• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B&W's Version Differences

The Red Chain

Usually the version differences in Pokemon games are primarily the Pokemon themselves, this however isn't the case in B&W. There are areas that are different depending on your version too ; as well as battle styles. Now these are some pretty strange changes and what I want to know is,

What do you think of the version difference changes?

I personally really like the idea of making areas that look different depending on your version. Same goes for rotational battles and triple battles. :3

What do you think is the best part of the version differences?

I think the area changes are the best part probably. Like how Soryuu City has a very "technological" look in Black, then it has a more town-like appearance in White. Black City and White Forest are clever ideas too.. they not only look different, they operate different too!

Which game, in your opinion, has the best differences?

The version with the best differences to me is White. This is because it's not all based around technology and because it has most of my favorite Pokemon as version exclusives. ^^

Please remember to put the one you're picking in this thread here.
This one's just for discussing the version differences~.

Last edited:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
Years
I really like how they turn it up a notch the version differences. I think the best version difference is White. Because you get White city, in which you could be able a whole lot more Pokemon, unlike in Black City, in which you can only battle their 3rd form.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
I found this difference awful, I mean, you can get in White like 70-80 Pokèmon more than Black, so if I play Black, I'm forced to trade with a White version, or Pokèshifting a lot, or even buying both games.
And now that my DS is broken, I have to buy 2 DSs. :(

tmega1990

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 27, 2011
I like all the cool version differences. I like how in one version you battle Iris and in the other you battle Drayden. I also like how Black City and White Forest are version differences too!

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
I found this difference awful, I mean, you can get in White like 70-80 Pokèmon more than Black, so if I play Black, I'm forced to trade with a White version, or Pokèshifting a lot, or even buying both games.
And now that my DS is broken, I have to buy 2 DSs. :(

You can get the Pokemon in Pokemon Black too. You just need to High Link the games together, which requires two games and two DSs, so you might as well have to trade them. D: At least, I think you can catch the Pokemon you encounter in high link.

I like them. For the first time, it's not like playing the exact same game over and over again.

Black City and White Forest. Kind of forces you to get both games. Smart marketing :D

I don't know..White has the best areas. Black has the best Pokemon. I say it's a tie.

blue

gucci
Years
Yeah, It's a good idea including more Version differences such as areas and Black City & White Forest, it makes both games more unique and less similar to eachother,

Years
I love the version specific areas. I don't see what the big problem with Black City is; you can buy some really rare things there and battle some tough trainers.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022

They are a great addition.

It gives you a feeling that you're playing a diffident game.

White. Reshiram is just offensive and you can get 50+ more Pokemon in White because of White Forest.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021

They're pretty cool, it's nice that they're justifying two versions a bit more than they usually do. That said the more different they are the more I feel like I should buy both. :S

The pokemon really, the different city styles are nice but they're just a gimmick that will wear off after a while.

I think White has the best pokemon differences (Reuniclus! :3) and also I prefer the more natural style. Plus with white forest being able to catch a few extra pokemon will mean White version players will have a better more trading power than black players....at least for the first couple of weeks.

Adam.

Knowledge isn't everything.
Years
I am amazed at the version differences in this Generation. I mean, alternate places is just amazing! However, I think there might be a gender divide with the version-exclusive Pokemon this Generation; all the one's in Black seem to be 'feminine' while the one's in White seem more 'masculine', if you catch my drift...

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
They really pushed the version differences in this generation, and yes I also think that Black City and White Forest are some of the most clever ideas. Im hoping for more in the future :]

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
1. I think the version changes is a neat concept. (Black City, White Forest). I wish it were the other way around (Black Forest, White City)

2. You can catch new Pokemon in White Forest (even rare ones like Togepi and Porygon)

3. White, because Iris is in it.

Snowflakes

GONNA HATE?
Years
Well, I really do like them. I mean, it makes the games more diverse. It, in a way, offers something for everyone. If you like going for the "complete the Pokedex" goal, White favors that, and if you're for "train Pokemon to be the best" goal, Black favors that. I bet the third game will be some sort of combination of both games...but back on topic, I really do like these extreme version differences. c:

Black City and White Forest. It really defines the mini-theme of "Technology vs. Nature" in these games. Plus, someone said earlier that it's smart marketing. xD Different areas in different games that offer different things to help you is genius.

Hmm...hard choice. I have to say Black, though. It has much better Pokemon (aside from Seedbby and Zekrom) than in White and it simply looks AWESOME. ;P Heh. Besides, you could always trade to get the Pokemon you miss out on if you get Black instead of White.

blue

gucci
Years
And I hear that there are more Version differences in Pokémon Black & White than in any other game, which is great IMO because it makes both games more unique and gives you a different experience.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Usually the version differences in Pokemon games are primarily the Pokemon themselves, this however isn't the case in B&W. There are areas that are different depending on your version too ; as well as battle styles. Now these are some pretty strange changes and what I want to know is,

Overall, I think the version differences for BW are great additions, as they help to better justify the release of a Pokemon game in two different versions.

The best part is probably the parallel graphical style of the two games. Black Version being more futuristic, while White Version is more rural.

IMO, White Version has the best differences. I mean, 80 more Pokemon than Black Version! And Black owners are forced to link up to access additional Pokemon, while White owners already have them in-game. What the heck is the Black City good for, anyway? All I see is that you get some more subpar Trainers to battle... The only things that help Black Version's justification is the version exclusives, Reshiram and its elements, and the rural graphical theme.

Oh, and though Old Man Shaga might be cooler, White Version has Iris. :cer_love:

The part I'm on the fence about is the triple/rotational battle exclusivity. I kind of think both games should have had an equal amount, but it does help to differentiate the 2 games...

You can get the Pokemon in Pokemon Black too. You just need to High Link the games together, which requires two games and two DSs, so you might as well have to trade them. D: At least, I think you can catch the Pokemon you encounter in high link.

Black City and White Forest. Kind of forces you to get both games. Smart marketing :D

More like forcing Black Version owners to get the other game. >_> Excluding the standard version differences from past generations, the differing graphical styles seem like the only reason to get both versions. White Forest seems way better than Black City...

Years
in DPPt, the only differences was that you got either Dialga, Palkia or Giratina. D:

I like the differences on BW, especially Black City & White Forest.
also, my favourite pokemon from BW (Lilligant, Braviary etc.) are exclusive to White, and thats what i'm getting.

I prefer White.

Back