• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How do you train to a high level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Many boast of having lvl 100 Pokemon, how do you get up to that sort of level? Once I get to lvl 50+ it becomes very hard to train, I have battled all the trainers around Hoen and rebattled those that want a rematch, all that seems left is to kill wild Pokemon in Victory Road and defeat the Elite four over and over and even then it just gets harder and harder to lvl up not to mention repetetive and dull.

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 25, 2016
use the vs seeker on the trainers on victory road or trainers who had pokemon in their 40's
and they should be on a higher level when you battle them using vs.seeker or yes you can just beat the elite four over and over and over you get the idea that's how i usually get my pokemon to high levels and i never get them all them on Lv100 round about 70 or 80 and my starter on 100.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Several ways of getting more exp fast:
*Trade onto another game for the traded bonus
*Train them in FRLG, where the elite four are higher levels
*Attatch a lucky egg, a hold item which doubles Exp gained

Not much else you can do really, just run through the elite four millions of times. I had to beat them 400+ to get a team of 6 100s on RSE, but far less on FRLG.

Lynnx

half listening.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 11, 2009
My VS Seeker is my friend. It's probably the most-used item of mine besides my bike in LeafGreen. I just find a spot near a good healing area like that Chansey guy's house in FRLG or the Ember Spa, save, and start training. I don't beat the E4 over and over again because I have to use a ton of money to buy items for each run.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Many bouts with the "Elite" Four Five when you include the Champ.

Here's something though: As you go through your travels, fight every wild Pokemon you encounter, instead of running.

ceremony

rah rah
Years
Several ways of getting more exp fast:
*Trade onto another game for the traded bonus
*Train them in FRLG, where the elite four are higher levels
*Attatch a lucky egg, a hold item which doubles Exp gained

Not much else you can do really, just run through the elite four millions of times. I had to beat them 400+ to get a team of 6 100s on RSE, but far less on FRLG.

+400? who was on your team? i was on about my 11th run when i had my guys at 75ish

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, I've pretty much done everything everyone above has mentioned.

Those of us who don't cheat rely heavily on the VS Seeker...I try to use it constantly in the Sevii Islands. And yeah, it's hard to battle the E4 over and over again because of the money problem...
My highest level in firered right now (I just got FR a couple months ago, but I've already beat LeafGreen and my starter is at level 91. I'm satisfied.) is at 74...so don't worry. It's hard work levelling them up after they've hit 50.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
In firered, i go to the area before mt. ember and fight the karate guys there.
its a great place because ember spa is right next to it, so i won't have to waste as much time going to the poke center to heal and go all the way back.
my highest level was my level 65 haunter(i was using an emulator so i couldn't evolve) and my level 80 mewtwo.
In R/S/E, i either fought the E4 or fought in the top floor of sky pillar.
there was very few places to train up, but i still got a level 100 groudon from it.

Years
I generally keep battling the Elite 4 over and over again until I get sick of it. It's a nice way of earning more money to buy stuff like TMs, but it can get very monotonous and tedious. When I get tired of the Elite 4, I generally battle where high leveled pokemon are like the Sky Pillar, Victory Road, Cerulean Cave, and other places. If you spend enough time there, you might get lucky and spot a shiny pokemon. That's happened to me before. The VS seeker is also good for rematches, but I prefer the Elite 4.

An easy trick is to just use traded pokemon or pokemon with a lucky egg to boost up Exp points earned. The easiest way of leveling up to 100 is just using a lot of rare candies. If you have a pokemon with the Pickup ability, you can get rare candies. That might be easier if you have an entire team of Zigzagoons and Phanpy. :)

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
I usually get my Pokémon up to the level of the Elite Four's, then after that, train in the area with the strongest wild Pokémon or just spam the Elite Four constantly.

In many cases, my first Level 100 is my starter, who I give unprecidented attention to.

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
Years
um isn't it kinda obvious you battle people, and after that use the vs. seeker to battle them again, that or keep taking on the elite four. if all else fails use an AR

Years
Two ways that I did not see mentioned yet:

1. Secret Base Trainers. Grab a friend (or possibly yourself), put some high-leveled pokemon on his/her/your cart, and mix records. I have a number of random secret bases on my game; even the ones whose pokemon are low-leveled still give a solid amount of EXP.

