• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Being to realistic?

Am I being to realistic?

• Yes, your making Pokemon seem too life like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the better the description the better.

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I was writing my fic, when I thought of making one of the Pokémon growl, and its not a dog.

Since Pokémon could be considered animals, would it be too much to make them growl and have hair stand up, so on and such forth?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I would say that using a realistic representation of Pokemon is quite underused, so go for it. In fact, in my fic the Pokemon don't even say their names (oh noes!). I don't really consider Pokemon to be "animals," but their behavior is close enough to that of animals that it doesn't really matter.

Buoysel

Years
I. I don't really consider Pokemon to be "animals," but their behavior is close enough to that of animals that it doesn't really matter.

that is what i meant, but scientifically speaking they would be considered animals. i was also wondering about the name saying thing. it seems to weird, but i am still thinking about it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I try to do that in my fics as well, simply to make it less "kiddy". *glances at your avatar and remembers an example* I've had a Buizel in one of my fics do all these things; growling, raising fur when aggressive, and other things too. In fact, this said Buizel had very otter-like behavoir, making "chuttering" sounds (that were supposed to resemble its in-game cry) along with saying "Buizel", fighting with members of its wild "clan", and so forth. Likewise, an Arcanine in the same fic barked and snarled in loyal dog-like defense of its trainer.

While it may seem weird, I find that giving Pokemon animal-like traits and behavior makes the fic both unique and more interesting. It helps it stick out, because the Pokemon aren't just like humans who say their name and have different bodies/powers. Instead, they seem to have more instinct and actual different kinds of mental consciousness, if you know what I mean... I'd do it if I were you, simply for the sake of making your fic more unique. ^^

Buoysel

Years
I try to do that in my fics as well, simply to make it less "kiddy". *glances at your avatar and remembers an example* I've had a Buizel in one of my fics do all these things; growling, raising fur when aggressive, and other things too. In fact, this said Buizel had very otter-like behavoir, making "chuttering" sounds (that were supposed to resemble its in-game cry) along with saying "Buizel", fighting with members of its wild "clan", and so forth. Likewise, an Arcanine in the same fic barked and snarled in loyal dog-like defense of its trainer.

While it may seem weird, I find that giving Pokemon animal-like traits and behavior makes the fic both unique and more interesting. It helps it stick out, because the Pokemon aren't just like humans who say their name and have different bodies/powers. Instead, they seem to have more instinct and actual different kinds of mental consciousness, if you know what I mean... I'd do it if I were you, simply for the sake of making your fic more unique. ^^

I know what you mean, What i am wondering what is going to far, or is there such a thing, *glances at my dog* short of it humping everything.

FYI Buizel is a Sea weasel Pokemon, not an otter.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Side note: You don't have to be a dog to growl. Humans can growl too. And their hair stands up if they're experiencing certain emotions.

Otherwise, no, it wouldn't be too much at all. It's something your readers would probably not notice too much (as in, as long as you're not over-the-top, you should be fine), and a lot of Pokemon have been known to growl canonically anyway. *shrug*

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I know what you mean, What i am wondering what is going to far, or is there such a thing, *glances at my dog* short of it humping everything.

Well, as for what's going too far... That depends on the context of your story. Personally I believe nothing is going "too far" if the story matches it all. In this case, if someone were writing a story strictly based on the anime, strong accent on instict and animal like traits wouldn't fit very well. But, in a more realistic and serious fic, even what you mentioned about humping things... (depending on the fic's rating of course O_O) ... might be alright.

FYI Buizel is a Sea weasel Pokemon, not an otter.

There is no such animal species classified as a sea-weasel, I believe. An otter, however, is in the weasel family and can live at sea. It also bares strong resemblence to a Buizel.

Buoysel

Years
here is no such animal species classified as a sea-weasel, I believe. An otter, however, is in the weasel family and can live at sea. It also bares strong resemblence to a Buizel.
You are right, but wrong. The Sea Mink is the closeted thing I found to Buizel. It is a member of the Mustelidae family or better know as the Weasel family. But it is extinct. Also the pokedex says buizel is the sea weasel pokemon. Buizels don't live at sea they live on the ground and visit the water often, much like an bever.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
An otter's the closest thing to a Buizel I could think of, and it's probably closely related to the Sea Mink in some way or another. Pokedex "Species" aren't 100% accurate either (such as Cyndaquil being the "Mouse" Pokemon when it is clearly an echidna or something along those lines). Either way, though, it's just a classification. Whichever animal works best for us, right? Now, to get back on topic... :P

Buoysel

Years
? Now, to get back on topic... :P

oh yeah o_o;

Well you see, I have an Arcanine growling in frustration in chapter 3. But the main character's Pokémon I was going to try and make as life like as possible, well actually all the characters. And no humpping is not going to be a problem, I just happened to see my dog and he made a good example. The Pokémon will not reach sexual maturity until after the story ends (will be explained in story.).

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Please use description. It makes everything so much better. And Pokemon don't say their names in my fics, either. That's reserved for the anime, which is intended to brainwash teach children the names of all of the Pokemon.

Buoysel

Years
eggs?

Seeing as making them growl is not going overboard, what about breading? Not the actual process, but the product. The anime has eggs, I think this is to keep kids form asking their parents where babies come from. This being said do you think it is too much have baby Pokémon that are new born, not by egg hatching.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
That's not too much at all. It's perfectly fine. Reasonably, (at least in a more realistic world) a mammal such as Pikachu wouldn't lay a Pichu egg. It would have a live-born Pichu. However, canonically speaking all Pokemon do lay eggs. It depends on the context of your fic, once again. If it's intended to be as realistic as possible, it's fine, though it would be out of place in an anime-style universe.

PS: I think you mean "brEEding", not "breading". XD

Buoysel

Years
Ah who's counting, I only worry about grammar when I am posting a chapter or review. Some Pokémon could lay eggs such as Pidgey and maybe dragons like Salamence.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
No cause if you are a regular watcher of anime like me, you would know that some pokemon make growls, like Mightyena and Poochyena

Back