• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion of poverty?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
There are many poor countries around the globe. People there lives in horrible conditions. They doesn't have clean water and no food. And they have all kinds of diseases and they don't have any money.

Every year many countries donates millions and millions of dollars to poor countries to help them.

Do you think other countries donates enough money for the poor countries?
If not, how much should they donate then?
Is it right thing to begging money on the streets?
Have you ever given money for the charity and does it make you feel happy?

What do you think about the whole thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Usually, 3rd world countries' poverty is a result of something the West did (See in part Colonialism) so I think naturally we should bear more of the burden of lifting them out of poverty. I've given money to charitites before, and it's nice to know that you're helping in some way.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I think more than enough money is donated in most cases. Unfortunately, it almost all goes to the corporate governments that rule those countries. Very little actually makes its way into the hands of the people or put to good use. The rest of it just fuels corruption and worsens the problem.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I don't think that countries donate enough money to other countries, but I think the individuals of the country try to regularly enough. As the above poster said, much of the money from the majority of major charities go straight back into the charity or the government and not where it should be going. It would be nice to see some sort of figures easily accessible to the public talking about what the money is going to, how many people are donating, how much has been donated, and what has actually changed. Until I see things like this, I won't give to any charities because I don't think it'll make any real difference and because I think we should solve our own issues before the issues of others, even if their issues are admittedly far greater than our own.

Regarding the money on the streets thing, I think it's unfair to ask for money in public because of the added pressure it places on the person being asked. I think that if people really want to donate then they will do so because of the adverts on TV, or whichever sources charities use to advertise. It also doesn't look good on the charity itself to send people out asking random and uninterested strangers for money.

This post goes for most charities, by the way, not just poverty ones.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Regarding the money on the streets thing, I think it's unfair to ask for money in public because of the added pressure it places on the person being asked. I think that if people really want to donate then they will do so because of the adverts on TV, or whichever sources charities use to advertise. It also doesn't look good on the charity itself to send people out asking random and uninterested strangers for money.

This post goes for most charities, by the way, not just poverty ones.
Within your own local community, I would say the best thing to do would be to contribute to local organizations, shelters, food banks, and soup kitchens. They have the means to help those in need. While giving money directly to someone on the street... most likely your money will not be put to good use.

Years
Regarding poorer countries around the world, there are two ways you can help them:

1) Send money, buy food, and basically give them supplies and aid as they need it. Send in doctors if there's a sudden epidemic. Fly in some food if there's a drought. That sort of thing.

2) Help build local infrastructure. Not just roads and buildings, but people as well. Help build irrigation systems so that previously arid land can be used to provide food for people. Train doctors who already live in the area. And so on.

I think it's clear that I see the logic in "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life." It's not the easier solution - it would take more time, money, and effort - but it's the best one in the long run. The trouble is, of course, in identifying the problems, the causes of the problems, and then the best solutions to them. (Plus, you do have times when you need to send in lots of food because there is no time or chance to build things up - and that all eats at the money you could use for long-term help.) Really though, if you just ask people who live in poverty, or aid workers who work in poverty stricken areas, what they need most you'll usually know what needs doing most and probably you'd get some great ideas on how to fix things. I just don't think people listen, or want to listen. Like in parts of sub-Saharan Africa you would cut down on AIDS cases and many other problems of poverty if you provided contraception to people. That doesn't get the heartstrings pulled like some charities would prefer, but that's the reality of it.

Years
Not to mention, I doubt many people voluntarily choose welfare, government assistance, and being poor over a normal life. Even though though are American politicians who seem to think its their own fault that they're on foodstamps.

bump

Back