2. Item Cloning Glitch on Emerald. Use it for Rare Candies; a small amount of cheating
cloning work, and you'll have enough candy to level scads of pokemon to the top instantly. (Just be sure you've acquired all your EVs first.)

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
Years
Man, My sister took her Blastoise to level 94 easily. I got and idea, If you have a friend who has Pokemon Emerald, tell him to clone RARE CANDIES and trade them over.
I raise my Pokemon in Pkmn Emerald by giving them a lot of rare candies.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2009
Many boast of having lvl 100 Pokemon, how do you get up to that sort of level? Once I get to lvl 50+ it becomes very hard to train, I have battled all the trainers around Hoen and rebattled those that want a rematch, all that seems left is to kill wild Pokemon in Victory Road and defeat the Elite four over and over and even then it just gets harder and harder to lvl up not to mention repetetive and dull.

you can try this if you want.

all you need is a pokemon with explosion(lvl 50 or above for sure shot kill) and TM17(Protect)and some revives. If you want to earn money just add amulet coin

all you have to do is battle the reporters again and again,
first use protect on your high level pokemon and then use explosion
on your another pokemon after doing this the expirience that your fainted pokemon (because of explosion) got will be passed to you high level pokemon that uses protect. 1500 for Magneton and 1700 for exploud total of 3200exp per battle.

it can even be faster if you trade your pokemon to another version and if you have a Lucky Egg

The location of the pokemon Reporters.

Right side of lavaridge town below the desert.
Right side of mauville just surf to other side and you will see them
Right side of foretree city just walk to the right until you see them
and then back to lavaridge

you can also do this on you low level pokemon. it can reach lvl 50 in less than 30mins

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for all the replies, this is on Ruby so there is no VS seeker, I was already battling Gabby and Ty, so I'll just continue doing that, and I will trade some over to Fire red when I get nearer to completing it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Fact: Most Pokémon take as much EXP to train from level 1 to 79 as from 79 for 100. So at level 79, you're not 79% done, but only half way.

Anyway, I have Emerald so I now just mass-clone rare candies. But if you don't feel like doing it that way, or don't have Emerald, then there's two main ways.
The first is continuous E4 battles. I trained my first Salamence that way. If you can 1HKO all their Pokémon, and turn animations off, it takes around 15 minutes tops per run-through. My record is 12 minutes, I think.

Another way is to do secret base battles. This is only really viable if you have a few friends with high-leveled Pokémon or multiple games and GBAs. If you visit a friend's secret base after mixing records with them, you can battle a CPU trainer who uses the Pokémon they had when they mixed records. However, you can only do this once a day, and if you lose, you can't battle them again that day even if you reset the game. It also doesn't work unless you've beaten the E4 already, which I assume you have.

On the positive side, if you can get 5-10 secret bases using Pokémon of levels 80 and up, you can level your own Pokémon quite fast. It helps if you get them to use Pokémon with high base EXP rates, such as starters, legendaries, and Chansey/Blissey.

Finally, there's a trick to battling is secret bases more than once a day - mix records with someone. Every time you mix records, it resets the bases, meaning you can battle all the secret base trainers, mix records, battle them all again, and repeat. Of course, this is only viable if you have multiple RSE games, multiple GBAs, and a link cable.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
I use the E4 a lot of the time. I am a fairly lucky trainer as i got Pokerus from a Bidoof. I tend to use the VS Seeker more than ANY other item in my BAG.

I have gotten over 20 Lucky Egg's because i used to hunt Chansey trying to get Calm natured one

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Anyway, I don't really tend to level my Pokémon as much any more, due to the level 50 and 100 modes on D/P's Wi-fi. But you still need to level for moves and to evolve...

Well, good luck with the training - I can't do secret base battles any more, since I don't have another GBA, and my Emerald has the Berry Glitch (wasn't that supposed to be fixed?) so they won't battle me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back