• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROOMIES ANYONE?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
So yeah.. Have you guys ever had a roommate before? Maybe at a college or university.. or just maybe sharing a flat or house with a few other students or working professionals? How was living with them? Was it fun? Or unbearable?
Or do you have to share a room with a sibling? Or perhaps you share the house with a sibling? How do you get along with them?

What are your thoughts with living with other people? Are you looking forward to it? Or are you scared of it?

I have a roommate. I'm one week away from finishing school but it recently just feels so UNBEARABLE and actually STRESSFUL to be going back to residence after a hard day at school. I live on-campus.. seperate rooms but a shared kitchen and bathroom with one other girl.
Ever since the semester started she tells me "OH I GOTTA STOP DRINKING" and then goes out every second day to drink and party. That's fine. Do it OUT of my room/ kitchen. But then she comes back. 3AM or later.. drunk. Slamming doors cause she probably feels like turds.. and then DECIDES TO COOK A DINNER. And no, we're not talking about pouring some water and making some macaroni and cheese. NO. LET'S PULL OUT THE POTS AND PANS AND COOK SOME SORT OF 3-COURSE MEAL. At 3AM!!!!!
Ok. Then after the spring break. Same story. She DID ask me if she could bring some friends over for a pre-drinking get-together. Yeah. "Some" friends? I don't want a party in my kitchen. Especially if you're going to be using ALL OF MY GLASSES AND THEN CLAIM TO HAVE WASHED THEM AND THEN WHEN I PULL ONE OUT I SEE GROSS WHITE FINGERPRINTS AND SMEARS ALL OVER THEM. Like.. how dirty can you get? It's disgusting. AND THEN SHE EATS MY FOOD? Um. WHAT?
She has the nerve to be like "OH MY ROOMMATE NEVER REPLACES THE FOIL IN THE TOASTER OVEN OR TAKES OUT THE GARBAGE." When I was in my room and she came in with a friend and I was like.. "Hello? I haven't been eating in the kitchen FOR A WEEK because the film was due. I've been eating in the studio. That's YOUR garbage. And this is MY toaster-oven. So I can replace it whenever I WANT TO."
And when I came home at 12ish one night from working at the studio.. I go to the bathroom to wash my face. Oh. Look. My facecloth has BLACK STAINS AND SMEARS ALL OVER IT FROM WHERE YOU WASHED YOUR MAKEUP OFF. WHAT? Who the HECK said we're sharing FACECLOTHS? That's DISGUSTING. I ALREADY PUT A COMMON-USE TOWEL IN THE BATHROOM SO YOU CAN DRY YOUR HANDS ON IT. DON'T USE MY PERSONAL HYGIENIC STUFF.

Lastly. She's been bringing some guys over. Like.. ALL the time. This one guy has been sleeping over now for 2 WEEKS. Every night. Night after night. They come in, they go out, they come in, they go out. What the HELL? It's 1AM make up YOUR MIND. And CLOSE THE DOOR IF YOU'RE GONNA BE MAKING OUT I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR SALIVA SLOSHING AROUND LIKE IT'S SOME JACUZZI WHEN I JUST WANT TO GRAB A GLASS OF WATER FROM THE FRIDGE.

No common courtesy. No common decency. Utter IMMATURE BEHAVIOR. I can't wait to get out of this place.

:/ And don't you hate when people tell you they have MORALS and then you find out that they really don't and that they gotta get their lives together? Yet.. are so pompous that they don't realize that it really ISN'T right to be letting RANDOM MEN stay the night.. WHEN THE SCHOOL RESIDENCY DOORS DO NOT HAVE LOCKS ON THEM.

(LOL.. I know this is a bit of a rant.. but it sparks some good discussion)
Anyways.. what's your story with roommates? Love em? Or hate em?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I will have 3 roomates in my dorm when I transfer this Fall and I'm both excited and nervous.

Years
I shared a house with 6 other people for a while, then a different house with, I think, 9 other people. I had a room to myself in the first one and I shared a room (actually a converted attic) with a friend in the second.

House 1 was usually no problem because we were all friends and didn't care for parties in our living space. We had two bathrooms and there was never really a problem with people borrowing other people's things. The only issue was with the kitchen because among us there were a couple of amateur cooks who were always experimenting and it got kind of messy and they didn't always think about whose things they were using, but they were good about cleaning up usually. It was still fun most of the time because we all respected each other's personal space.

House 2 was a different case. It was a cruddy house. Two stories plus the attic that I shared with a friend from House 1. It got hot and stuffy during the day and cold at night. I swear you could feel the house shake when cars drove by. The place should have been torn down. I didn't know any of the 5 or so people on the first floor because they had their own kitchen, but I was always fighting for space in the fridge with the people on the second floor because they kept stuffing it with their booze. It was a tiny kitchen too and never stayed clean. Every week or two someone decided they wanted a party so I'd have to weave my way through 20 or 30 people to get to my cell, I mean room and even then the walls were like cardboard so I couldn't exactly sleep if I needed to. Oh, and all the locks on the doors were broken so people could, and sometimes did, walk in whenever they wanted. I didn't stay there long.

