• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Legendary Beasts

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
I just noticed the title and responses in this thread, and I had to wonder... why do people insist on calling Entei, Raikou, and Suicune dogs? Isn't it kind of obvious that they're a lion, tiger, and leopard respectively?

As far as I remember, their original Japanese title was "the legendary beasts", so where did "dogs" come from? Knowing better, why does the title stay?

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Its just a random generalization made by the fans once again. It always happens with franchises so yeah. But they are definetely Lion Tiger and Cheetah. Yeah Suicune is more cheetah then leopard for me.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I'm pretty sure it started in the anime, since I watched the 4kids version when I was little I seem to remember someone saying Legendary Dogs, so I've always called them that because of 4kids until I found out they were called the Legendary Beasts and sometimes cats, so I don't really know what to call them anymore

Bloodmoon

Wolf Pack Member
Years
I thought people called them the Legendary Gerbils, at least according to a 10 year servey. But, I always called them beasts though, because dogs or cats is making them sound more like pets.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
I'm pretty sure it started in the anime, since I watched the 4kids version when I was little I seem to remember someone saying Legendary Dogs, so I've always called them that because of 4kids until I found out they were called the Legendary Beasts and sometimes cats, so I don't really know what to call them anymore

What did you think they were? Without 4Kids' titles and all? This reminds me of an experiment I heard about in my psychopathology course...

...You sign up for a psychology experiment, and on a specified date you and seven others whom you think are also subjects arrive and are seated at a table in a small room. You don't know it at the time, but the others are actually associates of the experimenter, and their behavior has been carefully scripted. You're the only real subject.

The experimenter arrives and tells you that the study in which you are about to participate concerns people's visual judgments. She places two cards before you. The card on the left contains one vertical line. The card on the right displays three lines of varying length.

asch_conformity.gif

The experimenter asks all of you, one at a time, to choose which of the three lines on the right card matches the length of the line on the left card. The task is repeated several times with different cards. On some occasions the other "subjects" unanimously choose the wrong line. It is clear to you that they are wrong, but they have all given the same answer...

...In 1951 social psychologist Solomon Asch devised this experiment to examine the extent to which pressure from other people could affect one's perceptions. In total, about one third of the subjects who were placed in this situation went along with the clearly erroneous majority...

To Asch's surprise, 37 of the 50 subjects conformed to the majority at least once, and 14 of them conformed on more than 6 of the 12 trials. When faced with a unanimous wrong answer by the other group members, the mean subject conformed on 4 of the 12 trials. Asch was disturbed by these results: "The tendency to conformity in our society is so strong that reasonably intelligent and well-meaning young people are willing to call white black. This is a matter of concern. It raises questions about our ways of education and about the values that guide our conduct."

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I don't know where the gerbil thing came from but I definitely wouldn't call them that, technically they are types of cats but too many people with disagree and say they're dogs, I think beasts would be the best answer since no matter what you say they are beasts.

beast(bēst)
n.
    1. An animal other than a human, especially a large four-footed mammal.
    2. New England & Southern U.S. A large domestic animal, especially a horse or bull.
  1. Animal nature as opposed to intellect or spirit: "So far the beast in us has insisted upon having its full say" (William Dean Howells).
  2. A brutal, contemptible person.

That first definition pretty much sums up why they are beasts

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I just noticed the title and responses in this thread, and I had to wonder... why do people insist on calling Entei, Raikou, and Suicune dogs? Isn't it kind of obvious that they're a lion, tiger, and leopard respectively?

As far as I remember, their original Japanese title was "the legendary beasts", so where did "dogs" come from? Knowing better, why does the title stay?

That is exactly how I labeled them. They look more like cats than dogs but the argument is so common that generally they are referred to as Beasts.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
I think suicune looks like a wolf, I mean, he has a long nose and everything for COL.
I don't know where you get leporard from, maybe because it has spots but a lot of animals have spots, a hyena would be a better guess.

Oh and, Entei and Raikou can bark appearently.

Ayselipera

I've heard cats, dogs, and beasts, but I think for the most part they look like cats/felines whichever you prefer. The only one that makes me think otherwise is Suicune. Suicune just doesn't look like a feline... to me atleast. Raikou has the saber tooth tiger thing going on and Entei looks like a lion, but Suicune looks more like a wolf.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm pretty sure I had a guidebook for Gold/Silver that called them the Legendary Dogs. o.o; So that's probably where it came from for me and it just... spread.

I do agree they're more feline in nature but I'll still always call them the Legendary Dogs. Old habits are hard to break and all.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
I have a pertinant question - why on earth does it matter? XD

according to bulbapedia, suicune is either a wolf or a leopard, entei is a lion and raikou is a thunder demon.

So you have one that could be a dog or cat, one that is a cat, and one that is neither.

Really, I think beasts is probably the best.

Years
most people call them dogs, some calll them cats, and some call them beasts. lets just leave whoever calls them whatever alon and not start a huge argument.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
Well it is like people calling Mesprite, Uxie, and Azlef the "Legendary Twins" when twins refer to two almost 100% similar being.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
I agree that they are big cats but i just refer to them as beasts so i dont get shouted at.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Entei seemed more dog-like to me. And even Nintendo Power referred to them as dogs. Anyone have the issue that Pokemon Colosseum was in? There was a picture of all three dogs/beasts/what have you and the caption underneath said, "Let the big dogs eat." I've always gone with dogs. -shrug- I don't think it's that big a deal, though.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
Okay, here's my idea.
Why doesn't everybody, oh I don't know, read up on the differences between one type of animal to the other before guessing what animal they could be.

You wanna know why some people call them the legendary gerbils?
It's because people come up with so many different conclusions of what the beasts are.

Besides all that, all Pokemon are based on more then one thing. Is Pikachu just a mouse? No, it's a electric mouse. Is Meowth just a maine neko, no he's a maine neko that can walk (if taught). You can't just say they're dogs or cats for that reason.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I have a pertinant question - why on earth does it matter? XD

according to bulbapedia, suicune is either a wolf or a leopard, entei is a lion and raikou is a thunder demon.

So you have one that could be a dog or cat, one that is a cat, and one that is neither.

Really, I think beasts is probably the best.
I always pegged Raikou as being based off the sabre-toothed tiger. o.o

Back