolt of light is seen in the darkness!> Kira proclaimed from the bed overlooking the floor, only pausing to adjust the ear decorations on her costume. <The people cheer when they recognize who it is: Wonder Chu!> With that, she made a flying jump off the bed and onto the floor before the Salamence figure.

<An epic battle ensues!> Forest continued as Kira "fought" the Salamence figure.

<Who will win? This monstrosity made to cause terror? Or the tiny Pichu that lives for love, truth, and justice!> Starshine added.

<Wonder Bolt!> Kira called, generating a tiny spark to prove her point. Lita made the Salamence figure rear back in "pain" from Kira's "attack".

<After hours of tense battle, Wonder Chu delivers the final blow!> Starshine cried as Kira fired another tiny spark at the Salamence figure, prompting Lita to tip it over, as if it had "died".

<The Rockets, seeing that they are defeated, flee in terror!> Forest added. <The clouds part, the sun shines again, and any damage done; Wonder Chu heals.> Kira paused for a moment to rebuild one of the demolished block towers.

<And so the city lives to see another day, knowing that when the next dark time comes, to call for Wonder Chu!> Starshine concluded.

Some applause filled the air, startling the Pokemon. Brenna emerged from her shell to see Kimi in the doorway, applauding. "That was great, guys!"

<Thank you!> Kira smiled.

"However, that building's not a Rocket base at all..." Kimi explained as she led the Pokemon to the window, where she pointed out a sign by the building that said "Future home of another Silph Co. office."

<So it's another Silph building...> Starshine sighed. She had wanted to have their adventure come to life in the real world.

Brenna just giggled. <Maybe they'll develop a way to make a real Wonder Chu!> Everyone laughed, especially Kira--maybe Brenna was warming up to one of her favorite shows after all.

To Be Continued...

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Only one review?! >_< That must be changed!!

Your grammar and writing style are beautiful, and I must say I enjoyed the domestic feel of this story. Not all fics have to be the "oh noez the world is in dnger we must SAV IT!1!!!11eleven!!" kind, and I appreciate this kind of story. The inclusion of Ash was novel (ooh, special Aura powers!) and was a nice way of placing the story in the anime universe. Kimi's life with her Pokemon reveals another side to this world that isn't just journeys and battles, a refreshing distraction from the flood of horrendous New Trainer fics that plague the fandom.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 16: Kira's Checkup

"Here we are, gang..." Kimi smiled as she lead the Pokemon into the bustling Pokemon Center. It wasn't a busy time, but there were still plenty of trainers and travelers dotting the various chairs and couches in the room.

<What are we doing here?> Kira was confused. <I don't feel sick...>

<Kimi's just taking you for an examination to see how well you're growing.> Lita explained. <I get these each year when the battle season starts.>

<Brenna and I do too.> Starshine agreed.

"You don't need to be afraid...Nurse Joy will be happy to answer any questions you have about your health." Kimi began as a Chansey approached the chair she was sitting in.

<Kimi Hanasaku?> the Chansey called into the crowd.

"Come on, you guys..." Kimi called as she followed the Chansey down a hallway and into an examination room, where Nurse Joy was waiting. After setting Kira down on the exam table, Kimi settled in a nearby chair.

<Nothing's going to hurt, okay?> Brenna whispered in encouragement as Nurse Joy ran a thermometer across Kira's forehead.

<I've never seen a thermometer like that before...> Kira commented.

"This one measures a specific area of the forehead for the most accurate reading." Nurse Joy explained as she studied the thermometer readout. "And it says your body temperature is normal for a Pichu." She showed the reading to Kira, which read 100.7--a low grade fever in a human, but to rodent Pokemon, this was normal.

<I'm interested in seeing how she'll react to the reflex test.> Starshine noted as Kira obediently opened her mouth for Nurse Joy to examine.

"Okay, sweetheart, breathe for me a few times..." Nurse Joy smiled as she placed a stethoscope on Kira's chest. Kira complied with the request, making Kimi smile out of encouragement.

<Now for the reflex exam...> Lita noted as Nurse Joy gently tapped one of Kira's feet, making it jerk a little.

<At least they're normal...> Brenna agreed. She had secretly worried that Kira secretly had super strong reflexes that would hypothetically demolish the exam room.

<If you're worried about Kira having very strong reflexes that would break this room, that only works on TV.> Starshine asured Brenna as Nurse Joy reached for an ear light for the final part of the checkup, the ear exam.

"Okay, one more thing and we're done." Nurse Joy assured Kira as she looked inside one ear. "This one's fine..." she mused before examining the other ear. "and so is this one." The checkup complete, Kira eased herself into Kimi's arms from the table.

<All done!> Starshine announced.

<That wasn't so bad, now was it?> Lita smiled.

<Not at all!> Kira replied. <Not even when she made my leg jerk!>

"Do you have any questions for Nurse Joy before we go?" Kimi asked Kira.

"Your Pichu's doing very well, Kimi." Nurse Joy smiled. "And she's very well behaved, too."

"Thanks." Kimi replied.

"Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't forget the vaccination schedule." Nurse Joy began, gesturing to a poster on the door that read "IMPORTANT VACCINATIONS ALL POKEMON SHOULD HAVE."

"I won't." Kimi replied before departing the exam room.

<What's a vaky-nation?> Kira asked.

<A vaccination is a kind of protective medicine used to keep you from catching some terrible diseases.> Brenna explained. <Usually, they are injected, but some of them you can take in a liquid or mist form.>

<I have to get a shot?> Kira asked, panicked. The Pokemon just laughed as Kira's panicked look.

"Fortunately for you, all the Pichu vaccinations are given in liquid form." Kimi assured the shuddering Pichu. "Just like our medicine at home. Kira heaved a sigh of relief at this--being stuck by something sharp did not sound very fun.

To Be Continued...

Back