The lesson I learned: you can tell a lot about someone by how they treat their kitchen. Don't live with people who like to party, or if you do make sure they party elsewhere. The best people to live with are people who treat their home like a temple.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
So yeah.. Have you guys ever had a roommate before? Maybe at a college or university.. or just maybe sharing a flat or house with a few other students or working professionals? How was living with them? Was it fun? Or unbearable?
Or do you have to share a room with a sibling? Or perhaps you share the house with a sibling? How do you get along with them?

In college, I've had a few roommates. All have quickly moved out leaving me alone, presumably because my allergies keep me from being the best of roommates, lol.

Then when I was 11 or so there was that week I spent in the depths of Hell summer camp where I was roomed with 25 other kids in some sort of army barracks like building. That was dreadful.

What are your thoughts with living with other people? Are you looking forward to it? Or are you scared of it?
I'm neutral on the issue, actually. I'm not bothered by others, but apparently my late-night allergy-induced itching is disturbing to others:/

Ayselipera

Thankfully I haven't had to live with anyone besides my own family yet. I say thankfully because I'm pretty meticulous about how my living space should be and I haven't met anyone my age who is the same way. So, you could say I'm a bit worried for when college comes around.

The one thing I've noticed about myself is that I have the same mentality of an 80 year old grandmother. I like my house to be extremely clean and quiet. My room is the pinnacle of cleanliness. You could eat off the floor as the say. I prefer when the house is quiet because when there is a lot of noise going on I can't even think straight. I hate when people watch TV or listen to music wicked loud. It's always bad music too. :'(

The closest I've come to 'living' with someone else were sleepovers. Even then over that short period of time I get slightly annoyed. Either their room is messy or the whole family is messy and there is just mess everywhere. Better yet I've been to messy and extremely loud friends' houses. I remember back when I was eight or nine I had my first sleepover at a friend's house. Their house was a disaster and I literally didn't know what to think. At eight years old I thought everyone was the same as my family... so it was a bit of culture shock if you want to call it that.

So yeah as you can see I'm definitely nervous. Though I suppose rooming with a messing person isn't half as bad as rooming with someone who is completely annoying in every way. :/

Last edited:

Stairmaster

Banned
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 31, 2010
I have a roommate. We get along very well. We're like sisters, except we don't fight like sisters.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Still living with my family at the moment, but I don' think I'd mind living with someone as long as they kept the house clean and didn't use it for parties.

The one thing I've noticed about myself is that I have the same mentality of an 80 year old grandmother. I like my house to be extremely clean and quiet. My room is the pinnacle of cleanliness. You could eat off the floor as the say. I prefer when the house is quiet because when there is a lot of noise going on I can't even think straight. I hate when people watch TV or listening to music wicked loud. It's always bad music too. :'(

I have to say I agree with you there. I don't particularly mind about noise just as long as it isn't blaring on full blast. In fact silence annoys me.

Years
I've had several roommates.

One locked his door when he slept. His alarm would be going off and he'd be sleeping through it. At 4am!

Another had the nasty habit of not flushing his morning business.

So I moved back in with my parents.

.hack

skunkape
Years
Well, I've never had a room-mate before since I'm only 15 and still live at home =/
I'm kinda looking forward to it since I'm only ever going to become roomies with a friend, and well, I like my friends.
However I've had a terrible experience with living with a sibling.
I constantly fight with my brother, and I'm not talking arguments.
Still, I'd never be friends with someone like him, and like I already said I wouldn't become roomies with someone I didn't know. Then again if I go to the same college as my cousin I might stay at his shared flat since places are always opening as most people don't tend to stay long, and I've been there before, it's a nice house.
So yah, although maybe a bit worried, I'd say more-so excited about getting Roomies =3

Honest

Hi!
Years
Well, I don't really have a roommate. But I do have a bunk bed in my room which I unfortunately have to share with my sister. But she's coolio so no worries here. =) I sleep on the top!

Years
My boyfriend, who still lives at home, has his best friend sharing a room with him since he got kicked out.
He's always on Tom's computer, and never lets him on, he leaves the room a total mess and if I'm over and we're either playing pokémon, watching TV or just cuddling with each other he will do something stupid like change the channel, play loud music or jump ontop of us. And it's even worse when it's 10am and he's playing his guitar PLUGGED INTO the amp with Tom's dad trying to sleep next door. Not to mention he calls Tom fat (He's very self-concious), and tells him he looks like a frog.

We can't even say "I love you" to one another without him saying something irritating.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
Years
Yes, I lived with three guys I've never seen before for a while. They were nice, but it's surely not as good as home. It's just funny how when you are young you want to leave home, then you see it's not as magic as it was in your plans and you end up going back home with low tail.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I've only had one roommate, in 10th grade. Actually, it was from February 28th to March 27th.

