• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Standard or Legacy?

Years
I remember making threads on this topic before in OVP, so I figured I'll remake a third to add to the bunch.

For those of you who aren't in the know, there are two ways in which you can view forum posts.

Click the spoilers for examples.

Standard

Spoiler:

Legacy

Spoiler:

Should you wish to change your post-bit alignment, simply go to Options in the User Control Panel and scroll down until you see the option to alter between the two settings.

So, which do you prefer and why?

I joined PC while Legacy was a default setting and had used it for practically years, but it was only recently that I started using Standard instead and became accustomed to it.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Legacy was internet-standard for years before whichever iteration of vB came out and changed that... and when said iteration came out, I thought I would never, ever get used to it but I eventually did. Now I find it so restricting to see someone with a screenshot of legacy that I can't imagine using it. Not only would big avatars get annoying, but so would any long-ish username, a long location. It just feels so crowded and condensed.

So standard all the way. ♥

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
Years
I tried legacy yesterday actualy. xD; It's neat, but I'm not that used to it, so I prefer to use standard since I've been using it all this time. ^__^

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
Years
I think I've replied in all of your topic relating to this.

I don't have a problem with any of them. I constantly change my post alignment whenever I'm bored. Right now, I'm using Legacy, but I should be changing to Standard soon. A while back, I can't stand the sight of Legacy, but I've grown used to it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
When I joined PC I'd wondered why the layout was all... wrong. Always used legacy since I tried it wondering what the setting actually changed and realised. This place is the only forum I've ever been at with something other than legacy. From a practical standpoint, 'standard' (still a misnomer by my observations, really) makes posts taller than they need to be, and puts preliminary user information in two parts each across the screen from one another; bothersome.

Gabri

m8
Years
When I came here, Standard was the default option, but after some time I changed to Legacy and got used to it. It looks nicer to me.
Like Cassino said, Standard makes the information split into two parts and that's ugly in large resolutions like mine.

So yeah, Legacy here.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I joined when Legacy was the norm, so I use it. I don't think I could get used to Standard.

And The One Above makes so much more sense in Legacy.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
Years
When I joined PokeCommunity it was my first forum to actually join and the set up was in a standard format, I knew no different until I found the setting of Legacy and tried it for a week, but the avatar and etc. being on the left hand side annoyed me therefore I just went back to Standard and I still continue to use Standard as it's my most comfortable now. Maybe in the future I will try using Legacy once again but I doubt that I will ever use it consistently, just those random moments when I feel a need of a change.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
i like the style of legacy (with signatures disabled) but i don't like how avatars aren't centered and larger ones stretch that left column so things kinda look uneven. i don't have any complaints about standard, and it's what i've always used; every once in awhile i'll switch to legacy, i just can't use it for too long.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I joined the internet forum craze when standard was just starting to become default on most forums, so it was weird in 2009 to see a forum use legacy, as I thought that must have been a new style of VB. I like either or, regardless. Though I prefer Standard a little bit more, due to nostalgia.

Ayselipera

I used standard for a very long time until finally someone told me how to change it to legacy. I love the layout of legacy a lot better so I've kept it to that ever since. I really don't think I'll ever change back to standard to be honest.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years
Both of the other forums I visit have "legacy" as default, so that's what i'm used to seeing.
I had this site on standard until I stumbled across this thread and found out you could change it.

Legacy all the way.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Early on, I was a happy Standard User. Then I discovered the Legacy thing in the User CP. It honestly looks so much better. And now I am happier here with Legacy.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I initially joined when Legacy was the norm and was so used to it that i never changed it even when Standard became an option. If I log into my original account, it's set to view threads in Legacy. :P

However, in the interim years between when I was active then and when I made this account, I spent many days at GameFAQs, which uses a Standard-esque display style, so when I made a new PC account, I kept the default Standard postbit out of habit. :D

Personally, I can go either way, Legacy doesn't interrupt the flow of one post into the next, but Standard gets less crowded, so whatevah. :/

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I like them both, but I like standard slightly more. It was the default when I joined PC, so as a result... I like it better. :3 Legacy get's annoying with large avatars/long names.

Years
When I joined, Legacy was standard the one used by default, so it's just what I associate with PC. *shrugs* I've kept it this way for years and I imagine that's not going to change anytime soon. Even though, with my 1024x768 screen resolution, it'd probably make more sense to change it to Standard. But... it's... just not PC to me unless it's Legacy. T_T I've gotten used to the inconveniences of it, so whatever.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In Bulbagarden, it was in the legacy format, and I got used to it. Now that I'm in PE, it's in the standard format. It felt weird at first, but I eventually got used to it. So I'm going with both legacy and standard.

Back