PDA

View Full Version : FireRed hack: Pokémon Identity

Pages : 1 [2]

Lopnis
December 18th, 2010, 12:37 AM
This was amazing I have to say especially for just being the Demo the first thing that hooked me was the story it always left me guessing and it still has me hooked with how you ended the demo what else is you gave me other things to do like those little side missions you could do in the beginning atleast I think they were side missions and hope that more will appear later on there is also your Characters they actually feel like they have life even those characters that just pop up like Kaius finally and this one may sound strange but pokemon placement I like that you had more choices of what kind of pokemon I could build my team with which is something I apperciated the only problems I had were with direction in the forest it took me awhile to find out were to go and the sewers were a bit confusing and frustrating since there were many doors and it was rather difficult to find the right one maybe you could change the doors and entryways that lead to the surface a little so you it's easier for the player to find it.

XDragonRiderX
December 18th, 2010, 2:34 PM
Does this happen before or after the demo ends?
Sorry for replying so late, it was after the Demo ended and you took me to SilverTone City.

SkieTheKitsune
December 22nd, 2010, 9:51 PM
"When you're done beating up the homeless, try the other sewer exit."

Best line I've read in the entire demo. Oh, and by the way, this is fantastic so far. Keep up the good work with this. :3

Ocarion
December 26th, 2010, 5:30 PM
I spent 15 minutes looking for clues on when the next demo would be released. And I'm glad it'll be availible on new years. This is seriously my favorite hack of all time.

Cooltrainerag
December 27th, 2010, 6:45 AM
I spent 15 minutes looking for clues on when the next demo would be released. And I'm glad it'll be availible on new years. This is seriously my favorite hack of all time.

Didn't play the hack, but watched a playthrough of it. At the end of the beta, VGAura tells you in the form of an unknown icon that the next beta will be released this New Years. It looked really good though in the playthrough I watched. I was just busy with other stuff to bother trying it myself.

Until very recently did I consider playing this hack. Except I figured I'd might as well wait for this upcoming beta before going on with starting the game.

VGAura
December 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I will not be able to release the next version on new years as promised.
I encountered some major problems during testing involving the hacked engine.
I couldn't make Identity work properly and, to be honest, it was a huge mistake to not test it out before inserting the new maps and scripts.
(I applied the patch of the hacked engine first, then the patch of Identity)

In the worst case scenario, I will have to transfer all maps and scripts manually.
I'll try to find a way around this problem but as it stands, it is currently unplayable.

Kip
December 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
<Bad Stuff>

Blast...

Ah well - these things happen VG. It's always a risk when hacking a game. Hope you have backups! ^^ If you can't get a release out for a while, how about a few more screenies?

Either way, you have our support regardless. Keep working on it. :)

SkieTheKitsune
December 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Oh, no, not bad stuff! D:

Well, nevertheless, I wish you all the luck in fixing it.

voicerader
December 31st, 2010, 2:24 AM
D: this is definitely NOT what i wanted to hear... But, I shall still be eagerly awaiting it nonetheless.

By the way, I'm sure you don't know the answer, but... Is there any time period that we could expect this to be fixed? End of Jan. or Feb would sure be nice :3

XDragonRiderX
January 1st, 2011, 11:10 PM
Kill me.... now... JK, too bad! What was the problem?

chrunch
January 3rd, 2011, 3:12 PM
you just ruined my whole year
I was looking forward to playing this, but oh well, things like this happen. ;_;
do you have any idea how long the setback would be?

VGAura
January 3rd, 2011, 8:32 PM
A couple of things went wrong.

The game black screens when it asks for your name in the beginning.
I forgot that the hacked engine erases pre-existing scripts.
Could not get new sprites to show up properly.

I've decided to manually transfer all of the maps, scripts, sprites, etc.
On the plus side, it means that I can clean up my older scripts.

As for how long it would take, this is quite troubling because the reason I planned on a new years release date is because I'm really busy this month and will not have a lot of time to even fix those problems.

Kip
January 5th, 2011, 6:07 AM
A couple of things went wrong.

The game black screens when it asks for your name in the beginning.
I forgot that the hacked engine erases pre-existing scripts.
Could not get new sprites to show up properly.

I've decided to manually transfer all of the maps, scripts, sprites, etc.
On the plus side, it means that I can clean up my older scripts.

As for how long it would take, this is quite troubling because the reason I planned on a new years release date is because I'm really busy this month and will not have a lot of time to even fix those problems.

Hey dude - these things happen. At least you're keeping us well informed ^^ unlike some other mysteriously delayed hacks I could mention... I'm curious though, what advantages does the hacked engine have over the standard one (without giving away plot points of course ;) ).

VGAura
January 5th, 2011, 9:00 AM
The hacked engine will let me switch the overworld sprite and many of its other features will let me create actual puzzles as opposed to mazes that I've only done so far.

