• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing as a female

joehat

Yay
Years
Do you think it's weird if a guy plays video games as a female character? I don't mean like Tomb Raider or Metroid..I mean games where you have a choice. Pokemon, Saints Row 2, Skate 2, other RPG's and so on..I usually choose the girl. I just find it more entertaining haha.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Ever since Pokemon Crystal, I've been a girl, and I'm a guy.
I wouldn't say its wierd, for example, on Peal and Diamond (and I guess Platinum too), the girl characters are MUCH more better looking than guys. lucas sucks, no offence. Brendan doesn't look bad but I prefer May. Dont know why I chose the girl FR character. Also, I was girl character on Animal Crossing: City Folk because..ummm....XD
Spookily enough, in most games I find girls look more better than boys O_o

Maybe I'm gender confused XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
I don't find it weird at all. If you prefer the way the other character looks, you should choose them. I never really thought about it much, but I always pick the guy (since I am one) on both Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I do think that some of the girl Pokemon characters look better than the guys, though. I think there are a lot of people who play as the opposite gender.

Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes I like to play as the male just to mix things up a bit, but I usually play as the females since I like their designs better. xD

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
Years
Yup, I do it most of the time. Unless this female is ugly of course. Kinda shallow...

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
Years
I dont think its weird at all, I main females in many games, Peach in brawl, Toadette in MKWII, Yu and Rei in puyo pop (they're 1 pair character even tho Rei is a boy) and for some reason there end up quite a few females in my mario super sluggers team.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I usually play as the girl because the designs are nicer. 8| They've had such ugly guys as the males in the Pokémon series for ages.

But outside of Pokémon games (or even in them), I have no problem if people play as the opposite gender. I do all the time so I don't see why it makes a difference. Usually people play as the character they're best at or who they like the most so... I don't see why it's a big deal. :x

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
Years
If there is a girl character, I play as her. I like the design better, and it's always fun playing as a female. Because usually it's just a male. But I don't mind playing as a male.

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
I like to spice things up a bit sometimes I'll play as a girl just for the heck of it

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Lol I dunno. I haven't played too many games where you can select to play as a female aside from Pokemon :\ I need to play some more games.

I chose the girl once in Crystal because that was like the big thing about Crystal. But haven't since. I have no problems playing Nintendo's princesses in stuff like Mario Kart or Smash Bros.

But, otherwise I haven't played much where I have the choice.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • WI
  • Seen Feb 14, 2013
When I feel bored being the boy then I play as the girl for a change. Nothing is different between the genders, but except for the looks and coloring of the fonts at times... :\

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Always. I have this weird affinity for girl power, so I love kicking ass as a girl.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2010
I played as the male characters on games that you had to choice of gender because the game had different slots, and I played as the male character after I completed the story with female character. I also play as male characters sometimes on fighting and action games as well. I never played as the male character in a Pokemon game though.

Last edited:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Out of pure habit I pick a boy. I don't find anything wrong with a boy playing a girl, especially if it's their preference.
Also, I rarely play any game that gives you the option to choose between a boy or girl aside from Pokemon, so I don't know about that...merely guessing that I'll pick the boy, though I might pick the girl if I don't like the boy character.
I guess for me it depends.

Kaiyori

Godzrilla hungry?
Years
Pretty much, I don't mind whichever one.

I usually pick the guy because I am a guy, That's just me though. It's not really a personal preference, Just sort of a habit XD.

I really wouldn't mind if I looked like a 80 year old transvestite :x

It's just the game that matters XD.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I usually pick the female character if there's a choice, and I've been doing it since Pokemon Crystal. A notable exception would be for games where the actual game dynamics differ. For example, in Tales of Symphonia, I usually end up controlling Lloyd, Kratos, or Zelos simply because their fighting styles are more comfortable for me to use in-game than any of its female characters.

But for games where the gender makes no major gameplay differences, expect me to choose the female character. They usually have a more attractive design (especially 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon, where the male characters are downright horrid IMO. Brendan with white hair? Lucas with that weird hat? Sorry, but no).

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
Whenever I play a game, I always choose the female role whenever I can. It just feels nice to be the opposite gender for once. =)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2010
This Might be Weird for Young Poeple ( Under Age 10 ) but not for Grown up

I Sometimes Play as a Female Character, But without Saving, Ex: Pokemon. Playing new Game. Choosing Female Character. Seeing whats the Diffeerence bettween it and the Male Character. Turning off without Saving. and thats it ....

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 18, 2015
I play a female character occasionally. Depends on the mood when I start a game. xD

Back