• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gay couple and their family forced to leave an Ontario Tim Horton's

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Patricia and her gender queer [transgender] partner Riley were sitting on the bench in front of Tim Horton's with nine of their family members; which included mom, brother, cousin and various other relatives drinking coffee. Inside Tim Horton's was the Pastor of Glad Tidings Church who felt in necessary to stare down the couple and theirfamily. After speaking to the Pastor, the manager of Tim Horton's approached the couple and told them what they were doing was unacceptable and that Tim Horton's was a "family friendly environment". The couple looked at the manager with shock and hurt as they were there with their family. When asked what they had done to offend people, the Manager said they were touching, hand holding and making out – The later involved a single kiss the couple had shared in front of mom. The couple gave the standard response stating that heterosexual couples have done the same for all eternity, why was it wrong for this couple? To which the manager declared that the couple had five minutes to leave the property or else the Police would be called. To add insult to injury as the couple was leaving the Tim Horton's parking lot the current reigning Pastor according to the Church website, Ken Powell chose that time to hold a prayer circle in the Tim Horton's parking lot to pray for the couple's souls. The Pastor was joined by 15+ citizens and the prayer circle was held in front of the couple's family members.
Source
(I added the "[transgender]" part for clarification)

Just sickening, really. All I can say is this: if I were there, I would have walked off with the family to show my support for them. Also, I hope those people who had that prayer also repented for hatred.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Well then, all I can say is that THAT particular Tim Horton's would have lost my business, at least until a new manager was brought in or something. -__-

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well then, all I can say is that THAT particular Tim Horton's would have lost my business, at least until a new manager was brought in or something. -__-

I wouldn't really blame the manager tbh. His job is to make money - do you really think he wanted to turn away 11 people? He probably had to weigh the business of the pastor and his entire church against the business of that group. What was done was reprehensible, but I wouldn't be so quick to throw blame around.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years

I wouldn't really blame the manager tbh. His job is to make money - do you really think he wanted to turn away 11 people? He probably had to weigh the business of the pastor and his entire church against the business of that group. What was done was reprehensible, but I wouldn't be so quick to throw blame around.

That is true, I hadn't thought of that...as much as it angers me he does have the right to refuse service to anyone he wants. :\

Years

Still, it's wrong. Either the manager felt similarly to the pastor and didn't mind the loss of some revenue if it kept him within his personal morals where this kind of prejudice is acceptable, or he was pressured into kicking them out when his own morals might have been more "live and let live." So the manager was either a jerk or a pushover.

It reminds me of that one television show where they put actors in situations like this to see how bystanders react. There's one which is just like this, actually.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
In situations like this, the manager could have either done the right thing or the easy thing.

He did the easy thing.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As if we didn't have enough people that embarrass those who follow religion. Thanks, pastor! Yeah. Had I been there and I saw what was going on, I would have approached the manager and told him he made a mistake. I would have approached the pastor and said that for a Christian, he needs to learn to love thy neighbor, know we're all God's creatures, etc etc etc. You know. That part of Christianity most "Christians" ignore? Yeah. That stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back