Also, the ability to add near-infinite amounts of overworld palettes and sprites is a nice thing to have.

nicholaszero8
January 6th, 2011, 3:17 AM
What does the level of genetic engineering mean ?

voicerader
January 6th, 2011, 9:45 PM
Meaning it (probably) wont be released this month. That's all I was asking.

The Corrupt Plague
January 12th, 2011, 6:09 AM
That's okay, VG. I would actually rather play a hack that has been tested thoroughly and well polished than one that has been rushed and full of bugs. I would like to see you take your time on it because that make it much better and more refined. Like I said earlier, I really enjoyed the demo and I expect great things when the next one does appear. Good luck!

RuRuBell
January 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Naturally it's a bit of a shame that it's delayed, but I'm willing to wait-these things happen, of course, and I'm sure that you're trying your best. I'd be willing to wait another year to play more of this hack. ;)

Good luck!

Diegoisawesome
January 14th, 2011, 5:10 PM
Hey, VGAura, there IS a tool for the hacked engine. If you have a pretty recent copy, you can use the tool instead. It will not erase pre-existing scripts, and you can choose WHERE to apply the things to... meaning that nothing will be overwritten!

If you don't have backups... how have you even gotten this far???

VGAura
January 14th, 2011, 6:58 PM
Do you mean the hacked routine applier?
It doesn't create the table at 0x1A2000 that allows us to create our own OW tables.

Also, I do have backups but they're either:
From before I applied the hacked engine - These backups work but many scripts that uses the hacked engine weren't implemented yet. (Even if I do implement them, they won't work without the hacked engine)
or
After I applied the hacked engine - These backups black-screens once the player gets asked to input their name.

Diegoisawesome
January 14th, 2011, 7:14 PM
Do you mean the hacked routine applier?
It doesn't create the table at 0x1A2000 that allows us to create our own OW tables.

Also, I do have backups but they're either:
From before I applied the hacked engine - These backups work but many scripts that uses the hacked engine weren't implemented yet. (Even if I do implement them, they won't work without the hacked engine)
or
After I applied the hacked engine - These backups black-screens once the player gets asked to input their name.
Well, it's probably not created at 0x1A2000 because you input its offset into the program.
Use the tool and implement everything into addresses of your choice. Then put the things you implemented afterward into that copy (after testing, of course).

VGAura
January 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I don't think the applier has an option that creates the new OW table because it never prompts you for an offset, and I tried everything in that tool.
That's why I need the hacked engine to work.

Also, I don't think it creates the new palette table either.

Diegoisawesome
January 15th, 2011, 7:10 AM
I don't think the applier has an option that creates the new OW table because it never prompts you for an offset, and I tried everything in that tool.
That's why I need the hacked engine to work.

Also, I don't think it creates the new palette table either.
It creates the new OW table, you have to apply the Overworld hacks and then click "Get changed data". As for the palette table, you'll probably need to repoint that manually.

VGAura
January 15th, 2011, 7:17 PM
You're right, the routine applier does create the new OW table, I just have to find it.

Rais
January 19th, 2011, 2:06 PM
are you making good progress VG? it would make me ever so happy if you are :D

Babebraham
January 19th, 2011, 4:09 PM
what do i need to play Pokemon Identity?

SkieTheKitsune
January 22nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
what do i need to play Pokemon Identity?

You need the following 3 things-

1. An emulator. (Since this is a hack of a GBA game I recommend VBA- (by the way, that's VisualBoyAdvance if you don't know), but you can always pick something else)
2. A clean FireRed rom. (Specifically the English rom. If you want to get even more specific, use the file name that is given in the first post. I ain't giving anything out because linking to roms is not allowed, obviously.)
3. An IPS patcher. (I recommend Lunar IPS, but again, you can always pick something else.)

Download the IPS patch, use the patcher to patch it to a copy of the rom, rename the rom to (preferably) the title of this hack, and bingo, you've got yourself a demo of Pokemon Identity. I hope that was helpful.

xDaisuke0
January 30th, 2011, 9:03 PM
Played this through twice cuz it was so good.
Games should be like this, it's indepth and totally different.
Sucks to hear that you're facing some trouble and it's not coming out yet but hope you can fix it all up and take your time, we're all waiting eagerly but patiently.
:D Good Luck.

evefarrel
February 1st, 2011, 4:20 PM
I am not far into the demo yet but so far it is an amazing game. I love the fact you can choose a Ralts as your starter, it is tied with Umbreon at being my favorite pokemon.

pizzaz007
February 5th, 2011, 7:14 PM
Well, during my first playthrough of this game (I LOVED it by the way), I found a game breaking bug. When you get the guards key and go down into the sewers and the girl lets you in (sorry, i forgot her name :P), if you die while wondering in those sewers, you can never be let through again, because she doesn't come to get you. You probably need to fix that bug, but other than that, the game looks EPIC :D

myokan
February 12th, 2011, 5:49 AM
Great hack! The Silvertone Slums or whatever they're called seem impossible to get through. I think you should have it least changed the OW of ID though.

