• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Over-run by grass?

Nagaraja

আমি সর্প থেকে নোয়ান নিচে হবে
Years
So, while re-playing Pokemon Black.... I noticed the over-abundance of grass pokemon... And the complete lack of fire pokemon. It's not just black and white, but in previous games as well... this bothers me, I don't know why. I love grass pokemon, but it doesn't make for strong team building....I understand that some of them are multi-type which makes it a little bit easier, but something about it just annoys me. Your thoughts?

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
Okay, we have the Snivy line, the Pansage line, the Sewaddle line, the Cottonee and Petilil lines, Maractus, the Deerling line, the Foongus line, the Ferroseed line, and Virizion.

That sure is a lot of Grass Pokemon.

And for the Fire Pokemon, we have Victini, the Tepig line, the Pansear line, the Darumaka line, the Litwick line, Heatmor, and Reshiram.

I barely noticed how much Grass type Pokemons we have.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yeah, I noticed the huge number of Gen V Grass Pokemon right from the very start. it wasn't easy building a team with those numbers in mind because most of those Pokemon aren't very good in battle (save for Sawsbuck and Ferrothorn).

Minishcap

Fecaloma
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
I agree. My impression was that most Grass Pokémon came early in the game while the really good Fire ones came late.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
And for the Fire Pokemon, we have Victini, the Tepig line, the Pansear line, the Darumaka line, the Litwick line, Heatmor, and Reshiram.

Don't forget the Volcarona line!

Each generation varies in how much of a particular type is introduced. The first generation was loaded with a wide variety of types, but there were a lot of grass/poison and rock/ground dual typings. It did introduce the Charmander line (probably the most popular starter Pokemon), Growlithe and Vulpix lines, Ponyta line, Magmar, and Moltres. However, the number of fire-types steadily decreased with generations, as Generation IV had only Chimchar's line, Magmortar, and Heatran, not to mention the only other fire-types available pre-Elite Four were the Ponyta line. Generations I and II introduced a buttload of water types despite not having much water. Generation II especially, with Totodile's line, Chinchou's line, Corsola, Kingdra, Slowking, Politoed, Remoraid's line, Quilfish, Marill's line, and Suicune. This generation is actually more of a blessing as for the first time, we actually had more grass-types introduced that water. We don't have that great of a selection of water types as we usually do. Sure, we have the Oshawott line, the Panpour line, the Frillish line, Alomomola, Basculin, the Tympole line, the Ducklett line, the Carracosta line, and Keldeo, but that really isn't much.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Imma do actual numbers just so it's easier for me personally to compare all the typings!

There are... 21 Pokemon with a grass typing and 18 with bug, 17 with fighting, 15 with fire, 15 with psychic, 16 with normal, 14 with water, 16 with dark, 17 with flying, 6 with ice, 8 with electric, 9 with rock, 11 with ground, 12 with steel, 7 with poison, 10 with dragon and 9 with ghost.

From those stats I just worked out (may be off one or two), yeaaah there's way too may with a grass typing. Ice really does miss out here with the smallest amount, maybe that'll be changed in Black 2 and White 2? Kinda didn't notice that before!

My theory is that they were gearing the game towards using Emboar at the start. Think about it, up until Skyla you can keep on using Emboar (and a grass type from Pinwheel Forest) without any issues. However on the plus side, there definitely are enough flying types to pretty much keep it balanced out, so that's a good thing. Most of them tend to suck, though. ;x

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
Years
Wow there is heaps of grass Pokemon, but fire types are naturally strong with good stats and so I would think that would be why there isn't much in Unova, all of them are pretty tough, especially Volcarona and Chandelure. However in Sinnoh, is a different story...

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I barely noticed it lacking. I seldome really use grass-type Pokemon, and just once in Unova (twice if I count the random challenge). Besides, grass seemed never to fit in in my team.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
There are 150-ish Unova pokemon and all the types are represented almost evenly. (if i remember correctly)

All 649 counted, there are WAY more water pokemon than other types.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
There are 150-ish Unova pokemon and all the types are represented almost evenly. (if i remember correctly)

Imo... not really, since there are 21 with a grass typing and about 7 with an ice typing, so that's not really even. :(

Back