• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About the Hoenn-set games.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Okay, so it looks like people are using RMXP & stuff to remake the Hoenn games, now that the Johto games are remade.

Here's the problem, though: graphics. No, I'm not saying people are using bad graphics.

Look, let me show y'all examples:

1. Lustrous Emerald uses Gen 4 style Hoenn sprites.
2. The Hoenn Project uses the FR/LG style Hoenn main-character sprites. Although the playable characters would look different than in R/S/E, it's still a Gen 3 style.

...Now, since the possible R/S remakes will probably be in Gen 5, what style should we be using...Gen 5.

...Now, one might be getting ready to reply, "but we don't know what the gen 5 style is!" Well, I've been noticing that it's recently been HINTED towards. (Very recently!)

...It all started with Game Freak's mention that, fort he first time, THEY'RE making a Wii game. Then came along the hiring sheet for a full-time 3D graphics artist. Next, serebii.net/index2.shtml pretty much said that this might not be a PBR sequel, (following in the vein of the previous-Battle in 3D!-games,) but in fact a Wii Pokepark game.

...Now, you might think this just means there is a new Pokepark coming. But wait, why on Wii? And if it's on Wii, why Game Freak, who pretty much has no 3D graphics experince?

...I think Tsunekazu Ishihara or someone once mentioned that they pretty much will always improve on the graphics. However, they might not want to approach a harder grapchis style until THEY ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. They just avoided 3D graphics on the DS, a 64-bit system, (while still improving on the graphics,) by making it 2.5D-ish, but in order to improve ont he 5th gen, it looks like they might HAVE to do 3D. The Pokepark Wii game might be an excuse to use a game for testing purposes.

...So, yeah. I'm just saying that more of the new-Hoenn-set projects should be full 3D, because that's what the R/S remake might end up being...

-PM260

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I don't think that Gen.5 will debut on a home console.
It's not about making 3D graphics or having the hardware to do it (since the development houses can share resources and gamefreak could just use the same graphics engine and resources from Battle Revolution)-.
I remember reading an interview where it was said the reason why the Pokémon gameplay works well on portable hardware was because of the nature of being able to go out and trade with people.

Now as the tech develops and the modern Gameboy is the DS and trading has now been taken online, I still think that gamefreak are happy- and content with doing the full scale RPGs on a handheld because it keeps costs low and you will most likely sell more units on that system (since both the system is cheaper then a home console, and games themselves are cheaper). It makes sense for them as a company (and with their background in the market) to keep the main Pokemon games on a portable console.

If Hoenn does get remade- it will most likely be mid way through Gen5 on whatever portable console Nintendo follow the DS up with.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
I don't think that Gen.5 will debut on a home console.
It's not about making 3D graphics or having the hardware to do it (since the development houses can share resources and gamefreak could just use the same graphics engine and resources from Battle Revolution)-.
I remember reading an interview where it was said the reason why the Pokémon gameplay works well on portable hardware was because of the nature of being able to go out and trade with people.

Now as the tech develops and the modern Gameboy is the DS and trading has now been taken online, I still think that gamefreak are happy- and content with doing the full scale RPGs on a handheld because it keeps costs low and you will most likely sell more units on that system (since both the system is cheaper then a home console, and games themselves are cheaper). It makes sense for them as a company (and with their background in the market) to keep the main Pokemon games on a portable console.

If Hoenn does get remade- it will most likely be mid way through Gen5 on whatever portable console Nintendo follow the DS up with.
I never said it won't be portable.

I said it will probably 3D. Doesn't mean it won't be portable. Who says a spinoff Wii game can't be used to test 3D graphics for future portable 3D games?

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
you've got a pretty good case there. But just throwing it out there I don't really think the Wii's Graphics are too good. I mean compare PBR to XD.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I trailed off topic though.
...So, yeah. I'm just saying that more of the new-Hoenn-set projects should be full 3D, because that's what the R/S remake might end up being...
Your advice to Hoenn inspired fan game developers is to wait and use the 3D graphics? Or is it just to use 3D graphics?
I can't tell....

Either way, I don't really think that should be the case.

Just because pokemon may or may-not go 3D should not effect your fan game. The thing that makes fan game's interesting is that it's another person's take on the pokemon world- if I wanted to play a game that played just like the game freak games, I'd just go buy it.

If you have a clear direction with the graphics, I don't see why ya should have an issue. I think you should understand this with Neo Showcase.
Your game doesn't look like HeartGold/SoulSilver.... So why are you telling other users to wait and see what gamefreak does and emulate it?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Fan-games shouldn't aspire to be exactly the same as the official ones.
Well said.

I'd just like to mention that it sounds as though PM260 is suggesting people use 3D graphics (perhaps even make a 3D game) when recreating Hoenn. That's... quite a big challenge.

Also, note the paradox of trying to make the games look like Gen 5 games when they don't (yet) exist. Since there's nothing official to compare to, fangames following this thread's suggestion would clearly be different to the existing games (because they'd be using 3D), and that makes them different enough to be interesting. Having said that, though, I doubt it'd work well in the end - Pokémon should have that cartoony feeling in the end, I think, and switching to 3D graphics always detracts from that.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
I trailed off topic though.

Your advice to Hoenn inspired fan game developers is to wait and use the 3D graphics? Or is it just to use 3D graphics?
I can't tell....

Either way, I don't really think that should be the case.

Just because pokemon may or may-not go 3D should not effect your fan game. The thing that makes fan game's interesting is that it's another person's take on the pokemon world- if I wanted to play a game that played just like the game freak games, I'd just go buy it.

If you have a clear direction with the graphics, I don't see why ya should have an issue. I think you should understand this with Neo Showcase.
Your game doesn't look like HeartGold/SoulSilver.... So why are you telling other users to wait and see what gamefreak does and emulate it?
Point taken. I guess the reason behind my statements was that I thought that, before an actual remake is released, there should be more reamkes of the possible remake style. Maybe not all Hoenn fangames, but some should just try to show what the actual Hoenn remakes are gonaa be like.

...Maybe i'm crazy on this subject, I don't know. But there would be a certain feel to it if some remakes went tnhat road.

-PM260

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
You know what, scratch everything I said. That wasn't the smartest opinion I guess.

...But I still stand by my opinion that Gen 5 might be 3D.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
Well said.

I'd just like to mention that it sounds as though PM260 is suggesting people use 3D graphics (perhaps even make a 3D game) when recreating Hoenn. That's... quite a big challenge.

Also, note the paradox of trying to make the games look like Gen 5 games when they don't (yet) exist. Since there's nothing official to compare to, fangames following this thread's suggestion would clearly be different to the existing games (because they'd be using 3D), and that makes them different enough to be interesting. Having said that, though, I doubt it'd work well in the end - Pokémon should have that cartoony feeling in the end, I think, and switching to 3D graphics always detracts from that.

it may be a little hard but theres scripting out there for XP that allows you to create 3D games. Their also working on a 3D RM and theres already one I'm downloading at the moment like RPG Maker. This topic has given me the idea to create an Emerald remake with regular RMXP and then one with the 3D software. I'll make a poll thread with 25% of the completed games and ask which is better.

Back