SuperSmash5
February 15th, 2011, 6:59 PM
While I haven't played altogether many hacks, this one is my absolute favorite by far. It's the only hack I've come across that is heavily based around what appears to be developing into a deep and very gripping story. I loved the cliffhanger even though it was spoiled because I read too much of this thread. :( There were some parts of it that I thought were a little forced like the fact that the main character is suddenly a robot and the deal with timeless grove, but I won't be too critical because I know you've already completed the story. I would just recommend maybe lengthening the opening a little. I don't know how intensive that would be but I don't think it would be too hard to add a few more lines of dialogue and maybe make the run through the base just a little longer. It just felt really fast with the 'leg-enhancements'.

As far as game mechanics go, there was only one thing that I felt was somewhat annoying and that was how hard it was to find the second exit to the Silvertone Sewers with so many doors. There were also a lot of trainer battles down there, perhaps a few too many.

The only other thing I might suggest is perhaps modifying the starters a little more. To be honest, with the exception of Ralts, I found them to be rather off-putting. Changing the stats and some of the moves was nice, but I think you might even be able to take it farther. For example, you could give Ralts moves like Shadow Ball, Shock Wave, Disable, Psywave, Confuse Ray, Recover, or Mist Ball. You could give Seedot/Nuzleaf moves like Quick Attack, Mach Punch, Detect, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Spore or Beat Up. Machop only has normal and fighting type moves so you could try things like Rock Tomb, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Earthquake, or Outrage. I also thought Pound would be more appropriate than Tackle for Ralts but whatever.

I like coming up with interesting and surprising movesets for pokemon, but those are really just ideas that I thought I might share if you wanted to steal some of them or use them to help think of some movesets of your own, or not. I don't want to get in the way of whatever direction you're taking this hack.

Fezao4
February 19th, 2011, 1:36 PM
Wow...Really nice Story Line.
So we need to Identity persons right?No we dont need...
Well...I started whit an Ralts Because I wanted Gardevoir or Gallade.Aster Started with an Seedot!Who Started with Machop.....I think the Mysterious Girl....Whit Erika s Sprite.I think she s naame is the sister name or Erika(The Original name).

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww130/zappy_flash/ashgray2copy.png (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=180722)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/flah117/eletric.png (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=182043)
http://i25.tinypic.com/2i0ekp3.jpg (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=184311)

Ocarion
February 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
The mysterious woman is someone's sister and YOU chose the name at the beginning of the gameplay. I don't remember all the deails because it has been a while ,but its still mt favorite hack of all time.

aka825
March 3rd, 2011, 2:31 PM
The mysterious woman is someone's sister and YOU chose the name at the beginning of the gameplay. I don't remember all the deails because it has been a while ,but its still mt favorite hack of all time.

No, the woman is not ID's sister, or at least we do not know yet. We do not get to name her; in fact, she has no name other than "Mysterious Woman". The actual sister we name in the intro is not involved at any point of the game, except the blackout (if I remember). Just wanted to clarify.

VGAura
March 7th, 2011, 9:45 PM
I didn't want to do this but each day that passes convinces me more and more. After 2 months of not being able to work on it, its clear that I cannot keep up with the time and energy required to make significant progress on this hack anytime soon. Therefore, I've decided to suspend this hack for now. When the time comes where I find that I have enough free time to make a good amount of progress on this hack, I will try to get as much done as possible.

But in secret.

If it turns out I REALLY cannot finish the hack, I'll convert all of the in-game dialogue and events into a short novel and post it in the Fan Fic and Writing forum, so the full story will be revealed one way or another.

Semyaza
March 8th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear of your troubles and wish you luck in their resolution.

aka825
March 8th, 2011, 4:47 PM
....:'(

There is nothing more to say. If this game ends it's existence, well... A fan will unfortunately take over. But it will not be the same. It never is. I hope that you will find all the free time you require.

Cheering for you and Id!

Vrai
March 8th, 2011, 7:01 PM
....:'(

There is nothing more to say. If this game ends it's existence, well... A fan will unfortunately take over. But it will not be the same. It never is. I hope that you will find all the free time you require.

Cheering for you and Id!

I don't think a fan will take over. a) No one ever took over ShinyGold, b) we have very good staff in Emulation and I don't think they'd allow a random person to just take over someone else's hack that they've worked their ass off for.

But yeah, hope you find more time to work on this, VGAura. It was, imho, one of the best hacks around. :(