See, we were up in New York, staying with families, and all the girls in our class/grade were paired with another girl from our class/grade. And, depending on the number of free rooms the family had depended on whether those two girls roomed together or not. Now, I had a roommate, and we shared a bunk bed. I got bottom bunk, she got top bunk.

And quite frankly, it wasn't half bad. Two of her friends from our class were five houses down, so she was pretty much over there hanging with them and whatnot, which allowed me to be by myself. And when we were together, we got along well and exchanged stuff and such. It was pretty fun :3

Of course, I know that if I ever share a room in college, it may not be as fun, depending on the type of person or people I'm rooming with and all, but hey, this gave me a partial experience.

Oh, and Idk if sharing a cabin/hotel room/small building/tent with other girls for 3 days to roughly a week counts either. However, the times that stuff has happened (6th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade, and 10th grade) I pretty much got along with everyone.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
Years
To be honest, having a roomie sounds kind of... fun. :D I'm not too sure if I'd like one though, though if I did, It'd have to be someone who isn't messy and leaves their junk lying everywhere.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Yeah, but it was only for a summer program that gives you college credits. I was the one with a bunch of junk shoved in one corner. I was also the one always coming home late, and talking to another roommate keeping the rest of them up. >:D

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
Years
Yeah, but it was only for a summer program that gives you college credits. I was the one with a bunch of junk shoved in one corner. I was also the one always coming home late, and talking to another roommate keeping the rest of them up. >:D

Ohh what kind of a summer program is that?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I've only had roommates twice. Both this year and last year when I participate in math and science competitions statewide. Both ended in blood, gore, and guts spilled all over the room with a side of noise from the girl's rooms.

And with just that, anyone can see I am not much of a rooming person. I always prefer to be by myself. I simply find life much easier.

Magik?!

Georgums.
Years
I haven't got to the college/uni stage yet, but I go to boarding school where we have to share rooms. We switch rooms every 9-14 weeks (each term), so that if we're in with someone we really don't get on with, we can get out. There's a House meeting the week before Room Change so that we can organize the rooms, but if you're listed for say, the Dorm (six girls, three 12/13 year olds, one 13/14 and then two in my year - 14/15), then it's pretty difficult to get out, because everyone in my year has to spend at least one term in there. The other rooms are all doubles or triples, with people either in my year or the year above, so it's not too bad, but the Dorm is pretty awful.

I spent my first term in a tiny double room with another girl who was new in my year, for the first week or so we were pretty good friends. After that, it was a nightmare - she was jealous of me because of a few things, and I couldn't stand her with her dumb blond act/attitude. But I knew I would be moving soon, so I didn't get too worried about it, she spent most of the time out of the room and my friends came in while she was there anyways, so I kinda dealt with that. It was little things about her that annoyed me - like the way she always unplugged my adaptor to put her phone in, even though I told her that my alarm clock reset every time it lost power... or the way she always stood infront of BOTH wardrobes while doing her hair/makeup, so I couldn't get to them. I learnt a lot about being considerate for others in those weeks - I figured out what annoyed me and decided not to do it for anyone else xD

After that, I got put in the Dorm... which was actually not too bad - I had my own cubicle-like area, and I was able to get to my wardrobe! It was noisy though, and the younger ones acted much younger than they are, so I got annoyed a lot.

Thankfully, due to a new girl coming in, I got moved out of the Dorm after three weeks, and moved into a double with a girl who is probably my bestfriend. That was the best room so far, we got on really well, respected each other's spaces and stuff and we just generally had a good time.

Now I'm in a triple with two other girls from my year, one who is very loud and one who is very quiet xD Surprisingly it's working out well, but it's slightly cramped, so the room is a constant mess, but we each try to contain our mess to our own space to be nice.

I actually enjoy sharing a room, because I have the tendancy to be slightly antisocial at times, but having a roommate means I always have someone at least to talk to or whatever. Plus between my two current roommates, I have all my classes with at least one of them... meaning they remind me about homeworks! I'm always glad to get back home though, to my own room (which my older sister occasionally invades, though she's very welcome to), and to some peace and quiet. I think the experience of boarding school and roommates will make it a lot easier when I have housemates in uni and stuff, as I've learnt what can irritate people... the hard way.

Years
My sister practically *lives* in my room [she has her own -- in the next corner]. She gets annoying trying to show me some shoddy Youtube Poop videos.

So I'd say, due to my experiences "dealing" [read: being made fun of or criticized] with people, then I'd say a big NO personally to roommates.

Years
If I am honest, tl;dr.

But, replying to the title of the thread, I have lived with different flatmates for 2 years now.
If you live with idiots, it is annoying.
Lived with 3 idiots last year, out of 6, including me.

Just ignored them most of the time and it was all good. However, living with people you get on with is just amazing, especially rather attractive females! LOL!

Back