• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Closed Poetry.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
These are just some poems I had to write for a closed poetry project in school.
Remember that they are closed forms of poetry, so that means there are specific rules about syllable count, rhyming, and word stress. Of course, this drove me mad and it made me have to cut corners several times.

We were also encouraged to use more poetic techniques for extra points - alliteration & assonance & consonance, onomatopoeia, synesthesia, synecdoche & metonymy, simile & metaphor, personification, juxtaposition & paradox, caesura,.

If something doesn't sound right, blame it on the assignment.

After a month of constant explication, your mind changes a little. Er, it stuck with me.

I'll admit I'm not the best writer.
I don't really like to write about happy things.

You can't use any of the following works without permission.

Sestina: form 6-6-6-6-6-6-3, the last word of each line in every stanza must be repeated in the following order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) becomes (6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3). The final stanza uses (2, 5 / 4, 3 / 6, 1).

Spoiler:

Tanka: form 5-lines, syllable count 5-7-5-7-7.

Spoiler:

Villanelle (x2): form 3-3-3-3-3-4, rhyme is A-B-A-A-B-A-A-B-A-A, etc. Final stanza has rhyme scheme of A-B-A-A. The last lines of stanzas 2 and 4 are the same as the first line of stanza 1. The last lines of stanzas 3 and 5 are the same as the last line of stanza 1. Note: The first one I took poetic license on and broke the rules a bit. The title is pronounced "KNEE-MO-SIGH-KNEE."

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sonnet: Form 14-lines, iambic pentameter (5 iambs in each line, iamb: two syllable form with one stress, second syllable receives stress) - 10 syllables per line. Rhymed either ABAB-CDCD-EFEF-GG (Petrarchan) or ABBA-ABBA-CDE-CDE (Elizabethan).

Spoiler:

I may edit and add a pantoum if I feel like writing one.
Ask for interpretations and references if you do not understand. I'll PM you.

Last edited:

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 18, 2015
Congratulations I turned my music off to read this.
I've subscribed so you better keep this updated.

Back